WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Here We Go!

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
There's a good breakfast spot called Goofy's next to the Hilton Waikiki. 👍👍

Backlash

Reaction score
We spent the afternoon by the pool, baking in the sun for a bit. It doesn't take long to feel the burn!

PXL_20220627_211423699.jpg

After a short break, we hit the pavement in search of a Mai Tai!

Backlash

Reaction score
My wife had a certain one in mind, and after a short trek, we stumbled into it down by the beach.

PXL_20220628_031517150.jpg

They loaded us up for a late afternoon cruise to enjoy the sunset and a few drinks. Dave and his crew put together a nice ride and we really enjoyed ourselves. Caution, his drinks are smooth and hit you a little later on. My wife had her fill to say the least! 🤣

PXL_20220628_033345483~2.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
PXL_20220628_050549882~2.jpg

PXL_20220628_052330319.jpg

And just like that, we pulled back up on the beach and unloaded everyone off the boat. My beautiful wife had several drinks, and I was worried she wasn't going to make it off under her own power. We'll, those drunk club days from her youth must have helped out, because she managed to do it, and even stayed dry! I thought for sure she was going to slip and eat it! Hahaha! She's a champ! 😘

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
We spent the afternoon by the pool, baking in the sun for a bit. It doesn't take long to feel the burn!

View attachment 1130686

After a short break, we hit the pavement in search of a Mai Tai!

We do a maitai crawl on the beach. We start at the HHV and go to each hotel walking the beach between them ending up at the Moana. You can do the same and let me know which ones you find the best. 👍

Backlash

Reaction score
We do a maitai crawl on the beach. We start at the HHV and go to each hotel walking the beach between them ending up at the Moana. You can do the same and let me know which ones you find the best. 👍
I think the Mrs. is good on Mai Tai's for a little while. LMAO! 🤣

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Great pictures. The cloud formation in the one of Waikiki Beach looks cool. Thanks for posting!!!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I'm no Wheeler by any means, but they aren't bad considering I'm using a cell phone. 🤓
your cell phone costs more than my camera and lens did. I think I'll be switching to apple.

Backlash

Reaction score
your cell phone costs more than my camera and lens did. I think I'll be switching to apple.
It's a new Google Pixel 6+. So far I'm pretty happy with the camera and it's capabilities. I was leary about going away from a Samsung, but so far so good!!

Backlash

Reaction score
We visited Pearl Harbor and it was a pretty incredible experience. I have never been and am glad we went. The aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln pulled into Pearl Harbor earlier in the morning and can be seen in the picture below.

PXL_20220628_225519566.jpg

There were jets flying overhead all morning doing maneuvers. It added to the experience and reminded visitors that this is an active military region.

PXL_20220628_224448366.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Standing on the memorial over the USS Arizona was moving. It has a different meaning for everyone, and people react and respond to it differently. I regretfully never served in the military, but had numerous family members who did. Standing overhead, looking down into the water and at the deck of the ship is a memory I'll always have. I saw two drops of oil rise up to the surface while I was standing there. Once the oil surfaced, you could smell that familiar odor. It only added to the overall experience.

I don't have a lot of information about one of the names on the wall in the memorial, but there is a familiar name. My son's great Grandfather (Ex wife's Grandfather), served in the Navy in Pearl, and was in Hawaii when the attack occurred. He later transfered to Long Beach and retired as a Colonel. He passed away in either 2013 or 2016. His last name was fairly common here in Hawaii, so I'll have to do a little research to see if the name on the memorial is a distant relative. Either way, the experience is not to be missed. If you make a trip to Hawaii, please don't miss a tour of Pearl Harbor and the memorial.

