WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Help pricing an El Camino

X Hoser

Reaction score
Ran across a "barn find" today. Been up on blocks in a barn for 10 years. 1969 Chevrolet El Camino SS 396, automatic. 100% original including rally wheels, landau top, factory A/C, PS, PB, bench seat with shifter on column. Hardly a door ding, no rust. Was painted some time ago. Was metallic green now pale yellow. Tan interior, but the owner has a complete black interior to go with the car. (Old, may be rotten?) He bought it from the original owner which was a close friend of his. Drove it into the barn and says the A/C was blowing cold back then. (Has not been ran in 10 years). He said it needs a pinion gear in the rear end. (Howling).

This could be a new tires, belts, hoses, oil change, carb rebuild and drive, but I don't think so. Probably rear main seals, trans seals, wheel cylinders, brake fluid change and ?????

I have not been in the classic car market for years. (Lost interest). But, this thing interests me. The owner says he will sell it to me. He is unsure what he wants for it and will get back to me in a couple days after he talks to his wife. :rolleyes

What is something like this worth? Thanks in advance for the suggestions

zhandfull

Reaction score
I'm not a Chevy guy but I'm thinking $4, 000 or $5, 000 might by a reasonable price as described.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Ran across a "barn find" today. Been up on blocks in a barn for 10 years. 1969 Chevrolet El Camino SS 396, automatic. 100% original including rally wheels, landau top, factory A/C, PS, PB, bench seat with shifter on column. Hardly a door ding, no rust. Was painted some time ago. Was metallic green now pale yellow. Tan interior, but the owner has a complete black interior to go with the car. (Old, may be rotten?) He bought it from the original owner which was a close friend of his. Drove it into the barn and says the A/C was blowing cold back then. (Has not been ran in 10 years). He said it needs a pinion gear in the rear end. (Howling).

This could be a new tires, belts, hoses, oil change, carb rebuild and drive, but I don't think so. Probably rear main seals, trans seals, wheel cylinders, brake fluid change and ?????

I have not been in the classic car market for years. (Lost interest). But, this thing interests me. The owner says he will sell it to me. He is unsure what he wants for it and will get back to me in a couple days after he talks to his wife. :rolleyes

What is something like this worth? Thanks in advance for the suggestions

I think SS came with bucket seats $5K for SS is Low Non SS is about right

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I traded a 69 chevelle with no motor or trans. Needed paint and interior. Car had bucket seats, factory tach, disc, high option car.

Traded for a 69 c10 that was running and clean shape body. Sold the c10 for $7900.

If the el camino is a true SS and matching number car.... its worth BANK

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
I'd think $7500 if it's a true SS

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
At least 7500. You cant buy anything decent for under 5k in the pre 73 chevy muscle cars.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
the first thing is the 'power level' of the 396 . 325 HP is the lowest, 350 HP (402 inch) is nice, 396/375 HP with flat tappets and aluminum heads is the top shelf . .

Bucket seats were always an option and have no bearing on being an SS or not in this year .

If it's a 325 HP, Barrett Jackson has them restored for around $30K +, more power goes up into the low $40's .

Subtract what it will take to make it 'original', from the top prices and that is the MAX it is worth 'as is' .

Nice car if you enjoy them, too much work if you don't .....

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I did a `70 for Mothers bitd. Barn find out of Arizona. They paid good $ for that car. Hugger orange with black ss stripes, black interior and vinyl top. Clean ones bring good cash nowadays.

There's a `70 small block up here I have been hoping sells so I stop wanting it. :p

tony

Reaction score
the first thing is the 'power level' of the 396 . 325 HP is the lowest, 350 HP (402 inch) is nice, 396/375 HP with flat tappets and aluminum heads is the top shelf . .

Bucket seats were always an option and have no bearing on being an SS or not in this year .

If it's a 325 HP, Barrett Jackson has them restored for around $30K +, more power goes up into the low $40's .

Subtract what it will take to make it 'original', from the top prices and that is the MAX it is worth 'as is' .

Nice car if you enjoy them, too much work if you don't .....
If it's a 1970 396 it's really a 402 if it's a 68-69 its 396 CI. As far as the hp ratings a 325-350hp are very close to the same just a cam is the difference. The 396-375hp is called an L78 it has 11-1 compression big port heads (cast iron) solid lifter cam. if it can with aluminum heads it's an L78 with an L89 option which is very rare!!! If it's all original 1969 ss
El camino with a 396 325hp and it's all original sheet metal and straight and all there and driving 9-10k is a good deal. IMO. An SS can also come with a bench seat and colum shifter.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Some of these estimates look good as a seller. Lets remember though OP is a buyer and a El Camino is no Chevelle. It's not a four speed or even bucket seat car and the factory color arguably is one of the less desirable ones , even though I like it.

