WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hey LAM, made the paper

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
IMG_7181.jpg

IMG_7183.jpg

The last year and a half has been pretty challenging for the music business so it’s nice to see things coming back. My father was the conductor of this band for the past 27 seasons - the longest running professional band (112 years) in the country. It’s filled with some of the top musicians in So. Cal. Unfortunately my dad passed away a little over a year ago so the city of Long Beach went through a long process of findings it’s next conductor. I think my father would be proud as I was named the new conductor a few weeks back. On a cool side note, the park at the end of Marine Stadium will be named after my father on August 26th and the band will perform under my baton - going to be an emotional night. It’s amazing when life comes full circle in a positive way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
That is awesome in a couple levels. One, you can keep following your passion, and you get to do it in your father's footsteps.

Congrats!

SLT Kota

Reaction score
Congratulations Kurt!

I've worked along side my father for the past ten years and hopefully will be able to for many years to come, I got chills reading the paper knowing how much this must mean to you. I know there is no one better for the job.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Very, very cool! I'm sure it doesn't happen very often, that father and son talent is very, very rare. Being able to do the job is one thing, but getting the same position as your father has to be an unbelievable feeling.

Congratulations!

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Super cool. My mom bought me a trumpet for Christmas this past year as I thought I might as will get back into it. I have my father’s mouthpiece sitting on my desk right next to me in fact. He passed last September.

poncho

Reaction score
That is so Damned cool, congratulations.....That makes you a Rock Star in your field. 👍

sirbob

Reaction score
Good for you! I remember talking about this possibility when we had beers.

Great to hear it worked out!

Last edited:

rush1

Reaction score
That is so awesome, congratulations. A piece of your father is still a conducting!

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
Good for you! I remember taking about this possibility when we had beers.

Great hear it worked out!

I think we need to have some more beers again soon. And thanks for sharing your travel story with us all!

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
This is fantastic. Havent had the pleasure of meeting you yet but will try hard to make the show on the 26th, as I live just up Studebaker from the stadium! Congratulations!

-Reid