WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HELP....just F'n HELP!!!!!

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
JUST A LITTLE FOOD FOR THOUGHT FOR ALL OF YOU.

if the first thing you do at a interview is ask HOW MUCH? @riverroyal (AKA "pickle sniffer") that's always the first resume in the trash, shows a employer your out for yourself and definitely not looking for a part on his or her team ;)

Oh you are one of "those" type of employers.... Food for thought... Dogshit wages equals dogshit employees. Compensation should be discussed in the first or second interview, or at least a range. No use in wasting each others time.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
There was an ad for a landscaper "helper" position for 100K a year the other day on the community pages... I shit you not.

RD
Where do I sign up. That pays better than my engineering gig in SoCal, lol 😆

But seriously Havasu has always been known for its low wage jobs. The problem now is Jao is paying people more to stay at home and day drink than to work. Now mix in rents that have doubled in the last year and working class people will be forced to move away to find less expensive areas to live. This will just magnify the labor problem going forward. I dont see city leadership pushing low cost/high density housing in this city anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Half of the labor that is available is looking for a workmen’s comp claim . show up one day back ack the next

WYRD

Reaction score
time for us to take this stuff going on seriously, or there will not be anymore midnight Del Taco runs for you cuz there will be no employees to run the shift, go ahead not that you would.... but go try and get some Burger King after 5pm,,,not happening because this shit is happening
I'm actually planning a new business venture in Havasu to address this exact issue ...coming soon

Ruth's Chris drive thru takeout 👍

gqchris

Reaction score
Whats the point to build affordable units when they will just be airbnb’ed for $300 a night behind everyones backs.

Until you stop the flow a bit of the vacationers in there or housing becomes decent priced, this huge gap exists.

The place is still a town in the middle of the desert and ill be damned if I am paying 800k for a shack with a pool there. Somethings got to change.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Where do I sign up. That pays better than my engineering gig in SoCal, lol 😆

But seriously Havasu has always been known for its low wage jobs. The problem now is Jao is paying people more to stay at home and day drink than to work. Now mix in rents that have doubled in the last year and working class people will be forced to move away to find less expensive areas to live. This will just magnify the labor problem going forward. I dont see city leadership pushing low cost/high density housing in this city anytime soon.
The EDD issue isn’t new. The extra $$$ started about a year ago. ;)

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Just had dinner with some big ballers in havasu we all own multiple properties it’s going to fall hard be careful with your money

DWC

Reaction score
My wife can’t find a decent paying job in Havasu to save her life.
Our oldest moved to St Louis for work last year. He looks for jobs in Havasu on regular basis. Says the same thing.

WYRD

Reaction score
do you like getting paychecks and not EBT or PPE?
do you like half naked women running around?
do you like warm summer days?
do you like cold beer?

JESUS we need help here HAVASU'S labor pool is empty
if you are in any of the housing trades, JUST SHOW UP!!!! and we will put you work with a good job IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!

How much will this gig cost me 🤔

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Who’s the biggest employer in town? The hospital? The real issue there is no real business that pay higher end wages. Not going to get higher paying jobs with another restaurant that opens, or another boat shop. It needs those manufacturing, engineering business. But Havasu doesn’t offer anything for that type of business. Just my 2 cents.

Currently I would say construction is the only business’s making a killing. More than boat shops and possibly the hospital.

petie6464

Reaction score
There us little need for skilled labor here, just not much industry. Boat mfgs. are here but ran more like a hobby shops than manufacturing business. Construction is obviously on fire but that's typically maned by drunks and dope heads.

So what's left? Medical, that's a good one, lots to be made in this field, a couple of doctor friends are insane busy pushing pills and making a fortune.

