WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Here we go... How bad is the fuel pump problem with the Ford 6.7

XX14

Reaction score
I've been studying diesel trucks for a few years anticipating a purchase and it will be time in the Spring. I was excited when the Ford came out and even went and drove one in 2011 knowing I was going to let someone else drive it for 80 - 100k before I made my purchase. A buddy of mine bought one and he's been pretty happy with it with the exception of a turbo issue that was fixed under warranty early on. I recently asked him for some feedback and he told me with 4k left on his warranty, extended - 96k, he had a 7k repair because of a poorly designed fuel pump that sprayed metal all over. The repair included replacing all the injectors. I really wanted to buy a 2011-12 with 80-100k on it. It won't do any good but there's no intention here to start flaming all the trucks. I'm actually open to all of them. Just the facts no axe grinding please. Thanks.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Damn, so there are hidden gremlins with that power plant.......:grumble: Here's an idea, find one out of warranty blown up for CHEAP..... swap in a Cummins. Done deal:thumbup:

grumpy88

Reaction score
My friend had a 2013 f350 and he has transmission cooling issues . The dealer told him either it does not have a transmission cooler or it was to small that he should add a after market one . I was sad to hear that because I was looking to trade in my 2009 f350 for a new one .

XX14

Reaction score
I was hoping to find that my friends truck was an anomaly but it is in a few diesel forums. My plan is to buy used in the 30's with less than 100k. The new half ton diesel by Dodge would be a good choice but I want bells and whistles and I'm just not paying 50k for a truck.

XX14

Reaction score
I've narrowed my search to 3/4 ton diesels. 11-12 Ford, 08-12 Chevy/GMC, or 11-12 RAM with the HO. The Mega cab is a front runner due to back seat room and comfort. Back seat ac is also a priority living in South Texas.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I'd buy a mega cummings! I came across an ex drag racer owned 2002 loaded duramax with 78k miles that I got for a song. He changed the injectors which is a known issue and I just installed the EFI Live tuning, gages and few other small mods, but I'm extremely happy. They all have their weeknesses, but you have to figure out what your willing to deal with.

HotRod82

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents.....buying a diesel pickup 2007 and newer out of warranty is a really bad idea. Unless you are capable of performing major repairs yourself, you are setting yourself up for the possibility of some crazy repair bills. IMO, if you don't need the big towing power buy a gasser. If you need a diesel, find a rust free 7.3 Ford or 5.9 Dodge and have it refurbished. Paint, interior, new sound system with all the bells and whistles and IMO you will be miles ahead. I have a 2005 5.9 cummins (which I will probably never sell) and a 2014 F550 with the 6.7, the 6.7 runs amazing and the trans is golden but the minute it's out of warranty it's gone. Looking under the hood of the Ford is terrifying!

XX14

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice but have decided to go this way. I would really just like to know if I should rule out the Ford? Have y'all had problems with the 6.7?

Vegaskeith

Reaction score
Ford 6.7 radiator crack and leaks, turbos, tranny cooler, and the DEF exhaust system all have issues! Either buy a new one or buy the 6.2 gasser. Do you plan on pulling 15,000lbs?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Ford 6.7 radiator crack and leaks, turbos, tranny cooler, and the DEF exhaust system all have issues! Either buy a new one or buy the 6.2 gasser. Do you plan on pulling 15,000lbs?
which is funny because the 6.4 ford radiator had major issues also. and turbos as well....which was a major problem the 6.0 had.....im seeing a partern here!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Your numbers seem a little out of synch?

Granted, I haven't shopped Diesels since I got my '08 Cummins back in 2010.
$35K with 27K miles on it back then.

Traded in the '05 Cummins on it. I'm not really looking to sell the '08, but if I did I would only ask about $24K or so?
Book is about $22, but it has a whopping sound system installed. (105K miles).

100K miles on a 11-12 seems like a LOT of miles to kick down 30K plus on?
Again, I may be out of touch not being in the market, but shopping in the 100K mile range, out of warranty, you better have at least 5K in your hip pocket for something unexpected.

My .02 is find a cummins '08-'10 for under 30K with LESS than 100K miles on it.:thumbup:

XX14

Reaction score
You may be right. I've actually found an '11 King Ranch 250 in the mid-30's with 88k. The fuel pump thing scared me. Fords in general scare me because of past problems but I had hoped the 6.7 was the result of a lot of research and progress. I'm willing to pay for the right truck but I don't want to buy new.

dschifan

Reaction score
22k miles on mine only a emissions problem once with a sensor but since then running straight pipe and a no more emissions shit. Truck runs awesome and have many other people I know with these trucks with no problems. My buddy is a master diesel tech at a Ford and says rarely sees any problems besides emissions with these trucks. Remember you usually only hear about the bad though ford sells more trucks then any other maker.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
You may be right. I've actually found an '11 King Ranch 250 in the mid-30's with 88k. The fuel pump thing scared me. Fords in general scare me because of past problems but I had hoped the 6.7 was the result of a lot of research and progress. I'm willing to pay for the right truck but I don't want to buy new.

