WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Helicopter / 360 advice

muttsnuts52

Reaction score
After spending 2 days at the lake crashing as burning I was hoping that there may well be some experienced heads on here that could offer some advice. Desperately trying to land one but it all seems to go a bit wrong. The tip tends to land in the water first. I currently use a taper flex wake jumper chopped to 60" not sure if line length and wake of the boat is important but I've tried a few
Any more info needed I'll do my best to explain
Thanks in advance
Chris

work2ski

Reaction score
I remember seeing a post a couple years ago with someone showing a girl how to do it. I remember seeing a pic of the girl on the beach, but don't remember who wrote it and can't find the post.

I have always wanted to do it, maybe someone will respond and I will try this summer when we're at the river for a week.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you are looking down. When you look down you bring your head forward, which in turn brings your shoulders forward and lowers the tip of the ski. Try to focus your vision on the shoreline when rotating and keep your body straight, sort of like ice skaters when they are doing that spinning thing (don't know what they call that) but not so rigid.

I remember seeing a post a couple years ago with someone showing a girl how to do it. I remember seeing a pic of the girl on the beach, but don't remember who wrote it and can't find the post.

I have always wanted to do it, maybe someone will respond and I will try this summer when we're at the river for a week.

Your talking after Catalina right?????

SKIA36

Reaction score
I posted that picture a while back. It was of Danny Churchill teaching Jill Shadrack how to do helies. Danny is arguably the best waterskier to ever put on a ski. His BIL Stevie Hensler is as well.

muttsnuts52

Reaction score
Thank you guys, that has been invaluable!
I went to our local wake park yesterday just trying to get my eye in with it on a wakeboard first, with varying degrees of success!
However next time I'm out behinde a boat I'll give it a shot! I will post the results! But looking at some photos I'm definetaely looking down!

Henskier

Reaction score
d.jpg
Here's a photo of Danny Churchill completing a helicopter in the late 80's (note the double handles). He could get about 4' in the air.

Reaction score
Ill tell you how Mac Mckenzie taught us. For learning he would start us trying in a turn with the boat. I think to slow the boat down but still have enough wake. Wrap up the direction your going to spin (the short way). Elbow on your handle side tucked tight. Approach the wake in the same way you jump. After you take off give the handle side a little nudge and rotate your head where you want to go. He used to say spin like a top, which meant to jeep your head up and rotate around it. Good luck. Hope that helps

muttsnuts52

Reaction score
94565E5E-D022-4822-89ED-AE7864F04B7F-1964-00000114C255AF4D_zps2cc85bfd.jpg

Another year an still no luck! Hopefully this picture may be enough fr people to critique it and explain where I am still going wrong haha. I want to land it so badly it hurts (literally!)

boat527

Reaction score

Another year an still no luck! Hopefully this picture may be enough fr people to critique it and explain where I am still going wrong haha. I want to land it so badly it hurts (literally!)

You know Im not a trick skier but did gymnastics in High School.. You are bending too much at the waist.. be more upright..

Heres a vid to get you pumped up!

[video=vimeo;68033880]http://vimeo.com/68033880[/video]

Kdub157

Reaction score
Looks to me like youre going into it really loose. You should be kinda leaning forward and looking up. What rope position are you starting with?

Reaction score

Shouldn't be bent at the waist. Should be standing more straight up

alohajeff

Reaction score
After spending 2 days at the lake crashing as burning I was hoping that there may well be some experienced heads on here that could offer some advice. Desperately trying to land one but it all seems to go a bit wrong. The tip tends to land in the water first. I currently use a taper flex wake jumper chopped to 60" not sure if line length and wake of the boat is important but I've tried a few
Any more info needed I'll do my best to explain
Thanks in advance
Chris

It is all in your head. If your head is turned your body will follow. Practice on land by walking and spinning 360's and landing them while in mid stride. On snow, water, or a trampoline, your head must turn before your body can follow.

Aloha

Reaction score
Looks to me like youre going into it really loose. You should be kinda leaning forward and looking up. What rope position are you starting with?

Post more chick... hope all is well.

muttsnuts52

Reaction score
Wow, lots of quick replays there thank you
I do go into this trick wrapped, I don't try and pass the handle.
When you say going in loose, what exactly do you mean? An do I need to be bent over the front as I'm comming into the wake, and then extend off the top?
I will go and try again as soon as possible