WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HEY-LAM...BOUGHT A NEW RV!!!!

Enen

Reaction score
ever think about starting your own RV company with all you've learned about them over the years? or are people mainly concerned about price point and not functionality/quality/design

THIS! You should offer a consulting and inspection service for people looking to buy coaches. Hell, you could offer remodeling as well.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
yes, old guy thread...

the place I bought this one was blowing out the 2018's... I would have bought one but they only had 2019 29l's... they have a 31 bunk bed model for 69,999...lol... I was gonna gut it and put everything out in the yard and start over...Sue talked me out of that idea...

• Length 31'10"
  • Exterior Height 1 12'
  • Exterior Width 2 8'5"
  • Exterior Storage 3 (cu. ft.) 87
  • Awning Length 24'
  • Interior Height 7'
  • Interior Width 8'
  • Freshwater Tank Capacity 4 (gal.) 48
  • Water Heater Capacity (gal.) 6
  • Holding Tank Capacity - Black/Gray 4 (gal.) 35/40
  • LP Capacity 5 (lbs.) 60*
  • Fuel Capacity (gal.) 80
  • GCWR 6 (lbs.) 23,000
  • GVWR (lbs.) 18,000
  • GAWR - Front (lbs.) 7,000
  • GAWR - Rear (lbs.) 12,000
  • Wheelbase 208"
  • Seating Capacity 7
v31p18.jpg

Entrance Door Cab
Link to the 69,999 bunkhouse model please

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

squeezer

Reaction score
I saw the first post and actually thought you were joking... That is one ugly damm coach!!!

WTF are some of the designers thinking theses days anyway?

The floor mod is cool, did something similar on a Provan Tiger we used to have. It’s like adding two feet to the length as the seats will actually get used.

How can you own this grade of coach after owning the Alpine? Honest question as I am tired of being the only driver in the house and am considering selling the Foretravel and downsizing to something my wife will drive...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I saw the first post and actually thought you were joking... That is one ugly damm coach!!!

WTF are some of the designers thinking theses days anyway?

The floor mod is cool, did something similar on a Provan Tiger we used to have. It’s like adding two feet to the length as the seats will actually get used.

How can you own this grade of coach after owning the Alpine? Honest question as I am tired of being the only driver in the house and am considering selling the Foretravel and downsizing to something my wife will drive...
here's the deal,..they're fuc'n junk and poor poor quality control,the cabinets are press board with vinyl covering...no attention to detail anywhere...but... it was the same with the pace arrow...all the coach's (gas) all are on fords... so they are all the same, ride the same and make the same noise..but… heres the deal.. we use it to go off road... real tears come out my eyes taking a nice road DP down the ruff ass dirt road to get to amagosa dunes.... on the pace arrow I though for sure I had knocked a hole in the oil pan,... and it was twisting so bad that I thought the windshield was gonna pop out....so I went and bought a 2002 Winnebago, on the work horse chassis ..8.1 gas motor, got over 10 mpg going to havasu and back... went through the whole coach, bilstien shocks, built a truss on the rear frame to up the hitch to 15k and added sumo springs..took the front tube tv out , re did the over head cabinet to put a 43'' tv... looks factory and you can still open the cabinet doors...added a 32'' to the bedroom with an inverter so you can watch tv with out running the gen..detailed the shit out of the inside with a tooth brush..took it to the dunes.... awesome!!!!everything worked as it should....talked my wife into selling the pace.... but I needed to trade it in to save my tax credit..wife wanted a coach with a dinette and sofa....the winne doesn't have a sofa...so we traded in the pace for the intent.. the intent pretty much drives like a van, and my wife will drive it... it's one of the shortest coaches on the 190'' wheel base... it has the same over hang as the 26' and the stretch to 29 is between the wheels..being that it has only one slide almost full Leith make it only about 800 lbs heaver..if I have to, i'll gut the whole fucker and put new cabinettes, as one of the mods i'm gonna to do is gut the bedroom and re do it with a king size bed.... that's what I had to do with the pace..

I don't understand what they were thinking with the queen bed and and 5'4'' dinette... the room is there... go big or go home.... right...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
My 29 A C E is exactly the same, Did you move the bathroom wall ? How did you make the space bigger ?
the dinettes are modular, and the basic design was 2' for each seat, and 2' for the table making the total 6', the ace has a 68'' dinette.. but there is a pony wall on the door side... pull your cushions, and the plywood seat off and look whats under there...and what they did as far as cutting through the back of the dinette...when you move the seat base, and the ponywall,you should get it out to 72''...use a lot of care taking it apart so you have the paneling to finish out the door side of the seat base..most of the time rvs have all the exterior wals in , then they add the interior... same with the flooring, it goes in first …. most of the time...

another thing, yeah.. it looks cool with the hard floor in the front... but with that you get engine heat and noise.... so, mines gonna be quiet.. with 2 layers of pad and carpet...and big enough to rest your feet when you spin the seats...the people that design these things think they are god and won't change a bad design,,, the big reason these are hard to sell? queen bed, 5' dinette and 5' sofa..
I only sleep 2 in my rv cause my wife won't let me have a girlfriend, raised 4 kids already , and they have their own motorhomes... but we have a trip planned for parker and my sister from phoenix wants to stay with us....I told her she's too tall to sleep in our new RV.... shes 5'2''.....lol her titties are like 40's so when she sleeps on her side they will be either rubbing on the wall, or hanging off the side of the bed...she called me cry'n about how she fell going down the steps on her fifth wheel.... I told her... it's not the fifth wheel steps, it's cause she can't watch her step, cause she can't see her feet..she was on the phone, I said stand up and look at you feet, can't see them can you....she screamed... I can't see my feet!!!!!...lol

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
one of the things that happen when you move the seat bases, it makes the table too small to fold down to a bed..on mine they made the seats only 22'' wide, and the table 20''... so moved there is 30'' now... but layed out all the cushions measure 72'' so they now fit perfect... what I did was take a piece of 1' thick plywood 30'' x 40'' and cut it down the center and put a piano hinge. so it folds and stores in the close floor...with it stock you sit too close to the person in front of you and no room for your feet...with it wider you will have to go to a 30'' table that would put it right back to having the table in your chest to tight.. the other thing you can do is just cut some 1x4's for the drop down table to sit on...and just store the under the seats..

Raffit78

Reaction score
Congrats Steve,

Love the new coach and love the upgrades already. The Thor Ace I got, has carpet in the front. It’s love and hate. I like the look of all wood throughout and was thinking about making that switch. Is the wood floors in the cab increasing the road noise enough to be a distraction?

We’ve been enjoying our Ace quite a bit. Thanks again for all of your advice.

Congrats again. Subscribed, can’t wait to see all the upgrades.

Just noticed. Some of your pics aren’t working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
here's the deal,..they're fuc'n junk and poor poor quality control,the cabinets are press board with vinyl covering...no attention to detail anywhere...but... it was the same with the pace arrow...all the coach's (gas) all are on fords... so they are all the same, ride the same and make the same noise..but… heres the deal.. we use it to go off road... real tears come out my eyes taking a nice road DP down the ruff ass dirt road to get to amagosa dunes.... on the pace arrow I though for sure I had knocked a hole in the oil pan,... and it was twisting so bad that I thought the windshield was gonna pop out....so I went and bought a 2002 Winnebago, on the work horse chassis ..8.1 gas motor, got over 10 mpg going to havasu and back... went through the whole coach, bilstien shocks, built a truss on the rear frame to up the hitch to 15k and added sumo springs..took the front tube tv out , re did the over head cabinet to put a 43'' tv... looks factory and you can still open the cabinet doors...added a 32'' to the bedroom with an inverter so you can watch tv with out running the gen..detailed the shit out of the inside with a tooth brush..took it to the dunes.... awesome!!!!everything worked as it should....talked my wife into selling the pace.... but I needed to trade it in to save my tax credit..wife wanted a coach with a dinette and sofa....the winne doesn't have a sofa...so we traded in the pace for the intent.. the intent pretty much drives like a van, and my wife will drive it... it's one of the shortest coaches on the 190'' wheel base... it has the same over hang as the 26' and the stretch to 29 is between the wheels..being that it has only one slide almost full Leith make it only about 800 lbs heaver..if I have to, i'll gut the whole fucker and put new cabinettes, as one of the mods i'm gonna to do is gut the bedroom and re do it with a king size bed.... that's what I had to do with the pace..

I don't understand what they were thinking with the queen bed and and 5'4'' dinette... the room is there... go big or go home.... right...
Touching a little bit on the powerplants/chassis.... Which did you like better? The Chevy workhorse setup or the Ford V10/V8 setup? Pros and cons to each?

Reaction score
e-450 chassis ? does it have any suspension upgrades ? I have a 2018 forest river class c. I have/had to install front and rear sumo springs bump stops, front and rear hellwig sway bars, and a roadmaster steering stabilizer. It actually goes where I'm pointing it now. always enjoy your rig renovations.

TCHB

Reaction score
Steve can you come to Havasu??? I have a MH project for you.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
e-450 chassis ? does it have any suspension upgrades ? I have a 2018 forest river class c. I have/had to install front and rear sumo springs bump stops, front and rear hellwig sway bars, and a roadmaster steering stabilizer. It actually goes where I'm pointing it now. always enjoy your rig renovations.
it's the f53, more like a f550 with 10 log wheels...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Congrats Steve,

Love the new coach and love the upgrades already. The Thor Ace I got, has carpet in the front. It’s love and hate. I like the look of all wood throughout and was thinking about making that switch. Is the wood floors in the cab increasing the road noise enough to be a distraction?

We’ve been enjoying our Ace quite a bit. Thanks again for all of your advice.

Congrats again. Subscribed, can’t wait to see all the upgrades.

Just noticed. Some of your pics aren’t working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the hard floors pick up a lot of road noise from the tires,, and the carpet keep the engine heat out better...you will really love the carpet in the summer....and winter as it keeps the cold out better

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
the other thing I did was where the table goes. I cut a square of 3/4 plywood and drilled a hole for the table.. I don't like the idea of trying to screw the base through two layers of pad plus carpet..I glued and screwed the block in.. so now I have 1 1/2" of wood to screw the table base to I marked where the screws go for the base..to make sure none of the others where in the way

DSC04498.JPG

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
so for the first layer I used frost king self adhesive foam wrap..twice as thick as dyna mat and way way cheeper :D plus it has a 3r rating
DSC04499.JPG
I also ripped some boards to use as tac strip for the carpet , this way just the layers of pad go to the wood, and carpet on top... that way the carpet doesn't dive down at the wall...the other way I do it is cut the pad back about an inch.. and fold the carpet over and staple it

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
next, I put the first layer of pad,... I glued it down and need to let it dry good before the next layer..

great time for a samich and a beer....maybe two

DSC04500.JPG

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
THIS! You should offer a consulting and inspection service for people looking to buy coaches. Hell, you could offer remodeling as well.
I have too much to do, I;m retired

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
What dealership did you go through if you don’t mind!

Taboma

Reaction score
Where the hell is this V-10 and how do you access it ?
Thanks for another Mod-Your-RV class !!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I love these threads . Don't ever stop and I could give 2 shits if you end up selling later.
I don't ever go in with the idea of selling, I always think.."THIS IS THE ONE!"... fuc lotta work....but it's worse to hang on to something that just aint working out... I think it's about the same for everyone...you wanna go down the road in a quiet smooth riding rv that gets 40 mpg, cruises 70 mph, goes up 8% grades in overdrive, tows 20,000 lbs, parks in a shopping center, and pops out to 50 x 100'...I don't finance toys so never buried in a payment... do a lot of home work first.. and usually get close to what I paid when I send it down the road...the price of happiness aint cheep...now throw in keeping the wife happy on the deal and it's gets pretty fuc'd up quick...I'm a van by the river type guy... she more about resorts...32 yrs together and all have been the best years of my life...she kinda keeps me in check a little … but ends up letting me do what I want...our havasu house should be finished mid week,... she really wants me to keep it cause if I sell it, she's knows I'll start another project...gotta say this... this ol body wants my toes in the sand and a beer in my hand, not up a ladder with a hammer

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Where the hell is this V-10 and how do you access it ?
Thanks for another Mod-Your-RV class !!
it's under the gray dog house engine cover.. it has a bear claw latch that you open with a long allen wrench

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I wanted to add this,.. most of you probley know this, but just in case...when you glue the pad down, make sure the pad is mesh up, if not, the pieces of foam will roll out when you put the carpet down, the jute backing grabs it and you will have lumps under the rug when you are done...I use a knee kicker to stretch the rug alittle , and staple the edges.. keeps it nice and smooth , and no waves...and yes.... I worked as a carpet layer for awhile...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
this coach has a GCWR of 23,000lbs,gvwr of 18,000, and weighs about 14'000 empty....but,... it's the same engine and trans as the highest rated one....I've gone down the road over 30k with out a problem, and this should tow a 10k trailer or boat with no problem.... and yes, I run with sizzors..

Taboma

Reaction score
Whatever happened to the Thor Vegas ? To small ? You had the pusher for long duration trips, the Vegas for quick get-aways --- so you dumped both and found a middle ground ?

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I used to work at a 'Bago dealer in the early 90's.
There was a woman that called them "Weiner Bagers" that worked in the front office.
She eventually got canned for getting caught boning a salesman in one at a show.
Good Times those 'Bagers and those 90's. Just sayin.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Whatever happened to the Thor Vegas ? To small ? You had the pusher for long duration trips, the Vegas for quick get-aways --- so you dumped both and found a middle ground ?
I sold THE alpine, bought the vegas, traded it in for the pace arrow, bought the 2002 Winnebago, them traded the pace arrow in on the new 2019 Winnebago.....if the new one works out, gonna sell the 2002... the 2002 is a way better built coach on the workhorse 8.1 chassis...

TCHB

Reaction score
I look at some of these huge slides and think about the weight on the one side of the coarch and the structural intergrity with no support for 30ft?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I sold THE alpine, bought the vegas, traded it in for the pace arrow, bought the 2002 Winnebago, them traded the pace arrow in on the new 2019 Winnebago.....if the new one works out, gonna sell the 2002... the 2002 is a way better built coach on the workhorse 8.1 chassis...

Have you tried the ultra power tune on an 8.1? I love my 8.1/ally combo in my super C.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I used to work at a 'Bago dealer in the early 90's.
There was a woman that called them "Weiner Bagers" that worked in the front office.
She eventually got canned for getting caught boning a salesman in one at a show.
Good Times those 'Bagers and those 90's. Just sayin.

My in-laws have a 76 winnie. Oddly, everywhere it says winnebageo, it’s misspelled. Just like I spelled it. Has an e before the o. I’ve never seen another one like that. Every sticker, label, etc, says winnebageo lol. Though maybe it was a knock off, but the title says Winnebago. So odd!

Sandlord

Reaction score
My in-laws have a 76 winnie. Oddly, everywhere it says winnebageo, it’s misspelled. Just like I spelled it. Has an e before the o. I’ve never seen another one like that. Every sticker, label, etc, says winnebageo lol. Though maybe it was a knock off, but the title says Winnebago. So odd!

FYI, Aspen RV in Colorado did custom interiors and conversions on RV's much like Steve. They called them Winnebageo's

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Pics and price on the 02? I'm actively looking right now. You can pm me if you want

Taboma

Reaction score

I asked (About the Vegas) because I thought with the smaller size and apparently more than adequate power for hauling a toy trailer, it would be a good rig for my wife and I should we decide to hit the road. If I recall my only concern was the tight bedroom and being more difficult to make the bed when you installed the king.
Did you like it otherwise ?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
FYI, Aspen RV in Colorado did custom interiors and conversions on RV's much like Steve. They called them Winnebageo's

Interesting! I was always curious. This one is titled as a Winnebago but all the stickers and labels say winnebageo. I wasn’t sure if Winnie effed up or what!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Hey Steve I have been looking around at Motorhomes and why are they a lot cheaper in other states than California??
mike thompsons and dennis Dillon in cal usually have the lowest prices,just gotta work them a little

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to lower the coffee table, it's tapered on both ends, so I'll have to take it to the shop and cut and tig weld it

I lowered the seat 1 1/2'', felt like riding on bar stools going down the road...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I asked (About the Vegas) because I thought with the smaller size and apparently more than adequate power for hauling a toy trailer, it would be a good rig for my wife and I should we decide to hit the road. If I recall my only concern was the tight bedroom and being more difficult to make the bed when you installed the king.
Did you like it otherwise ?
the problem with the Vegas.... wife hated it, and they put the lower hp motor...she didn't like making the bed, no dinette, and she wants both the dinette and the sofa..shower was pretty small,

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I look at some of these huge slides and think about the weight on the one side of the coarch and the structural intergrity with no support for 30ft?
the single side is almost the same weight as no slide and lighter than a double slide...the slde is only about 16'' but makes a huge differance,.. and still works good with it in..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
If anyone is shopping for an RV,almost all the under 30'rs have the bed that you have to fold in half to put the pop out in... can't sleep in the coach with the pop in...

Dalton

Reaction score
does this have the I beam suspension or solid axle? I looked in a new f650 the other day, outside/inside was modern, still had that older steering wheel though.