WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HEY LAM... New Tacoma...

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Just had a great experience at Autonation Toyota Tempe. Went in to place a deposit on a TRD OR with manual trans. They ended up going 2600 under MSRP to get me into a truck today. Didn’t want an auto, but it was cheaper than ordering a manual trans truck. And I didn’t have to wait until April. Told my son (who’s 8) it’s his when he turns 16. He’s stoked.
5C25CB6F-85EA-46AF-AFFC-0F1C580B8239.jpeg

Going to be an adjustment from the Ram. But I’ve been downsizing. Sold the toyhauler, jetski, SxS, and going to list the boat. No need for a Diesel that gets 12 MPG.
31F003E7-7F25-4765-B0E9-B151243339F2.jpeg

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Any taco/Toyota guys on here? Already looking at lifts and bumpers. Looking at ARB/OME, and Thuren Kings. Not going to do anything crazy. UCAs, shocks, possibly rear leaves. Front bumper, wheels and tires. Or just tires. Old lady doesn’t like the look of a shell. So if not a shell a hard tonno. Possibly a regear. Thoughts on a front truetrac? Would probably add one if I regear.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
There's a few tacoma specific forums that get tons of traffic.
tacomaworld.com
toyotanation.com
tacoma3g.com
customtacos.com

You should be able to find TONS of info on those.

NicPaus

Reaction score
That's a good deal. At DCH in Torrance there is a 5k market rate markup on them and 5k accessories that was BS like glass etching and paint protection. Found a 2019 with 10k miles for my Mom for Christmas. New price was 45k with the BS markups.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Nice looking truck that you picked up. Toyotas get a premium here in Hawaii. Everyone wants one LOL. It should certainly be around for your son to have as a driver down the road. My MIL has one in Kingman and is willing to give it to us but I am not ready to downsize....YET

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Real world update at 3000 miles.

Truck is solid. Controls (switches and turn signals, etc,) are Lexus like.

MPG is terrible. High teens in town, 8-9 towing my boat- Tahoe 700, 21’ runabout with a 6.2, about 5000 lbs.

Chassis is excellent- tows and stops the boat no problem- surge brakes on the trailer. You definitely feel the wind push you around.

Needs more gear, no power below 3k. Kept the trans in S while towing, got better MPG above 3k rpm. Running 70ish, running slower the trans was hunting gears and MPG dropped.

Excellent offroad- to a point. Needs armor BAD. Did some wheeling in northern AZ without issue. Locker is awesome. Just crawls along.

Tried backway to Crown King, did fine until I reached the mine/ construction halfway through. Was scraping too much to continue. Listening to stuff scrape makes me cringe.

Going to order stuff over the summer- full skids, sliders, probably bigger tires. And Will reassess in the fall.

Would like to lift it- but worried about warranty- might start with 255/85r16s on factory wheels.

Also seriously considering an ARB front bumper and winch- but will need some kind of front lift at that point.

If I lift, would like to go to a full King or Fox setup with rear Deavers. Not sure if I’m willing to go that far yet.

Overall, definitely doesn’t compare to my Ram- but I like it. Definitely needs 5.29s. Should have 4.56 from factory.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Get a pedal commander for it....it'll wake it up a bunch in the lower RPM range

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I just sent a text to Brian at Tempe Toyota (solid salesman and dealership- recommend 100%...) about trading/ ordering for a manual trans truck.

When I originally contacted Brian, I was going into the dealer to order the exact truck I purchased (CCSB OR V6 in Cement with technology package...) They had no manual trans trucks in stock, and I was adamant if I went auto I wanted the longbed. They didn’t have any long beds, either. They threw me a killer deal on my auto truck that was just rolling off of the hauler (still had bugs on the tailgate...). I went for it, because I needed a truck.

But it eats at me everytime I drive the goddamn truck. I want the manual trans. I’m going to order one if the numbers are close. Going to pay this one off soon, might sell PP, but the sales tax advantage usually leans toward the trade.

I’m about to start ordering skids, sliders, etc. Want to make sure I have the truck I really want.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I just sent a text to Brian at Tempe Toyota (solid salesman and dealership- recommend 100%...) about trading/ ordering for a manual trans truck.

