WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Here's the Beef.

wash11

Reaction score
I was able to buy 4 more steers just like RD's last night. Same build, same lineage, same ages.

Whole and half purchases move to the front of the line. Since each quarter is different Amy and I will try to split a whole as evenly as possible to make a quarter. First to order gets the choice on tri-tips and tenderloins in their quarter.

The cuts we'll be doing are the standard butcher cuts:
Brisket
Chuck Roast
Chuck Steak
Boneless Chuck Roast
Short Ribs
Rib Eye Steak
T-Bone
Porterhouse
Top Sirloin
Tri-Tip
Tip Roast
Round Steak
London Broil
Flank Steak
Skirt Steak
Rump Roast
Shanks
And of course, ground beef.

If you buy a whole and want a custom job, no problem- price is the same.

I'll be setting up a paypal account for $100 deposits, or cash is fine. Mid to third week in February is the tentative date for it to hit Havasu.

I am available pretty often if anyone wants to meet at the ranch (weather permitting) and meet their steer. It's good fun for the kids and a learning experience to see where their food comes from.

I know I'm forgetting something. I have to be. I'm on brain fry right now. Hit me with questions or pm if interested in ordering.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
As far as the splitting goes, we just have to make sure that everyone gets some of the prime steaks (ribeye, skirt stakes etc...) because no one wants to just end up with a bunch of ground beef. This is especially important for us that will be traveling from California or other distances to come to Havasu to find out that the Havasu locals took all the prime meat and we're left with the rest. :D:thumbsup

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
How much for an order of ribs?

[video=youtube;xUrpRenjEpo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUrpRenjEpo[/video]

wash11

Reaction score
Here is Dave and Stacey's big black Dick. We moved him in the corral with weaning calves. To reduce stress they are given free access to the best feeds (which is what Dick is on now). Their moms are right outside the corral so they can see, smell and hear ol' mom and rub noses of course. While not necessary, it's just one of many steps to give these guys and gals the best life possible. The corral is pretty close to the house and the racket they make when being separated from the tit for the first time can make for some long nights. Dick and a couple other steers are in there showing them how to make it through a day without the boobies.
IMG_6520.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

Last edited:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
This is a screaming deal, people. Wash moves in bigger numbers than I do, there is no way I could do this, cut and wrapped and delivered. No way. He isn't making much, if any $ on this. He is counting on you becoming a customer, perhaps.
This is called a sale, the kind you do not want to miss, because it isn't likely to happen again.
I buy the very best hormone free antibiotic free grain available out here, and buy it by the ton for less than wholesale, through a distributor friend.
I know the prices, and I know what it takes to finish a steer properly, and you are getting the family deal, pure and simple. I was waiting for the problem with quarters and the cuts to come up, he just brought you a solution for that problem, that will, again, costs him money. Growing the steer out larger and selling it cuts his costs.
I know the work.
All of the above is fact.
The rest is opinion.
Go buy a freezer. If you have kids at home the freezer will give you the room to take advantage of sales to stock up on other stuff to feed the urchins.
If you have adult kids living on their own get with them and do a family deal.
You are going to spoil these folks, Wash.
In a good way, but spoil none the less.

wash11

Reaction score
As far as the splitting goes, we just have to make sure that everyone gets some of the prime steaks (ribeye, skirt stakes etc...) because no one wants to just end up with a bunch of ground beef. This is especially important for us that will be traveling from California or other distances to come to Havasu to find out that the Havasu locals took all the prime meat and we're left with the rest. :D:thumbsup

I believe you are part owner of the big black Dick so you'll be working it out with RD. These will only process one at a time, labeled and boxed before another is brought into the cut room. If two or four people go in together you will get your steers info, tag number etc. and you'll know who you have partnered with. I'll even send photos as if you just sponsored a child in Ethiopia:D

This is the last business I'm looking to be in and I'm young enough to still be selling beef to your kids some day. That being said, you can guess how serious I am about everyone being happy.

Dylan

Reaction score
I'm in for a 1/4. I'm not in a huge rush to get it so no pressure on that. What's the PayPal address?

After watching the Temecula Cowpool flop, I would recommend you NOT to give a final set weight, and just split up what is there. Along with a flat $800 or whatever it is per 1/4.

Parkerguy18

Reaction score
I was able to buy 4 more steers just like RD's last night. Same build, same lineage, same ages.

