WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hey "Boat In" camping experts...

Water Romper

Reaction score
So the wife and I want to do a weekend "boat camping" trip- this is allowed on our local lake in Boise, ID. You can only access the camp sites by boat. We have tent camped and RV camped which has the luxury of being able to bring everything including the kitchen sink however, with a boat in camping trip, our "vehicle" is the boat (19 foot, closed bow) which means we need to really slim down our camping comforts. One of my concerns is food, what do you guys prepare for meals when limited on cooking devices. small propane 1 burner stove and 1 pan? Regular camping, we have everything from steaks, baked potato's to spaghetti and garlic bread but on this trip, not sure how to do it. Sleeping bags, small tent, beer/water, gun, warm cloths (yes it is cool at nights here even if its 100 during the day) and toiletries (there are NO toilets) Firewood and safety gear ie: flashlights, bug spray, etc...but the food situation has me perplexed.. room for two or three ice chest only. I could shuttle back and fourth from the camp site to the truck to get supplies but that seems to defeat the purpose of boat camping.
Yeah yeah, I know, buy a bigger boat, haha, that ain't gonna happen... any 1 dish meal ideas ?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
K.I.S.S.
It'll surprise you how little you actually need.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Bbq, or just the BBQ grill for over the fire.
Must have coffee pot.
Milk crate with wire enclosure, with a line and bouy to keep the beer cold in ~30' of water.
Gas
Cash.

Dan'l

azsunfun

Reaction score
what ever you feel, your not limited to 1 burner, sounds like a packpac trip, open fire if possible leave out stove, take old fridge wired shekf your set for whole meal on 1 surface, mash on it is correct COFFEE, they make solar light pretty cheap, have a blast and keep safe.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
Vacuum seal all of your meats and freeze them, it will help keep other stuff cold and wont get ruined in the ice water.
steaks are easy to preseason vacuum and freeze
brats precook seal and freeze
Chicken seal and freeze
You can find a bunch of canned sides to set on the grill once your main course is cooking

are you worried about bears at all? Bring rope to get your stuff off the ground

i would bring a grill to put over the fire that way you don’t have to pack a bbq

if you have a swim step you can ratchet coolers or milk crates to that

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
I keep an old Coleman two burner in the boat along with two cast iron pans (1 large and 1 small). Most of the time I don’t even whip out the Coleman since I’ll usually just throw the cast iron in the fire pit. Easy clean up too.

My go to boat-camp breakfast on a single pan is Brussel sprouts, bacon and eggs on tortillas with a little cheese and hot sauce. Whip the eggs and put them in Tupperware with seasoning at home. Cook the bacon first then remove and use the grease to fry up the brussel sprouts. Push those off to the side and scramble your eggs. Plate all that and warm up your tortillas last. Sprinkle cheese, hot sauce then pour yourself a strong bloody. 👌

The closed bow of my 20ft always has camping gear ready to go.
60E50405-9BA2-49EC-9FA0-56829526888B.jpeg

Been known to cook up some good steaks on the water 😉
4596D9CD-B646-4C14-B6D4-E8F98DDAE14C.jpeg

279EE85B-5A50-42C7-BAA3-B485B537BD37.jpeg

samsah33

Reaction score
watch Naked and Afraid, they pretty much have it down. If they can do 21 days, you can do a weekend np...

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
You premake everything you cant bbq or grill and store it in single serve containers.
Amazon has them but the ol lady has found them at the dollar tree down the street from us.
Pull the lid, reheat, eat.
They store neatly in our igloo ice chest and dispose of even easier. (Cardboard goes in the fire, aluminum gets balled up)

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
mini weber, charcoal, done.

Pre season and ziplock up some steaks, oil and season and ziplock bag asparagus. Throw it all right on the grill (take it out of the ziplocks first 🤣)

Water Romper

Reaction score
Coffee a must!! Great suggestions here, no bears possibly cats though. Yes on the 9mm, but its legal to carry here so everyone has one. Beer and the Jameson (when done boating) a must as well. Like the idea of a full meal in a Zip Lock, For the most part, everything tastes good when camping so I cant screw it up to much, maybe bring the small gas BBQ, it folds up nice and tight, same gas container operates the coffee pot as well. Biggest worry is wind picking up at night, with the boat docked and if the water gets rough, it could get a bit interesting. We will be in a cove so that will help. This area shuts down at night, no stores, marina closed (and is 6 miles away) no cell phone service, no patrols, and DARK at night...it is roughing it to say the least

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Coffee a must!! This area shuts down at night, no stores, marina closed (and is 6 miles away) no cell phone service, no patrols, and DARK at night...it is roughing it to say the least

Sounds perfect.

Dan'l

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
. Biggest worry is wind picking up at night, with the boat docked and if the water gets rough, it could get a bit interesting. We will be in a cove so that will help. This area shuts down at night, no stores, marina closed (and is 6 miles away) no cell phone service, no patrols, and DARK at night...it is roughing it to say the least

get a surplus sea bag and fill it full of rocks, use that for your camp anchor

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Coffee a must!! Great suggestions here, no bears possibly cats though. Yes on the 9mm, but its legal to carry here so everyone has one. Beer and the Jameson (when done boating) a must as well. Like the idea of a full meal in a Zip Lock, For the most part, everything tastes good when camping so I cant screw it up to much, maybe bring the small gas BBQ, it folds up nice and tight, same gas container operates the coffee pot as well. Biggest worry is wind picking up at night, with the boat docked and if the water gets rough, it could get a bit interesting. We will be in a cove so that will help. This area shuts down at night, no stores, marina closed (and is 6 miles away) no cell phone service, no patrols, and DARK at night...it is roughing it to say the least

Lucky Peak reservoir?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Canned chicken breast and salsa makes pretty good tacos.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Boil in a bag omlets. Use freezer bags. Make spaghetti put in ziploc, warm in boiling water. Frozen veggies, you guessed, boil in a bag.
Don't forget spam, instant mashed potatoes and a jar of gravey.

outboard_256

Reaction score
Go on a hiking diet. Bring a jet boil and freeze dried foods. Takes up almost no room.

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
Omaha Steak mail order. Packages come with Steaks, Potatoes, Vegetables and even Deserts.
Comes pre frozen packaged in dry ice and in its own thick ice chest.
BAM DONE

fmo24

Reaction score
We used to pack dry ice in bottom of ice chest. Pre cook chicken in Italian dressing then throw on grill with potatoes and a salad(pre made ). Breakfast was bagels and cream cheese.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Lucky Peak reservoir?
Yes, Lucky Peak (12 min from the house) so if it sucks, Ill just come home. you can see the cove with several docks off to the right, heading N. up HWY 21, almost
straight across from Barkley Bay. Picture below is the gorge, couple camp sites in this area but we are are going to try south of here, in the cove I mentioned. Will take more pictures when we do a day trip and scope the sites better

lucky_peak_3_500.jpg

Attachments

• lake.jpg
    lake.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Wow, that steak is half the size of the Coleman stove!😍

Brian

Reaction score
Mountain House makes great dehydrated meals. Just pour in hot water and wait about 10 min.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Wow, that steak is half the size of the Coleman stove!😍

Cooking it on a Himalayan salt block too 😉 I’m all about a good early/late season Lake Steak

This is lunch and dinner for two along with some snacks. All fits in a AO saddle bag cooler with two frozen bottles of water instead of ice. Don’t have to worry about food getting soggy that way and when you’re ready to eat it’s only one little bag to bring out for all your fixings.
9F4CCC47-3F2B-4BBE-AADA-C6ABB259128C.jpeg

Water Romper

Reaction score
Cooking it on a Himalayan salt block too 😉 I’m all about a good early/late season Lake Steak

This is lunch and dinner for two along with some snacks. All fits in a AO saddle bag cooler with two frozen bottles of water instead of ice. Don’t have to worry about food getting soggy that way and when you’re ready to eat it’s only one little bag to bring out for all your fixings.
View attachment 1014289
This looks awsome!! Screw camping, I want to eat this now!! ;)

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Bbq, or just the BBQ grill for over the fire.
Must have coffee pot.
Milk crate with wire enclosure, with a line and bouy to keep the beer cold in ~30' of water.
Gas
Cash.

Dan'l
Premix coffee in the can open can set in fire 👍 break everything you can down to freezer bags ( less weight and you can burn) block ice in cooler at each end then cube in freezer bag ( ice for cocktails poke a hole ) everything in cardboard boxs ( fire starter ) shit I’ve cooked spaghetti dinner for 30 and 160 pound hog about five times on Lake powell

OC Mike

Reaction score
Sounds like FUN!!!
We need pictures, or it didn't happen.....

P.S. Yes, camp food always tastes good.....

Water Romper

Reaction score
Im thinking the steaks with the pre bagged veggies, I like the spaghetti and meatballs already cooked in a zip lock idea too, easy peasy. Looking to camp sometime in July and if it is fun, several times after, its so darn cheap here, camping is free and its 5 bucks to launch. Heading to the lake for day trips sooner, doing the carpet and lower unit at the moment, hope to have it done this weekend. Lots of "free" campsites for you Idaho folks, it would be a blast to have the RDP crew and family's camp side by side, they are first come first serve, each site has its own dock, table, firepit and shelter, flat area for tents, NO TOILETS, NO WATER . Ill get pictures of the "Lay of the land" and post them, I have NOT seen them up close, hope I'm not disappointed. BTW, the sites from what I can tell are NOT on top of each other, they are spaced a good distance apart, again, things may be different when I look up close.

Last edited: