WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hey Dan @H20 Toie got some news to share?!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
They're a bit tight. I'm 6' 220. You step down and duck to get down in there. There's only like 5' head room in the cabin. And I will say, I'm not a huge fan of the newer Cigarette cabins. They're sparse and really just made to store stuff or grab a drink out of the cooler. With a Lip-Ship Edition such as Dans new boat, Phil (lipshutz) does a custom forward cabin that is really cool. No bed/vee birth (because 99% of cig owners dont over night in them) so where the vee birth would be, there's a zippered flap for privacy and inside that area you can opt for lounges (like mini beds) on the port and starboard side with a porta-potty in the center so it's a make shift bathroom / changing room) or you can opt, like Dans boat is, for storage bins and by the bulk head and two smaller bench seats on the port and starboard. It's a little private area in the bow essentially and a cool thing Phil does. People ask why you pay a little more for a "Lip-Ship" Cigarette and its stuff like that plus attention to detail Phil has.

But yea, Once you get down there in the cabin and sit down it's comfy, but bending over walking around is a PITA.
Sounds like a good candidate for bow rider modification.... I know, I know.... its just all that wasted space irks me when I could have the honeys out tanning.:p Regardless, its nice to see a new SoCal Speedboat Club starting up again after so many years. Sure hope Big Dan ain't scared of the salt. He strikes me as a fearless type.

Tank

Reaction score

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
What a great looking boat, congrats on taking a few steps back and one giant leap forward.

How would one usually get back into the boat after swimming?

Tank

Reaction score
Tank/ Dan.... what would you guess are the appx lengths of those opposing lounge couches in this configuration? Trying to get a bit of scale. Thanks.
Can they fit, say 2 adults..... laying down?

The ones up front are 6' long I'd say. You can lay down. the ones in the "mid cabin" that look like seats are probably 5' long
Like I said, Phil will also do a lounge bench on each side if you'd prefer up front instead of the storage boxes / bench like on dans.
front portion that is through the cigarette oval vinyl zipper portion (past the 42X is usually open unfinished glass or carpeted hull for more storage) -

2B23E463-4685-454C-9708-8649478DDBF0.jpeg

Mid cabin - on the right is a decent size cooler, left is locking storage cabinets.

C2F29FBE-69D0-4605-9B52-237C25930198.jpeg

These are the other two ways you can have it set up.

With a vee birth up front

1574353656P1020169.jpg

Or with the two lounges, no storage boxes.
these are all through that second bulkhead after the drivers helm bulk. You can see how massive the bulkheads are from the pic above.

1392172470P1000135.jpg

Reactions: DWC

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Is Jeff on his way??
He can lay over at my place with good BBQ
Let him know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
No it is getting shipped up to Cumberland and then he will pick it up there and bring out west

Tank

Reaction score
What a great looking boat, congrats on taking a few steps back and one giant leap forward.

The NXT's cav plate sticks out like a #6. You can step on it and on the tie rod, right up onto the swim step. Actually easier than a pull down ladder frankly.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score

Just stand on the drive and get on the swim step

oops Tank beat me to it

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
The ones up front are 6' long I'd say. You can lay down. the ones in the "mid cabin" that look like seats are probably 5' long
Like I said, Phil will also do a lounge bench on each side if you'd prefer up front instead of the storage boxes / bench like on dans.
front portion that is through the cigarette oval vinyl zipper portion (past the 42X is usually open unfinished glass or carpeted hull for more storage) -

View attachment 1042317

Mid cabin - on the right is a decent size cooler, left is locking storage cabinets.

View attachment 1042318

View attachment 1042322

these are all through that second bulkhead after the drivers helm bulk. You can see how massive the bulkheads are from the pic above.

View attachment 1042323

And here i thought that portion in front of the logo was "powder" coated on those boats. Who knew 🤷🤷

Tank

Reaction score
And here i thought that portion in front of the logo was "powder" coated on those boats. Who knew 🤷🤷
Sometimes it's awlgrip heavy paint. Sometimes its finished with matching carpet. Sometimes its raw fiberglass (though they don't do that much any more).

traquer

Reaction score
Awesome boat! I love it, I really do. Some reasons why:

- Blue is my fav color
- The cockpit looks great, I especially love the trim that was added to house the GPS units (nothing uglier than bolt on GPS and fishfinders left and right)
- It's a Cigarette
- The engines
- Stabbin cabin, spacious stabbin cabin

Tank

Reaction score
Just don’t slip off the cav plate and cut your toes off on those cleavers.

Had that happen on our Top Gun. Didn't cut it off but DAMN was it a deep cut and wouldn't stop bleeding. Them cleavers are SHARP!!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

View attachment 1042317

View attachment 1042318

View attachment 1042322

View attachment 1042323
Thanks Tank.... man all that beautiful extra room on a 42'. I caught your comment on fact that most Cig guys aren't gonna sleep on these. Lots of tossing about .... no mattter what angle I'd position bow mine always seemed to get itself sideways to swell pitching like mad. Even if just killing everything drifting a bit in ocean to get off throttles for a smoke break and cocktail. Very narrow hulls. Im just thinking of my buddies 42' Carver and how frigging big it is.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Thanks Tank.... man all that beautiful extra room on a 42'. I caught your comment on fact that most Cig guys aren't gonna sleep on these. Lots of tossing about .... no mattter what angle I'd position bow mine always seemed to get itself sideways to swell pitching like mad. Even if just killing everything drifting a bit in ocean to get off throttles for a smoke break and cocktail. Very narrow hulls. Im just thinking of my buddies 42' Carver and how frigging big it is.
I slept on my 35' Cig a couple of times and nothing relaxing about it, the Formula 400SS oh hell yeah,. slept on that a lot, but not on the Cig

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I slept on my 35' Cig a couple of times and nothing relaxing about it, the Formula 400SS oh hell yeah,. slept on that a lot, but not on the Cig
So given where you live where do you think you'll do most of your boating? I see this is your second Cig so I'm sure you know your rhythms..... seems like Tankster runs a lot of river and a bit of ocean. You guys live somewhat close so do you launch from Oxnard when feeling salty if jumping over to Catalina overnight.... or if feeling a bit more "lengthy" is it the Newport or Long Beach launches that might take you down to San Diego for overnights at Marriott, etc... ? I get the feeling both you guys have done it all over the years....

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Just don’t slip off the cav plate and cut your toes off on those cleavers.

This. We get back on ours from the side using the trim tabs. Stepping on the drives and putting your feet or anything else near the cleavers is not a good idea.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
So given where you live where do you think you'll do most of your boating? I see this is your second Cig so I'm sure you know your rhythms..... seems like Tankster runs a lot of river and a bit of ocean. You guys live somewhat close so do you launch from Oxnard when feeling salty if jumping over to Catalina overnight.... or if feeling a bit more "lengthy" is it the Newport or Long Beach launches that might take you down to San Diego for overnights at Marriott, etc... ? I get the feeling both you guys have done it all over the years....
This is my 3rd cig, a 35' then 38' now a 42' except for the last 6 years i have had a boat since i was 17, i'm 62 now, until i bought my first cig in 2005 i had lake boats, The Cig opened up a whole new world to me, not just because of running in the ocean but the people i have met, I now have good friends all over the country because of a boat, i lived down the street from Tank for 10 years and from Oxnard mostly it was running around Anacapa island over to Ventura, few trips down to Catalina or long beach, once in awhile do a Newport lunch run, usually if going anyplace south of Long beach then would trailer down and launch from Long beach to Dana point, Lots of trips to Havasu
The thing about the cigs was that the sky is the limit, they are small enough to run Havasu, Castaic lake, Mead, Powell, California Delta, Lake of the Ozarks etc, easy to trailer and launch, yet big enough to run in the open ocean, One of my favorite runs is Miami to Key west poker run been doing it since 2006 and the miami boat show poker run,

I would say summer time was more lake stuff, winter is for the ocean, the boat never sits for long, i don't think i ever went a month that i didn't go out after i got the first Cig, I guess its just that they are so flexible what ever comes up you can do, until i got a cig the farthest i ever went boating was Powell, now i have boated across the country, as far away as Boston ,Key West, Grand Lake OK, LOTO, Destin,fl, Next week Lake Cumberland who knows what other adventures are coming

But i must say the best part about it has been the great people i have met,

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
This. We get back on ours from the side using the trim tabs. Stepping on the drives and putting your feet or anything else near the cleavers is not a good idea.
Thats probably a good idea

Tank

Reaction score
I second what Dan said. I grew up on the ocean in so cal and have boated the pacific since I had my first rib at 11. Bought my first offshore boat at 21. Bought our top gun at 31 And now we have the cafe. The diversity of a big vee is what is the best. It gets ROUGH up here frequently. I want a big heavy offshore vee when I’m in that shit. But I also enjoy boating on havasu and now a days the simple fact is a 35-38’ boat is average size on havasu. But again the big vees are nice even on the lakes because The cabins (in the older models like ours) is soooooo usable. We still boat 75% in the ocean but while our boat is getting updated it’s been living in havasu. Once it’s done we’ll be boating out front here in the ocean the vast majority of the time again - runs to the islands,inch runs to Santa Barbara. Runs down the Malibu coast. Runs over to Catalina etc. But again, like Dan said, being able to jump back and forth and really boat Any body of water virtually anywhere is a major advantage.

DWC

Reaction score
They're a bit tight. I'm 6' 220. You step down and duck to get down in there. There's only like 5' head room in the cabin. And I will say, I'm not a huge fan of the newer Cigarette cabins. They're sparse and really just made to store stuff or grab a drink out of the cooler. With a Lip-Ship Edition such as Dans new boat, Phil (lipshutz) does a custom forward cabin that is really cool. No bed/vee birth (because 99% of cig owners dont over night in them) so where the vee birth would be, there's a zippered flap for privacy and inside that area you can opt for lounges (like mini beds) on the port and starboard side with a porta-potty in the center so it's a make shift bathroom / changing room) or you can opt, like Dans boat is, for storage bins and by the bulk head and two smaller bench seats on the port and starboard. It's a little private area in the bow essentially and a cool thing Phil does. People ask why you pay a little more for a "Lip-Ship" Cigarette and its stuff like that plus attention to detail Phil has.

But yea, Once you get down there in the cabin and sit down it's comfy, but bending over walking around is a PITA.
IDK. Doesn’t sound that bad down there. :cool:

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Thats probably a good idea

Give it a shot. Our swim step (the exact same one you have) only sits a couple of inches above the water line, so it works well for us. Yours might be a little different, but all it takes is one slip to really screw up your trip - and potentially future trips.

Nice boat, by the way. I recently joined the, "Very large vees with cleavers" club too.

Hammer

Reaction score
This is my 3rd cig, a 35' then 38' now a 42' except for the last 6 years i have had a boat since i was 17, i'm 62 now, until i bought my first cig in 2005 i had lake boats, The Cig opened up a whole new world to me, not just because of running in the ocean but the people i have met, I now have good friends all over the country because of a boat, i lived down the street from Tank for 10 years and from Oxnard mostly it was running around Anacapa island over to Ventura, few trips down to Catalina or long beach, once in awhile do a Newport lunch run, usually if going anyplace south of Long beach then would trailer down and launch from Long beach to Dana point, Lots of trips to Havasu
The thing about the cigs was that the sky is the limit, they are small enough to run Havasu, Castaic lake, Mead, Powell, California Delta, Lake of the Ozarks etc, easy to trailer and launch, yet big enough to run in the open ocean, One of my favorite runs is Miami to Key west poker run been doing it since 2006 and the miami boat show poker run,

I would say summer time was more lake stuff, winter is for the ocean, the boat never sits for long, i don't think i ever went a month that i didn't go out after i got the first Cig, I guess its just that they are so flexible what ever comes up you can do, until i got a cig the farthest i ever went boating was Powell, now i have boated across the country, as far away as Boston ,Key West, Grand Lake OK, LOTO, Destin,fl, Next week Lake Cumberland who knows what other adventures are coming

I second what Dan said. I grew up on the ocean in so cal and have boated the pacific since I had my first rib at 11. Bought my first offshore boat at 21. Bought our top gun at 31 And now we have the cafe. The diversity of a big vee is what is the best. It gets ROUGH up here frequently. I want a big heavy offshore vee when I’m in that shit. But I also enjoy boating on havasu and now a days the simple fact is a 35-38’ boat is average size on havasu. But again the big vees are nice even on the lakes because The cabins (in the older models like ours) is soooooo usable. We still boat 75% in the ocean but while our boat is getting updated it’s been living in havasu. Once it’s done we’ll be boating out front here in the ocean the vast majority of the time again - runs to the islands,inch runs to Santa Barbara. Runs down the Malibu coast. Runs over to Catalina etc. But again, like Dan said, being able to jump back and forth and really boat Any body of water virtually anywhere is a major advantage.

I’ve always thought I’d want a CIG one day… I want one even more now! [emoji41]

Tank

Reaction score
Thinking a Hallett 300-T
NICE!! And yes, that boat will handle pretty much whatever you throw at it. Might feel a little small in 5 footers off shore but really, that type of water isn't that much fun in anything you run unless you're in a 47' Apache or 50 Cig with FU money to beat the shit out of it. LOL

Did he get RD's old Hallet?

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Such great points Dan. I see you've creeped up in Cig size over the years..... as far as boating out of Oxnard I always forget that area must have significant wind conditions as I look on a map now. Down in Newport we tuck under it for the most part. It figures you & Tank would often elect to trailer down to LongBeach. As to the size of Tanks & your Cigs it really makes sense about the easy trailering pretty much anywhere you can dream of to go explore. It sounds like you are fully prepared to use this new one all over the place and I for one will be grateful to watch from here as you go. Happy for you and whatever you do don't let this new beautiful purchase change your late night posts on RDP.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Actually I was planning on buying another 38’
I think it is the perfect size for the type of boating I do
But when the 42 came up I had to go for it, I assume there will be times. I wish I had a 38 but from talking to people who have gone from the 38 to 42 not one of them has regretted the change

I actually saw this boat when it was brand new before being delivered and had joked about it
And how maybe 20 years from now maybe it would deprecate enough that I could buy it but I would be to old to enjoy it
I still can’t believe that I own it
Devin Wozencraft really came thru with financing that I never thought would happen and at way better rate than I expected

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Actually I was planning on buying another 38’
I think it is the perfect size for the type of boating I do
But when the 42 came up I had to go for it, I assume there will be times. I wish I had a 38 but from talking to people who have gone from the 38 to 42 not one of them has regretted the change

I actually saw this boat when it was brand new before being delivered and had joked about it
And how maybe 20 years from now maybe it would deprecate enough that I could buy it but I would be to old to enjoy it
I still can’t believe that I own it
Devin Wozencraft really came thru with financing that I never thought would happen and at way better rate than I expected
I had a similar experience back when I enetered boating in 2005. I wasn't sure if it was for me so started with a 23' runaboat I spotted at the LA boat show. It was a Caravelle Interceptor w/ 350 Mag and was an ideal starter I trailered everywhere out west. But I recall seeing Magic and their booth had a 30' Wizard that I sat in thinking I'd like to get this if I found boating to be fun later.... sure enough I landed on a 2006 Wizard years later paying what I bought new 23' for in '05. Funny how these things work out.

Icky

Reaction score
It looks alot smaller in person 😁
20210826_125126.jpg

Last edited: