WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Help (wife’s job, relocating??)

attitude

Reaction score
I just started doing the drive from Corona to South Corona, my commute is 20 in the morning but 30-45 in the afternoon. I can only imagine by how aggressive people drive that they have already been sitting in traffic coming back from OC for over an hour at that point. For her mental well being I would not do that commute unless it were a life changing amount of money.

Is it possible they can compromise on a hybrid position?

boatpi

Reaction score
If your gross family income is below 150K, STAY WHERE U ARE!

racektm

Reaction score
If your gross family income is below 150K, STAY WHERE U ARE!
To boat PI's point, if the 20K is a 10% increase vs a 50% increase, it will have more bearing on the value of the 20K to their family,

Dirtbag

Reaction score
@Bpracing1127 if you could make the move to yorba linda, which is a great city still, We have been extremely happy with Esperanza HS,, Yorba Linda HS is even better rankings wise. I work at EHS, alumni of EHS, daughter graduated there 2 years ago and is at an extremely expensive higher education school in PA now. She was a 4.6 student and her 83000 a year tuition costs us $900 a year. The teachers and admin at EHS are great and really care about the kids. We have a good mix of liberals and conservatives at the school and all the social science teachers are conservatives :)

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Yuuup
I would be looking at the south side of the 91 from about Green River to Lincoln. It’s a great area at the base of the Hills and the commute isn’t all that bad to Irvine running the toll road.

Public Schools in south corona are also very good we were very happy with our son’s education. There is crossroads in Corona but it’s pricey and honestly I’m just not a huge fan of private schools as I don’t think they really prepare you for the real world.

Anything past where I’m describing is going to be brutal or worse. There is literally no way I could have done a Temecula or Murietta to OC drive.

Honestly the pay raise would have to be pretty dang big to offset a work from home position imho. She will spend 2 hours minimum a day on the road , gas isn’t cheap and like mentioned the toll road while 100% worth it will cost you. My job game me a lot more freedom than my wife who worked in Aliso Viejo so anytime something came up with the kid at school or day care I was on my way back to Corona. Not a big deal for me but I could see some employers not being so understanding.

I have a great realtor in the area if you need one.

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
I just got home....was off at 3. From 55 near MacArthur......exited 91 @ Lincoln. Roughly 45- 1 hr. No toll roads...fuck that shit. And traffic was light...typical for a Monday. Add 15-30 for a Thursday or Friday....and another 15-20 from the Spectrum. The 5 between Bake/Alton to the 55 sucks balls.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
"I'd stay. Gavin Newsom has some really exciting plans to make CA even better than it is already. Plus Southern Utah has really had some subpar new residents move in." - Everyone

TCHB

Reaction score
Ok so my wife and I were serious about moving to southern Utah. We have been looking at homes there for 4-5 months now. The reasons for moving there

Schools
Political and ecnomical climate
Traffic
Physical distance back to Orange County (family) and to the river for boating/offroading
Neighborhoods (lots of kids)

Any many more reasons

Well today my wife get a meeting with the vp of HR and they want her to be director of payroll a step up from HR business partner however this proposed new roll doesn’t allow her to work remote as we both would have done in southern utah.

A couple of questions we have, how are private schools in so cal?

Realistically how is the commute from inland empire /Temecula area to Irvine?

Any questions my wife should be asking her employer?

Thanks
I would move closer to Irvine. Irvine is a nice place to live and has pretty good public schools. Yes it is more expensive but it is nice.
Commute in from Temecula would be nuts !

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I would move closer to Irvine. Irvine is a nice place to live and has pretty good public schools. Yes it is more expensive but it is nice.
Commute in from Temecula would be nuts !

Living the dream in irvine....1.3 for no land a hoa and association fees. Sadly this is the cheapest Irvine listing on zillow.

8k a month after 240k down :D

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Mission Viejo or Lake Forest will probably be the lowest you'll get. I'd maybe even consider a townhouse to get in the real estate game.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
DON'T DO IT. I wouldn't do it for 100K more a year. The drive alone would be hours each way. 20-30 hours extra a week.
The life change is not worth it.

DaveH

Reaction score
im guessing you lived on CA all your life? that's why a commute from hell doesn't sound like a bad idea. its what we KNOW and "seems" normal.

it ain't. your quality of life will go down and your vehicle costs will go up. you would see a few bucks in your pocket after taxes and the costs of the commuting.

GTFO and you will ask yourself why you waited so long...............

