WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Help! Snap-on tool liquidation / Estate sale?

Spudsbud

Reaction score
& then theres the cost of moving, shipping that tonnage.....
Condolences bout your BIL.

PaPaG

Reaction score
First off, very sorry for your loss. Now to the tools, If I were you I would take a little time and take some detailed pictures of the entire lot, who knows the value may be even more than thought so do not let them go for super cheap. There are a lot of wrenches out there that have the cash but do not want to put out big bucks for new tools, this would be a dream for a lot of them for 1/4 the cost. Get as much as you can and put the dough to good use.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I had a client who's mother used to collect sterling silver, Louis Vuitton Luggage and negro folk art among other things. She had rooms of it after a lifetime of collecting.

When she passed on he was able to sell these items off and made a ridiculous amount of money. I think he retired. The Louis Vuitton steamer trunk sold for $30,000.

I'm not suggesting tools are the same thing but perhaps getting a younger member of your family to do the EBay work might be better for you guys and teach the youngster about business and web design. You have an incredible amount of stuff. But it could take years to sell....

Maybe send a note to Pawn Stars. It could be TV worthy to roll in with all that stuff.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I read it the same. That’s why I said take your offer 😂

The only problem I see with donating it to a high school is theft. High school kids are shitheads. That’s the last place I would put a bunch of high value anything.

If they were matco or craftsman? Different story.
If I was forced to use craftsman ratchets at a trade school, I’d find a different trade where I didn’t have to use craftsman ratchets.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I would be interested in them. I can move them also.....

You have a fairly good auction going here. If you are serious, I'm sure this site could pull it together and make it happen. We are almost there already. If it gets serious, let me know.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
What's needed here is a 19 year old who is telling his parents "I want to be a mechanic...no college but a trade school. Can you please help me buy tools?"

Somehow find a way to communicate with some trade school, fab shop, etc. and get word out to some kid who doesn't yet have tools but the parents have money.

If this was my 19 year olds path we would be talking on the phone right now.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I’d carve out a nice kit for your son. Fits the pass down to next generation criteria and he’ll cherish them forever I bet.

Any mention from your BIL what he wanted to happen to his tools after passing? Sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can connect them to a person that appreciates quality tools instead of a flipper.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I had this very discussion with my punk ass Snap On guy last night.
“Well, your tool box is worth $2000 and the rest just sell to friends and maybe put an ad on CL.”

Ohh great, I’ll let my wife know 🤪.

My two grown adult boys have no interest, BUT , my 15 year old intern does. It’s gonna mean tons to me how his life will change with what I have acquired, once I have passed.

BingerFang

Reaction score
If I was forced to use craftsman ratchets at a trade school, I’d find a different trade where I didn’t have to use craftsman ratchets.

A trade school and the high school that was mentioned here are two different things.

Do you think the kids that grew up on iPads know the difference between a craftsman ratchet and a snap on ratchet? Lol 99.9% of them are there for an elective credit/fuck off class.

Last edited:

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I need a bit of advice / guidance please. I have been given the not so pleasurable task of attempting to liquidate my recently passed brother in-laws tools. I know there is a huge Snap-On market on EBay but we really don't have the desire or time to piece it out and ship 1000's of individual items. I can’t even explain how packed these boxes are!!! He was an incredible welder, machinist, fabricator, engineer, car builder & designer and had just about every tool to support his career. 98% of the items are Snap-on & in near perfect condition.

The local Snap-on dealers have provided little to no help. We haven’t completed the piece by piece inventory but the initial estimated retail value is hovering around $100K. The boxes alone were $20K. The estates preference is to sell the package as a whole.

What the hell do I do with it???

As a whole will it bring .30 to .40 cents on the dollar?

We appreciate your help or suggestions? Thanks Tim

Location = Redlands Ca.

View attachment 1156408
View attachment 1156409
View attachment 1156410
View attachment 1156413
View attachment 1156417

Trying to sell $100k of tools is going to be tuff. I’d first start with figuring out how much it weighs, and how to ship it.

The person who buys the set, will probably be someone in Alaska, or Canada, living in a remote area. I’m thinking “Ice Road Truckers” remote service center.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
There are certain tools I will buy, because I know it will get used more than once. Then, there are the "tools" cobbled together for that "one job". For instance, I made a tool to draw the inner grease seals in on 2 1/2 ton Rockwell axles. I needed to do mine, and the official tool cost more than the axle. Since then, done a handful of other seals, tractor, truck and implement, with that same POS.
The problem is, only a couple people know what it is. Like so many tool truck things, you don't know you need it, until you need it. Like your heater disconnect tool, the guy who needed on, bought it. Most people would see it in a box of trinkets and have no clue what it's purpose is.