I have offered my services several times, business management and manufacturing. Ended up just buying more RE and that deal. No one wanted to hear how to streamline their process, improve revenue or mitigate internal issues, only interested in keeping the doors open so they can buy the huge offset Method wheels for their truck or how to accessorize their gay CanAm. It's ridiculous.

riverroyal

Reaction score

if the first thing you do at a interview is ask HOW MUCH? @riverroyal (AKA "pickle sniffer") that's always the first resume in the trash, shows a employer your out for yourself and definitely not looking for a part on his or her team ;)
Really? Pickle sniffer? Fuck you Karl.
the wages in havasu don’t compare to other places. That’s why you have a shortage.Most don’t really like where they live but thats where the income is accurate for their skill and what they bring to a company ‘team’. But you’ve been in havasu a long time, so you really wouldn’t know.
enjoy your perfect ‘CAD’ world in a small desert town. Glad to see you’re the best.

riverroyal

Reaction score
There us little need for skilled labor here, just not much industry. Boat mfgs. are here but ran more like a hobby shops than manufacturing business. Construction is obviously on fire but that's typically maned by drunks and dope heads.

So what's left? Medical, that's a good one, lots to be made in this field, a couple of doctor friends are insane busy pushing pills and making a fortune.

I have offered my services several times, business management and manufacturing. Ended up just buying more RE and that deal. No one wanted to hear how to streamline their process, improve revenue or mitigate internal issues, only interested in keeping the doors open so they can buy the huge offset Method wheels for their truck or how to accessorize their gay CanAm. It's ridiculous.
I agree. Except CanAms aren’t gay. Polaris is gay 😁

Reactions: t&y

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
JUST FYI FOR ALL
IMMEDIATE OPENINGS for AUTOCAD DRAFTERS (Land Survey and topology drafting must know 3d) pay per experience level
Surveyor Field Tech positions available as well.

I am going to send you a PM....

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

When I was a kid, working in a parts store/machine shop, the father of one of the employees took me aside and had a talk with me. He said...

When you're looking for a job, you have to always put yourself first. Ask what they have to offer you! KNOW what you are worth, and then find out if they are worthy of having you work there! It was solid advice that served me well.

I've been in management, and an employee. I've been on both sides of the fence, so I know how valuable a good employee is, from working both sides of the fence.

When hiring, I'd judge a tech by his attitude. I can train someone to fix cars, but I can't train someone to have a good attitude. I'd also judge how he would probably get along with my other employees. Nobody wants to work with a douche.

When shopping for a job, I'd let my resume do the talking for me. I'd tell em right up front, this is how much I need to make, and if you can't afford me, well. catch ya later! It was definitely their loss and not mine.

NOBODY gets outa bed in the morning to go to work cause it's their idea fun. They do it to earn a buck, same as you.

Food for thought, back atcha. 🍻

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well.. I guess we all had a good cinco de Mayo... let’s not judge anyone to hard for it..

PS.. this is me shithoused making that call.. Jesus.. that’s embarrassing... seriously. Wtf.

gqchris

Reaction score
So we are unlocked again ready for Round 2? :p

RodnJen

Reaction score
Good, this is a very relevant topic that should be able to be discussed openly for everyone's benefit.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Agree 100% on external hires. Saves everyone time and energy. Internal promos, doesn’t work so well.

This. I have probably done 60 interviews with 10 companies in the last year, and with every firm the first interview with the internal recruiter salary expectations were set, and in fact the internal recruiter brings it up.

Last edited:

530RL

Reaction score
So Havasu like pretty much every Western city in the nation is short labor that is willing to work outside doing physical tasks and/or skills that can easily be taught?

If we only knew where to find people desperate to do that type of work to achieve the American dream? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:

Groper

Reaction score
Jesus I go out drinking all day on "Cinco De Gringo" and then wake up late to another RDP's best Call out Thread :rolleyes: it Looks like I'll just start early again today ;)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
This. I have probably done 60 interviews with 10 companies in the last year, and with every firm the first interview with the internal recruiter salary expectations were set, and in fact the internal recruiter brings it up.