I have been on the road and phone constantly for the last 48 hours. To the brand inspector first (90 miles) to get an education regarding the legal end of doing this. Good guy, super helpful and had some great tips for me. Next it was off to the ranch (100 more miles) to try and make a deal that not only works for both of us now but in the future as well. The basic idea is to have something finishing at all times so wait time is cut down to about 4 weeks or less when someone orders.
Since we pushed this sooner than originally planned I also needed to be sure I had available space in his corrals to finish them along with daily care when I am not there. We worked out the details on how to provide the best product between us and shook hands on it.
By the way, up here, a handshake across a dinner table means more than any notarized, attorney prepared contract will ever have.
Next was a trip to the butcher (150 miles) to understand his fees and pick his brain on how best to do quarters for everyone. Quite the education there. When we do quarters with friends we just split it up equally with friends, no issues. Then, I was reminded there are only 2 tri tips, 2 tenderloins, 2 flank steaks and 2 skirt steaks for each steer processed. Not a huge deal, will just have to do first come first serve on quarters with the prime cuts.
The butcher asked the obvious question, "Why so many quarters?"
When I replied that not everyone is ready to deal with 300 lbs of cut, wrapped beef as their first step into bulk beef like this he simply suggested finishing out smaller so a half only comes out to a bit over 200lbs of finished product. I made about 4000 more phone calls and the general consensus was, this is a solid plan. Easier to split between families. Lean and healthy but still packs the flavor with the added bonus of needing a week less dry aging.

The final plan:
We will finish them to 1200lbs and they will dry age for 2 weeks. This will net about 400 to 425lbs of cut/wrapped beef ready for your freezer as a whole. 200 to 210lbs as a half and a 100lbs or so for a quarter.

Pricing:
It's a simple $7.94 cash per pound delivered to Havasu.

After doing the homework and adding up all the real costs involved I can see why these outfits are selling at $9.75lb and up. Even at that, they aren't making a killing. If this was something I depended on to make a living, I would have to be closer to those prices. For now, it's a passionate hobby.

Whole and half purchases move to the front of the line. Since each quarter is different Amy and I will try to split a whole as evenly as possible to make a quarter. First to order gets the choice on tri-tips and tenderloins in their quarter.

The cuts we'll be doing are the standard butcher cuts:
Brisket
Chuck Roast
Chuck Steak
Boneless Chuck Roast
Short Ribs
Rib Eye Steak
T-Bone
Porterhouse
Top Sirloin
Tri-Tip
Tip Roast
Round Steak
London Broil
Flank Steak
Skirt Steak
Rump Roast
Shanks
And of course, ground beef.

If you buy a whole and want a custom job, no problem- price is the same.

I'll be setting up a paypal account for $100 deposits, or cash is fine. Mid to third week in February is the tentative date for it to hit Havasu.

I am available pretty often if anyone wants to meet at the ranch (weather permitting) and meet their steer. It's good fun for the kids and a learning experience to see where their food comes from.

I know I'm forgetting something. I have to be. I'm on brain fry right now. Hit me with questions or pm if interested in ordering.

Does anyone know how much Freezer space is needed to hold a 1/2 cow worth of meat. I have an upright freezer at home probably in the 5-7 cuft range. Would that be sufficient or would I need more room?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I'm pretty easy..

wash11

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much Freezer space is needed to hold a 1/2 cow worth of meat. I have an upright freezer at home probably in the 5-7 cuft range. Would that be sufficient or would I need more room?

200lbs of cut/wrap should take about 5 cubic feet of freezer space. That's about what these halfs will finish out to, maybe a bit more.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
any one heading north form there?

I would be in, but that's a very long drive. ( ~1100)

Parkerguy18

Reaction score
200lbs of cut/wrap should take about 5 cubic feet of freezer space. That's about what these halfs will finish out to, maybe a bit more.

What would you typically end up getting (cuts wise, ground beef, etc..) in a 1/2 cow?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I would need to buy a freezer but I am interested. How much does a decent freezer go for? Would be nice to get one for the lake house as well

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
See! Told you I would be missing something! I just had my first beer so things will improve shortly:D

Each steer will have 2 tenderloins.

I re-read it and saw that you said that....but just did not have them on the list. I thought you were just keeping everyones tenderloins.....I would want to. :D No tongue for lengua tacos? :D:skull

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
How long will it last in a freezer, indefinitely?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
As some of you know my son has some knowledge in the freezer area. I have a call in to him on the brands he suggests.
One thing he always says...about freezers, washers and dryers, refrigerators pretty much everything.
Buy the simplest machine you can. No TV's, no automatic whiz-bang stuff. Look for function, not fancy bling.
If you wind up with some super electromatic unit buy the longest warranty you can. The computers in these things are big money, and he says, "you will be glad you did".
What he did for me was watch CL.
He found a candy store going out of business. They were selling their Frigidaire Commercial Freezers. Cheap.
All mechanical other than a defrost timer. Compressor, off/on dial with 1-9 cold settings. Very minimalist.
One was cherry, the other needed a defrost timer.
If you have the patience for CL and can find an older unit like this it could be a way to go.
I will update this post with brands for new units when he gets back to me.

X-rated

Reaction score
I cut meat for a living for a number of years, a grade "A" steer will typically yield 58-60% of live weight. By my math these 1200 lb boogers will leave you with 720 lbs of meat and a fair amount of rather undesirable cuts as well. GROUND BEEF IS YOUR FRIEND!!! You may find packages of some of the less desirable stuff in your freezer years from now. By my experience ground beef or hamburger is a better choice than chuck and much easier to make taste good!

Joker

Reaction score
See! Told you I would be missing something! I just had my first beer so things will improve shortly:D

Each steer will have 2 tenderloins.

Want to be sure u got my message[emoji106]

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
As some of you know my son has some knowledge in the freezer area. I have a call in to him on the brands he suggests.
One thing he always says...about freezers, washers and dryers, refrigerators pretty much everything.
Buy the simplest machine you can. No TV's, no automatic whiz-bang stuff. Look for function, not fancy bling.
If you wind up with some super electromatic unit buy the longest warranty you can. The computers in these things are big money, and he says, "you will be glad you did".
What he did for me was watch CL.
He found a candy store going out of business. They were selling their Frigidaire Commercial Freezers. Cheap.
All mechanical other than a defrost timer. Compressor, off/on dial with 1-9 cold settings. Very minimalist.
One was cherry, the other needed a defrost timer.
If you have the patience for CL and can find an older unit like this it could be a way to go.
I will update this post with brands for new units when he gets back to me.
Actually bought mine off Craiglist and it's been humming along for years. The chest freezer I see at Sam's though looks no frills enough and is rather cheap. Was thinking I could have bought new. But of course they say "they don't make them like they used to."
I cut meat for a living for a number of years, a grade "A" steer will typically yield 58-60% of live weight. By my math these 1200 lb boogers will leave you with 720 lbs of meat and a fair amount of rather undesirable cuts as well. GROUND BEEF IS YOUR FRIEND!!! You may find packages of some of the less desirable stuff in your freezer years from now. By my experience ground beef or hamburger is a better choice than chuck and much easier to make taste good!

We get a bunch of ground in what we buy and it's great. There are some roasts though and I like that. You need stuff for the crockpot.

Joker

Reaction score

I used to work for IBP. Hardest job I ever had.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I'd love to get in on this but just not in a position to do so now. One day. Not mentioned and maybe I'm bringing up something that doesn't matter, but, Bones.
I buy marrow bones for soup stock and liquid for pressure cooking roasts. And I pay as much for those as I pay for meat.

wash11

Reaction score

He's correct. Some people would be better off with more ground beef. The first time we ordered in bulk I just stared at some of the roasts not knowing what the hell to do with them. 5 years later, I've got easy crock pot or dutch oven recipes for every cut possible. Amy is working on a basic cookbook with some of our favorite recipes to go with each order. Surprisingly, The chuck roast is now my favorite part to cook. This whole experience has pushed us back into the kitchen like our parents and grandparents. That's a great thing by the way.

wash11

Reaction score
I'd love to get in on this but just not in a position to do so now. One day. Not mentioned and maybe I'm bringing up something that doesn't matter, but, Bones.
I buy marrow bones for soup stock and liquid for pressure cooking roasts. And I pay as much for those as I pay for meat.

I was waiting for this to be brought up! Whenever you are ready, I will make sure you get the bones you need from your steer at no additional cost. We'll just have to be sure to line up delivery dates as the bones can be a hassle to store in the freezers on our end. Amy was excited to read someone else makes soup stock with the bones:thumbsup

In time we will have a regular supply of healthy, uncooked beef bones for your dogs as well. You think he loves you now???

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
I was waiting for this to be brought up! Whenever you are ready, I will make sure you get the bones you need from your steer at no additional cost. We'll just have to be sure to line up delivery dates as the bones can be a hassle to store in the freezers on our end. Amy was excited to read someone else makes soup stock with the bones:thumbsup

In time we will have a regular supply of healthy, uncooked beef bones for your dogs as well. You think he loves you now???

Just have to say that you are doing a great thing for these folks! I wish I could participate, but it's just myself and my wife, and she only eats things that don't have eyes! I'm sure she would love your garden though, take her to a real farmers market and it's like kid in a candy store, real home grown produce!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
OK......I am in for a quarter. I agree with Shintoooo on choice and so forth. I don't have PayPal so I need other payment arrangements......

So......away we go...lets get this done!

Need some of them bones...them bones...them bones....lol

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Joel, Melissa and I will also take some bones for broth and the dogs. Isn't there some way to split the quarters so that everyone gets SOME great cuts? Someone gets tenderloin, someone gets porterhouse? I don't want anyone to feel like they aren't getting a good choice of meat just because they were 2nd in line. Just a thought.

wash11

Reaction score
Joel, Melissa and I will also take some bones for broth and the dogs. Isn't there some way to split the quarters so that everyone gets SOME great cuts? Someone gets tenderloin, someone gets porterhouse? I don't want anyone to feel like they aren't getting a good choice of meat just because they were 2nd in line. Just a thought.

We're just going to do the best we can to make everyone happy. A steer only puts out 2 of each- tri-tips, tenderloins, flanks and skirts so I figured "Tri-tip and flanks" for one order and "Tenderloin and Skirts" for another, letting first up choose. I was hoping by dropping the finish weight to 1200lbs. more people would opt for a half. (Several did by the way)

Anyone splitting by quarters will know who they are partnered with and can freely trade different cuts among themselves as well. These 5 steers are being finished for RDP members only, I can't imagine anyone walking away feeling cheated.

wash11

Reaction score
We're just going to do the best we can to make everyone happy. A steer only puts out 2 of each- tri-tips, tenderloins, flanks and skirts so I figured "Tri-tip and flanks" for one order and "Tenderloin and Skirts" for another, letting first up choose. I was hoping by dropping the finish weight to 1200lbs. more people would opt for a half. (Several did by the way)

Anyone splitting by quarters will know who they are partnered with and can freely trade different cuts among themselves as well. These 5 steers are being finished for RDP members only, I can't imagine anyone walking away feeling cheated.

Or split groups into 3. 1/2 and 1/4-1/4. Point being, I'm looking to be sure everyone is super happy with their investment. I think we have enough time to figure it out.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Wsuwrhrs want a full and we will see how it goes from there.

Right now I am working on how I am getting it from wherever to CA.

Brian

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
Let me talk to my buddy... Maybe do a full. Will be after the first of the year tho.

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
Wsuwrhr wants a 1/2 for sure for now, and I am thinking it will be a full.

Right now I am working on how I am getting it from wherever to CA.

Brian

FWIW, I am buying a whole steer from Joel. I will be heading out to Parker around delivery time and picking up the beef in Havasu before I head home. I'm sure we can make some arrangements to get anybody else's beef back to the LA area pretty easily.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
In in LA and really won't be heading to Havi/Parker anytime soon.

If it helps anyone out, I'd take a quarter or split a quarter with someone or whatevs... I just can't get it to LA...

Havasteve

Reaction score
Wash this is great. My mouth is watering. Thanks for doing this.

I'm in for a "Q" Just need to know how to pay.

Wheres the Ranch, is there a runway near by.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
In in LA and really won't be heading to Havi/Parker anytime soon.

If it helps anyone out, I'd take a quarter or split a quarter with someone or whatevs... I just can't get it to LA...

I'd be down to split a quarter [emoji4]

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I'd be down to split a quarter [emoji4]

Thought you stopped smoking? :p

I could split it with ya...I have a PM going with another RDPer that might work out. If it doesn't work out then let's talk!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Thought you stopped smoking? :p

I could split it with ya...I have a PM going with another RDPer that might work out. If it doesn't work out then let's talk!

Sounds good. [emoji3]

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
If it don't work out Im down to split a quarter just to try it, my chick don't eat meat so a 1/8 would be perfect if not no biggie.

Awesome thank u [emoji106]🏽