WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hey Tariff Morons.............

HotRod82

Reaction score
IMO - one element missing from your tariff discussion is this is not a one size fits all situation. There is often a backside. The steel industry is a good example, with once idled factories roaring back to life providing jobs and significant tax revenue. I don't mind paying slightly more for the steel, (i just spent about a grand at the metal yard yesterday) when I see the net positive effects of doing so. I don't argue certain industries are being decimated by the tariffs, however I do not agree all industries are being negatively affected.

If the tariffs are a broad negative, where is the inflation, why are the job numbers so high and why is the stock market at record highs?

We are in uncharted territory folks, I think many of the long standing policies simply no longer apply.

wallnutz

Reaction score
IMO - one element missing from your tariff discussion is this is not a one size fits all situation. There is often a backside. The steel industry is a good example, with once idled factories roaring back to life providing jobs and significant tax revenue. I don't mind paying slightly more for the steel, (i just spent about a grand at the metal yard yesterday) when I see the net positive effects of doing so. I don't argue certain industries are being decimated by the tariffs, however I do not agree all industries are being negatively affected.

If the tariffs are a broad negative, where is the inflation, why are the job numbers so high and why is the stock market at record highs?

We are in uncharted territory folks, I think many of the long standing policies simply no longer apply.

We can see where one poster makes his $$$ and will just skirt around answering for it. Leveling the field of how much a country charges for items is a big start. But when one country gets away with charging more for most everything and we don’t get to do the same there becomes the deficit. I don’t think the answer is for us to charge more but for others to reduce. They were allowed for years to get away with it for the sake of of helping their economy on trade. But they are now surpassing us and we still pay for it. I’m sure our politicians have been rewarded greatly over the years for not changing policy. That’s probably another reason some get all worked up over the tariffs., especially since they supported a few.

BONER

Reaction score
Still haven't acknowledged the fact that these Tariffs, in the end, gets us what we want. Negotiations.

Not sure why you guys can't see it. Once Negotiations are under way, we're gonna win. This is the point of Tariffs.

Also, still waiting for an example of where any of these Tariffs hit the pockets, of anybody posting in this thread.

Last edited:

RCDave

Reaction score
Lol. Read economic publications. Steel, aluminum, lumber, plastic, electronic components, all are up due to tariffs....

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Still haven't acknowledged the fact that these Tariffs, in the end, gets us what we want. Negotiations.

Not sure why you guys can't see it. Once Negotiations are under way, we're gonna win. This is the point of Tariffs.

Also, still waiting for an example of where any of these Tariffs hit the pockets, of anybody posting in this thread.

Here is a small example of just a few letters from our suppliers increasing my prices.

So far the aggregate tariff total on components sice last year have cost us about a million dollars.

This goes right against the company profit and bonus raise pool for our employees- unless I raise my prices to match which I didnt we raised /we are raising pricing a very nominal 3% as most of our component source is US based.

There are email names on some of these Id prefer to keep private, but think its valuable for you guys to see what comes across my desk nearly daily from this or that supplier

Seems to me we could have negotiated quite well without this simply using levers like Huawei (which we just caved on)

UD

Attachments

• Tariff Letters.pdf
    736.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

530RL

Reaction score

HotRod82

Reaction score
Again fellas I don't disagree some industries and board members here are negatively affected by the tariffs.....I totally agree with you.
My point is - If the Tariffs are in fact a BROAD negative then why are the job and manufacturing numbers so high? Why is there virtually no inflation? Why is the stock market at record highs? The economy overall is doing very well, no?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Employment % and inflation have always been highly debatable numbers . On their face, these number look good today if you believe they are solid indicators to begin with.
Weve discussed what is an isnt in these measurements a lot here and the consensus on them is typically they aren't the whole story.

The ecomomy is showing signs of slowing. April job growth was revised down after the fact.

May job growth is under 100K well down from the 200K we'vee seen prior.

The markets were in a steady fall until the fed intimated no long term change or upping of rate - then the market started to grow again.

At 2.5 % prime your savings accounts see almost no growth from cash saved. This nearly free money masks whats going on and penalizes savers.

UD

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Employment % and inflation have always been highly debatable numbers . On their face, these number look good today if you believe they are solid indicators to begin with.
Weve discussed what is an isnt in these measurements a lot here and the consensus on them is typically they aren't the whole story.

The ecomomy is showing signs of slowing. April job growth was revised down after the fact.

May job growth is under 100K well down from the 200K we'vee seen prior.

The markets were in a steady fall until the fed intimated no long term change or upping of rate - then the market started to grow again.

At 2.5 % prime your savings accounts see almost no growth from cash saved. This nearly free money masks whats going on and penalizes savers.

UD

This and it’s not surprising with Trump’s strategy.

He could have sat back and let China continue to bend us over, but he ran on breaking those CHICOM bastards. I’m not sure why everyone is surprised?

