WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Help me with the Ski flag law!

84miller

Reaction score
Is the flag up the whole time or just when the skier is down in the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends on the patrol boat. 4 years ago I was skiing on the river in Parker, my sister-inlaw was the observer, brother driving. Sister-inlaw did not understand that the flag goes down when the skier is up. Got pulled over and ticketed. However, I see many boats in Parker with the flags mounted on the boat while pulling skiers, wakeboarders, tubers....patrol boat does nothing....

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
Well...this is not what I expected to hear but I appreciate you saying it. Just thought that maybe the law was behind the times. Lake Norman 25 years ago was a way out place with little traffic. Now tons of people moving in without boat experience. what I am really after is some basic manners...maybe a law is not the way to get there?/??

So you want to change an area YOU MOVED TO so its more like the area you MOVED FROM so your comfortable...

HAHAHAHHAH.... YOU are the problem...this is how Red states turn purple. SMH You problably moved because of the regulation and bullshit out here...now your taking that same mentality to another State.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
just sucks that nobody around here seems to know what the flag my spotter is holding actually means. And way too many either don’t see I have a down skier or don’t give a shit. Ironically the concerned boaters come closer to see if you need help. But I see that a law or rule is not the answer.

Real time update: we just learned from the senator the bill has been pulled. Turns out a rule just for Norman is not possible since technically it’s private owned by duke energy. Any law would have to be state wide and that makes no sense for some of the non busy lakes.
Aside from the different flag rules and all how are you liking the area and surrounding region?...and have you been through all four seasons already, how's that been?

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
Raised boating in the West, Dad had a Navy Captain buddy that would always preach/teach boating saftey and law.

As I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) on waters in AZ, CA, NV you must have a flag up when anything is in the water and the boat is not moving. This could be a swimmer, ski rope, etc. The flag goes down when in motion pulling and back up when someone is down in the water. This also includes having a 3rd person on the boat as a spotter.

Recently a friend was pulled over on Havasu and given a ration for having a flag up with a swimmer in the water.

Did something change?

mobldj

Reaction score
flag.png

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
I’d use a flag just to let another boater know.
He may see the skier but the rope can be
Incredibly dangerous if the boater runs over it to both the skier and possibly and the tow boat.
You can’t fix an idiot but you can sometimes get their attention.
These guys running around with their flag up while towing and just running around need a little education, mainly observed on wakeboard boats it seems. I wouldn’t want to pull my skier with an observer while the guy near me has no observer and is looking
Back in his mirror .
Maybe this is your chance to educate people without getting the government involved.
Yeah...my plan at this point is exactly that. Not trying to make anywhere like CA. Havazoo has it’s own issues. Just trying to make a better boating day for all.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am all for personal responsibility and less regulation personally.

I can’t imagine water skiing or wakeboarding without a vest.. I got whacked in the head with my own ski as a kid.. and I have pulled wakeboarders out of the water with their bell ring pretty good from getting hit in the head as well. Lol

to each their own though. I don’t think it should be regulated but I do think responsible boat owners should ask if they want one or not and explain the realities of whatcould happen.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Raised boating in the West, Dad had a Navy Captain buddy that would always preach/teach boating saftey and law.

As I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) on waters in AZ, CA, NV you must have a flag up when anything is in the water and the boat is not moving. This could be a swimmer, ski rope, etc. The flag goes down when in motion pulling and back up when someone is down in the water. This also includes having a 3rd person on the boat as a spotter.

Recently a friend was pulled over on Havasu and given a ration for having a flag up with a swimmer in the water.

Did something change?
Nope, that was never a thing.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Boated Havasu Mead Mojave Powell my entire life. Now living on Lake Norman in North Carolina. Tons of lake lice rollbar boats and pontooners that have never run a boat in their life. Place gets a little scary with 80% noobs. place is busy on the weekends. There is no Ski flag law. As long as you have a rearview mirror you don’t need a spotter. And if you have a mirror your skier does not need a vest. My wife and I are working with a state senator to change the law. A lot of residents are pushing back. Like me they don’t want any new government intervention… But this one is pretty basic and reasonable in my opinion. Please help me with any videos new or old on how using a ski flag works. Believe it or not it’s getting confusing to them how and when you use it. When I tow my kids I use the flag… Since people are unfamiliar they think I’m in distress and come running over towards my boat and my swimmer. Also, any help with legal language in other jurisdictions would be appreciated. Or any other info you can think of that I can use to plead the case

I know the RDP brain trust can figure this one out
I get your drift but you sound like every Calif. person that moved to Oregon in the last 30 years. You left the shit but forgot to wipe on the way out.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Well not exactly. NC is fine but this Lake in particular is busy as shit. kids run over in a tube, guy died last weekend no vest etc. I’m mostly concerned with boater etiquette. A way to tell other boaters I have a kid in the water and kindly stay away. I didn’t learn this in CA. Boated mostly Mead where it’s wide open. Guess this law is not the norm???
Make you own flag and mount it. "Skier in water, please stay away" Fly that thing whenever you want, but don't roll in there trying to change their way of boating.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Like everyone else has said, this is Darwinism at it's finest, hard to witness, but it needs to be allowed.

You do you and yours. Let everyone else do themselves. I don't tow kids when it's busy or on crowded days unless it's in an area I know others are doing the same : IE Naci Narrows 5mph zone and we all know the drill and watch out for each other.

Like RD said, I can't imagine not wearing a vest for skiing/wakeboarding/tubing...that's just a no brainer.

Flags work if everyone know's what is up, I get creeped out when it's busy, too many newbies these days, and unless I can find a quiet cove or finger, I'll wait for traffic to slow down before I risk my friends and their kids. Middle of the day is a good time to chill and eat lunch while relaxing IMO.

Good luck, keep choosing freedom vs laws.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
If everyone that moves would leave their views, judgement, politics and religion at home and assimilate to their new home things would be much easier around the world. Sharing their opinions is ok and if their new neighbors agree then things will change. If not and you dont like it your free to leave.

motormonkey

Reaction score
Lake Norman is interesting and lots of fun. It's like a harbor in Asia haha with people going all over which way with lots of places to go. Saturday was a shit show because the lake is full pool with no beaches exposed and it was hot out.
It's funny you bring up the flag deal as we were talking about it on saturday.
With that said don't get the gov involved.
Lots of Trump flags flying I also noticed.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Glad you offer something here, "nope" Great
I had originally typed a lot more, but I felt like it was going to make me come off as a bigger dick than I apparently did which was not at all my intention. So here goes, not only is it not a thing, nor was it ever. It's confusing to those that know a flag means to be on the lookout for a skier or a rope in the water. When people put them up for kids on floaties 5 feet from the boat, well it seems silly. I'm not going to get that close to your boat flag or no flag, so it's not only confusing, but totally unnecessary. I hope my longer than nope answer didn't come off as some personal attack, because that wasn't my intent.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Below my initial comments is from the AZGF boat rules.

The flag is for skier or tow-ee down only. Not for the rope in the water or general floating down from the dam or swimmers. This has been debated before. Some boaters fly the flag when just floating or for people swimming around the boat. I'm not sure it hurts or helps. Maybe Boatcop can tell us nut swingers what's what. :)

Vessels towing person(s) on water skis or a similar device must carry and use a bright red or orange skier-down flag that is at least 12 x 12 inches in size and mounted on a handle. The observer must continu- ously observe the skier(s) and display a skier-down flag whenever a skier is in the water after falling or while preparing to ski.
■ If towing a skier with a PWC, the same water-skiing laws apply.

This!!

Its not a swimming flag, it's a ski flag!!

Do some of you fuckers not speak or understand English???

Or do you just Choose to make up your own rules?

The rope in the water is what will do the most damage, but a rope in the water flag sounds stupid. :p

Once again, common sense isn't so common these days...

hallett21

Reaction score
This thread proves why a ski flag law would do nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
I am not sure if it was said earlier in the thread. I was taught that if you are the boat passing a boat with a skier down as the driver you hold a hand up acknowledging that you see the skier in the water. I was understanding this was a rule as a driver. I think it plays a big part in the more narrow waterways such as the CA Delta.

Many times I have followed boats pulling skiers/wakeboards knowing they will go down and then making a safe pass and letting the other driver know I can see the down skier by holding a hand up.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I am not sure if it was said earlier in the thread. I was taught that if you are the boat passing a boat with a skier down as the driver you hold a hand up acknowledging that you see the skier in the water. I was understanding this was a rule as a driver. I think it plays a big part in the more narrow waterways such as the CA Delta.

Many times I have followed boats pulling skiers/wakeboards knowing they will go down and then making a safe pass and letting the other driver know I can see the down skier by holding a hand up.
I was always taught that as well and it is reassuring as a driver of the towboat to see of drivers have their hands up. Annoying when the driver doesn't even acknowledge it and everybody else in the boat is waving like drunken bafoons.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
We don’t like too many LAWS here in NC. If you want to use a flag... Use one. If you don’t... don’t. Boat sales are booming. BTW NC is closed. You fuckers move to AZ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clank123

Reaction score
Was raised using a ski flag for when skier and rope are in the water as well as when you are dropping your skier as you approach the shoreline.
Also always raise your arm when approaching a downed skier. Not the entire boat, just the driver.
I grew up skiing on the Ski Lagoon in Carlsbad from 1968 through the early eighties. We lived about 3/4 of a mile from it and skied most weekends and in the summer a couple nights a week. Started pulling skiers with our Flatbottom at 12. I was a Lagoon Rat for sure.
So many memories down there.
See attached...use of the Red Ski Flag was actually put into use the first time there due to a 100 plus boats on the water on a Summer weekend day!
09F15C77-9ACC-4F08-80B1-DC1CDB4EFD12.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B4511AE-E766-4052-BD0A-6FE8DB9DB1F5.jpeg
    9B4511AE-E766-4052-BD0A-6FE8DB9DB1F5.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 50

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

That’s how I was taught and that’s still what I do here on lakes around GA & SC. People look at me strange.

one time I was following a wakeboarder through a particularly narrow canyon of the lake. I had been behind them for a while, keeping a safe distance until the lake widened up. Well the dude fell and they stop the boat and everyone on the boat goes ballistic, jumping and waving their arms in distress lol. So I hold my hand up to tell them I see the guy and pass safely around them and the whole time theyre screaming and waving their arms 🤦🏼‍♂️

Taboma

Reaction score
Was raised using a ski flag for when skier and rope are in the water as well as when you are dropping your skier as you approach the shoreline.
Also always raise your arm when approaching a downed skier. Not the entire boat, just the driver.
I grew up skiing on the Ski Lagoon in Carlsbad from 1968 through the early eighties. We lived about 3/4 of a mile from it and skied most weekends and in the summer a couple nights a week. Started pulling skiers with our Flatbottom at 12. I was a Lagoon Rat for sure.
So many memories down there.
See attached...use of the Red Ski Flag was actually put into use the first time there due to a 100 plus boats on the water on a Summer weekend day!
View attachment 881589

That's really interesting 👍👍 Growing up spending my all my summers up at Lake Arrowhead starting in the 50's, I was struggling to recall when we started using the flag, or how that came to be, but was thinking it was probably early to mid- 60's. I think dad was doing the raised hand to alert a boat with a downed skier he was seen even prior, but could be wrong.

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
There are different flags for different situations in Maritime Law, Divers have a flag of their own.