My wife has wasted so much time interviewing. several places didn't talk $$$$ until 3-4 interviews in. She went through the whole processes and was offered a job by a couple companies and when the compensation was finally talked about she almost had to laugh and say no thanks....Huge waste of time and resources.

People are looking for $$$ not an opportunity unless it's real and you can see the actual steps to climb the corporate ladder. I'm not sure there is a Ladder that goes high enough in Havasu.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

You sure have a way with words and a distincive style.:confused:

gqchris

Reaction score
My wife has wasted so much time interviewing. several places didn't talk $$$$ until 3-4 interviews in. She went through the whole processes and was offered a job by a couple companies and when the compensation was finally talked about she almost had to laugh and say no thanks....Huge waste of time and resources.

People are looking for $$$ not an opportunity unless it's real and you can see the actual steps to climb the corporate ladder. I'm not sure there is a Ladder that goes high enough in Havasu.
Exactly. There is no ladder in Havasu unless you have the privilege of working remote or own a business that caters to the vacation crowds in town. Real Estate, Boat or SXS Shop, Rentals etc etc.

I have a feeling if that ladder is ever created and someone big sets up shop there, the full timers will bitch even MORE about how the towns growth has exploded even more than what it has now!

DWC

Reaction score
Had an old boss try to hire me a couple years ago. Went through the entire interview process. Met with founder, owners, potential team and then came the offer... What a waste of time. I ASSUMED that because she knew my current salary that it would be worth my time. She thought a title and work/life balance was enough. Could have been settled with a quick discussion the first call.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Exactly. There is no ladder in Havasu unless you have the privilege of working remote or own a business that caters to the vacation crowds in town. Real Estate, Boat or SXS Shop, Rentals etc etc.

I have a feeling if that ladder is ever created and someone big sets up shop there, the full timers will bitch even MORE about how the towns growth has exploded even more than what it has now!

Small businesses are tough. They are working with smaller budgets and nobody wants to promote there right hand entry level man to a higher position because then they loose there helper and the work falls back on them. Honestly I'm not sure i have ever really had a direct boss try to push me up the ladder when working for a large company. You always have to go around them and make stuff happen.

gqchris

Reaction score
Had an old boss try to hire me a couple years ago. Went through the entire interview process. Met with founder, owners, potential team and then came the offer... What a waste of time. I ASSUMED that because she knew my current salary that it would be worth my time. She thought a title and work/life balance was enough. Could have been settled with a quick discussion the first call.

This 100%. In short, it is just a business deal. Nothing more, nothing less! It has to make sense fiscally to each party. No one is doing anyone a favor more than another. Mutual is the key word.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
First question I would ask someone, after I reviewed their resume and called em in was...

So how much are you looking to make?

When I worked for one shop, we would Intentionally have them wait in the waiting room for one hour. If they stayed cool during that hour, they had a shot at getting the job. If they got all ancey and pissed off for having to wait, well, it was down the road motors for them!

Attitude is Everything.

😎

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure sure havasu is capable of having any large manufacturing without all the other companies to support it.

How about The CITY supporting "IT" for a Start?

The "Good Old Boys" have fought every New Company or Business coming to town since Day One.

Look at Anderson Toyota, Walmart and The "MALL". Maybe if "Everyone' was on board for a Change, some real positive things would happen. :confused:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Had something similar happen.

Was offered a office manager job from a large commercial insurance brokerage. They tracked me down through acquaintances in the industry and we did the whole dog and pony show. I was going from managing a smaller team to probably 20 people. They tell me i would have to wear a tie daily and i couldn't have any facial hair. this was followed by an offer that was 20k less a year for easily triple the work. They knew where i worked and how long i was in the industry and were looking to pay a manager well below market value.

Funny thing is a good friend was also up for the job and when i told him what the offered pay was he called and cancelled the interview...haha

gqchris

Reaction score

The "Good Old Boys" have fought every New Company or Business coming to town since Day One.

