WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Here's how to make things snowball: Wells Fargo closing all personal lines of credit

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Maybe all you doomsayers are on to something? :confused:

Wells Fargo has begun informing customers that it will no longer be offering personal credit lines, with all existing lines being shut down in the coming weeks.

In a six-page letter to customers obtained by CNBC, Wells Fargo said that it had “recently reviewed its product offerings and decided to discontinue offering new Personal and Portfolio line of credit accounts and close all existing accounts,” instead setting its focus on credit cards and personal loans.

The revolving credit lines had been a popular consumer lending product, allowing customers to consolidate higher-interest credit card debt, avoid overdraft fees on checking accounts, as well as other actions.

The credit lines usually allowed customers to borrow anywhere from $3,000 to $100,000, according to CNBC.

In a FAQ portion of the letter, the bank explained that the account closures “may have an impact on your credit score,” adding that they could not be reviewed or reversed.

“We apologize for the inconvenience this Line of Credit closure will cause,” the bank said, according to CNBC. “The account closure is final.”

In a statement sent to CNBC after its initial report was published, a Wells Fargo spokesman said, “We realize change can be inconvenient, especially when customer credit may be impacted,” adding that the bank was “committed to helping each customer find a credit solution that fits their needs.”

According to the news outlet, Wells Fargo said customers will be given a notice 60 days before their account is shut down, with remaining balances requiring minimum payments at a fixed rate.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Perhaps it just isn't profitable. They don't have a stellar customer service record. LOL

The saga of Wells Fargo:
A partial list financial scandals:

2010 August: Fined $203M for unfair & deceptive practices in overdraft fee lawsuit
2011 June: Fined $85 million for falsifying mortgage loan applications
2012 July: Fined $175M: race discrimination against black & Latino borrowers
2013 October: Settles mortgage bond claims for $335M with government
2014 September: Fined $5M for brokers insider trading
2014 October: Fined $5 million for discrimination against maternity clients
2014 December: fined $1.5 million for anti money laundering failures to comply
2015 July: Refund $30 million in mutual fund overcharges
2015 November: Fined $81.6 million for violating federal bankruptcy rules
2016 August: Fined $3.6M for cheating student loan borrowers
2016 September: Fined $185 Million for Opening Unauthorized Accounts
2016 September: Fined for improperly repossessing Military service members’ cars
2017 March: More Unauthorized accounts
2017 August: Lawsuit over overcharging small business retailers
2018 February: Investigated for discrimination against black & Latino borrowers
2018 April: $1 billion settlement for mortgage locks and auto-loan issues
2018 May: Fined $14 million: Altering business information without client knowledge
2018 May: Paid $480 million to settle securities-fraud lawsuit
2018 June: SEC fine for leading investors astray
2018 July: Refunds over unauthorized add-ons like pet insurance & legal services
2018 August: Paid $2.1 billion for its role in housing bubble
2018 August: Hundreds of houses foreclosed on due to computer glitch
2019 March: Fined $125M by SEC for fee-disclosure practices (with other LLCs
2020 February Fined $3 billion for fake accounts scandal
2020 February Fined $35 million- recommending risky investments to snr citizens & retirees

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
I have a family member who works for them , none retail management position. They are also working on a project involving Negative Interest Rate accounts. I heard this at our July 4th family get together. Oh yea its getting real...... And they have the balls to ask why we withdraw large amounts of cash from time to time.

c_land

Reaction score
In 2018, the Federal Reserve imposed an asset cap on the bank to limit its ability to grow its balance sheet until it addressed the improper accounts and practices.

Sounds like they are just trying to stay within the federally imposed limits.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
It’s the next wave of closures. Try to find a BofA you can walk into, banks will be the next to become all web based, as the stream of cash continues to be reeled in as well. They want all electronic backing for the ultimate in control, and with that goes the need for in person banking. This will hurt a lot of Americans, hell I’ve had an open line of credit through WF for about 15 years now. It’s been great for random sporadic purchases but won’t change our lives, but still seems like a bold move by WF.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I just received notice from 2 separate credit cards, that they will be closing my account due to "inactivity", and that I must make a purchase by August to keep them open. These are credit cards I have held for 15-20 years, and paid off in-full multiple times. I currently hold zero balance with them, and FICO is great.

The last time I received notice with intent to limit or close credit accounts without reason was 2008.........

HMMMMMMMM

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure Wells Fargo doesn’t know how to make good decisions. Integrity and ethical certainty isn’t in their Corporate Values. I’ve danced with the devil since 1994.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Learn it...know it.
D9379684-2AD1-4341-A2CD-6FD9717A3619.jpeg

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I just received notice from 2 separate credit cards, that they will be closing my account due to "inactivity", and that I must make a purchase by August to keep them open. These are credit cards I have held for 15-20 years, and paid off in-full multiple times. I currently hold zero balance with them, and FICO is great.

The last time I received notice with intent to limit or close credit accounts without reason was 2008.........

HMMMMMMMM
I had that recently too....outta nowhere. 5 accounts shutdown. Only 2 had balances...not big. Good FICO.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We were notified of that but at the same time they bumped my business line to north of 6 figures do is a wash. The personal lines always had crap for interest rates and those were reported on your credit report while the business lines do not.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score

HMMMMMMMM
Is that a ding on your credit? They closed my sears master card. Never used it in last 8 years. They will probably close my Khols card. Only open that cuz wife got a lot of shit cheap on a first purchase. That store is too expensive anyway

The Prisoner

Reaction score
It’s the next wave of closures. Try to find a BofA you can walk into, banks will be the next to become all web based, as the stream of cash continues to be reeled in as well. They want all electronic backing for the ultimate in control, and with that goes the need for in person banking. This will hurt a lot of Americans, hell I’ve had an open line of credit through WF for about 15 years now. It’s been great for random sporadic purchases but won’t change our lives, but still seems like a bold move by WF.
B of A blows. We have our business account there. They closed the Kingman branch. Their lines sucked when they were open. Now at the mercy of an ATM that may not work. Or spits out checks for deposit. I am switching but had to wait for my bank to change ownership. These bank all get bought up every other year. My personal account was Compass. Now PNC.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Is that a ding on your credit? They closed my sears master card. Never used it in last 8 years. They will probably close my Khols card. Only open that cuz wife got a lot of shit cheap on a first purchase. That store is too expensive anyway
Anytime you close accounts and lower your credit limit, it can ding your FICO. I've always heard rule of thumb is to never close cards. I'm gonna play ball and use the card / pay it off just to keep it active and open.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Yup. I encountered the same on a former HELOC. it was a small line on a property that had about a 25% LTV.

Red flags are flappin in the wind

Yeah things are starting to feel a little familiar.

I was in the middle of building a block wall in 2008 when they shut off mine/everyone's HELOC out of the blue. Luckily i had the cash but the crash seemed to happen days later.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
The lights are on! The beginning to the end of the Covid party!

Last edited:

Cobalt232

Reaction score
We had Union Bank close our business line just before the last recession. Uh oh.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Anytime you close accounts and lower your credit limit, it can ding your FICO. I've always heard rule of thumb is to never close cards. I'm gonna play ball and use the card / pay it off just to keep it active and open.
I guess it’s semantics. I know if you close a card that’s not good. But if they close it for inactivity is it different? My score is high 700’s so I am not too worried. All I need is my Amazon and home depot and Lowes card. Sears, Kmart and my JC Penney cards I shredded them. And my Dillards Amex got the shredder too.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I can imagine that fees and interest rates are higher on CC's rather than lines of credit. From a business standpoint why would you keep offering a lower margin product?

The blurb didn't say anything about HELOCs or the like.

We'll see I guess.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I guess it’s semantics. I know if you close a card that’s not good. But if they close it for inactivity is it different? My score is high 700’s so I am not too worried. All I need is my Amazon and home depot and Lowes card. Sears, Kmart and my JC Penney cards I shredded them. And my Dillards Amex got the shredder too.

I gotta be honest...I cringe reading that you have all those retail cards.
One should never confuse Home Depot (or any other store) for ones bank.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
I gotta be honest...I cringe reading that you have all those retail cards.
One should never confuse Home Depot (or any other store) for ones bank.
Basically only used home depot for a bigger purchase. Like I did blown insulation. $800. No interest for 18 months.Might as well use their money. Did the same with a new dryer 3 years ago. The insulation is the only balance. I basically use only 1 credit card. For hotels and the like the Costco one for points. Everything else is debit card. pay cash and be done with it.

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Yuuuupp, it does. Granted I am only going by Credit Karma.....but after they closed my 5 accounts, my score dropped liked 60 or 70 points!!! I was fucking pissed. I just spent the last couple years dialing that shit in. It almost happened right before I did a refi.....Im sure that would have had an impact. Never had a late payment in any of the accounts....had used all of them for decent purchases and paid off. Some a couple of times. Never received one notice for inactivity. Just one day bam....closed. Weird though, they still show active kinda and my credit limits.

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Basically only used home depot for a bigger purchase. Like I did blown insulation. $800. No interest for 18 months.Might as well use their money. Did the same with a new dryer 3 years ago. The insulation is the only balance. I basically use only 1 credit card. For hotels and the like the Costco one for points. Everything else is debit card. pay cash and be done with it.
Yup...thats how I used mine too... always paid mine off by the promo for same as cash.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
That’s all well and good, but know that 4th and 5th largest credit security breaches in history were Sears and home depot in order.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Target had a bad one too.

I got rid of all our retail cards maybe 10 years ago?
I had a Home Depot one as well and used it for riding lawnmowers ever 3 years or so! Lol
Deb was hell on mowers!
That one and a Kohl's card were ones she still had when she died.
The kohls I was able to cancel but home depot wouldn’t cancel it, they said just let it expire through non-use.
It was strictly in her name so I didn’t argue with them.
She loved those damned retail cards. I made her get rid of every one of them that I could. We always had nearly unlimited bank cards and I finally got her to use the bank cards for points and streamlining the monthly Bill paying (my chore).
Retail cards can be advantageous if making a single purchase at point of application, but always know that when a product is free, it is you that is the product.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
I got rid of all our retail cards maybe 10 years ago?
I had a Home Depot one as well and used it for riding lawnmowers ever 3 years or so! Lol
Deb was hell on mowers!
That one and a Kohl's card were ones she still had when she died.
The kohls I was able to cancel but home depot wouldn’t cancel it, they said just let it expire through non-use.
It was strictly in her name so I didn’t argue with them.
She loved those damned retail cards. I made her get rid of every one of them that I could. We always had nearly unlimited bank cards and I finally got her to use the bank cards for points and streamlining the monthly Bill paying (my chore).
Retail cards can be advantageous if making a single purchase at point of application, but always know that when a product is free, it is you that is the product.
yes. You can get nuts with them. My Lowes card I never use. shouldn’t have even opened it. My only retail cards in use is HD and Amazon which maybe I use 40 bucks a month if that. The Costco one is for incidentals like I stated before for the Points.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I have one card, Amex Platinum, everything goes on it, everything personal, gas, food groceries, boat repairs, etc., runs $10,000 a month or so and the business pays it off every month so no interest. Simple and my bookkeeper loves it cause she doesn’t have to ask me what all of the little charges are for each month. If I want to buy a boat to flip the business line buys it, pay a few hundred in interest for a few months, sell, and the pay that off and keep the difference.

traquer

Reaction score
If I want to buy a boat to flip the business line buys it, pay a few hundred in interest for a few months, sell, and the pay that off and keep the difference.
Huh that's interesting. Since it's a flip it's a business transaction I guess even if your business has little or nothing to do with boating like mine? Gonna ask my CPA something along these lines now that you got me thinking lol

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Anytime you use your credit, you reduce your amount of available credit. They don't like to see greater than 20% usage, anything above that begins to ding your FICO. So, keeping more available credit helps as a "buffer" if you use your cards at all. I believe having open cards that report "positive" history every month (no lates....) adds to your credit history and ultimately boosts your FICO as well. You can take your cards out of the wallet, but don't close them....

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Wells is closing ours. We opened it originally to pay for our wedding and have kept it open but zero balance for over a decade. We have no debt outside the house these days and all of our credit cards are threatening to close now too. Gotta keep some available credit just in case.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Wells is closing ours. We opened it originally to pay for our wedding and have kept it open but zero balance for over a decade. We have no debt outside the house these days and all of our credit cards are threatening to close now too. Gotta keep some available credit just in case.
How long have your credit cards been "threatening" to close, and when did it start? This is interesting stuff to hear others reporting.

dribble

Reaction score
I just got a letter from WF saying they raised the limit on my Visa from 13K to 19K

4Waters

Reaction score
Yes it is...a different set of young dumbasses(like I was) are going to get kicked in the balls. Some my age are going to do it again. My ass is watching from the stands. Some people will lose, others will make out pretty well. I'll just be happy to be stable this time.
The last time I lost my job right after a 10k dollar check cleared for a part time paramedic school, since I already paid and now had time for my studies I chose not to get a job, several months later everything tanked and I was standing there with nothing. This time I have a solid government job and will most likely have my promotion in the next month.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The last time I lost my job right after a 10k dollar check cleared for a part time paramedic school, since I already paid and now had time for my studies I chose not to get a job, several months later everything tanked and I was standing there with nothing. This time I have a solid government job and will most likely have my promotion in the next month.
Oddly, last time I lost a good government job...6 years into it. That and contracting. All my wheels fell off in about a 6 month span. About 6 months after losing the "steady" job, they called me back. Budget was fixed and wanted to offer me my job back. I politely declined, I had moved out here already.
All things happen for a reason;)

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
How long have your credit cards been "threatening" to close, and when did it start? This is interesting stuff to hear others reporting.

Just recently. On the credit card front. No late payments on anything excellent credit. We just don't use our cards for anything outside of the occasional big purchase and we pay it off right away so they aren't making money off of us.

Kinda bummed about the line of credit with wells going away. We had a nice limit and the rate wasn't stupid.

bocco

Reaction score
We have HELOC with Wells. Haven't heard anything yet.