Honestly, I love my truck (04 6.0 F250). It's what I wanted for a long time and I took it off the lot new. What it all boils down to is whether you are willing to deal/pay for the issues over a vehicle you "want" or do you really need something reliable that might not be on your wish list. It's not like Diesel is cheap anymore.... you do save a little generally when considering mpg, but you pay upfront for the diesel package so what are you really saving other than time at the pumps on long trips?

XX14

Reaction score
I guess the truck is more along the lines of "want." That being said I've done a ton of research on the three trucks I'm considering. I've thoroughly weighed the gas/diesel pros and cons which is why I don't want to get into that debate. Besides the reliability factor the backseat is important because I have full size teens that will need to ride back there. I drove a 2009 Duramax with leather recently and was surprised it didn't have air vents in the back. I know the Ford and the RAM have that feature.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Only issue was a power steering seal at 5000 miles, then a dead battery at 45000. I have 51000 miles now. Love the truck, no other issues. Few door seal squeaks is all. Plus is hauls ass
I did have a factory tire separate also, at about 45000, didn't blow but bubbled

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Only issue was a power steering seal at 5000 miles, then a dead battery at 45000. I have 51000 miles now. Love the truck, no other issues. Few door seal squeaks is all. Plus is hauls ass
I did have a factory tire separate also, at about 45000, didn't blow but bubbled

You find that acceptable for a new truck?:yikes

reliable1

Reaction score
I have a 2012 and just turned 70k miles, no issues so far.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I guess the truck is more along the lines of "want." That being said I've done a ton of research on the three trucks I'm considering. I've thoroughly weighed the gas/diesel pros and cons which is why I don't want to get into that debate. Besides the reliability factor the backseat is important because I have full size teens that will need to ride back there. I drove a 2009 Duramax with leather recently and was surprised it didn't have air vents in the back. I know the Ford and the RAM have that feature.

Might be an option, my buddy's 05 with leather has them...:thumbup:

530RL

Reaction score
You're buying a truck that has 80,000 miles on it which would cost 65 to 75 thousand to buy new. You have to expect some failure. They certainly can go 200,000 miles but every component was not designed to make it 200,000 miles and you will have some failure rates.

The type of driving and towing is more important than the miles. What you are looking for is estimating wear, and miles is only one way to estimate wear. For example, a fuel pump maintains pressure so the amount of time on duty is more important than miles.

I have an 09 Duramax with 60k or so. It probably costs me 1500 to 2000 a year if you do all the "recommended" service by the manual, buy tires and put on brakes before they eat the discs. It would cost 72k or so to replace so 2 to 3 percent a year for maintenance is fairly reasonable.

So a failure here or there does not make Ford, Dodge or GM better or worse, it is just part of owning stuff that is mechanical. Buy what you want, the emission cluttered diesels are all pretty close and it will statistically be a lottery.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
The sad reality is new cars/ trucks areso complex, that they all have issues. I have afreind that spent 200k on a mb and it died on the way home.

XX14

Reaction score
Roger. Understand all the comments and I'm all about the maintenance costs. I'm replacing a 5.7 Chevy Express and it's going to last 200k. I think this truck will be with me for at least ten years and hopefully more than 200k. For the 11-13 Ford owners y'all might want to look up the fuel pump failures. I think it has something to do with the water seperator fuel pump design and it takes a certain amount of time but I think rust is the problem. Once it starts disintegrating from the inside out it starts releasing metal into the injectors.

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
I honestly think that if you plan on keeping a newer truck that long you will incur some serious costs repairing emissions based problems. I know you are set on the models and years you researched but I wouldn't expect a couple k annually like a normal diesel. You will spend a lot once emissions equipment fails. If getting a newer truck, I would say the cummins and fully delete it. The emissions equipped motors are not the diesels of yesteryear. Irrelevant I know, but id go 07 5.9 megacab fully optioned and call it a day.

575cat

Reaction score
How much more excitement do you want in your life add in a late model emission , very sensitive diesel pu and you will have it , there has to be a reason to own a diesel pu they are not grocery getters they have to be work hard , around here some tow companys & landscapers have gone back to gas on there smaller fleet trucks .

riverroyal

Reaction score

but neither was the 3 turbos on my 6.0!