Look at Anderson Toyota, Walmart and The "MALL". Maybe if "Everyone' was on board for a Change, some real positive things would happen. :confused:
Agreed. Doing business there has become a joke in itself essentially and broken promises, missed deadlines, and the "its lake o'clock somewhere" attitude always prevails in the end.

What always amazes me is the celebrity status attitudes of small shops when they are busy (like now!). But it wasnt long ago when that town was sucking wind and everyone was crying!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
A Ponzi scheme (/ˈpɒnzi/, Italian: [ˈpontsi]; also a Ponzi game)[1] is a form of fraud that lures investors and pays profits to earlier investors with funds from more recent investors.[2] The scheme leads victims to believe that profits are coming from legitimate business activity (e.g., product sales or successful investments), and they remain unaware that other investors are the source of funds. A Ponzi scheme can maintain the illusion of a sustainable business as long as new investors contribute new funds, and as long as most of the investors do not demand full repayment and still believe in the non-existent assets they are purported to own.

2Driver

Reaction score
Are you saying a bedroom/retirement/tourist community of 55K people has low wages and its hard to find someone who wants to work? Pretty much SOP for that scenario

LOL its been that way forever. In the 80's we brought in people from Tucson and Phoenix and put them up at the Easy 8 for free just to keep the assembly lines running at McCulloch. At that time there were plenty of unemployed in town too.

As far as stating pay up front, how do you know what someone is worth if you don't discuss their experience and get a feel for the person first.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Agreed. Doing business there has become a joke in itself essentially and broken promises, missed deadlines, and the "its lake o'clock somewhere" attitude always prevails in the end.

What always amazes me is the celebrity status attitudes of small shops when they are busy (like now!). But it wasnt long ago when that town was sucking wind and everyone was crying!

A lot of truth in that last part.. lol

DLC

Reaction score
I just bought a fork lift!

when is the rack storage structure going to be finished?

im ready

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Are you saying a bedroom/retirement/tourist community of 55K people has low wages and its hard to find someone who wants to work? Pretty much SOP for that scenario

LOL its been that way forever. In the 80's we brought in people from Tucson and Phoenix and put them up at the Easy 8 for free just to keep the assembly lines running at McCulloch. At that time there were plenty of unemployed in town too.

As far as stating pay up front, how do you know what someone is worth if you don't discuss their experience and get a feel for the person first.

Ask em if they wanna get high and see how they answer the question? 😁

A solid resume is how it's done. I can drop mine off at any dealership, and I'll be getting calls right away.

If an employee can't put a solid resume together, I seriously have no use for him.

DWC

Reaction score
This 100%. In short, it is just a business deal. Nothing more, nothing less! It has to make sense fiscally to each party. No one is doing anyone a favor more than another. Mutual is the key word.
Agree 100%. My old boss had a couple things he would always tell us. “The bullet has already left the gun, you just know how far they are away”. “Don’t cry when you get fired, go out with some dignity”. He got fired before me. :cool:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ask em if they wanna get high and see how they answer the question? 😁

A solid resume is how it's done. I can drop mine off at any dealership, and I'll be getting calls right away.

If an employee can't put a solid resume together, I seriously have no use for him.

interesting.. in all the jobs I have ever had I have never had a resume or filled out an application etc.. just walked in talked to whoever is in charge and started work the next day.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Agree 100%. My old boss had a couple things he would always tell us. “The bullet has already left the gun, you just know how far they are away”. “Don’t cry when you get fired, go out with some dignity”. He got fired before me. :cool:

One of my dispatchers quotes on getting fired...

Who give a fuck? I was looking for a job when I found this one!

• Haha

Icky

Reaction score

All I'm saying is for real manufacturing to be done there, there is 50 others business that support them to keep them running. I don't see that happening for a long time, so everything would be transported in. That's 1000s more trucks per year going in and out of there. I don't think the roads would support that kind of traffic.