WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hey gear heads, which carburetor?

HotRod82

Reaction score
My uncles 57 GMC needs a new 4bbl carb. The truck is completely stock with a 347 Pontiac BB, so I don't need anything performance oriented. Just need a smooth running 600 with a manual choke. Thoughts? Experiences? Edelbrock, Holley? or ??? Thanks ..

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
My uncles 57 GMC needs a new 4bbl carb. The truck is completely stock with a 347 Pontiac BB, so I don't need anything performance oriented. Just need a smooth running 600 with a manual choke. Thoughts? Experiences? Edelbrock, Holley? or ??? Thanks ..

Any are good really. I have a quickfuel on my Fairlane that does really well. its a Holley style carb, owned by Holley, billet metering blocks, and half the price of a Holley🤷‍♂️

rrrr

Reaction score
A good mix of performance and value are the Holley factory refurbished carburetors. This 600 CFM carb has vacuum secondaries, which will provide a true bolt on solution with the best drivability manners. It's $279, about half the cost of new.

It's not the manual choke model, but a conversation with their online customer support will point you to one that has it. Your uncle could also install the electric choke model and convert the choke pull handle on the dash to an ejection seat initiator.

😁

Stand by for someone to recommend EFI or a 750 CFM double pumper.

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
A good mix of performance and value are the Holley factory refurbished carburetors. This 600 CFM carb has vacuum secondaries, which will provide a true bolt on solution with the best drivability manners.

Stand by for someone to recommend EFI or a 750 CFM double pumper.

first response! 🤣🤣

heres what I have. looks like they bumped the price since I bught it a little while ago.
Screenshot_20221102-123842_Chrome.jpg

fst has had good reviews lately too
Screenshot_20221102-123758_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Rochester? AFB? Carter?
Bolt patterns

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

The new edelbrocks are solid. Probably be my first choice for this application.

Holly? Pass. Go with Quick Fuel if you want that style of carb, but it will probably be a Lot more money.

Is this a spreadbore manifold by any chance??

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I went with a Quick fuel for the last one I bought. I like the Edelbrocks but the accelerator pumps kept drying out from the gas. QF i could take a bowl screw out and drain gas if car was going to sit awhile.

HotRod82

Reaction score

Holly? Pass. Go with Quick Fuel if you want that style of carb, but it will probably be a Lot more money.

yes, spread bore.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
yes, spread bore.

From a quick Google search it looks like Only Holly makes a direct bolt on replacement.

You'll need to add an adapter plate to run a square bore carb on a spreadbore intake.

Not a big deal really, just check the fitment Very carefully. Not all adaptor plates fit correctly!

You might have some linkage issues as well with the adapter plate, but nothing that can't be overcome. You'll have to use a different fuel feed set up as well. You probably have a solid steel line at the moment?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I'll be the 8th person to recommend......

Get a new 650 vacuum secondary holly or equivalent 4150 style.
Adapter from square to spread bore.

Edelbrock or Carter AFB 600 are reliable but good luck with that awesome hiccup at throttle tip-in......
I'm not a fan of them, never have been. Like for Like cfm VS 4150 style carbs, they don't make the same power either. All CFM's are not created equal......despite saying they are the same cfm.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Edelbrock, ran those for years on anything I had the used a gas passer.

rrrr

Reaction score

Edelbrock or Carter AFB 600 are reliable but good luck with that awesome hiccup at throttle tip-in......
I'm not a fan of them, never have been. Like for Like cfm VS 4150 style carbs, they don't make the same power either. All CFM's are not created equal......despite saying they are the same cfm.
Some people swear the AFB (that's an acronym for aluminum four barrel, first used in the 1950s) is a better carb and easier to tune. I disagree. Dealing with both metering rods and jet opening sizes of the AFB style, it's possible to spend money and time chasing drivability issues that will never be fully resolved.

The Holley 4160 series carbs are dead nuts simple. Adjustments to tip in and fuel flow are straightforward and easily accomplished. There are volumes of user generated tech tips and performance.studies on the internet. I run a Holley squarebore 4160 style carb on the 352 cubic inch FE in my 1966 Ford F-100. Dialing it in and maintaining good performance was easy.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
if it is just a cruiser, put a 1406 edelbrock on it and leave it alone. Don't waste time or money on a sniper.
This ^^^^^^ I dont Use EDe's for boats but they are sufficiant for door slammers , I probably got a half dozen kicking around here if you need one (we use them for wheel chocks) (JK)

Attachments

• IMG-4785.jpg
    IMG-4785.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

They Definitely take more effort (and experience) to tune than a Holley.

I'm going say the QFT carbs have the Best out of the box drivability hands down. They just freaking work. 👍🏼

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Hell, any of them would be a good choice. As stated if using an adapter plate you may need to do some work on the throttle linkage. Wouldn't be hard to convert to an electric choke either

HotRod82

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I haven't bought a new carb in decades which is why I threw the question out there. Honestly sounds like nothing has changed much. I'm trying to sell my uncles's 57 for him, it needs to be cleaned up a bit and get it running a little better. Now, it's one of those old rigs you have to know it to be able to drive it. Starts a certain way, runs like total shit until it's warmed up, has a hesitation here or there depending on how you shift it, etc. etc. I'm hoping a new carb, ignition, and a full tune up will smooth it out a bit and make it more attractive to potential buyers. Now all I need is to find the time to actually work on it.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I had two Edelbrocks over the last ten years. One was on a 65 Caddie, the other on a hot rod. Both would boil the fuel out of the carbs after a drive, and flood the motor. It’s a known issue. Yea people say run a phenolic spacer..... I just ran a new carb. Stick to a small Holley and be done with it.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
They Definitely take more effort (and experience) to tune than a Holley.

I'm going say the QFT carbs have the Best out of the box drivability hands down. They just freaking work. 👍🏼
By effort / experience you mean - “learn to Drive around the flat spot”

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I had two Edelbrocks over the last ten years. One was on a 65 Caddie, the other on a hot rod. Both would boil the fuel out of the carbs after a drive, and flood the motor. It’s a known issue. Yea people say run a phenolic spacer..... I just ran a new carb. Stick to a small Holley and be done with it.
Yes!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Some people swear the AFB (that's an acronym for aluminum four barrel, first used in the 1950s) is a better carb and easier to tune. I disagree. Dealing with both metering rods and jet opening sizes of the AFB style, it's possible to spend money and time chasing drivability issues that will never be fully resolved.

The Holley 4160 series carbs are dead nuts simple. Adjustments to tip in and fuel flow are straightforward and easily accomplished. There are volumes of user generated tech tips and performance.studies on the internet. I run a Holley squarebore 4160 style carb on the 352 cubic inch FE in my 1966 Ford F-100. Dialing it in and maintaining good performance was easy.
I thought AFB stood for - “Always fuckin boggin”
The 3-1 kickdown is something you just need patience for…..the deceleration while you wait for it to snap back to life as it gasps for lack of pump shot also gives you a false sense of acceleration as it picks back up 😂

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Show me your boxes of AFB metering rods. I’ll wait…..

I had a whole tool box full of just carb parts I put together at JMS. You name it, we had it. For any carb you can think of.

I also built a bitchin carb rebuild table out of white Corian. Routered in a nice drip grove all around the edge. Nice bright lights just above it.

The tool box and bench sits right outside the Dyno room still...

Beings I'm retired, I can't just walk over there and get pics, just to pacify You! 🤣

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Show me your boxes of AFB metering rods. I’ll wait…..
How long will you wait? They’re in the box with QJ rods. Pretty sure my brother has them. FACTORY variable taper, robbed from all the carbs in pic your part. You know waayyyy back when they had that sort of thing.😮

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

Edelbrock 100%. I put a slew of them on Volvo Pentas back in the day and never had a problem. The first thing I'd do with a Holly is throw it in the trash unless less it was a pair of 660 center squirters!!!!!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
How long will you wait? They’re in the box with QJ rods. Pretty sure my brother has them. FACTORY variable taper, robbed from all the carbs in pic your part. You know waayyyy back when they had that sort of thing.😮

Or you can just go buy em...

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Ahh quadrajets…..cue the Pontiac guys - they love them some performance Q-Jets!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I also built a bitchin carb rebuild table out of white Corian. Routered in a nice drip grove all around the edge. Nice bright lights just above it.

The tool box and bench sits right outside the Dyno room still...

Beings I'm retired, I can't just walk over there and get pics, just to pacify You! 🤣
I’ll give you that they are reliable. Reliably slow!
If you want something you can run with a rusty fuel tank and a cheap clear plastic fuel filter - that’s your carb. They always work. They are also always down on power compared to a like sized 4150 carb.

99%* of them have a flat spot, boil fuel when hot and have a major bog when the mechanical secondaries kick in. The other 1%…well….. you have seen and tuned
1667450916895.png

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’ll give you that they are reliable. Reliably slow!
If you want something you can run with a rusty fuel tank and a cheap clear plastic fuel filter - that’s your carb. They always work. They are also always down on power compared to a like sized 4150 carb.

99%* of them have a flat spot, boil fuel when hot and have a major bog when the mechanical secondaries kick in. The other 1%…well….. you have seen and tuned View attachment 1168859

You're like the media...

You think if say it enough times, it will be true! 🤣

P. S. Boiling Anything, is a result of the temperature of the container, the liquid is in. There is NO mystical property that allows a liquid to boil sooner in one container rather than another!

You can put the shovel down any ol time...

🤣 😉

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
It's been a while since we've had a good religious war thread over carburators... LOL.

I had an AFB on my Cutlass and daily drove it in Tucson, in the summer. Nothing ever boiled (other than me since it didn't have AC).
Had another on my 85 Chevy pickup with a BBC. Drove it for years in Colorado in all types of weather and it worked great.

The first thing I'd do when I bought a new vehicle would be to order a new Edelbrock carb for it from Summit.

Never experienced any flat spots or bogs when accelerating. Maybe if I took it to a track the time slips would tell but my ass never could.

So you have two camps, Holley and Edelbrock/AFB. Both do the same thing. Every once in a while one of mad monks from the Qjet reservation wonders into town and tries to convert the heathens. LOL...

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Edelbrock 100%. I put a slew of them on Volvo Pentas back in the day and never had a problem. The first thing I'd do with a Holly is throw it in the trash unless less it was a pair of 660 center squirters!!!!!
Is this the place to say I have a pair of 660’s for sale?
4224’s

sml

Reaction score
I recently went with quick fuel black diamond slayer series carb (450). At the time when i had to order what i needed for my build, holley or edelbrock weren’t in stock anywhere.

hman442

Reaction score
Won't it have to have the ugly adapter plate to install an aftermarket carb? Have we ruled out rebuilding the original?

Nordie

Reaction score
This debate is funny, it's all in the carb tuning. Holleys are pretty easy to tune, the quadrajet stuff isn't really that difficult either. We're talking about a 250HP engine that probably doesn't even use 600CFM.

I'm a little disappointed in you guys. You should of had the OP ordering a new aluminum intake and a Holley 750 double pumper.

You can get a remanufactured Holley 650 spread bore, or get one of the quadrajets from edelbrock, 600-650cfm.

ibelio

Reaction score
said he has original just rebuild it if you know how

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
You're like the media...

You think if say it enough times, it will be true! 🤣

P. S. Boiling Anything, is a result of the temperature of the container, the liquid is in. There is NO mystical property that allows a liquid to boil sooner in one container rather than another!

You can put the shovel down any ol time...

🤣 😉
You act like I haven’t ran 20 of each type lol…
They have their place…..but it ain’t on the top of anything fast 👍

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You act like I haven’t ran 20 of each type lol…
They have their place…..but it ain’t on the top of anything fast 👍

Still at it with that shovel eh??

China awaits your arrival. Won't be much longer now. 👍🏼😁