Then, there is also the time frame in which wrenches were turned. Whoever clears my crap out is going to be confused. Dwell meters and timing lights are archaic by modern standards, but I keep them in the same drawer with my OTC scanner and DMM...
Some "techs" today don't know how to square off a press, or set up a gear splitter. Some tools will be lost to time, just as the knowledge the old mechanics had.
Dwell meters and timing lights up the gazoo in my boxes!! What's a OTC scanner and a DMM? Remember, old fart here! 😁 Hell, at my shop in Orygun, I wouldn't even work on a boat without a dizzy or points, oh and it had to have a mechanical fuel pump also. Points, contacts, are like a rotary phone to the youngin's.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Dwell meters and timing lights up the gazoo in my boxes!! What's a OTC scanner and a DMM? Remember, old fart here! 😁 Hell, at my shop in Orygun, I wouldn't even work on a boat without a dizzy or points, oh and it had to have a mechanical fuel pump also. Points, contacts, are like a rotary phone to the youngin's.
Reminds me: Had a neighbor kid ask if I could look at his truck. Just swapped heads, won't run...78 SB 4x4.

He'd run all the rockers down with a gun!
I didn't know whether to laugh, or cry for our youth :oops:
Showed him how to adjust valves that day.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Don't do it! You won't be able to find anything for weeks🤣
My main rollaway I work out of daily I bought as a dent/scratch (right upper corner , bottom box) from Sears in 1975 , I call on shops around the area for my other work and am stunned by the "Tool carts" they must be in hock up to their balls

Attachments

• IMG-3701.jpg
    IMG-3701.jpg
    745.6 KB · Views: 84

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss , awesome display LOTS of $$ , as you may know most mechanics and technicians follow the tool trucks like "Pinocchio and Spengalli" , that said I for example was always in debt on Snap on, Mac, Matco's "time payment program" Although that collection is pristine in looks I suspect it was purchased over a bit of time . The majority if mechanics might never have the scratch to step up to a big bunch all at once , My suggestion is to find someone you can trust that might broker this as a "lot" for the least headaches and best returns on the money

HST4ME

Reaction score
No shit, Snap On or nothing. Between Snap On and Mac..plus all the special outboard/IO tools, I stopped counting receipts at almost $200,000 after 30 years of tool trucks

TimeBandit

Reaction score
My wife freaks out when I buy a new toy... she only thinks "what am I going to do with it when you die"

I'm not a fan of this way of thinking... and I keep adding toys to the collection.

My latest trick was bribing her with a new car and assuring her there are plenty of liquid assets to hold her over while she figures out what to do with all my shit.

I have one son in law who likes tools, he isn't any good with them, but he likes 'em!

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss.
I have a friend with a collection close to this. He has instructions for his wife and daughters.
Droolin' over the vise grip drawer.

BigRedBryan

Reaction score
Right there with you. I have 6 different snap on boxes for some reason. I just upgraded one for the fuck of it because it was new and cool. And then ordered the stainless power top to it. I have pics on my phone.
I desperately need a bigger box, or at least a triple bank top section. My tool cart is almost as bad. Haha

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Im doing ok for only 15years in the game. some of my stuff is older than I am 😱. All the stickers are mine tho View attachment 1156813

if you feel like splitting any diag stuff off. id be interested.
Some of mine is new, some used...but I have 1/4" drive that my driver dated about 1950! It and a tiny Proto adjustable came from my 90yo uncle when he past. It's in the 1/4" drawer, it's been relegated to carb assembly. Just enough to keep it freed up, but won't be used for popping things loose anymore.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Some of mine is new, some used...but I have 1/4" drive that my driver dated about 1950! It and a tiny Proto adjustable came from my 90yo uncle when he past. It's in the 1/4" drawer, it's been relegated to carb assembly. Just enough to keep it freed up, but won't be used for popping things loose anymore.

a handful of my wrenches are "Sears" wrenches. 😅 There arent any hand me down tools in my collection; its all stuff Ive collected. Im the first of my kind in my family.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
a handful of my wrenches are "Sears" wrenches. 😅 There arent any hand me down tools in my collection; its all stuff Ive collected. Im the first of my kind in my family.
When I started, I saved for a Craftsman "briefcase". Pops liked cars, but wasn't much for working with them. First truck purchase was a powerprobe in 1995...still have it. My stuff ranges from Chinesium to Snap-On...and some American companies that no longer exist.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This sounds like @RiverDave’s next money making scheme

Not really sure what that means..

