WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hey mountain bikers - tubes or tubeless?

HotRod82

Reaction score
I recently bought a new 29 er and it came with tubeless tires. I've had more flats on this bike than ever before, should I go back to tubes or do I just have the wrong tires? This is my first go with tubeless tires so any input from the RDP braintrust will be appreciated.......thx.

dspracing

Reaction score
Everyone I ride with tells me tubeless will change your life and that it's the only way to go.

While I haven't found the need to make the jump, my understanding is that the sealant needs to be changed at some interval. Is it possible that you have old or no sealant?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Tubeless and run Stan's tubeless sealer...........

What tires do you have?

Also what pressure are you running?

Trash

Reaction score
Remember it's a tubeless system, not just the tire. Wheel (rim), spokes, liner and tire should all be tubeless design. Just make sure all the parts and pieces are up to snuff. Personally I still use tubes but am also running older equipment.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I have not flated with tubeless for 4 years. I’d make sure your wheels are set up properly with the right rim tape, you’ve got good valves, and that you’ve got enough sealant in your tires. I like Stans. I tried Slime, got it for free at Sea Otter, and I was not happy with it. I felt Slime did not deal as good as Stan’s, and I would have to add air more often.

Get yourself the sealant kit with the large syringe so that you can add a couple oz of sealant every now and then. I always put in about 6-10oz. That’s more then the recommendation, but I’m not out racing trying to save weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have Stans on standby for the day that I pop a tube..... hasnt happened yet.

HotRod82

Reaction score
Cool guys....thx for the input.
I just switched to Stan's and a new set of Maxis Assegai tires......we'll see how it goes.

EBT531

Reaction score
I just switched to tubeless last weekend. Took 2 days for the tires to "seal" but now they are fine. When you say "flats", is this when the bike is sitting or out on rides? Like others said, you need to add sealant every now and then as it dries up esp in AZ.

2Driver

Reaction score
Once you are tubeless, just carry tire plugs and the insertion tool and a pump like this one. I carry a large capacity co2 and a tube as well. believe it or not gorilla gel glue can get you fixed by putting gel in the puncture and squeezing it together and gorilla duct tape on the inside of the tire.

cakemoto

Reaction score
Crush core only way.On the downhill bike I run tubes

Fast Willy

Reaction score
Tubeless with Stans. You will need to add some Stans over time as needed, but is awesome to ride with confidence of not getting a flat. I still carry a tube as i seen a friends tire get a 1 inch gash & all the stans blew out. he put a tube in to get it back to the trucks.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Tubeless. Add some stans every 6 months. You do have to add air at least once a week, compared to a non leaking tube, anyway for the ten plus years I’ve done it this way.