WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Help, its time for assisted living in LHC!

satellitemike

Reaction score
Long story short, my step mom, mid 80's, is having a hard time by herself in Havasu and all of her family are in Chicago, she said she is not going back to Chicago!
Anyway can any of the inmates offer some advice as where to start and places to avoid? I dont want to see her get her life saving get flushed down the toilet as I know it can get $$$ really quick!

petie6464

Reaction score
I can. In LH there are a few places as well as a few smaller home places. In any case figure $4,000-$5000/mo. With the nicer places being more and as of a year ago had a few year waiting list!

Things to consider also are her mental health, would she do best in a memory care facility? The Memory care facility here only takes Memory care residents.

Her overall health, will she need a skilled nursing staff? Assisted living facilities are staffed by mostly untrained low paid employees and like everyone they have massive staffing/undrrsaffing issues.

Wherever you have her the best advice I can give you is to be involved daily in her care and well-being. People that are left alone are not necessarily neglected however a loved one will always be best in watching and tracking her well being and security.

If you mother-in-law has no assets Arizona offers the Arizona log care health care act; The state will subsidize her care cost along with her social security, don't think you can off her assets as that would have to have happened five years prior to her application for assistance.

In all you have my prayers for help to mitigate this all its a lot of effort and I commend you for being one that is concerned with your mother in laws well being, I did it twice with my mother in law and my mother.

It's was worth every second.

DLC

Reaction score
My dad (79) has Alzheimer’s and we just placed him in a home March 6 here in Escondido, Ca. it is a private home 6 people with 2 caregivers round the clock and we pay $5,500 month. He lived with us for the past 3 or 4 years, but it got to the point where he needed more care than I could give him.

you might be able to get someone to come in for a few hours each day, average cost is $15-25hr depending on needs

good luck!
This was really difficult for me to do but I’m getting better, dad is well taken care of and we got lucky as they had an opening and we got forced to making it happen. They usually have a wait list, make some calls tour some places ask a lot of questions.

most likely she will need to get the vaccine and get approved from her Dr.

another option depending on needs is a roommate, but really difficult to get the correct situation going.

Last edited:

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I’m in healthcare in PHX. Lots of opportunity for a skilled nursing or, to a lesser extent, rehab in Havasu. Lots of patients in need of a location in that area. Staffing will likely be the issue.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Long story short, my step mom, mid 80's, is having a hard time by herself in Havasu and all of her family are in Chicago, she said she is not going back to Chicago!
Anyway can any of the inmates offer some advice as where to start and places to avoid? I dont want to see her get her life saving get flushed down the toilet as I know it can get $$$ really quick!

My grandmother is in her 80's. She lives at prestige. Covid shit was hard on them but now its semi normal. She seems to enjoy it.. we get her out when we are in town and my mom gets her out a lot when she is there (half the year). We toured and looked at several options...I really like prestige, and from everything I can see they treat my grandmother well. She's very active for her age..just recently stopped golfing. Prestige has an active social media page..and she's on it a lot. I'd have to ask mom but I think its around $5,500-6k per month. Feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll give you my mom's number if you want to discuss it from her view point..shes the one that deals with it directly.

Mom has said before that when the time comes she would be happy there..and if its still like it is now that is likely what will happen...

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Had my father in Jasmine Place in LHC it is nice, clean and he actually liked it. He was there for about three years at around $ 3800 for a studio apartment.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My parents were $7500 each per month in a locked dementia facility. Dad got thrown out because he was banging three women and punched one, cops came and had to arrest him for domestic violence. It was payback for all the shit I put him through as a kid. RIP x2

satellitemike

Reaction score
Sounds like we need to figure out how to shelter/protect her assests. The more I read and hear is if she doesnt show any assests the state will step up and help with the $$$. I dont stand to inherit anything but It kills me when you see people loose everything they have worked for their entire lives to keep them comfortable and safe for their final years.
I almost feel guilty having the state help but she has lived there or 20 years now and god only knows how much she and my father have paid to the states in taxes!

petie6464

Reaction score
Sounds like we need to figure out how to shelter/protect her assests. The more I read and hear is if she doesnt show any assests the state will step up and help with the $$$. I dont stand to inherit anything but It kills me when you see people loose everything they have worked for their entire lives to keep them comfortable and safe for their final years.
I almost feel guilty having the state help but she has lived there or 20 years now and god only knows how much she and my father have paid to the states in taxes!

The state (AZ) requires basically the individual to have <$2,500 total assets. Any assets transferred must have been five years prior to filing for assistance.

I don't see any money spent on one's own care and comfort as a loss, more of a blessing and the final fruit of one's labor.

If your loved one has money why not use it for their comfort in the final days of life, they've earned it. Having the ability to pay it will in almost every way allow them a better place, better care and better food. Let them live their final days to the most of their ability I belive.

My mother in law had money, we were able to keep her at home with the help of hospice as well as paid private care, kept the house cool in the summer as she wanted, buy her a huge TV so she could see it and let her eat ice cream all day because that all she wanted, she was as happy as possible to the very end.

We inherited her remaining estate, non of it I deserved nor was I entitled to, I was thankful but really wish she would have been able to blow it all on something she loved rather than give it to us.