WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HELP with Berkeley pump?

Water-Man

Reaction score
quick question. since im learning new things about the Berk/AT pump I just bought.

the pump has been completely reconditioned. But the stamp shows this was done in 12/2002, by hi-tech performance.
the inside of the tunnel and all parts look nearly new, there is not a scratch inside the tunnel.

so Im guessing(hoping) it has not been used since the rebuild.

When I tired to turn the pump by hand, I could barely get it to turn. After doing it for a couple minutes it started to free up
and I could turn it with both hands using one inside the cleanout port and the other on the spline.
In fact I have blisters on my hand from turning the shaft.

it appears to feel like resistance against the side of the wear ring, based on feel at a certain points.
there is no grinding noise.(but it is lubricated).just a slight sliding or swishing sound.

After talking to Alex at intermountain marine here in Canada, he told me that the new packing glands would make it difficult to turn.
and I know they must be water lubricated and have a slight "drip" about once every minute.

I am assuming new packing gland. The Impeller is greased heavily at the wear ring.

it has a bronze impeller.
IS this normal for a reconditioned pump to be that tight?

J 2

Reaction score
Yes, this all looks normal to me. When you run it all of that grease will be blown out. Probably good they did that since it sat unused for so long. I'm familiar with Hi Tech & JBP, both good at what they do. The last pump of mine I worked on I could spin the shaft freely with one hand. It did have one small area where it seemed to catch like yours is, since I was in & out of the pump I lightly sanded both the wear ring and impeller by hand with 600 wet sandpaper until it stopped. I would run it just like it is.

Water-Man

Reaction score
Yes, this all looks normal to me. When you run it all of that grease will be blown out. Probably good they did that since it sat unused for so long. I'm familiar with Hi Tech & JBP, both good at what they do. The last pump of mine I worked on I could spin the shaft freely with one hand. It did have one small area where it seemed to catch like yours is, since I was in & out of the pump I lightly sanded both the wear ring and impeller by hand with 600 wet sandpaper until it stopped. I would run it just like it is.
J 2 Thanks! I had to know just to be sure, so I took the packing out. sure enough they used only 3 rings. and the shaft was actually harder to turn.(im guessing because the force of the packing slightly pushed the shaft outwards, even tho, there is zero end play)so, It has an orange "ultimate wear ring" and I wonder if that is the issue?

J 2

Reaction score
That's the HTP Ultimate wear ring. I have one on my shelf for when I need it on my next project. Makes sense on the grease, it helps the break in process. Never run this jet out of water, you'll melt it. Not even with a strong hose. My comments about sanding should not be done with your setup. You're good to go. You might be able to get more info by calling Duane at HTP, he's back East, don't remember where exactly.

Water-Man

Reaction score
J 2 well for your personal enjoyment, and a good laugh, like an idiot, It did not occur to me that not having a bearing cap could be a difference, so I realized this also pushes the shaft slightly forward. maybe .005" so Im guessing thats going to free it up a lot. I talked to David at Hi-perf Tech, and we both agreed this ws also a big factor. so thats good news. I ordered an bearing cap, and should get it in a couple weeks, coming in from the States. I am in Canada. up North here on Lake Huron. I really appreciate your help.

guest hs

Reaction score
Probably the new packing the gland could be a little tight