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I used to live in Wildomar (just north of Temecula) and commute to RSM and then later to Santa Ana. It sucks. In hind sight, now being gone from there for 6 years, there is no way I'd do it again. Taking the 15 to 91 is over an hour at 4AM. Leaving Santa Ana after 2:30 or so and an hour and half with no accidents. I studied the map and figured a short cut from Green River to Dos Lagos. Not sure if it was any quicker but at least your moving the whole time and not sitting still.

When my office was in RSM I took Ortega. After a few years I came to know every inch of that road. Same deal, I 'd leave at 4AM and it was mostly white pickup trucks (construction guys) and everyone hauls ass pretty good but again, as long as there are no wrecks. A wreck on Ortega and you're F'd because you can't get around it.

I don't think there is any amount of money I could get paid that would make me do it again (not just commute but having to live in SoCal).

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Take Temecula off the list! I live in Temecula and love it but wouldn’t do that drive for a 9-5 job. I did it the last 10yrs as a outside sales job but set my own hours and all my guys knew where I worked so they knew my bug out time from OC! As far as schools Temecula Public schools are good and we have camping and neighborhood friends that we’ve meet through our kids. I grew up going to private school and if you aren’t a well off family and other kids find out it can get rough. The private schools also can’t handle a lot of the learning disability type stuff as well as the public schools I can and I could go into way more on this topic. your question is more around the commute and that’s a hard pass!

Maestro

Reaction score
Ok so my wife and I were serious about moving to southern Utah. We have been looking at homes there for 4-5 months now. The reasons for moving there

Schools
Political and ecnomical climate
Traffic
Physical distance back to Orange County (family) and to the river for boating/offroading
Neighborhoods (lots of kids)

Any many more reasons

Well today my wife get a meeting with the vp of HR and they want her to be director of payroll a step up from HR business partner however this proposed new roll doesn’t allow her to work remote as we both would have done in southern utah.

A couple of questions we have, how are private schools in so cal?

Realistically how is the commute from inland empire /Temecula area to Irvine?

Any questions my wife should be asking her employer?

Thanks
My wife works in a private school called Orion in Ontario CA.

f12517

Reaction score
Something to think about….her employer will not be able to fill that roll for her salary plus $20k….

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Might be cheaper and easier to rent an apartment around Irvine and only commute every other day. Otherwise she will want a drink and a whipping boy every night when she gets home

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Let’s change it up, what if we stay in Orange County renting vs buying? What do you think about that?

Roosky01

Reaction score
I dont know shit about private schools in Southern CA, but I'd have to imagine a private school worth a shit out there has got to be more than $20k/year?

hallett21

Reaction score
I’m renting now so there is that
If leaving for Utah is seriously on the table I don’t know how purchasing would pencil out.

Now if you did buy you’d get up to I believe a 10k property tax deduction. Whatever your budget is you can figure out the taxes and see what your write off is.

You’re obviously paying into your own equity by owning, but my guess is that it is significantly cheaper to rent vs purchasing the same home in OC.

If you’re the homeowner all repairs fall on your shoulders, and currently all trades are at an all time high.

I think if you were to live there for 5-10 years you’d do well. But 6 months to a year and you’d lose any equity in commissions on the sale.

C-2

Reaction score
A decent private school is 10-12K for upper grades, less for elementary
Any CalState College, by comparison, is about 8K
In many cities you don't need private school.

You also have Eastvale and Norco areas, south Ontario/Eastvale/Chino. Those areas would allow her to take the train. 2.5 hour total travel time per day (1 hr Corona to Irvine), $161 month. Housing is also significantly cheaper than any decent area in the OC.

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
The increase will help buy a place in st Georg.

take the job. stay where your at for now and pocket some cash …. stash it away! Keep looking for a home in SG.

If you find something in SG buy it and rent out it for a year,
That will buy you some time So wife can take a different position in the company.

interest rates are high and housing is short on supply

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Why not just make the move to Utah and find the better job after? Chase the dream, not the money. Get your roots settled and your young family set so the kids can get not get moved around. Do it because you can.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
That commute gets old quick.

Have them throw in a company car, fast trac pass, and pay for private schools.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
No way would me or my wife do that. Especially, not for 20k as others have said. My wife took a 15k pay cut to do a job she liked better. Was worth every penny for her to be happier. I would be talking 50k plus tolls and a modified work schedule.