I’d buy em to keep them. It’s extremely rare you will ever see me sell a tool. I even have my dads first socket set from the 50’s that is snap on. Lol

For machining I have duplicates and even triplicates of some tools and I don’t even sell those.

Height gauges / etc stuff you really don’t need multiples

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

I’d buy em to keep them. It’s extremely rare you will ever see me sell a tool. I even have my dads first socket set from the 50’s that is snap on. Lol

For machining I have duplicates and even triplicates of some tools and I don’t even sell those.

Lol no dark undertones from me. I was thinking more along the lines of the pallets of MREs. Love the hustle.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Having done something similar with EBay a few years back…… You will definitely get the best return by piecing it out, however, it will be a full time job for two people for at least 6 months.
You’ve got interest here, call a used tool broker or two and get quotes. Throw a number out there and take the best offer.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I have a Snap-On addiction. Been going on the truck for forty years. My wife is awesome, five years ago my Snap-On dealer walks in the shop and asks where I want my new box. Puzzled, I said what box? He said my wife bought me the big one on the truck for our wedding anniversary. I would have never spent that kind of money for a tool box, but I love it. I have the same problem, no one to leave it to, my daughter is a nurse and no boys.

fast99

Reaction score
Having done something similar with EBay a few years back…… You will definitely get the best return by piecing it out, however, it will be a full time job for two people for at least 6 months.
You’ve got interest here, call a used tool broker or two and get quotes. Throw a number out there and take the best offer.

Very true, I have bought and sold tools that way. Usually trade at about 60-70% of new. The ratchet drawer, on average each cost $100 or more today. Don't know if 20k is fair but those tools really add up quick. Selling complete for more might be a challenge. Most techs I worked with bought tools with a weekly payment, even older techs. They just don't have the ready cash and buying a set like that some of the tools may be duplicated.

Sorry for your loss.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Yeah but it's still so hard to come to terms with selling them 🤣🤣🤣

I have a 3rd beautiful Lagun Mill that is sitting on 4x4s with the head flipped and never been powered on since i bought it.

DLC

Reaction score
I have a Snap-On addiction. Been going on the truck for forty years. My wife is awesome, five years ago my Snap-On dealer walks in the shop and asks where I want my new box. Puzzled, I said what box? He said my wife bought me the big one on the truck for our wedding anniversary. I would have never spent that kind of money for a tool box, but I love it. I have the same problem, no one to leave it to, my daughter is a nurse and no boys.
If it helps, I’ll take it when your ready!

inmates helping inmates! RDP is Far reaching and always helping….

lol

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
My wife freaks out when I buy a new toy... she only thinks "what am I going to do with it when you die"

I'm not a fan of this way of thinking... and I keep adding toys to the collection.

My latest trick was bribing her with a new car and assuring her there are plenty of liquid assets to hold her over while she figures out what to do with all my shit.

I have one son in law who likes tools, he isn't any good with them, but he likes 'em!
Only problem is she’s going to sell them for what you SAID you paid for them.
My brother told his wife when he dies just unload it. And he’s got a lot. Not all pretty snap on stuff, but more than a lot of shops.
Me I’m fine with mostly craftsman and my HF box. It’s served me well.

ltbaney1

Reaction score

you mean i dont need 3 different 0-1" Mikes and multiple calipers?!?!?

just_floatin

Reaction score
I am thinking it is time for an upgrade too. I will continue to watch this thread ever so closely.
BBF913B2-ED08-4E0D-8325-66427C7AA1E6.jpeg

gqchris

Reaction score
This is why EVERYTHING has to be figured out ahead of time with Wives and Families. I have certain friends designated so my shit doesn't get "liquidated".

On the other hand, this is why i downsized by 80% recently. I could not stick my wife with all those toys if something happened. Since I have no family nor does she, its up to my best friends as I designated to handle the rest.

4Waters

Reaction score
This is why EVERYTHING has to be figured out ahead of time with Wives and Families. I have certain friends designated so my shit doesn't get "liquidated".

On the other hand, this is why i downsized by 80% recently. I could not stick my wife with all those toys if something happened. Since I have no family nor does she, its up to my best friends as I designated to handle the rest.
What do I get? Better not be that bike🤣

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Have you evet heard of anyone, Ever??? selling their tools except in a dead relative or divorse situation maybe ?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Have you evet heard of anyone, Ever??? selling their tools except in a dead relative or divorse situation maybe ?
Unfortunately, there are two other types that sell tools. The obvious tweaker types, that probably stole them is one. The other has been mentioned, the guys who got upside down, and need to eat.