When I originally contacted Brian, I was going into the dealer to order the exact truck I purchased (CCSB OR V6 in Cement with technology package...) They had no manual trans trucks in stock, and I was adamant if I went auto I wanted the longbed. They didn’t have any long beds, either. They threw me a killer deal on my auto truck that was just rolling off of the hauler (still had bugs on the tailgate...). I went for it, because I needed a truck.

But it eats at me everytime I drive the goddamn truck. I want the manual trans. I’m going to order one if the numbers are close. Going to pay this one off soon, might sell PP, but the sales tax advantage usually leans toward the trade.

I’m about to start ordering skids, sliders, etc. Want to make sure I have the truck I really want.

Since the mileage was an issue for you...I’d take it easy on the bolt-ons to try and keep the weight minimal...and ARB bumpers look stupid.

If you’re planning on wheeling it, a manual is annoying unless you can improve the low range. We used to double up the t-cases on the older Toyota and a few made a 4.7:1 gear set, but I’m not sure what exists for the newer trucks.

Last edited:

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Yeah, mileage is what it is. I didn’t expect it to be great, and I’m sure it will drop some as I add stuff. Keeping weight down will definitely be a priority, and at some point a regear will probably happen.

I bought the truck to wheel, nothing crazy, but want to get out and see AZ and the southwest. Hit some trails, do some camping, etc.

Truck definitely needs armor and more clearance, so I’ll start there.

I doubt the numbers will pencil out on trading to a manual trans- but ill look into it just to be sure. Marlin crawler used to make a tacobox for crawling, but I think it’s been discontinued.

Im not a huge fan of the ARB Bumper but I want animal strike protection and it seems to hold up the best. There are a few other choices available in aluminum that would help keep weight down if I wanted to go that route.

Thanks for the replies.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Going in tomorrow to trade for a manual trans truck. Old lady is pissed, lol. Getting more on trade than I paid for my (3 month old) used truck. And getting the exact truck I would have ordered in the first place. For the same price, basically a wash- no additional money down, and payment is the same.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Going in tomorrow to trade for a manual trans truck. Old lady is pissed, lol. Getting more on trade than I paid for my (3 month old) used truck. And getting the exact truck I would have ordered in the first place. For the same price, basically a wash- no additional money down, and payment is the same.
What about tax? Never worry about payment. OTD is the only thing that matters.
Would be surprised if they gave you what you paid plus tax and liscense.
The manual truck is probably cheaper hence why your payment is staying the same.

But as long as your happy eff it.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
What about tax? Never worry about payment. OTD is the only thing that matters.
Would be surprised if they gave you what you paid plus tax and liscense.
The manual truck is probably cheaper hence why your payment is staying the same.

But as long as your happy eff it.

When you have a trade in you don’t pay tax on the value of the trade. He isn’t in California.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
When you have a trade in you don’t pay tax on the value of the trade. He isn’t in California.
How does that work? If you trade in a 40k truck and buy a 39k truck you get a credit of the tax for the 1k?
if you buy a more expensive truck you pay the difference?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Yes. They gave me a little over what I paid for trade. In AZ, you pay the difference between your trade and new purchase price in taxes. So in this case, around 100 bucks, possibly less depending on the final price of the truck I end up with. Tags will transfer to the new truck. Same rate on loan- 2.59%. So, with no out of pocket the monthly will drop a bucks or two. If I apply the $500 refundable deposit I gave to have a truck shipped (they won’t charge me for shipping) or to be ordered, it will drop another couple of bucks.

That is why in AZ, buying new isn’t always such a bad deal.

Dealer is currently trying to dealer trade for the truck I want- I have a specific list of options and truck must be same color as this one to match the old lady’s car, lol. If they can’t find someone willing to trade, they will order one, with a mid June build scheduled- for mid July delivery. I’m in no hurry, to hot to wheel during the summer and the skids/ sliders are 12+ weeks to get delivered anyway.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
How does that work? If you trade in a 40k truck and buy a 39k truck you get a credit of the tax for the 1k?
if you buy a more expensive truck you pay the difference?

Yup. Trade in a 30k vehicle on a 40k vehicle and you are only taxed on 10k. Which is why trading in is better than private party in some states.

This is also how what @2FORCEFULL does makes sense with motorhomes. It would never make sense in California.