Payroll is a computer job correct? Why can't that be done remotely, at least part of the time?

hman442

Reaction score
I live in a different world, rural central/eastern Oregon, my commute is about 12 minutes, as I live in the country. I guess it's all about what you're used to, but I cannot even imagine those commute times and conditions that you guys are talking about. Sure, I have vacationed in SoCal, and been on those freeways, but cannot imagine doing that five days a week. I think it, as was said earlier, must "feel normal", as you're used to it, but the quality of life, the time not spent at home, with the family is huge! It's easy to slip into "living to work", as opposed to "work to make a living". I vote to follow your gut, get out of there, find a place where you make less money, real estate is affordable, the air is clean, your both home to have a normal dinner time, evenings together, you both can go to the kids events, you put 1000 miles a month on the car instead of 5000. Spending 40 to 60 hours a month doing a stress filled commute wouldn't be worth it if the salary was a million bucks a year. Go with your original plan, and in a short time, you'll wonder why you even considered the alternative.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I live in a different world, rural central/eastern Oregon, my commute is about 12 minutes, as I live in the country. I guess it's all about what you're used to, but I cannot even imagine those commute times and conditions that you guys are talking about. Sure, I have vacationed in SoCal, and been on those freeways, but cannot imagine doing that five days a week. I think it, as was said earlier, must "feel normal", as you're used to it, but the quality of life, the time not spent at home, with the family is huge! It's easy to slip into "living to work", as opposed to "work to make a living". I vote to follow your gut, get out of there, find a place where you make less money, real estate is affordable, the air is clean, your both home to have a normal dinner time, evenings together, you both can go to the kids events, you put 1000 miles a month on the car instead of 5000. Spending 40 to 60 hours a month doing a stress filled commute wouldn't be worth it if the salary was a million bucks a year. Go with your original plan, and in a short time, you'll wonder why you even considered the alternative.

It all depends on the individuals and their employer.....my wife's company respects my wife and her commute, after many years they allowed her to work from home 2 days a week, this was all prior to Covid...and they let her pick her hours she wanted to work on her days in the office...so she works from 6a to 2:30p...shes home before 4pm usually every day and I am usually still working in my home office until 5p....it works for us and its not a complete shitshow like a lot of people posting make it seem...

We moved from OC to Canyon Lake about 16 years ago, at the time my wife was working in Santa Ana and I was working in City of Commerce...we both commuted everyday...we moved here knowing the commute was going to be bad, but we loved it here and were willing to make the sacrifice..

Also, keep hearing "stress filled commute"...but the commute is really only stressful if you let it be...yes there can be some bad days...but 98% of the time my wife is not in a bad mood or stressed out when she gets home....she knows its going to be "x" amount of time, she pops on a podcast or a audio book, and just goes with the flow

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
If your wife is excited about the promotion and it helps get her reach some career goals, I'd consider negotiating for a better pay increase and take the promotion. If renting in OC is an option to reduce the commute, I would do that. I would also consider a 2-3 year plan to move to Southern Utah, where your wife will be able to find another director level position either based in Utah or remote. I would not do a long commute to and from OC.

mbrown2

Reaction score
How about she try and negotiate hybrid... remote 3 weeks a month; in office 1; they pay travel expense for being in the office 1 week a month...southern Utah...I would drive to Vegas and fly in out of there...700 to 1k a month in travel the company picks up seems doable...

TCHB

Reaction score

Living the dream in irvine....1.3 for no land a hoa and association fees. Sadly this is the cheapest Irvine listing on zillow.

8k a month after 240k down :D
If your wife is excited about the promotion and it helps get her reach some career goals, I'd consider negotiating for a better pay increase and take the promotion. If renting in OC is an option to reduce the commute, I would do that. I would also consider a 2-3 year plan to move to Southern Utah, where your wife will be able to find another director level position either based in Utah or remote. I would not do a long commute to and from OC.
With her next promotion she can live in Newport Beach.

Xring01

Reaction score
Now my thoughts are pass on the job. And move. This is our opportunity to move and get the hell out of here. The main reason for moving was more family life and quality of life.

The public schools in garden grove suck and I have heard too many horror stories for public and private schools in Orange County.

We want my son (4) to have kids to play with and get a good job education.

I personally hate living here. It sucks big time and our quality of life sucks now. My wife commutes s it is from garden grove to Irvine and it’s an hour each way. So doesn’t leave until 7 am (drops my son off at daycare) and doesn’t get home till 6:30. So our family quality of life is not great. I am also sick of the 5-6 hour drives to the river as well.

