WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hertz - Tesla!!

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Hertz, announced the order of 100,000 Teslas to begin the building an Electric Fleet. The company also stated that during the "pandemic" they sold off a large portion of the inventory and it needed to replenish. The rental rates have skyrocketed with the short supply of rentals available.

hman442

Reaction score
I wonder what they'll use as an additional "profit center" with the Tesla, as they won't be able to charge $10.00 a gallon for gas if a guy doesn't see a gas station on the way back to the airport.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
In another statement, this from Tesla, Elon Musk announced the "Pull Back" of their Automated Drive Vehicles because they have
Issues" There was no other information if or when they would return.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I wonder what they'll use as an additional "profit center" with the Tesla, as they won't be able to charge $10.00 a gallon for gas if a guy doesn't see a gas station on the way back to the airport.
Charge for power if you bring it in low. Same thing, in fact I think it would be harder for the consumer to top the Tesla’s off prior to returning the car.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Rental prices have been brutal. I was going looking at going to Kauai in November, and renting a shitbox was going to be $1100.00 for a week.
I was just looking in TX for next month 10-14. Budget was 800 for a Med SUV and enterprise was 600 ish. Crazy.

WYRD

Reaction score
I just rented an SUV from Enterprise $500 for the weekend

hman442

Reaction score
I'll be glad when they get their inventory back up

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
What do you mean? They are going to charge everyone that does not bring the car back fully charged.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Charge for power if you bring it in low. Same thing, in fact I think it would be harder for the consumer to top the Tesla’s off prior to returning the car.

This. Everyone will be charged per mile of depleted range.

Watch for new charge stations at airports that cost a ridiculous amount to top off before you turn the car in.

Have fun spending an extra hour or 2 at the airport or paying through the nose. I’ll take the gas rental.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Friends were there and said locals are renting out their personal cars in Craigslist.
This has been going on for years and even more now so.. Especially on Molokai, lanai and Kauai.. The only rental place on Lanai went under a couple years ago.

Gotta watch them on this now....the Vegas drop off center for the rental car companies uses outsourced staff and I'm not sure what their cut is on the fuel charges. I filled up my rental coming back from Havasu a few weeks back at the ARCO/rebel down the street. Delivered it back completely full... Dropped it off in the "contactless" lane, and jumped on the bus... got my receipt about 20 min later via the app...they had charged me for 3 gallons exactly, at 9.99+a labor surcharge for roughly a total of $50. Thank god I had my receipt...shot a pic to Avis and they refunded me... Shady ass shit going on constantly at that location.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Rental car locations are like Cab companies and now lyft/Uber has jumped in with their same shenanigans. .

Ya charge it up at Walmart if the chargers aren’t all broken. Read that: If and on your way back to the airport.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Rental car locations are like Cab companies and now lyft/Uber has jumped in with their same shenanigans. .

Ya charge it up at Walmart if the chargers aren’t all broken. Read that: If and on your way back to the airport.

Agreed, and now you have to tack that "charge time" on to your "travel time". And when you drive from Walmart to the Airport they will also ding you for that range delta. Every car is going to be fully charged when you pick it up.. so anything less than that there will be a charge and surcharge for plugging it in to top it off.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when auto manufactures sold rental car companies vehicles they couldn't sell. In the 1980's this would be bad news.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The company also stated that during the "pandemic" they sold off a large portion of the inventory and it needed to replenish.

True-ish.

Rental car companies are always selling inventory…they sold more over a short period of time and didn’t replenish.

Sorta like how McDonalds is in the real estate business…rental car companies are in the used-car-sales business.

They buy inventory at ridiculously low fleet prices.
They rent the cars out to cover depreciation and maintenance.
They sell the cars before major service (like new tires) are due.

The rate that rental car companies turn their inventory is used as an indicator of the health of the auto industry and economy as a whole.

When they turn inventory fast, it’s a sign of a strong market and economy.

When they turn inventory slowly, it’s a sign of a weak market and economy.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
I was just looking in TX for next month 10-14. Budget was 800 for a Med SUV and enterprise was 600 ish. Crazy.

True-ish.

Rental car companies are always selling inventory…they sold more over a short period of time and didn’t replenish.

Sorta like how McDonalds is in the real estate business…rental car companies are in the used-car-sales business.

They buy inventory at ridiculously low fleet prices.
They rent the cars out to cover depreciation and maintenance.
They sell the cars before major service (like new tires) are due.

The rate that rental car companies turn their inventory is used as an indicator of the health of the auto industry and economy as a whole.

When they turn inventory fast, it’s a sign of a strong market and economy.

When they turn inventory slowly, it’s a sign of a weak market and economy.

You think the "COVID 19" Pandemic, might be an Exception to ANY RULE?o_O

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I’m sure there will be superchargers at the rental centers so you can top off before returning.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I’m sure there will be superchargers at the rental centers so you can top off before returning.
I think the opposite. Yes they will have chargers, but for the agency to recharge to 100% and charge you for it.

We rent cars nation wide for crews. The new scheme is windshield damage. They will bill you 2-3 months later for a repair bill for under $200. Just so you pay it, but if you call about it they will cancel the charge. Just another money making scheme.

DWC

Reaction score
I think the opposite. Yes they will have chargers, but for the agency to recharge to 100% and charge you for it.

We rent cars nation wide for crews. The new scheme is windshield damage. They will bill you 2-3 months later for a repair bill for under $200. Just so you pay it, but if you call about it they will cancel the charge. Just another money making scheme.
They always seem to have a scheme. Our company has full coverage with rentals. No one really walks it before/after a rental. Was with someone on my team on a trip. Walked around after and nothing. Got an email later saying there was damage. Complete BS. Had the car for a few hours, parked in north 40 and returned. Good scam.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… friend of mine came out for a week from Chicago… Said the rental car it’s going to cost him $1100…

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

100%
It takes time and money to install chargers.
Companies are gonna want a positive ROI on that investment.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
There will be for an oppressively high fee, just under what the rental place will charge you.

Remember no one here waits for Costco gas.. no one has time to wait for a supercharge at the end of your trip.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
They always seem to have a scheme. Our company has full coverage with rentals. No one really walks it before/after a rental. Was with someone on my team on a trip. Walked around after and nothing. Got an email later saying there was damage. Complete BS. Had the car for a few hours, parked in north 40 and returned. Good scam.
Have you notice there is no one that checks you out when leaving the parking garages? It's, here's your keys and good by. Before you had to drive though a gate with a employee and from there you tell them the damage on the car and they market it. Nope, so I take pictures before I leave that has a date on it just in case as there is always damage.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My dealership was chosen to prep and deliver a few hundred cars to Hertz in SanDiego on a nation wide corporate deal. Was a complete pain in the ass.

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
Have you notice there is no one that checks you out when leaving the parking garages? It's, here's your keys and good by. Before you had to drive though a gate with a employee and from there you tell them the damage on the car and they market it. Nope, so I take pictures before I leave that has a date on it just in case as there is always damage.

This is from my last rental out of Ontario. One way to SD. They always flick the booger on one ways. The rear quarter panel was flapping. Turns out at 70ish the hood would also.
There’s no one in the lot to show. There’s only a security guard checking to make sure you have paperwork. He told me that the white out meant that it was a known problem!

1635274114511.jpeg
1635274114511.jpeg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We’ve had a disturbing share of shenanigans with rental car companies and Hertz was the worst.

They’ll find a way to screw the customers. The cars may well have a proprietary higher charge cost at charge stations including Tesla stations that is billed to your CC through Hertz.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Lately when I’ve traveled the last few years, I find when in metropolitan areas it’s way easier and much less expensive to just get an Uber or Lyft than to rent a car. It’s also a lot more relaxing when on vacation to not have to stress about driving especially when going out for drinks 🍹. The rates the rental agencies are getting today is mind blowing that anybody would pay that just to drive a few miles. 🤦‍♂️

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Lately when I’ve traveled the last few years, I find when in metropolitan areas it’s way easier and much less expensive to just get an Uber or Lyft than to rent a car. It’s also a lot more relaxing when on vacation to not have to stress about driving especially when going out for drinks 🍹. The rates the rental agencies are getting today is mind blowing that anybody would pay that just to drive a few miles. 🤦‍♂️
Yeah, me too. Nowadays when I travel for work the production just gives me an Uber/Lyft code and I can go anywhere I want, no worry about driving or parking.