WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Help with a bucket list item in upstate New York?

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I have been racing motocross for 40 years. My racing buddy now has my son and wife on board with the idea of taking our Vintage bikes back to Unadilla New York in June. We have just started planning this logistical nightmare, and I think the biggest hurdle we may run into, is why I'm reaching out to the vast global empire that is RDP. I need to rent an RV somewhere near either the Syracuse, Albany, Ithaca airports, that 4 people can live in comfortably for a few days and nights while actually at the racetrack.
It seems as though it doesn't matter much which airport I will be flying in to, but the closer the rental place is to the airport, the better I would think. Renting from a private party would be fine too, but I don't know how to search for that. Can I buy a clue?

A second item that would really make my life easier is a way to ship 2 or 3 dirt bikes and a small trailer from NY back to so Cal. As always, any ideas or helpful hints are most welcomed.

caribbean20

Reaction score
I have been racing motocross for 40 years. My racing buddy now has my son and wife on board with the idea of taking our Vintage bikes back to Unadilla New York in June. We have just started planning this logistical nightmare, and I think the biggest hurdle we may run into, is why I'm reaching out to the vast global empire that is RDP. I need to rent an RV somewhere near either the Syracuse, Albany, Ithaca airports, that 4 people can live in comfortably for a few days and nights while actually at the racetrack.
It seems as though it doesn't matter much which airport I will be flying in to, but the closer the rental place is to the airport, the better I would think. Renting from a private party would be fine too, but I don't know how to search for that. Can I buy a clue?

A second item that would really make my life easier is a way to ship 2 or 3 dirt bikes and a small trailer from NY back to so Cal. As always, any ideas or helpful hints are most welcomed.
Sorry no help from me just wanted commend you on one crazy ass plan. That sounds awesome! Let’s see a pic of that CZ in your avatar. Is that the bike you’ll ride?

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
From upstate and my family still lives there. May be able to help you guys with storage and staging out of Syracuse area. PM me.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
I live in the Albany area. I know Albany RV rents RV's they are close to Albany International Airport. Might try coming in to Newburgh, NY or Scranton, PA., about the same distance to Unadilla but don't know of any RV dealers close by to those areas.

K-DOG

Reaction score
try outdoorsy or rvshare for renting the rv in NY.

PlumLoco

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the responses. Last year we spent 2 weeks camping out of the back of a Toyota Highlander. Essentilally drove to Canada and back, sightseeing all the way. THis is going to be the same kind of deal coming home, but I'm flying in to NY. Wife is going to get the full 2 week road trip camping out of a VW Jetta wagon LOL. Life is an adventure, ain't it?

Any more tip/hints? Keep 'em coming please.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Rvshare.com for the motorhome.. u ship.com to send the trailer. :)

PlumLoco

Reaction score
World Champ.JPG

If anyone cares, this is one of the bikes that may be going. $100 frame from CL, clapped out motor from Marty Tripes. Lots of bling from some of the nation's CZ gurus like taller GP seat, modern clutch plates (dry clutch) lots of weight reducing mods etc. My buddy Matt and I built this in a week in 2016 for the CZ World Championships. Literally finished it up on a Thursday night, went to bed as zombies for 4 hours, and then hauled ass to Sacramento. Only adjustments we had to make were to the brakes. After the dust settled we had won the pre-1974 long travel class.
For this race we are taking a 77 YZ 250 for my buddy and son to ride, and I think I will be taking my 78 Husqvarna 390 instead of the CZ if I can get the motor rebuilt by then. Money is kinda tight for the toys right now. Emergency bathroom renovations are friggin' spendy.

PlumLoco

Reaction score
JS.jpg
JS.jpg

My brush with royalty. Bad Brad Lackey got some of his first pro victories riding for CZ. John DeSoto at 70 some years of age, beat him out of second in one of the races. DeSoto is one fit old man, still does one handed push ups with a smile on his face.

caribbean20

Reaction score
View attachment 847875

If anyone cares, this is one of the bikes that may be going. $100 frame from CL, clapped out motor from Marty Tripes. Lots of bling from some of the nation's CZ gurus like taller GP seat, modern clutch plates (dry clutch) lots of weight reducing mods etc. My buddy Matt and I built this in a week in 2016 for the CZ World Championships. Literally finished it up on a Thursday night, went to bed as zombies for 4 hours, and then hauled ass to Sacramento. Only adjustments we had to make were to the brakes. After the dust settled we had won the pre-1974 long travel class.
For this race we are taking a 77 YZ 250 for my buddy and son to ride, and I think I will be taking my 78 Husqvarna 390 instead of the CZ if I can get the motor rebuilt by then. Money is kinda tight for the toys right now. Emergency bathroom renovations are friggin' spendy.
Thanks for the pic. That bike looks very similar to a ‘74 250 Penton (KTM) that I had. I’m probably about your age and had to take 20 years off from riding due to the job. Finally got a 250 KTM SX last year that I ride on local tracks here in CO. Love it.
Man you are hanging with MX royalty rubbing elbows with those guys!

PlumLoco

Reaction score
I'll be 59 next month. I'm thinking real hard about getting a modern bike so I can keep racing with my son's RMZ. I can turn under his 250, but he walks even my 6 speed Husky. Last year Jaroslav Falta was there with a bunch of "commie" riders from the 60's and 70's. Rex Staten too. Rex's motor builder (and later Big Cheese for DG) has had his hands on my motor.