My wife really like her.m company and they have treated her right (5 years now) she is one of the only people to be remote and she values what they think of her. She has already passed up one mgmt job because it basically requires 15 hours days and that isn’t for her. This new one isn’t that bad but I worry about her taking on more. She doesn’t do well with that?

With all that being said I am leaning towards no but she hasn’t been excited for a promotion like this before so idk
If you chose to move to Temecula area.. I highly recommend you look at the North West corner of Murrieta/Wildomar on the west side of I15. This gives you access to some pretty good schools and access to high 74, which drops you off in San Jaun Cap… Thats the best advice I would give someone who has to stay and move to that area.

I lived in that areas from 1997-2022.. I left for lots of reasons. There are threads on RDP that I created on why. Bottom line.. I was putting 30,000 miles a year on a car in SoCal for many years.

I do not recommend a commute from Murrieta to OC everyday, I would say on average its gonna be an hour an 45 minutes one way, with the occasional 2.5 hour when there is a bad accident.

CA has been going down hill for a long time, has no respect for the middle class, even the good schools are still filled with kids from dumb ass parents. You cant escape stupid in CA… It will find you and your kids.

My advice… GET THE FUCK OUT ASAP.

Owe… by relocating from SoCal to Reno NV areas, I estimate I have saved $20k-$25k/year… I even created a spreadsheet of all the states I was interested in moving to, to determine the “Cost of Living” for my ###s, before I made the move. My property taxs dropped about 75%, I basically sold a home in SoCal and paid the same price for on near Reno NV. Combine that with no State income tax, and lots of other things… it adds up in hurry…

Dont chase the pay check, chase the quality of life. Its not about how much money you make, its about how much you keep at the end of the day, and raising your family in safe environment that can set them up for success in the future. Ca is making that very difficult for most.

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
What is your end goal? Do you want to move to UT because its cheaper to buy a house? If you could by a house in CA would you stay?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
What is your end goal? Do you want to move to UT because its cheaper to buy a house? If you could by a house in CA would you stay?
End goal is to get out of this crappy state. We don’t like it here anymore and moving within the state wont really fix that either.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Update.

Wife’s company came back with a 50k increase (havnt negotiated yet)

With that being said if she takes this posistion (permanently) then her current posistion will get filled and her (current posistion) offers her to be full time remote so kinda bummer there.

If she takes it as temp posistion to reorganize the department and clean it up (it’s a mess) for say 12-18 months she will get the nice salary bump but her current posistion will be filled and she is left without a job so to speak ( they would make her permanent in that roll I would think)

The last option is they need a compliance department and my wife loves doing compliance it can be a full remote job as it’s doing compliance all over the US. This job doesn’t exist at this time but has been in the talking block for some time now. This is where she want to end up anyways.

So we talked and she is going to see if they can get the compliance thing moving (approved by CEO) and then from there negotiate the temp salary and wait to move for another 12-18 months while preparing to move thereafter. We would keep renting our house in garden grove and nothing changes from today for traffic or location.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
End goal is to get out of this crappy state. We don’t like it here anymore and moving within the state wont really fix that either.
Then there you go..... Stay current job wise and move. You just need to keep the CA pay cause it will be harder to find in southern UT....

Wedgy

Reaction score
All I can add, was in the year 2000, the 15n to the 91w offramp was a solid sea of red tailights coming up from the South, at 5:15 am. That's 22 years ago.

Moving from San Diego, to West Texas in 2014, was the best move I've ever made.

I'd think with your goals and skills, education and goals for the Kid's, plus quality of life, Utah would be a plus.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Update.

Wife’s company came back with a 50k increase (havnt negotiated yet)

With that being said if she takes this posistion (permanently) then her current posistion will get filled and her (current posistion) offers her to be full time remote so kinda bummer there.

If she takes it as temp posistion to reorganize the department and clean it up (it’s a mess) for say 12-18 months she will get the nice salary bump but her current posistion will be filled and she is left without a job so to speak ( they would make her permanent in that roll I would think)

The last option is they need a compliance department and my wife loves doing compliance it can be a full remote job as it’s doing compliance all over the US. This job doesn’t exist at this time but has been in the talking block for some time now. This is where she want to end up anyways.

So we talked and she is going to see if they can get the compliance thing moving (approved by CEO) and then from there negotiate the temp salary and wait to move for another 12-18 months while preparing to move thereafter. We would keep renting our house in garden grove and nothing changes from today for traffic or location.
50k is a legit salary bump.... unless you are an RDP baller.