WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hey Lucas Experts

530RL

Reaction score
Does Lucas make a true API GL4 gear oil and where can I get it?

530RL

Reaction score
All Lucas gear oils are gl4 and gl5 approved.

Appreciate the response.

If they are approved for both, they will not be good for synchro mesh transmissions with yellow metals. My wallet now knows this. :(

One of the additives that make them API GL5 is in simple terms an anti slip or limited slip which is great for everything modern but my problem is with 60's and 70's manual boxes that have a lot of yellow metals in them.

I do really appreciate you checking. :thumbsup

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Appreciate the response.

If they are approved for both, they will not be good for synchro mesh transmissions with yellow metals. My wallet now knows this. :(

One of the additives that make them API GL5 is in simple terms an anti slip or limited slip which is great for everything modern but my problem is with 60's and 70's manual boxes that have a lot of yellow metals in them.

I do really appreciate you checking. :thumbsup

I do make that they are safe for yellow metals. I will have Lucas oil respond in here and explain. During one of my visits to the lab they were showing me this.

530RL

Reaction score
I do make that they are safe for yellow metals. I will have Lucas oil respond in here and explain. During one of my visits to the lab they were showing me this.

Excellent, thanks.

Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil has now come out and said they do not recommend theirs for yellow metals due to the limited slip additives making shifting more difficult and causing faster wear of synchros as well as the corrosiveness of some other additives. It would be awesome to finally understand this.

No wonder people quit working on old stuff......:grumble:

SeanRitchie

Reaction score
That would certainly be good information from Lucas, I would like to hear their position on the subject, especially for all of the sandrail owners since the majority (Mendeola 2D, "E-box", Weddle HV-1, all VW) of synchromesh transaxles are VW based and still use VW brass synchros.

At Weddle, we will recommend GL-5 oil in a race car that will get serviced at least once a year with synchros getting replaced regularly. We will tend to recommend GL-4 oils for most "recreationally" driven sandrails and play cars as most people want to extend the time between services as much as possible. But that all depends on the driver, someone who wants to drive their car like a race car in the dunes, should understand that racecar transmissions and transaxles get serviced at least once a year, instead of every 4-5 seasons. There is generally less protection with GL-4 oils to the gear faces, depending on how the car is driven, it can be a non-issue.

The difference between the 2 variations is the "Extreme Pressure" additives. GL-5 has more of these additives that protect the faces of the gears under extreme loads, but it has been found that most GL-5 rated oils will break down yellow metals (brass synchronizers) and cause them to crack or just plain disintegrate.

Added: You wouldn't want to use any type of "Moly" oil as synchronizers depend on friction to speed up or slow down the gear during the shift. We have had many complaints about not being able to shift, and many times it comes back using Moly oils. Moly oils work great in dogchange sequential boxes like Albins sequential, Mendeola/PBS S4/5, Mendeola S4D/5D.

530RL

Reaction score
That would certainly be good information from Lucas, I would like to hear their position on the subject, especially for all of the sandrail owners since the majority (Mendeola 2D, "E-box", Weddle HV-1, all VW) of synchromesh transaxles are VW based and still use VW brass synchros.

At Weddle, we will recommend GL-5 oil in a race car that will get serviced at least once a year with synchros getting replaced regularly. We will tend to recommend GL-4 oils for most "recreationally" driven sandrails and play cars as most people want to extend the time between services as much as possible. But that all depends on the driver, someone who wants to drive their car like a race car in the dunes, should understand that racecar transmissions and transaxles get serviced at least once a year, instead of every 4-5 seasons. There is generally less protection with GL-4 oils to the gear faces, depending on how the car is driven, it can be a non-issue.

The difference between the 2 variations is the "Extreme Pressure" additives. GL-5 has more of these additives that protect the faces of the gears under extreme loads, but it has been found that most GL-5 rated oils will break down yellow metals (brass synchronizers) and cause them to crack or just plain disintegrate.

Added: You wouldn't want to use any type of "Moly" oil as synchronizers depend on friction to speed up or slow down the gear during the shift. We have had many complaints about not being able to shift, and many times it comes back using Moly oils. Moly oils work great in dogchange sequential boxes like Albins sequential, Mendeola/PBS S4/5, Mendeola S4D/5D.

Yep. Exact issue but it is not only the corrosion but the Limited Slip additives (assuming they are different than the EP additives?) cause not only difficult shifting but wear out the synchros very fast.

In my jeep I have just had to rebuild my T150 and Dana Model 20 after using GL-5, so, I have switched to running straight 50 wt motor oil with is approximately the same viscosity (or so the experts say) as 75 wt gear oil. It works a lot better and I am not having the shifting or the synchro wear problems.

In my Albins in my sand car, I run a straight GL-4 gear oil from NAPA.

i would love to hear from the Lucas guy.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Please be patient I have sent him a link to this thread but he is currently out of the office and traveling he will respond.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Here is the issue. Our product says that it is API GL-4 and API GL-5. However, it is not recommended for syncromesh applications because a special fluid needs to be used due to different frictional properties and presence of yellow metals. If the gear oil is going to be used in applications where there are no yellow metals and API GL-4 fluid is recommended then there is no issue. Bottom line is do not use our gear oils in syncromesh applications.

Best Regards,

Mark Negast
Lucas Oil Products
Technical Director

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Here is the issue. Our product says that it is API GL-4 and API GL-5. However, it is not recommended for syncromesh applications because a special fluid needs to be used due to different frictional properties and presence of yellow metals. If the gear oil is going to be used in applications where there are no yellow metals and API GL-4 fluid is recommended then there is no issue. Bottom line is do not use our gear oils in syncromesh applications.

Best Regards,

Mark Negast
Lucas Oil Products
Technical Director

That being said they are working on a product that can be used in this application but it is still in the testing stages and not ready yet. That is the product that I saw which I spoke about earlier in this thread