WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hey LAM! I Made A Custom Watch To Match The Boat (Octagonal)

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
So back in January when the square faced watch thread popped up it got me thinking about custom watches. Being a bit of a watch nerd myself and enjoying Swiss made watches, I set out to see how hard it would be to design, source, and build a custom watch to match my boat using high quality movements and parts.

Well fast forward 6 months and I finally completed this project. The first month was spent designing and finding parts to build the watch. The rest of the time was attributed to shipping delays and returns delays due to COVID.

But with all of that said, here she is! I started with a 45mm ceramic bezeled case that is a homage to the Tag Heuer Aqua racer diver. Then I filled the case with a Swiss made Selita SW220 movement (found in Swiss watches). This is a mechanical movement not a quartz movement so the second hand sweeps across the dial face instead of the ticking of a quartz watch.

After that I designed the dial by using the Renegade Powerboat logo and had a man from Jakarta Indonesia hand paint the dial with lume for nighttime use (see video of that process).

Finally the hands were chosen from an Omega diver watch and the second hand that was unique to any watch I’ve seen. Finished it off with a diver’s bracelet and it is now ready for use.

Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg

RaceTec

Reaction score
Can you give us more details? I would love to make something like this! Where, how much, did you assemble the entire thing yourself?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Where are you sourcing all these parts?

is this something a bormal
Person can assemble? Specialty tools?
Approx cost for something like this?

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Can you give us more details? I would love to make something like this! Where, how much, did you assemble the entire thing yourself?

The where is different vendors on the net from all over (europe, USA, etc) the world. Since these are precise parts finding a one stop shop that are going to complete the look you are going for is difficult. Shit answer i know, but it would be a long list of where i got everything.

The how much is based upon how wild you want to get with your design.

I assembled everything myself after a few other tries and modding watches. See below photos.

Last edited:

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Dude where did you get the parts? Who assembled? Who made the dial? I'm a total watch nerd and this something I have always thought about doing.

If you don't mind me asking what was the cost ballpark?

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Where are you sourcing all these parts?

is this something a bormal
Person can assemble? Specialty tools?
Approx cost for something like this?

Hi Dave,

Yes the sorcery is available to the general populace, you just have to learn what parts fit with the others. Tools come from amazon and are cheap.

It is water resistant but i wouldn't go scuba diving with it.

I started messing around modifying cheap russian diver watches, swapping bezels, straps, and hands. see below. A normal person can defiantly do this, or I can help as well.

Attachments

• Vostok1.jpg
    Vostok1.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Dude where did you get the parts? Who assembled? Who made the dial? I'm a total watch nerd and this something I have always thought about doing.

If you don't mind me asking what was the cost ballpark?

Parts came from the net and various venders. All depends on whether you want a mechanical watch, quartz watch, case type and size. There isn't one place to get it all so it is piecemeal and searching.

Last edited:

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Parts came from the net and various venders. All depends on whether you want a mechanical watch, quartz watch, case type and size. There isn't one place to get it all so it is piecemeal and searching.

I found a guy from indonesia of social media who painted the dial after i sent the design in.

1000 ish is a ball park.

Thanks! I think I just found a new hobby for the next few months. Can you PM me the dudes info from Indonesia?

DLC

Reaction score
I’ll take an orange one!, when is your web site up and running?

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
If anyone is interested send me a PM and i can help discuss the process of a build.

spectras only

Reaction score
Mine in the picture above is a fraction of what the Swiss Bergeon unit sells for.