As a buyer I like my estimate best:)

waterhorse

Reaction score
8-10k, if it is really as nice as you say and is correct except for the paint . I personally prefer an El Camino over a Chevelle but I'm in the minority.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
According to the CPI Book (Cars of Particular Interest), it shows a value of $9,000.00 for condition #4 (Presentable condition, Runs and drives and will pass a state safety inspection. May be driven on a daily basis. Generally in need of a consmetic restoration, but not a basket case.) I would deduct from that price what it would take to get it running.
When completely restored it is worth $33,850.00 and has gone up 3% since the last book.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
So what's he asking? Wife said I can buy an el camino

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I have a 68 el camino SS and its a L34 350HP four spd 12 bolt bucket car w A/C. Here is a good site that will help you decode it, the trouble is in 69 the only way to prove its not a clone and a real ss is with a pop tag (protecto plate) or a build sheet. As for pricing it seems that it may be a bit soft currently on elkys I know this why? As a member on a forum called el camino central there is a member who just bought a running driving 68 ss for less than 14K its condition was decent bought from another member. I guess all things realative if he wants 8-10 and you can verify its a true SS car then I would believe its worth it.

http://chevellestuff.net/1969/69ss.htm this will help decode and try to figure it out this site has tons of info for chevelle and el camino. If you do get it post up pics and I have a few sources for parts if you go down this road.

Good Luck,

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
To me $7,500 is a fair price and if you really want it and it meets several criteria, $10K is not out of line.

There are a lot of folks wanting El C's, so you really should not lose at those prices.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I have no doubt it is an all original numbers matching '69 396 SS. It is a neighbor of a family member and the chain of ownership is known. I'm not sure which 396 is is though? It does not have the bucket seats. The owner said it has never been in an accident but the passenger side rear quarter did have some minor body work done long ago. It was not detectible to the naked eye.

I prefer the 70-71 year models over the '69 but this one is real straight and original. At one time is was heavily involved in restoring cars and I am well aware of the cost. One of the main reasons I got out. (Many times not worth what you have in it in parts, let along time). With this car I would be betting I could get it running, at minimal expense, with some reliability and use it as a daily driver with low insurance and too keep miles off the truck.

If I can get it for $4000 I'll buy it. If not I'll post pictures and contact info in case anyone else wants it.

Again Thanks, lots of real good input!

jetskib

Reaction score
Unless you have a build sheet for this car it is just another El Camino, You may trust that is a true SS car but when you go to resell it you may not get top dollar with being able to prove it is a true SS

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
He may get lucky and find a build sheet on the top of the fuel tank. However not all of us are that lucky. If you get it for 4K that would be a great deal and if you want to flip it el camino central has them for sale all of the time.

wishiknew

Reaction score
He may get lucky and find a build sheet on the top of the fuel tank. However not all of us are that lucky. If you get it for 4K that would be a great deal and if you want to flip it el camino central has them for sale all of the time.

I had a 1970 and the build sheet was under the passanger seat between the springs and foam

Not So Fast

Reaction score
Depends where you want to take it, driver or show or in between. restoration costs big bucks nowadays. If its true SS then obviously more but sounds like $5000. I sold mine 2 years ago for around $33,000, 454 square port T400, posi, nice car. Good luck
NSF
ElCamino007_zps913051df.jpg

X Hoser

Reaction score

My intention is not to flip it. Just want to make sure there is a bail out point if it doesn't work out. Thanks again everybody for the input. I did not hear from him today so he is probably doing the same thing I am doing, checking out its value.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
From NADA

1969 EL Camino Super Sport 396 Factory Air Conditioning

Low
Retail $9,134

Average
Retail $17,920

High
Retail $26,040

Base Price $2,642

The SS396 option added 30% over a base El Co and the A/C added another 10%

X Hoser

Reaction score
From NADA

1969 EL Camino Super Sport 396 Factory Air Conditioning

Low
Retail $9,134

Average
Retail $17,920

High
Retail $26,040

Base Price $2,642

The SS396 option added 30% over a base El Co and the A/C added another 10%

I looked it up there too. Seems like NADA always seems high when I am looking to buy and low when looking to sell LOL! I think the $9134 is for an unrestored daily driver that needs only cosmetic help.

Dettom

Reaction score
I traded a 69 chevelle with no motor or trans. Needed paint and interior. Car had bucket seats, factory tach, disc, high option car.

Traded for a 69 c10 that was running and clean shape body. Sold the c10 for $7900.

If the el camino is a true SS and matching number car.... its worth BANK

This^^

Dettom

Reaction score
Unless you have a build sheet for this car it is just another El Camino, You may trust that is a true SS car but when you go to resell it you may not get top dollar with being able to prove it is a true SS

Not sure but I think the VIN code will tell if it's an original SS. I bought a 67 Chevelle SS 396 years ago when I was young and stupid, only to find out later that it wasn't an SS after all. If I remember, it was the vin plate that told me.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Not sure but I think the VIN code will tell if it's an original SS. I bought a 67 Chevelle SS 396 years ago when I was young and stupid, only to find out later that it wasn't an SS after all. If I remember, it was the vin plate that told me.

From 66-68 the Chevelle SS396 was a model with the VIN starting with 138. For 69 and later SS396 was a $350 option package that wasn't represented in the VIN. I would bet the El Camino's mirrored this protocol.

I bought a 68 instead of a 69 for this reason alone. Having the proof in the vin is much more convenient that having to procure a build sheet that you may or may not find.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
This thread is why people that own these cars get pissed when others come snooping around.

Don't lowball the guy and then come back here shaking your head when he doesn't take the offer, he can use Google as well I'm sure. 4K is below what that car is worth unless it is an utter and total basket case that is full of rust and "red neck engineering".

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Had me a 67 Elky in high school! 

Best looking year in my opnion! This was my fathers car. My brother and I now take care of it. My dad's first car was also a 1967 el camino (see 1st picture, not the same el camino) My whole child hood he was buying, enjoying, fixing and selling muscle cars. :thumbup:

David Allen Hovet 006.jpg
0001DSC_0011.jpg