WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Heads up to those with the 6.2 Raptor engine in their boats

spectras only

Reaction score
My friend has this 23.5 Supra wake boat with the Roush 6.2 Raptor engine, 575 HP, cool. Few days ago, he calls me he sees water pouring into the bilge,so cuts the rpm and limps back to his dock. I put my head into the engine bay, he starts the engine and I immediately find the source on the starboard side exhaust elbow area, after the catalytic converter at the high temperature silicon exhaust coupler hose. There's almost 3" long split where the water comng out and felt the air pushing out. Removed the four hose clamps and the hose comes out easily even though there's only about 2" between the upper and lower exhaust manifold pipes. This silicon hose is extremely thin IMO. I think Indmar chosen this special bellows hose for its flexibility and ease of replacing it. There's no burn marks inside of the bellows, so it shouldn;t have failed with the low hours on this boat. I always used the reinforced greenline exhaust hoses for jet and v drive boats, lasting for years, providing there's always water to cool them.
This picture shows different hoses [ orange in colour ] that looks to go replacing the OEM black rubbery silicon ones he has. What do marine tech say on this board?

1597112974954.png

4Waters

Reaction score
I thought anything over 500hp wasn't required to have cats.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
My friend has this 23.5 Supra wake boat with the Roush 6.2 Raptor engine, 575 HP, cool. Few days ago, he calls me he sees water pouring into the bilge,so cuts the rpm and limps back to his dock. I put my head into the engine bay, he starts the engine and I immediately find the source on the starboard side exhaust elbow area, after the catalytic converter at the high temperature silicon exhaust coupler hose. There's almost 3" long split where the water comng out and felt the air pushing out. Removed the four hose clamps and the hose comes out easily even though there's only about 2" between the upper and lower exhaust manifold pipes. This silicon hose is extremely thin IMO. I think Indmar chosen this special bellows hose for its flexibility and ease of replacing it. There's no burn marks inside of the bellows, so it shouldn;t have failed with the low hours on this boat. I always used the reinforced greenline exhaust hoses for jet and v drive boats, lasting for years, providing there's always water to cool them.
This picture shows different hoses [ orange in colour ] that looks to go replacing the OEM black rubbery silicon ones he has. What do marine tech say on this board?

View attachment 909272

I have honestly not seen this issue with a single one yet. Im Hoping it's just a fluke as I would like to see more Fords making a comeback in the boat world.

The see water strainers on these engine are a known issue though. If you have one, I recommend replacing it with the new updated version. ( its the exact same but has twice as many threads on the cap to help prevent stripping)

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I thought anything over 500hp wasn't required to have cats.

Not required if below a certain production number, but many manufactures are doing it anyway. If you look to the Ilmor 7.4L MV8, it is the same way. Rated just over 500hp and still has ski boat styles cats. Also has a severe and chronic overheating condition (i blame it on the cats)

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Honestly, what does Ford have to do with someone putting this motor in a boat other than manufacturing the motor?🤔
Nothing, but what does Chevy have to do with either? But they did allow Indmar to license the Raptor name and logo....

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Not required if below a certain production number, but many manufactures are doing it anyway. If you look to the Ilmor 7.4L MV8, it is the same way. Rated just over 500hp and still has ski boat styles cats. Also has a severe and chronic overheating condition (i blame it on the cats)

Can the cats be deleted, I mean lost in a tragic boating accident similar to the boating accident in which I lost all my guns?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Can the cats be deleted, I mean lost in a tragic boating accident similar to the boating accident in which I lost all my guns?

The cat elements are removable. But you would also have to find a way to trick the down stream O2 sensors so as not to throw a code and put you in limp mode.

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
The blown Raptors have seen some issues. The naturally aspirated ones are bullet proof.

Goodtime$

Reaction score
Ford has nothing to do with that hose manufacture, Indmar has. Splitting hairs?:p

We use them in our 21 skiers. They work really good. We obviously don’t use those exhaust collectors in a jet boat.

Went to Indmar school.
1. That motor is a turn key ford factory deal
Indmar ecu / alternator / starter / manifolds only

2. Raptor 575sc has the larger 3.5 “ manifolds w cats. Indmar makes ski boat engines, they know tier 4 carb compliance is coming no matter what.

3. Chevy has stopped LSA production for marine engines, only allowing the car guys in the future so be prepared for that.

FVCharlieBoy

Reaction score
I’m having this problem now. The cast iron exhaust manifolds are corroding and flaking off flakes and blocking the water cooling ports on the exhaust. This causes major heat and melts the flex hose.

boatgonebad

Reaction score
What happened with this boat and problem? Have a 2020 Supra 23.5 boat with the raptor 575 engine. Went to Lake Powell and boat started smoking and Indmar claims water in the engine from bad fuel. We were with 2 other boats that filled up the same time same place and had no problems. Motor is destroyed and needs to be replaced and Indmar not wanting to cover anything . We believe water is got in some other way so curious about this problem.

Anyone ever had Indmar ever warranty a motor pretty easy to blame water seems like and void the warranty and how can a customer find the real cause of the motor problem?