WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HELP! 2005 RAM 2500 problems

montaj629

Reaction score
My pops has a 2005 RAM 2500 w/ Cummins.

Problem: When I turn the truck on, the gauge cluster only turns on sometimes. The times it does not, the truck will not start. It turns over, however won't fire up. I have to keep messing with the key /Ignition until the gauge cluster activates, then the truck will turn on. I took it to Dodge and they took $1,800 of my money and changed the Ignition Switch. The problem is still there.

Two things:
1) Anyone have this problem or know how to fix this??
2) Anyone know a GOOD Dodge Diesel mechanic that can help me? (Inland Empire)

Thanks guys!!!

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
My pops has a 2005 RAM 2500 w/ Cummins.

Problem: When I turn the truck on, the gauge cluster only turns on sometimes. The times it does not, the truck will not start. It turns over, however won't fire up. I have to keep messing with the key /Ignition until the gauge cluster activates, then the truck will turn on. I took it to Dodge and they took $1,800 of my money and changed the Ignition Switch. The problem is still there.

Two things:
1) Anyone have this problem or know how to fix this??
2) Anyone know a GOOD Dodge Diesel mechanic that can help me? (Inland Empire)

Thanks guys!!!

I hope you put that on a credit card and dispute the charge.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My brother's 2007 2500 cummins was doing some wierd shit, gauges going crazy, throwing codes and dash lights. He had a battery going bad, it would always crank but wouldn't always start. When cranking the bad battery was dropping the voltage down too low and freaking the BCM / ECM out. 2 new batteries and he is back to normal

robby dmax

Reaction score
My brother's 2007 2500 cummins was doing some wierd shit, gauges going crazy, throwing codes and dash lights. He had a battery going bad, it would always crank but wouldn't always start. When cranking the bad battery was dropping the voltage down too low and freaking the BCM / ECM out. 2 new batteries and he is back to normal

cheap place to start two new battery

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Had two I've run into...as pointed out the TIPM is an evil little...hard to diag. as well as intermittence...also needs to be vin coded by dealer. The other one was easier to diag. Broken wire in column harness. Try cranking while changing column angle, see if it changes anything for you.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score

I had this same problem on my 07 ram 2500 just a few months ago. 2 new batteries fixed the issue. Cleaned the terminals too.

montaj629

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Seems new batteries are quick to see if that’s the issue.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Seems new batteries are quick to see if that’s the issue.
@Big B Hova was this the exact same thing yours was doing? Sounds like his gauges don’t move when key on, and then it won’t fire. What was yours doing exactly?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
How old are your batteries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Don't just replace shit...test it.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy yourself a carbon pile load tester...one of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/500-amp-carbon-pile-load-tester-91129.html

Then go to Amazon and get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/ANCEL-Profes...id=1546923516&sr=8-20&keywords=battery+tester

and one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/East-Penn-Te...546923581&sr=8-10&keywords=battery+hydrometer

If the battery passes all 3 of these tests, it's good...if it fails one or more, it's bad. Test all your batteries at every or every other oil change. Catch problems before they cause you inconvenience and cost you money.

Last edited:

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
@Big B Hova was this the exact same thing yours was doing? Sounds like his gauges don’t move when key on, and then it won’t fire. What was yours doing exactly?

Mine the guage went nuts when started and then the check engine light started comming on with some code saying communication lost to pcm.

Icky

Reaction score
My 2013 wont even try to start if the batteries are dead. If you jump start it the cluster is all screwy until you put good batteries in it.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Don't just replace shit...test it.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy yourself a carbon pile load tester...one of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/500-amp-carbon-pile-load-tester-91129.html

Then go to Amazon and get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/ANCEL-Profes...id=1546923516&sr=8-20&keywords=battery+tester

and one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/East-Penn-Te...546923581&sr=8-10&keywords=battery+hydrometer

If the battery passes all 3 of these tests, it's good...if it fails one or more, it's bad. Test all your batteries at every or every other oil change. Catch problems before they cause you inconvenience and cost you money.

That's $130 + Tax of stuff, to tell you that your 4 year old batteries may not be starting your rig because they're bad :D There's your batteries right there!

MSum661

Reaction score
I had this same problem on my 07 ram 2500 just a few months ago. 2 new batteries fixed the issue. Cleaned the terminals too.

Yep....same here. Problem solved.
I also went ahead and upgraded all 4 battery cable ends with the Mil. Spec. post kit x2 which makes basic servicing easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Spe...s=Military+Spec+Battery+Terminal+Top+Post+Kit

Mil. Bat.jpg

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
That's $130 + Tax of stuff, to tell you that your 4 year old batteries may not be starting your rig because they're bad :D There's your batteries right there!
One of em;)
I just bought two today.
Mopar group 65s and there is a $15 core charge on them.
The OP should see what the warranty is on them, inside 4 years might be covered at least partially.

My 2013 wont even try to start if the batteries are dead. If you jump start it the cluster is all screwy until you put good batteries in it.
Pretty much!

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Works more than once, and on more than one battery. If you can buy 2 new batteries for $130...please let me know where...and they better not be those shitty mexican Johnson Controls garbage.

Also, if you're so sure the batteries are bad....can you explain how fiddling with the key makes them all of a sudden work again and start the truck?

Maestro

Reaction score
-load test batteries, test alt.
-what codes do you have, pending, memory,
--does it state no bus in info section of cluster?
-the tipm code have a bad wire.
-Dealer replaced the ignition cotrol module and problem returned, call dealer and get a refund. Take it elseware. Call state bar and file a complaint if the refuse or fail to fix.
I can get you some trouble shooting tips on inspecting the tipm. With a little more info. First press all your relays and fuse in securely. Trust me. I find burnt contacts on the harness wires located on the bottom side of the tipm. Not sure of your year I'd have to check. Newer models would be the blue harness bar. Release it and inspect it for a burnt wire. If your lucky the harness shell won't be melted and you'll be able to release the wire. If not yoully have to replace the whole connector. I've done a couple, I have another hail Mary trick, it might work(pM me) The blower fan wire on the green connector does the same thing. Could be just a key.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Works more than once, and on more than one battery. If you can buy 2 new batteries for $130...please let me know where...and they better not be those shitty mexican Johnson Controls garbage.

Also, if you're so sure the batteries are bad....can you explain how fiddling with the key makes them all of a sudden work again and start the truck?

Easy turbo...I agree it’s goos to diagnose as opposed to blind parts swapping. But those trucks are known for old batteries causing a crank but no start condition, and if his are old it’s a good place to start
And why you gotta bash Mexican batteries? Lol