The dealer had never seen this leak before, I was told this was the 1st time. My luck I think. What did suck was they installed a new O ring and adjusted the steering box. I picked up the truck on Friday night and drove straight to the lake, it was completely fucked up, too tight. Saturday I went to Bradley, they adjusted it the best they could (awesome service there) Went back to Ken Grody and demanded a COMPLETE new steering box, not a rebuild on this one. I got it.

Tire separation was on Michelin, discount tire said they had never seen it before! they pro rated the tire

no other issues, Id buy another

dezertrider

Reaction score
I have 106k miles on my 2011. I would buy another

Problem #1 I had a shaking problem with it at about 30k miles. The front end would chatter to the point that I had to slow down to get it to stop. Took it to the dealer and they told me I needed to replace the tires and I should add a stabilizer to solve the problem. I needed the tires so I did both. The problem came back when the tread on the tires was low at 70k miles. I took it back and they couldn't reproduce the problem, so I took the mechanic and manager for a ride. There was one spot on the toll road that it chattered everytime. I hit the bump faster then normal and it chattered pretty bad. The mechanic shit himself. We get back to the dealer and then they tell me its because of the service body and steering stabilizer I installed. Even though they installed the body and I showed them the notes that they recommended the stabilizer they would help me. I am over having the dealership service anything I own. I researched the problem and found I had a common problem that the Ford and Dodge trucks have. I went to 4 Wheel parts and lifted the truck 4", the new front track bar that came with the lift solved the problem. Dealers suck

Problem #2 I had a cracked cooling hose fitting on the turbo at 103k miles, Cost me about $300 to have my mechanic fix it

Problem #3 I just had to replace both batteries today

I would buy another in a heart beat. I run mine pretty had and it weighs any where from 10,500#s to 13,000#s every day. I plan on running it to 250k Dealer Socket move (22).jpg miles

JD D05

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with any of the trucks these days. Yes the Ford up until 14 have a crappy charger, but other than that they are pretty darn stout.

I still have a stock charger on my truck. Will be doing this kit as soon as I can...https://www.facebook.com/HSM0T0RSP0RTS

This was all done on a stock motor and trans, truck is still running today with no issues.

[video=youtube;cHwSGignzgY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHwSGignzgY[/video]

530RL

Reaction score
2017 Super Duty is rumored to have an all aluminum cab and box like the 2015 F150's. Could save 700 - 1000 pounds.

2015 super duty diesel is up to 440hp and 860 foot pounds of torque. Stuff that same engine in something that has lost that much weight and it could get me to switch from my current 4th Duramax GMC.

JD D05

Reaction score
2017 Super Duty is rumored to have an all aluminum cab and box like the 2015 F150's. Could save 700 - 1000 pounds.

2015 super duty diesel is up to 440hp and 860 foot pounds of torque. Stuff that same engine in something that has lost that much weight and it could get me to switch from my current 4th Duramax GMC.

That is the case...I don't know what to think about it, not going to get rid of my truck for it.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

I just towed with my 2015 F-350 for the first time this weekend, about 15,000 lbs.

It's a beast! I can't imagine needing more power and torque. Absolutely effortless on any grade. I was impressed.

Fuel mileage was terrible in the hills... But I didn't buy it for that. Not sure how fuel mileage and 440/860 can be said in the same sentence lol

XX14

Reaction score
I just drove a 2012 2500 Mega Cab. That's a lot of truck! I think that may be the solution due to leg room and comfort with the teenagers. I was a bit surprised at the suspension "floaty" feeling. Besides that it felt very stout. I honestly liked the feel of the suspension on the 2009 Duramax better though. I had the kids sit in the 2011 350 King Ranch and it felt significantly smaller than the Ram. How much would need to be deleted from a 2012 RAM? It was the last year without the DEF.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I've been studying diesel trucks for a few years anticipating a purchase and it will be time in the Spring. I was excited when the Ford came out and even went and drove one in 2011 knowing I was going to let someone else drive it for 80 - 100k before I made my purchase. A buddy of mine bought one and he's been pretty happy with it with the exception of a turbo issue that was fixed under warranty early on. I recently asked him for some feedback and he told me with 4k left on his warranty, extended - 96k, he had a 7k repair because of a poorly designed fuel pump that sprayed metal all over. The repair included replacing all the injectors. I really wanted to buy a 2011-12 with 80-100k on it. It won't do any good but there's no intention here to start flaming all the trucks. I'm actually open to all of them. Just the facts no axe grinding please. Thanks.

2011 F250 for me with 125K miles on it. Haven't had any turbo or fuel pump problems to this point.

I did have to replace my DEF reservoir and my radiator. Ford covered most of the radiator cost but not the DEF reservoir.

I have 106k miles on my 2011. I would buy another

Problem #1 I had a shaking problem with it at about 30k miles. The front end would chatter to the point that I had to slow down to get it to stop. Took it to the dealer and they told me I needed to replace the tires and I should add a stabilizer to solve the problem. I needed the tires so I did both. The problem came back when the tread on the tires was low at 70k miles. I took it back and they couldn't reproduce the problem, so I took the mechanic and manager for a ride. There was one spot on the toll road that it chattered everytime. I hit the bump faster then normal and it chattered pretty bad. The mechanic shit himself. We get back to the dealer and then they tell me its because of the service body and steering stabilizer I installed. Even though they installed the body and I showed them the notes that they recommended the stabilizer they would help me. I am over having the dealership service anything I own. I researched the problem and found I had a common problem that the Ford and Dodge trucks have. I went to 4 Wheel parts and lifted the truck 4", the new front track bar that came with the lift solved the problem. Dealers suck

Problem #2 I had a cracked cooling hose fitting on the turbo at 103k miles, Cost me about $300 to have my mechanic fix it

Problem #3 I just had to replace both batteries today

I would buy another in a heart beat. I run mine pretty had and it weighs any where from 10,500#s to 13,000#s every day. I plan on running it to 250k View attachment 371058 miles

I had the same shaking problem and they never could fix it right. It was a death wabble for sure. Mine is lifted 4" with oversized tires. Finally got it fixed at an independent mechanic shop. That shit was scary when it would happen and had to slow down to about 35MPH for it to stop....this happened three times and every time it was on a major, congested freeway! YIKES! Thank goodness it happened on straightaways and not in a cornering situation.

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
I just drove a 2012 2500 Mega Cab. That's a lot of truck! I think that may be the solution due to leg room and comfort with the teenagers. I was a bit surprised at the suspension "floaty" feeling. Besides that it felt very stout. I honestly liked the feel of the suspension on the 2009 Duramax better though. I had the kids sit in the 2011 350 King Ranch and it felt significantly smaller than the Ram. How much would need to be deleted from a 2012 RAM? It was the last year without the DEF.

I would do the DPF and EGR for sure. Also a tuner, either a h&s mm or bm to remove codes and check engine light.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I would do the DPF and EGR for sure. Also a tuner, either a h&s mm or bm to remove codes and check engine light.
Thats big time illegal under federal law... now I don't care, but ait can really f you up in a traffic stop.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
that is true, but my brother got nailed for doing it to a car and ended up with a federal felony. granted he was able to make a deal to make the criminal charges go away but $25,000 later....

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
Thats big time illegal under federal law... now I don't care, but ait can really f you up in a traffic stop.

It definitely can, I totally agree. But it's pretty rare they will actually do something about it. You could always do the ole I bought it this way and probably just get a fix it ticket and put it back on. I'm sure you could get busted, I just think it's pretty rare. I've rolled around no cats, no muffler, with some smoke for years and never even been pulled over. If you drive like a dick it's probably more likely to happen to you

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Thats alot of work, its not like it use to be where you pull a vacuum line and rebolt up the cats

When I was younger and dumber I had a twin turbo mustang, every 2 years I had to pull the entire drive train, did it twice before I learned my lesson.

XX14

Reaction score
I don't think it would be an issue in Texas. [emoji2]

dschifan

Reaction score
DoingE=Yellowboat;1881336]that is true, but my brother got nailed for doing it to a car and ended up with and federal felony. granted he was able to make a deal to make the criminal charges go away but $25,000 later....[/QUOTE]

Doing what to a car? Never heard of anyone getting a criminal charge for cutting off a cat and or muffler and playing dumb that u were not supposed to do that . i have deleted all of my diesels i did not know u could not do that lol

XX14

Reaction score
What could I expect mileage and maintenance wise with a stone stock 2012 6.7 RAM.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
DoingE=Yellowboat;1881336]that is true, but my brother got nailed for doing it to a car and ended up with and federal felony. granted he was able to make a deal to make the criminal charges go away but $25,000 later....

Doing what to a car? Never heard of anyone getting a criminal charge for cutting off a cat and or muffler and playing dumb that u were not supposed to do that . i have deleted all of my diesels i did not know u could not do that lol[/QUOTE]

removing a federally mandated item from a car is a federal crime, just very, very rarly enforced, but when they do it hurts like a sob. in my brothers case he was speeding, got pulled over, was too low to the ground, then got asked to pop his hood. is the standard cop going to know? no, ask a diesel shop to do the work, see what they say...

lf2

Reaction score
What could I expect mileage and maintenance wise with a stone stock 2012 6.7 RAM.

On my '14 im getting 15-16 around town 19-20 highway. Havent towed far with it yet so not sure what it is towing my toyhauler. Also only have had it 5 1/2 months so cant help you with maintenance

My dad has an 08 6.7 also and has had no problems with it, i think check engine light came on once and it was a sensor or something. His mpg is a little better being a 2wd vs mine is 4x4