WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

help with corsair SK 15

Reaction score
recently purchased a 15 foot fiberglass flat bottom ski boat . data plate says corsair boats riverside california .model SK15 serial number SK48165 .the only info i can find for corsair boats is all about sail boats. anyone know about this manufacturer? it looks like something from '60s the engine on it is a 4 cyl 65 hp merc that is a 1965 model according to the serial numbers. any additional information would be greatly app thanks

gqchris

Reaction score
recently purchased a 15 foot fiberglass flat bottom ski boat . data plate says corsair boats riverside california .model SK15 serial number SK48165 .the only info i can find for corsair boats is all about sail boats. anyone know about this manufacturer? it looks like something from '60s the engine on it is a 4 cyl 65 hp merc that is a 1965 model according to the serial numbers. any additional information would be greatly app thanks

Welcome to RDP, Some pics will help us identify. There is a ton of knowledge here. Congrats on your new float.

Reaction score

Attachments

• F29C052C-E79D-4813-954A-1DF8A01AB172.jpeg
    F29C052C-E79D-4813-954A-1DF8A01AB172.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 281
  • DCA4C0C3-5102-4BB6-9D29-CB0096A3D1AA.jpeg
    DCA4C0C3-5102-4BB6-9D29-CB0096A3D1AA.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 232
  • FC4427CE-052C-4BD7-BC2C-40D6B3878520.jpeg
    FC4427CE-052C-4BD7-BC2C-40D6B3878520.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 228

HST4ME

Reaction score
1964 Merc 650. They were good motors. Cool find, needs love but done up right it will be a cool vintage cruiser. I do a lot of mags for the old 4cyl mercs so if you need help with it let me know.

Reaction score
1964 Merc 650. They were good motors. Cool find, needs love but done up right it will be a cool vintage cruiser. I do a lot of mags for the old 4cyl mercs so if you need help with it let me know.
Hello again! Started removing small amount of dryrot on the floor directly under the original fixed back to back seats. Ground out soft wood, worst was only about two plies deep. Treated with wood hardner and filled out the voids with body filler then layed up new fabric and resin. Reproduced the driver side seat frame..and then had to put everything on hold while I sold my house in Ca. And moved to Idaho. I’m getting settled in and ready to move indoors and take a serious look at the powerplant. First thing I can plainly see is the wiring will need some serious attention before I can get into the old Merc. Then try to find out what/ why this righteous little vessel was orphaned in’99. Which brings me to my point; do I continue work with the vintage propulsion or abandon ship and search for a newer running unit that I can fit in my budget?

HST4ME

Reaction score
CDI makes a lot of electrical components for the mercs still. The magnetos I do a lot of for the merc guys in the aomci. Depends what you want to do.

No one makes a 15 inch motor except Merc which is built in China. I will pm you my # if you want to talk about getting that old Merc running. I have a few coming from different parts of the country for work that are going on older boats.

Reaction score
CDI makes a lot of electrical components for the mercs still. The magnetos I do a lot of for the merc guys in the aomci. Depends what you want to do.

No one makes a 15 inch motor except Merc which is built in China. I will pm you my # if you want to talk about getting that old Merc running. I have a few coming from different parts of the country for work that are going on older boats.

Ok, I made a puller for the lower unit ( which has a hairline fracture at the retaining ring) to see why it was so hard to shift : full of rusty 1999 lake. Drive gear frozen to the prop shaft. The impeller had disintegrated into rubber crumbs which makes me wonder about the condition of the pwr head. Next I will clean up the wiring as needed to spin it up enough to get a decent compression check. My question is what pieces are interchangeable between years, H.P. Ratings, shaft length,etc.. with the lower units? Seems like there should be quite a bit, knowing that would broaden my search and keep me from wasting resources on parts I can’t use. Thanks for any help!

HST4ME

Reaction score
Yeah..I have a pretty extensive parts collection so I can probably get you going in the right direction. There a couple places out your way and one in Washington I can get you contact info for. If you have the lower off you can shove a hose on the water tube and see if it will fire. The carbs and fuel pumps on those motors are really simple and inexpensive to rebuild.

Reaction score
Yeah..I have a pretty extensive parts collection so I can probably get you going in the right direction. There a couple places out your way and one in Washington I can get you contact info for. If you have the lower off you can shove a hose on the water tube and see if it will fire. The carbs and fuel pumps on those motors are really simple and inexpensive to rebuild.
Well bless your heart! I’ve started going on the wiring , new battery cables and most everything under the cowling back to the plug I have two or three to do this afternoon. Previous owner had run two extension cords from the ignition bypassing the harness. Sweet! I’m waiting for a repair manual so I can double check the arrangement. Upon closer inspection I see the bearing carrier is closed also busted. Not a whole lot left that’s salvageable there. Prop shaft, drive shaft H20 pump housing, gears Etc.. look to be okay. We’ve got half a foot of snow outside the garage so my activity’s are mostly confined to indoor fun. Thanks for the input I will no doubt be needing more!

HST4ME

Reaction score
Yeah...I can relate. 6 degrees here and more snow today

HST4ME

Reaction score
This popped up on SnF. Mike is a good guy.
1988 115 HP Mercury Inline 6 ADI w/ 15" mid and Bob's noseconed lower unit.

Reaction score
This popped up on SnF. Mike is a good guy.
1988 115 HP Mercury Inline 6 ADI w/ 15" mid and Bob's noseconed lower unit.
Thanks, that is a great deal. I’m, and I know it sounds crazy, afraid 115 horse is a bit much for a 15’ flattiee! Have to admit I’d love to have all those features ! Just what I want to have when all is said and done. I’m wondering if the lower unit would bolt up to what I have?

Water Romper

Reaction score
The old school out board "flattys" were the thing back in the day, I re-did this 1956 Dick Shuster "Havoc" with a 100hp Merc.
Boat ran all day long until it got choppy. Got lots of Thumbs Up putting through the channel in Havi. My old (but new then) 1984 Toyota SR5 pulled it just fine-after we got rolling. ;)
Post pics of the work on your resto- it will be fun watching it come back alive.

1614690789311.png