WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HELP for 460 engine mounts on jet

SPECTRALEN

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out an engine mount system with my 460. I have a new front timing cover style mount but do not have the rear mount to match. I would like to keep my original rear bell housing because it covers the universal joints nicely. Has anyone made or know of a rear support that will work with my bell housing? Here are some pics of what I'm working with.

Attachments

• 100_0003.jpg
    100_0003.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 327
  • 100_0004.jpg
    100_0004.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 299
  • 100_0085.jpg
    100_0085.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 285
  • 100_0083.jpg
    100_0083.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 373

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I gots no idea.. I don't think you'd want to support all that in a boat on the tail peace though like it is in the photo. So were you thinking of some sort've sandwich plate between the motor and the bell housing? Or where you thinking of a plate to go around the bell housing? Or were you thinking of just making a billet bracket to support it off the tail?

RD

SPECTRALEN

Reaction score
A couple years ago I was talking with Greg Shoemaker and he had said that he knew of guys using the front mount with my style bell housing by itself, but I wasn't getting full confirmation that this was a great idea. I would rather make up a left and right aluminum bracket system to bolt to each side of the bell and go underneath the log manifolds and through bolt to the stringers. Have you or anyone else seen brackets like what I'm describing? I'm thinking of something like a dog leg made of 1/4 in. aluminum plate.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
A couple years ago I was talking with Greg Shoemaker and he had said that he knew of guys using the front mount with my style bell housing by itself, but I wasn't getting full confirmation that this was a great idea. I would rather make up a left and right aluminum bracket system to bolt to each side of the bell and go underneath the log manifolds and through bolt to the stringers. Have you or anyone else seen brackets like what I'm describing? I'm thinking of something like a dog leg made of 1/4 in. aluminum plate.

I havent seen them, but I'm not really up on jetboats..

CAll Tom at Jetboat performance and see what he thinks.. If they make it, I'd bet he sells it. His # is listed on the forum index below "Jetboat performance."

RD

BadBlown572

A/B Team Liaison
Reaction score
From the looks of it, your bell housing is designed for a typical jet boat 3 point mounting system. Top of the bell housing rests on the pump and the front mounts screw into the block and the stringers. This is how we did 90% of the jet boats while at Carrera. Marine power and Indmar come with this style mounts. I would bet that with the drive shaft on the flywheel, the rear of the bell housing fits directly on to the pump. Personally, I would run it this way. I don't think that a full rail kit is needed unless you are pushing some horse power or have a full setback pump.

I guess I am lost on what you are trying to do? Fab up an additional rear mount that will work with the bell housing?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I would think you could fab up some brackets going from the stringers/rail to the two bolts on the dies od the rear housing. All you would need then is longer bolts.

SPECTRALEN

Reaction score
I guess what's really bugging me is the cradle. If I could find a cradle mount that was stainless or aluminum, and has less parts that bolt the thing together....... I meen just look at this thing. I know, I know, nobody is going to even see it.

So I guess if anyone has any ideas on keeping the three point mount with a better cradle or know of a better built cradle, I'd like to hear about it before I try to fab or have somthing made.

SPECTRALEN

Reaction score
Here's another question. My set-up has automotive style rubber motor mounts bolted to the engine block. Is it beneficial to have the rubber? Is it a horsepower issue? I built this 460 to stock specs with a 600cfm Holley and an aluminum Performer intake, just to cut back on some weight. No serious horsepower here.

Attachments

• 100_0097.jpg
    100_0097.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 239
  • 100_0349.jpg
    100_0349.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 234
Last edited: