WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hey Delta peeps....

H2O

Reaction score
Thinking about taking our first trip to the Delta in a couple of weeks.

Found a nice (permanently docked) houseboat to rent in Walnut Grove, and can tie off my boat overnight, so I guess thats where we'll stay.

Looking for boating suggestions....best places explore, places to avoid, etc.

Probably looking to make some longer run in the AM, etc. and suggestions for more remote places to float, chill and swim during the heat of the day.

i.e is running up the Sacramento River toward a Sacramento a good run? are there places that have more debris-hazards to avoid, or is that common through-out the Delta?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Last edited:

brgrcru

Reaction score
Get a delta map
Mostly 12/30 feet deep
Watch for stuff floating in water .

Walnut Good place to stay
Little ice cream store in walnut grove
Go north up the sac , usually super smooth until steam boat slough . If your doing any water sports .
Very few boats .
You could go through steam boat . Couple 5 mph zones but a nice cruise . All the way to deep water . Once out of steam boat . Go left and left again back Into sac River again . Make sure you go between ship markers .You can stop at Vieras resort for gas ice snacks .

a run all the way to sacramento. Is a good run . Leave early, have lunch . Enjoy ride back . Again plenty of 5 mph zones.

From walnut go through locks head to gustis or wimpys , you could head down the mokulume towards tower park . from there . You have many places to check out .

There is so much to see and miles of river to explore .
Not a lot of beaches . So mostly floating and swimming
I'll let others add .

We usualy stay on the sac River , between Vieras and walnut at Vieras resort . We like to ski and board . Beengoing there for 55 years .

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
The place is a fkn maze! Get a map, and get Navionics on your phone or tablet! Stay out of Frank’s Tract.

Post a good map on here, and let the Delta boys draw on it for you.

KingofBeers

Reaction score
What kind of boat do you have? The Delta is a big place and depending on how fast you are able to run will determine what you can do or see in a reasonable day. GPS is your friend out there. Good news is you get pretty good cell service almost anywhere on the Delta. Run up to Sacramento and hang at Swabbies for some food and drink. On the way there or back you can pull into the American River right near Discovery Park Launch Ramp and toss an anchor for a couple hrs. The Sac area will be pretty busy on the weekend though. Current can get swift up there also so be aware.

tonyoverthere

Reaction score
Definitely follow GPS. If you head South, Windmill Cove is a nice place to dock and have food. They also usually have live music on weekends. Their dock is sheltered but their dining tables are up on a ledge overlooking the main channel of the San Joaquin river so you can watch all the boats, including the occasional massive cargo ships, go by.

H2O

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips...appreciate it.

- Forgot about Navionics, going to download that to my phone
- Ordered a map, to keep it old school too.
- I have a Checkmate with a 300xs
so bad news = optimal cruise speed only around 45mph (70 max)
good news = can cover well over 220 miles on a tank of gas (at cruise speed)

Last edited:

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Remember if u go to Sac, the 5mph zones going up river are long because of current. Swabbies is awesome but not much docking under the bridge, get there early.
Going downriver from Walnut Grove, stop at the Pointe in Rio Vista. Check wind forecasts before you make your plan if going to and or thru Rio Vista, it can get real big wind chop.
Tonys in Walnut Grove has great food. Giustis is fun stop & great food. Georgiana slough is pretty & has a few beaches depending on tide.
B&W Resort has 24 hr gas pumps & hav 91 octane
Be careful & have fun

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Rusty Porthole is a local favorite. Owner Kimmie is a complete smart-ass along with several waitress but great food & incredible bloody marys

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
If you feel adventurous & wind/tide cooperate a run to Benicia and or Napa or Petaluma or SF Bay is fantastic. Pittsburg Marina has 91 octane & don't count on finding 91 anywhere in Bay.
I'd be more than happy to help with wind & tide charts, spent 6+ years in Benicia & ran several thousand mile around the area by water.
Suisun has some incredible Mexican food