Backlash

Reaction score
Good afternoon! Our travels took us out and about in Honolulu when we stumbled into a homeless man picking a fight with a giant plumeria tree. He was screaming and yelling, and swinging punches and throwing kicks at the branches of the tree. He drew a decent sized crowd as people stood around in disbelief. Finally, a local man stormed up and shoved the homeless guy away from the tree. The local "Brah" started screaming at the homeless man, who then acted like he wanted to fight back! We'll, the local pulled his shirt off and started chasing after the homeless man. He was seriously pissed and was trying his best to catch him! They ran out into traffic multiple times, and ended up knocking over innocent bystanders at a local restaurant. He finally caught the homeless man and basically held him down until the cops rolled up. They arrived, cuffed the homeless dude up and sat him down on the sidewalk. No blows were actually thrown, but I would have put all my money on the local! He was beyond pissed off! Hahahaha!! We left before the end of this mess, but it was entertaining to watch. 🤣

Local Hawaiian - 1
Homeless Man - 0

PXL_20220629_055718764.jpg

PXL_20220629_055918021.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
The next morning, we got up and headed down to Waikiki. We had plans for later in the afternoon, so we spent the day just relaxing. One of the kids wanted to go try out his snorkel set, so he jumped in the water and played around for a bit. My wife and I waded in the shallow pools and enjoyed the warm water. She saw a little crab and picked it up.....only to realize it was dead. Hahaha! I've never seen an Asian person throw seafood away as fast as she did! 🤣 I had to go pick it up and have her hold it, just to take the picture! Hahaha!!

PXL_20220629_200400783~2.jpg

PXL_20220629_213520484.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Our son floated over to one of the openings in the seawall, and played around in this deep pool with a few other kids. They seemed to enjoy themselves. If you haven't been to Waikiki, they have two large areas along the beach that are walled off from the ocean. They have these large openings in the concrete seawall that allows water flow into these two "Lagoons." If you have small children, this would be an enjoyable and safe place for them to play at the beach.

PXL_20220629_200327940.jpg

PXL_20220629_212302371.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
I took off with our youngest and decided to go out and play in the waves. He was open to the idea, but a little apprehensive at the same time. We'll, we worked our way out into the water only to realize the entire beach was rocky. We didn't find a speck of sand anywhere along this stretch of beach. So after a valiant effort, we headed back up to the beach and off in search of a beach with a sandy bottom. We walked back towards the area where my wife was sitting, but I couldn't find her. I looked around for a bit, only to find her floating in a raft in the middle of the lagoon! Hahaha! So I waded out to let her know where we were going.

"How do you like my new raft?"
"Where did that come from?"
"Some guy gave it to me. He whistled at me and called me over, then just gave it to me."

I must have had a funny look on my face because she followed it up with a little more information.....

"This guy and his wife were sitting down the beach from me. He whistled and got my attention, so I walked over to see what he wanted. He said him and his wife were leaving later that day, and asked if I wanted it. So of course I said yes!" Hahaha!

PXL_20220629_212135996~2.jpg

She said we would keep it while we were here, enjoy it, then pass it on to the next family when we decided to leave. 👍

Her little boy and I spent the next hour and a half swimming in the waves in front of the Surfrider Hotel. There were a few rocks here and there, but nothing like the cheese grater we experienced earlier in the morning! He had fun and when he finally had enough, we headed back to the beach.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Good memories on those beaches when my kids were very young. Spent a bit of time at the Circle Hotel as the managers were close family friends and we were caring for an older uncle that had lived in Waikiki for many years. Keep up with the pics,👍

Backlash

Reaction score
OK, so here is a little bit of a backstory in the middle of our vacation.

I was previously married to a woman who's father was 50% Hawaiian and her mother was 100% Italian. So, my ex-wife was essentially 25% Hawaiian. Her Hawaiian ancestry can be traced back to when the first Hawaiian married a Missionary sometime in the late 1700's or early 1800's. Their family lived in Hawaii for years, and ultimately relocated to Huntington Beach in the 1960's. My ex spent time studying in Hawaii and in Huntington Beach, and was active in the Hawaiian culture. Her family was deeply involved in the Hawaiian community in Hawaii and in Orange County. She and I met in the 1990's and we're married for almost 20 years. Life happens, and here we are.

So with this little history lesson "Sidetrack," it's safe to say, I have a little bit of knowledge of the Hawaiian culture.

With that information, the Paradise Cove luau was "OK." Yes it was "Neat" and the food served was "OK," but I probably wouldn't go again. We had a nice time and the dinner and show were entertaining, but that's about it.

For those who haven't been, I would recommend you go as it's a nice way to spend an evening. You get to learn some things you may not know, and see some things not frequently seen on the mainland. But the "Touristy" feeling at Paradise Cove is overwhelming and the goods offered for sale are all made in the Philippines or in China. That part was extremely disappointing. The hula dancing was a mixture of dances from all over Polynesia, not just hula dancing specific to Hawaii.

Back to the lecture at hand.....

PXL_20220630_042137478.jpg

PXL_20220630_042326329.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Here is the presentation of the Kahlua pig that was roasted for dinner.

PXL_20220630_042404170.jpg

With almost 700 guests, this single 80 pound pig wasn't going to feed us all. This was simply symbolic of how the meals were prepared many moons ago. 😉

How many quests?? These tables were full when it was time to eat.

PXL_20220630_052203003.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
With all that being said, this locale is absolutely stunning and one of the most picturesque places I've ever been. I was thrilled to be there enjoying the evening with my wife. It is a romantic and beautiful setting, so if for no other reason than those, you should go.

PXL_20220630_050820580.jpg

PXL_20220630_053957130.jpg

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Paradise Cove does one of the better luau’s. Ben a few times to give kids fun experience but only recommend VIP tickets. Premium seating at stage is nice but tables come with a server. Tell them what you want and they bring it to you. Never stand in line with the masses.

Backlash

Reaction score
Paradise Cove does one of the better luau’s. Ben a few times to give kids fun experience but only recommend VIP tickets. Premium seating at stage is nice but tables come with a server. Tell them what you want and they bring it to you. Never stand in line with the masses.
This is my first trip to Hawaii, and I'm happy I went to see a luau. But to be honest, I probably won't go to another one when we return. I've had much better food from taco stands and food trucks in East L.A. Granted, the view doesn't compare, but the food itself is FAR better in comparison. 🤷

TCHB

Reaction score
Go to Sandys Beach for a great beach and great body surfing.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Standing on the memorial over the USS Arizona was moving. It has a different meaning for everyone, and people react and respond to it differently. I regretfully never served in the military, but had numerous family members who did. Standing overhead, looking down into the water and at the deck of the ship is a memory I'll always have. I saw two drops of oil rise up to the surface while I was standing there. Once the oil surfaced, you could smell that familiar odor. It only added to the overall experience.

I don't have a lot of information about one of the names on the wall in the memorial, but there is a familiar name. My son's great Grandfather (Ex wife's Grandfather), served in the Navy in Pearl, and was in Hawaii when the attack occurred. He later transfered to Long Beach and retired as a Colonel. He passed away in either 2013 or 2016. His last name was fairly common here in Hawaii, so I'll have to do a little research to see if the name on the memorial is a distant relative. Either way, the experience is not to be missed. If you make a trip to Hawaii, please don't miss a tour of Pearl Harbor and the memorial.
BL, we visited the Arizona Memorial in 2004 and as the guide was explaining to us about the oil drop dispersion that rise were referred as "The tears of the Soldiers" my 17 year old daughter snapped this photograph. We didn't see the photo until we returned to the states. She captured the moment...

FB_IMG_1575763451023.jpg

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
BL, we visited the Arizona Memorial in 2004 and as the guide was explaining to us about the oil drop dispersion that rise were referred to as "The tears of the Soldiers" my 17 year old daughter snapped this photograph. We didn't see the phot until we returned to the states. She captured the moment...

View attachment 1132243
What an awesome picture!!!! Thank you so much for sharing that SCD!

TCHB

Reaction score
Sandys. I would always kale time for a wave or two at Sandys.
C4602C15-ECBA-4641-824E-F81BBCF81DF5.jpeg

Backlash

Reaction score
We headed out east towards Koko Head and stopped off at the Halona Blowhole. This was just east of Hanauma Bay.

PXL_20220630_190048489.jpg

In the above picture behind my wife, there is a small cove with a tiny sand beach. Apparently this cove was one of the many film locations for Pirates of the Caribbean. The water along the coast was absolutely stunning! It's unreal how clean and clear it is!

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
We headed out east towards Koko Head and stopped off at the Halona Blowhole. This was just east of Hanauma Bay.

View attachment 1132333

In the above picture behind my wife, there is a small cove with a tiny sand beach. Apparently this cove was one of the many film locations for Pirates of the Caribbean. The water along the coast was absolutely stunning! It's unreal how clean and clear it is!
We called that cove Cockroach gulch Growing up. Great place if the water is not ruff.