WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hello from Wisconsin! Looking for Deck Boat Advice...

Roosky01

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have been looking to upgrade to a "Havasu" style performance deck boat and have researched the builders out there like a mad man over the last 3 months. The issue I`m having is that around here, most all of the action seems to happen on and off the back of the boat. Big extended swim platforms, rear seats that convert to sun lounges, big speakers, etc. My lake does have some great sandbar action, but on windy days and after work excursions etc., we like to tuck away in a bay and anchor, throw the lily pad out for the kids and have a blast!

We typically have 4-10 peeps on the boat and love to entertain. Am I on a fruitless search for a performance deck boat that currently doesn`t exist? I want a beautiful boat that doesn't say Cobalt, Sea Ray, Crownline, etc. on the side. One that you probably won't ever see around here. Am I crazy?

I'd greatly appreciate any advice or thoughts you all may have!

Last edited:

Roosky01

Reaction score
Prairie du Sac

Lake Wisconsin area...

havasuhusker

Reaction score
Welcome to the boards. There are a lot of great options to choose from. I'm not sure you will find any that have rear facing seats, but most will have a sizable sunpad that you can chill on. Some come with integrated swim step as well and might even be able to add an extended swim platform. Best solution is to call up the one's your interested in and ask if they can accommodate your wants.

Roosky01

Reaction score
I know Howard's build time is about a year out. Does anyone know what Tahiti's lead time is currently? Those two houses seem to have the deck models that I think most appeal to me...

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
I know Howard's build time is about a year out. Does anyone know what Tahiti's lead time is currently? Those two houses seem to have the deck models that I think most appeal to me...

Wow , those are two totally different caliber of boat.... Are you sure you did all of your home work??

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

Howard is the pinnacle. Nordic, Eliminator, E-ticket, Barron, Lavey, Shockwave, Cobra, Advantage, Ultra, Cheetah, Interceptor and Tahiti all build decks. I would check them all out. If your looking to build new I would call each and talk to them about the build process, materials, pricing etc... The thing about each one of these builders is they are custom boat builders, some more so than others, and each will work with you to make your ideas a reality. I'm not sure if they could make rear loungers a reality but I bet if you write the check that there would be a couple that would make it happen.

Roosky01

Reaction score
Wow , those are two totally different caliber of boat.... Are you sure you did all of your home work??
I do fully understand that they are two different calibers of boat and I will surely perform my due diligence in narrowing it down to a few manufacturers and making actual visits and test drives if I decide to pull the trigger on a brand new unit.

If I had to put it in a non-deck way, I guess I'm in the new Vette vs 911 GT3RS stage. They are very different animals with pricing, quality, performance, visual appeal, usage, and availability all having an impact on the ultimate decision. However, I am not afraid to buy once and cry once if a model truly stirs my soul, even if the price is elevated. I told my good friend (just prior to him buying his first boat recently) "buying a boat is about the worst financial decision you can make, but one of the best when it comes to happiness and enjoyment of life.

All that being said, The Tahiti 287 and Howard 288 (not having seen them in the flesh) seem to appeal to me the most? I do appreciate all the feedback and keep it coming!

Detox Don

Reaction score
I went with the Cheetah 21 years ago because Bob was the only Havasu builder that would widen the door to accommodate my wife's wheelchair. Sucks going off the back of the fastcat so probably not the deck for you. Wildcat may work though for the price.

Brobee

Reaction score
IMG_2256.jpg

Here is Cheetahs current price schedule. They seem to be one of the few that are so forthcoming with their pricing. The Wildcat is a great mid level boat and the new owners are turning out what looks to be a quality product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roosky01

Reaction score
I may have to look at the Cheetah brand closer? I had kinda written them off based on previous feedback on quality, etc. Has anyone took delivery since the new management has been in place and can share some thoughts?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’d say top dollar and quality yet will customize to your needs would be Howard or Lavey, but i also wouldn’t count out Tahiti at all. Todd the owner took part in another company many years ago and i still get great information from him based upon his past with that company. And it’s great info even when it’s not what i want to hear because he’s being straightforward and honest and to me that says a lot these days.

Brobee

Reaction score

Detox Don

Reaction score
I may have to look at the Cheetah brand closer? I had kinda written them off based on previous feedback on quality, etc. Has anyone took delivery since the new management has been in place and can share some thoughts?
Had my Fastcat re upholstered 2 years ago. Bob was still taking naps in the back room so it was before the new guys took over. Can't remember the name of the kid running the place at the time so he may be one of the new owners. He took great care of me. Picked up my boat after upholstery, went back to Parker, dropped the boat in and it wouldn't start (could tell fuel pump was not priming). Hauled it back up to Havasu and the kid dropped everything to get my boat running by the next morning.
Fit and quality of Cheetah was good, not great back in the day. Price was great compared to the other builders. If money is not a concern, I would go with personal preference. Being Dutch, I like to save a buck, so I would look hard at Cheetah if I was looking for a new boat. New ownership of Cheetah would factor into my decision though.

Roosky01

Reaction score
Had my Fastcat re upholstered 2 years ago. Bob was still taking naps in the back room so it was before the new guys took over. Can't remember the name of the kid running the place at the time so he may be one of the new owners. He took great care of me. Picked up my boat after upholstery, went back to Parker, dropped the boat in and it wouldn't start (could tell fuel pump was not priming). Hauled it back up to Havasu and the kid dropped everything to get my boat running by the next morning.
Fit and quality of Cheetah was good, not great back in the day. Price was great compared to the other builders. If money is not a concern, I would go with personal preference. Being Dutch, I like to save a buck, so I would look hard at Cheetah if I was looking for a new boat. New ownership of Cheetah would factor into my decision though.
I greatly appreciate the input. I'm thinking a less than 28' boat may make a lot of sense on the lakes around here...especially if I can get some custom work done on the rear of the boat.

Question still stands, has anyone had experience with the new peeps at Cheetah?

J-Bonz

Reaction score
I have no input but glad to see another Wisconsinite on the forum! Good luck with your search

Wedgy

Reaction score
Hello Roosky, Welcome to the Site! Wisconsin has some dark water, lot of Iron, I'm told. I concur with the under 28 foot length. Some time spent on the Eagle River Chain was a Blast, some fingers go back into areas that are fun to explore, Bass Boat ideal, on the other end of the length Spectrum. The Lifts may be an issue, didn't get that far though. LOL. Now if you launch in Lake Superior, at Ontonagon, i'd be loving every foot of that 28 feet!
Good Hunting

KevinR

Reaction score
Good luck with your search.

Have you checked out Conquest in Havasu?