WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Help identifying Maha "XX" Longboard

STV_Keith

Reaction score
If Billdo couldn't identify this thing, I'm not sure anyone can. ;) But I thought I'd put it out here and see if anyone recognizes this ski.

It is 84" long and 7-1/4" wide at the widest point. That seems to jive with a GS, but it's not marked GS, but rather XX. Anyone seen one of these or know what model it is for sure?

Mahehraja.jpg ski-bottom-front.jpg ski-left-side.jpg ski-rear.jpg ski-right-edge.jpg ski-skeg.jpg

racektm

Reaction score
I'd say Giant Slalom,
From Bob's website,

Our "GS" Giant Slalom Ski is an oldie, but a goodie! Measuring at 84 x 7 inches.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I hate to bother him about something he likely made years ago. That said, I did try calling earlier and got VM...but didn't leave a message.

Of course the graphics are vinyl, so can be removed and changed. I will throw in my 2c worth and guess that it was an early GS model, perhaps even "experimental". At some point in the early 90's Bob started side cutting the racing skis, and putting about a 3/8" wide bevel on the bottom edge, as well as beveling the top behind the rear binding. This resulted in a racing ski that turned better than his previous efforts, some of which had a diamond pattern "branded" into the side to keep the ski from grabbing in a turn. I personally raced on one of the 84" Mahas that originally had straight sides. Once I saw a couple that were cut, I did the same basic thing to my ski, and yep, they are much better for racing turns that way. I don't recall the exact timeline on when the GS ski was released, but may have an old postcard here from a Christmas sale where he was including a bag and 150 foot rope. The other sort of clue that it may have been an early one is that "Maherajah" has a squiggle under it that was cut when it was beveled, not sure if they still use the exact same lettering on the side of the ski, maybe so.

dcbc

Reaction score
Bumping an old thread with my first post. Sorry.

The 84" GS Longboard was Bob's "recreational" version of his race ski, hence the toe plate in the back. Per Bob, It's meant for cruising on a 150' line at about 45 mph. I have one he built for me in about 2004 with different graphics. Back then, they ran about $850 new and a little extra for the bag. They are loads of fun to ride.

Attachments

• MahaGSTop[1].jpg
    MahaGSTop[1].jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 58

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
I remember the first run of the GS skis were in the time frame when he was doing the break away graphics from the tip (mid to late '90s). One of my friends that raced with us, and was a smaller girl got one to use as her race ski. These graphics were from the early 2000's like dcbc's ski. I think the XX was a "rebranding" of the GS, Bob is always trying to make the skis "new and exciting", which I appreciate the hell out of since he is only US race ski maker.