WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hey All, New to me Hallett 210 with 377 Blue Scorpion

SamMaxco

Reaction score
Hey All

Im Sam from Nor Cal. I found this about a month looking for info on clean low hour Hallett 210's for sale about a month ago!
very informative to listen to all the experiences here
Can anyone tell me What prop they have found works the well or what they found nice or bad about any certain prop on this boat with 377 Blue Scorpion? So far after 10 hours on the boat with this set up this is what I've found. I do want max top end (who doesn't) and we also use as a family ski boat pulling skiiers up at Pine Flat Lake in Fresno and Heading to Don Pedro in Nor Cal

Im not concerned with fuel as it does great with the SBC all factory stock original, it is a 2001 and it has 244 hours. It's immaculate. its currently running a four blade SS stamped inside 48-857030-23 can not find any markings as to manufacturer.
It goes 60 at 4600 rpm with wife and two smaller kids and 3/4 tank fuel- it seems to run perfectly without any hesitation, just seems like that motor should see 51-5200 rpm trimmed and closer to 70? or am I just wishing? it came with another brand new prop4 blade SS mercury marine bravo 1 stamped 48- 831910-22P , I have not tried it yet

any comments or experiences would be nice to hear, my first boat in 20 years and first ever non jet boat. its all new to me

I did see a River Dave you tube video on his Schiada running same motor and drive but he didnt say what prop, looked like he was flying, I'm guessing 70-73 mph? Dave can you tell me the prop you were running in that old video with go pro mounted on back? Thats what sold me on the 377 Blue Scorpion before even driving the Hallett!

thanks again I really appreciate any advice and remember, you all started somewhere :)

Sam

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
nice find,... the prop you have is a merc revolution,.. lots swear by them on halletts, but it will be your slowest.... those motors turn around 500 more rpms than big blocks and get their torque ay a higher rpm... I think rev limit is around 6000.... best way to prop those is with a vac gauge...., people put those big props because they cruise 50 at a low rpm.... but what they don't know is using way more fuel and putting to much load on the motor,,,I found it makes a differance at top end and cruise to put the battery's one on each side..the small block 210's ride better and smoother in the chop,..the big blocks end up with too much transom weight and like to kite, so need bow ballest

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
also, before going further. make sure of the drive ratio...not all had 1.50's

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
also, I think those are 400 hp @ 6000 rpm , not sure if that is at the prop or not..

SamMaxco

Reaction score
nice find,... the prop you have is a merc revolution,.. lots swear by them on halletts, but it will be your slowest.... those motors turn around 500 more rpms than big blocks and get their torque ay a higher rpm... I think rev limit is around 6000.... best way to prop those is with a vac gauge...., people put those big props because they cruise 50 at a low rpm.... but what they don't know is using way more fuel and putting to much load on the motor,,,I found it makes a differance at top end and cruise to put the battery's one on each side..the small block 210's ride better and smoother in the chop,..the big blocks end up with too much transom weight and like to kite, so need bow ballest

Wow! Thank you very much for that info, that's great. so its a rev 4 on there. I did not know. That would explain from what I've read why it pulls nice all around and cruises 50 at relatively low rpm and why its only 4600 or so WOT

would you expect the Bravo 1 = 22p to lose much as far as acceleration and would you expect it gain 4-5 mph trimmed with similar load? i guess I will find out Thank u again

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you very much for that info, that's great. so its a rev 4 on there. I did not know. That would explain from what I've read why it pulls nice all around and cruises 50 at relatively low rpm and why its only 4600 or so WOT

would you expect the Bravo 1 = 22p to lose much as far as acceleration and would you expect it gain 4-5 mph trimmed with similar load? i guess I will find out Thank u again
I liked the Rev4 on my 210 for overall performance. You could try a 21 Rev4?

Xring01

Reaction score
Take your prop, to a prop shop, give them on the details on your setup, and what your trying to accomplish. Problem solved

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Hey All

Im Sam from Nor Cal. I found this about a month looking for info on clean low hour Hallett 210's for sale about a month ago!
very informative to listen to all the experiences here
Can anyone tell me What prop they have found works the well or what they found nice or bad about any certain prop on this boat with 377 Blue Scorpion? So far after 10 hours on the boat with this set up this is what I've found. I do want max top end (who doesn't) and we also use as a family ski boat pulling skiiers up at Pine Flat Lake in Fresno and Heading to Don Pedro in Nor Cal

Im not concerned with fuel as it does great with the SBC all factory stock original, it is a 2001 and it has 244 hours. It's immaculate. its currently running a four blade SS stamped inside 48-857030-23 can not find any markings as to manufacturer.
It goes 60 at 4600 rpm with wife and two smaller kids and 3/4 tank fuel- it seems to run perfectly without any hesitation, just seems like that motor should see 51-5200 rpm trimmed and closer to 70? or am I just wishing? it came with another brand new prop4 blade SS mercury marine bravo 1 stamped 48- 831910-22P , I have not tried it yet

any comments or experiences would be nice to hear, my first boat in 20 years and first ever non jet boat. its all new to me

I did see a River Dave you tube video on his Schiada running same motor and drive but he didnt say what prop, looked like he was flying, I'm guessing 70-73 mph? Dave can you tell me the prop you were running in that old video with go pro mounted on back? Thats what sold me on the 377 Blue Scorpion before even driving the Hallett!

thanks again I really appreciate any advice and remember, you all started somewhere :)

Sam
Welcome Sam,
I also have a new to me Hallett 210. Mine is 2002 with the 350mag mpi 300hp. Bravo 1 w/1.5 gears. I have a mirage plus 21. We primarily cruise and pull the kids on wakeboards. Our setup gets out of the hole very quickly and tops out around 60. The 210 runs significantly better when trimmed out. Since you are coming from a jet, using the trim for better speed and ride will come with seat-time and experience. We really love our 210.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Welcome Sam,
I also have a new to me Hallett 210. Mine is 2002 with the 350mag mpi 300hp. Bravo 1 w/1.5 gears. I have a mirage plus 21. We primarily cruise and pull the kids on wakeboards. Our setup gets out of the hole very quickly and tops out around 60. The 210 runs significantly better when trimmed out. Since you are coming from a jet, using the trim for better speed and ride will come with seat-time and experience. We really love our 210.
I got 70 out of mine with a ron hill 4 blade... I think it was 14.5 diameter...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

hallett uses cheetah speedo,.. so 5 mph off

Reactions: DWC

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
also....I have CRS bad,,,,I can't remember the code to my garage door, let alone specs on a hallett I had 10 or so years ago...... errr wait.... maybe it was 15

Runs2rch

Reaction score
they had 2 differant ones,... but I think the 400hp was crankshaft hp..I remember early ones being closer to 6000
What I posted is from the spec sheet for all Blue Scorpions. Maybe the Black Scorpion is what you are thinking of?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
In a small block Hallett, what you want is a prop that gets you on plane with a full load in summer, doesn’t blow out when you turn, and tows your kids on toys. Searching for 1/2 a mph is a waste of time and money imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
In a small block Hallett, what you want is a prop that gets you on plane with a full load in summer, doesn’t blow out when you turn, and tows your kids on toys. Searching for 1/2 a mph is a waste of time and money imo.

waisting time and money is why we boat,...you can always play checkers and drink iced tea under the tree..

SamMaxco

Reaction score
waisting time and money is why we boat,...you can always play checkers and drink iced tea under the tree..
:D yeah, kinda what I was thinking. I mean there has to be a good reason when the boat was ordered they would have paid for the upgraded small block over a 454HO, I appreciate the comments

SamMaxco

Reaction score

Well, not exactly, what I want in my small block Hallett, I want a prop that lets the motor get into its top HP rpm range when I want it to,
then I want it to plane well like it does, as it should! It pulls me out on my slalom ski just fine and I'm 245 lbs, pulling kids or planning quickly with my family is not even an issue. it does that without breaking a sweat, and I know you were being facetious about the 1/2 mile an hour, but come on, why even say anything :rolleyes:
Thanks again

SamMaxco

Reaction score
Welcome Sam,
you're absolutely right about the Trim and seat time!

thanks again

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Well, not exactly, what I want in my small block Hallett, I want a prop that lets the motor get into its top HP rpm range when I want it to,
then I want it to plane well like it does, as it should! It pulls me out on my slalom ski just fine and I'm 245 lbs, pulling kids or planning quickly with my family is not even an issue. it does that without breaking a sweat, and I know you were being facetious about the 1/2 mile an hour, but come on, why even say anything :rolleyes:
Thanks again

Half ass kidding. But a 4 blade will do everything well for you. I just wouldn’t get fixated on top speed.

SamMaxco

Reaction score
Half ass kidding. But a 4 blade will do everything well for you. I just wouldn’t get fixated on top speed.

agreed - definitely staying with a four blade, my guess is the rev 4 21p is going to really close or maybe the 22p Bravo 1 that Ihave yet to try
thank you!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
also, understanding propellers helps here....first props are like the car tires..low profile tires take off quicker, but are slower top end... same with props...

what I think we have here is a situation where the prop is really tooo big, like putting 44's on a truck with a small motor..even though it goes faster in the mid range, not enough power to get to proper RPMS and top speed.. which is evident with your results..

speed-60... rpms-4600... gear-1.5...slip 10%... with the rpms 600 off, and knowing that the rev prop sucks power,.. you need more rpms, to go faster...

so, to get to 70 mph on your speedo,.. so, to go 70, 1.5 gear, 10% slip, 5200 rpm, you need a 24p prop..a 22p will get you to 65, where you will pick up is a smaller diameter prop.,.. that and using a vacuum gauge to see the load amount on the motor.. ron hill has the props, and so does solas.. i'm guessing a 14.5 would work and 24 pitch

I also have a secret weapon 23p,.. it's a 5 blade,...14'' diameter,,,if you could spin it to 5200, that would get you to 68, but if the slip dropped to 7, ....70 mph...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
also, just thinking out loud,... I would think a 400 hp 210 should swing a 24p prop...22 for water sports

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Keep in mind when comparing props that the stated pitch is not always correct. The Rev 4 props are usually the stated pitch. The Btavo 1's tend to be 1 to 2 inches less than the stated pitch. The 22 you is probably closer to a 21 if it has not been worked. Should get where you want rpm wise but I would expect more stern lift.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Keep in mind when comparing props that the stated pitch is not always correct. The Rev 4 props are usually the stated pitch. The Btavo 1's tend to be 1 to 2 inches less than the stated pitch. The 22 you is probably closer to a 21 if it has not been worked. Should get where you want rpm wise but I would expect more stern lift.

Hey buddy, it's been a minute...hope all is well...
usually I've been able to step up a pitch or so from the rev 4,.. they get hella bite....and usually if running a 24p bravo, I step down a pitch to get the rev,....so 23p..

NicPaus

Reaction score
The 22 B1 will be better for watersports. You can probably pull a 24 b1 as well. Try them all. I have a 22,24 and labbed 26 B1 and a 23 rev 4. Had a 25 rev 4 and stock 26 b1. They were similar in pitch and I could not hit rev limit so I sold them. Been searching for a stock 25 b1 but hard to find used.

SamMaxco

Reaction score
so where is all the pics of this badd boy
9C1598A9-73B5-4AA7-821F-9C9FA6AF0D0D.png
76128A51-71B7-438F-BED7-1D8C14947E62.png
66269E6D-1A32-4DB6-A3A5-CF6CF86E3AFE.png
9014EE18-ADB0-4D7C-AAD0-A3CCBE7E66C9.png
33103961-A215-4049-8764-B6890E0152B1.jpeg

SamMaxco

Reaction score
I got 70 out of mine with a ron hill 4 blade... I think it was 14.5 diameter...
Was that with the same blue scorpion 377 as I’m running, it’s all stock with 1.5 Bravo 1? I was told it has and will go 72 with light load and the Bravo 1 22 he sold with boat but loses some midrange and lower end acceleration. I have to experiment. I really really appreciate your comments, they are helping a lot. Do you have a 210 Open Bow also, or you did obviously? 😁👍🏼

Last edited:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Was that with the same blue scorpion 377 as I’m running, it’s all stock with 1.5 Bravo 1? I was told it has and will go 72 with light load and the Bravo 1 22 he sold with boat but loses some midrange and lower end acceleration. I have to experiment. I really really appreciate your comments, they are helping a lot. Do you have a 210 Open Bow also, or you did obviously? 😁👍🏼
lets just say I've owned a few halletts . wish you were in vegas we could slap the 5 blade on it.... for some reason I think I used it on a 210 closed bow...

rd has one in havasu....back in the day, the small blocks really liked the hi 5 props

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
all said, I bet spring time that motor will turn the rev 4 to limit with light load..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
another question,... are you trimming the drive till it don't go faster???

SamMaxco

Reaction score
what is stern lift and what effect, positive or negative will it bring?

SamMaxco

Reaction score
i don't think I'm doing it right, I'm going to take it out tomorrow or Friday and redo my wot pass- i don't think I had it trimmed up properly

SamMaxco

Reaction score
no,I don't think I did. its gotta turn more than 4600- if the rev 4 23 is the reason,after i play with trimming more, ill try the Bravo 1 22p that i have, but after researching I'm thinking a Rev 4-21 p ( which is more like a Bravo1 - 23P, if they made one) might be the way to go!
or one of those worked 5 blades you mentioned. Do you know what Prop River Dave was running on his Schiada 21 with the 377 BS and the bravo one in his old you tube video? You tube 377 Blue Scorpian schiada, its flying!!
I wish I could try some others before buying, i appreciate your offer, its just too far. But, I will go straight down and buy the Rev 4 - 21p, if the B1 22p or trimming the outdrive optimally doesn't satisfy me. it really does run fantastic, all the way through, its got power and response, 60 in that boat is nice, but 68-70 would be better :) the prop cavitates a bit on hard tight turns to grab a downed skiier, but thats no biggie, everything else is tip top but the top speed imo. I want it right by me, thinking it wasnt trimmed properly if at all the one time I let it fly ;) I know the conditions weren't right, it was rougher so im thinking I went trim down, Ill figure it out! you guys on here have been awesome!! Thanks so much!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
i don't think I'm doing it right, I'm going to take it out tomorrow or Friday and redo my wot pass- i don't think I had it trimmed up properly
why this spring? We need it now 2FF :)
that boat will run 5 mph faster when it cools off...dave's best prop I believe he said was the same as the one you have..23p rev 4....and I think that the hallett should be the faster hull...schiada run wet and smooth.. halletts get loose but will go faster hp same..

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Congrats on the new boat. I have no advice to offer as I am still learning myself. But, I'm always excited to see another central valleyin on rdp. Pine flat is my home lake but it seems they are letting all the water out so our season will be cut short. I may ne out there Saturday. If your around hit me up.

SamMaxco

Reaction score
What is the result of more stern lift? Negative or positive in my situation?
Thank u

SamMaxco

Reaction score
did you retest???
Hi Buddy!
Not yet. Spent the weekend rebunking one slat and just going over stuff, cleaning it etc etc. this week I will, and will be looking for you to compare notes on here. Going to don Pedro lake on the 11-13
So wanting to have that all worked out by then. Really love this boat and I hope you’re right, I’m sure you know what you’re taking about. I really do appreciate your time and if I get the chance I’m buying! 🍻🍻😁👍🏼

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Thank u
Too much stern lift can result in chine walking and bow steer. My 210 did not handle well with the standard Bravo 1 but it was a bit bigger pitch than what you are running. The Bravo 1FS worked best on mine. Best to try the props you have and a get a feel for the boat as you play with the trim and tabs to find the sweet spot.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Thank u
there's three ways a prop can go,what you want is a prop the settles down and just pushes forward, if a prop tries to screw down, it causes bow lift and proposing..... the other way is when it keep trying to come out of the water, and like said causes chine walk and unstable feeling , as the prop tries to surface it reaches a point to where the stern has liffed as much as it's gonna and it tries to twist the boat to the one side and as it nears the surface, it looses the bite and the weight of the boat pushes the prop back to deep in the water, this can get violent , Bob leech told me it was called searching ,... and I ask'd "for what?"...he replied, a place to crash.....I think of that every time I get to a point in a boat where it's not responding to driver imput...

my advise is always the same,leave the family on the beach, or at home when testing for W.O.T. there are some boat that do all kinds of crazy stuff that you can drive through...and some you can't...seat time is critical

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am sorry I didn't see this thread until right now!! @SamMaxco for general "cruising" on my Schiada I liked the 23 Revolution the most it would put me at 50 mph at crazy low RPM (like 3500?) Problem was the prop topped out at about 65 mph and that was trimming it quite a bit to get it to slip to bring the RPM's up into the max range. For cruising though it was a great prop and the boat handled really well with it.

For max speed I had a trophy 24 that had been dialed in for the boat by a legendary prop guy at Merc Racing. As a matter of fact it was the last prop he had ever worked on, and I was told he walked outside slipped on some ice and hit his head and passed away.. :( I had that prop on there for years, and then my brother cured me of having the "magic" prop for the boat by whacking some rocks with it. I had it repaired, it was never the same, and to tell you the truth never even remotely ran right again.. I tried other 24 Trophies with no luck. I have no idea what the guy did with it, but it worked really well on the boat when it had his magic on it.

I had tried probably 15 different props on that boat over the years.. My boat never liked the Bravo's 22 / 24 in terms of how it ran in rough water, but the rest of it was good and it put up decent #'s. 24 was the right size for me. I also tried 5 blade hill 21 / 23 and those things are like tractors man they don't slip at all!

When I got the boat I was told it ran 71 mph.. I gps'd it and the best I could ever get out of it was high 60's.. with some setup changes we managed to get it to a personal best of 73 mph. It would run 70 under normal conditions and 67-68 with a bit of a load..

Let me know if I can help in anyway!

RD

SamMaxco

Reaction score
I am sorry I didn't see this thread until right now!! @SamMaxco for general "cruising" on my Schiada I liked the 23 Revolution the most it would put me at 50 mph at crazy low RPM (like 3500?) Problem was the prop topped out at about 65 mph and that was trimming it quite a bit to get it to slip to bring the RPM's up into the max range. For cruising though it was a great prop and the boat handled really well with it.

For max speed I had a trophy 24 that had been dialed in for the boat by a legendary prop guy at Merc Racing. As a matter of fact it was the last prop he had ever worked on, and I was told he walked outside slipped on some ice and hit his head and passed away.. :( I had that prop on there for years, and then my brother cured me of having the "magic" prop for the boat by whacking some rocks with it. I had it repaired, it was never the same, and to tell you the truth never even remotely ran right again.. I tried other 24 Trophies with no luck. I have no idea what the guy did with it, but it worked really well on the boat when it had his magic on it.

I had tried probably 15 different props on that boat over the years.. My boat never liked the Bravo's 22 / 24 in terms of how it ran in rough water, but the rest of it was good and it put up decent #'s. 24 was the right size for me. I also tried 5 blade hill 21 / 23 and those things are like tractors man they don't slip at all!

When I got the boat I was told it ran 71 mph.. I gps'd it and the best I could ever get out of it was high 60's.. with some setup changes we managed to get it to a personal best of 73 mph. It would run 70 under normal conditions and 67-68 with a bit of a load..

Let me know if I can help in anyway!

RD
Thanks River Dave-
I’ve had time to get to know the boat well and about 20 hours in the seat.
As embarrassed as I am, I wanna be honest. I wasn’t driving it correct and did not understand trim and tabs, I do now.
Also, found out the Faria speedo is off 4-5 MPH on the slow side. Had to get a Garmin GPS handheld to find that out.
Hands down the Rev4 23 p is my choice so far. Way more effective than the back up 22p Bravo 1
Trimmed out 1/2 tank the boat runs on Granin GPS 67+ MPH all day and that’s at 4900/ 5000 RPM. Speedo reads 62/63. I like the boat more and more each time we use it. It’s turn key and immaculate
Next couple weeks I’m gonna look at calling a prop shop and seeing what they offer and also consider asking a prop guy to work on another Rev 4 23p to see if they can get me maybe even a bit more hole shot and another 2-3 hundred rpms at wot. At that point, I think it’s fair to be satisfied that I’m getting the most that the Blue Scorpion 377 has to offer to the Hallett 210 in its stock form. The thing runs great, always has. Trimming up a bit seems to really help on top end in any water. I knew it was always running good and seemed like it was faster than 60. I guess it was. GPS and properly trimmed, 67 mph isn’t bad at all, it’s fast for a small block - 70 -72 would be better though, just because I’m insecure and that will make me happier about my 210 😂. I’ll see if working a Rev 4 prop can get it done. But I will keep the stock Rev 4 23p as my main go to as it does all things well.
thanks again all for your time. RDP is a great source and resource 👍🏼

Attachments

• 5D810283-5AC3-4D33-A583-B1B0F4003B48.jpeg
    5D810283-5AC3-4D33-A583-B1B0F4003B48.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 139