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
27ByQmgNSr5kkoBNe72vtbYK3HeqOW8-vhqkt7nDVJw.png

liberal no .gif

rrrr

Reaction score
China is being hurt badly by the tariffs, much more so than the US. They are the largest steelmakers in the world, and right now iron ore prices are about 70% higher than they were a year ago. They have to buy ore from Australia, we buy it in the US or Canada.

Their automobile sales are off 30% from a year ago. They begged enough for Trump to back off on the Huiwei boycott. Their economic growth fell below 6% for the first time in two decades last quarter.

It's working, and our economy is still growing. I think we have a winner in this.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
China is being hurt badly by the tariffs, much more so than the US. They are the largest steelmakers in the world, and right now iron ore prices are about 70% higher than they were a year ago. They have to buy ore from Australia, we buy it in the US or Canada.

Their automobile sales are off 30% from a year ago. They begged enough for Trump to back off on the Huiwei boycott. Their economic growth fell below 6% for the first time in two decades last quarter.

It's working, and our economy is still growing. I think we have a winner in this.
Yeah, well, that is just mean. We need to find a way to please everyone all the time or it is just not acceptable.

jimsplace

Banned
Reaction score

China may be getting hit dollar wise harder, but percentage wise, not so much. What have we gained?
How are the farmers doing?

You mention China's automobile market is off 30%, but what does that have to do with us? How many cars does the US import from China?
The trade wars have had a negative impact world wide.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain. If metal prices are so high, Why are scrap prices so low? It's far cheaper to recycle then to pull raw materials out of the earth.
Anybody know why?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain. If metal prices are so high, Why are scrap prices so low? It's far cheaper to recycle then to pull raw materials out of the earth.
Anybody know why?
It's because Trump said PUSSY, and he is mean. Just ask the local libturds, they'll explain it all to you.

rrrr

Reaction score
China may be getting hit dollar wise harder, but percentage wise, not so much. What have we gained?
How are the farmers doing?

You mention China's automobile market is off 30%, but what does that have to do with us? How many cars does the US import from China?
The trade wars have had a negative impact world wide.

I'm sure this is a TL;DR for liberals, because all they know is hate Trump, America is racist, and our economic system brutalizes 99% of the population. But, I'll try anyway.

Like most uninformed liberals, you only know Orange Man Bad, and willfully ignore the sound reasoning behind the tariffs. The malign powers the Chinese wield to increase their global influence and military might are a bigger danger to this country than lower export soybean prices for our farmers.

According to today's WSJ, imports into the US from China fell 31% last month. How's that for percentage?

Their domestic car industry is a huge driver of their economy. Sales lowered by almost a third give graphic representation that the tariffs are severely disrupting their economy, which is the point of the entire exercise.

You apparently have no clue about the issues behind the tariffs, things like intellectual property theft, the artificial support for the Yuan, which makes imports to the US cost more, production of counterfeit goods, and the prohibition against US companies competing in some business sectors are some of those.

In addition, the tariffs are exerting pressure on the Chinese government to curtail human rights abuses. About one million ethnic Uighars, who worship Islam, have been imprisoned in the western Xinjiang region and subjected to torture and indoctrination camps.

China is facing growing criticism over its persecution of some Muslim minority groups, huge numbers of whom are allegedly being held in internment camps.

In August 2018, a UN committee heard that up to one million Uighur Muslims and other Muslim groups could be being detained in the western Xinjiang region, where they're said to be undergoing "re-education" programmes.

The claims were made by rights groups, but China denies the allegations. At the same time, there's growing evidence of oppressive surveillance against people living in Xinjiang.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-china-45474279

China also supresses political dissidents and imprisions them, and several are murdered every year.

China has built up islands in the South China Sea and placed huge military installations on them. These bases sit astride one of the world's busiest shipping corridors, and China could easily disrupt trade worth billions of dollars.

In the early 1930s, the political and military goals of Germany were becoming obvious to anyone willing to investigate. Unfortunately, those people were in short supply, and most others were duped by Hitler's rhetoric about peace.

David Lloyd George, Great Britain's prime minister between 1916 and 1922, was one of those.

After a trip to Germany in September 1936, Lloyd George wrote an article titled “I Talked to Hitler” in the Daily Express newspaper.

"As to his popularity, especially among the youth of Germany, there can be no manner of doubt. The old trust him; the young idolise him. It is not the admiration accorded to a popular Leader. It is the worship of a national hero who has saved his country from utter despondency and degradation. . . .

He is as immune from criticism as a king in a monarchical country. He is something more. He is the George Washington of Germany — the man who won for his country independence from all her oppressors. . .

Hitler fought in the ranks throughout the war, and knows from personal experience what war means. . . .

It is now an avowed part of the Hitler policy to build up an army which will be strong enough to resist every invader from whatever quarter the attack may come. I believe he has already achieved that measure of immunity. . . .

There is no attempt to conceal these facts. Re-armament proceeds quite openly, and they vaunt it.

Perhaps you recall how that turned out.

Now is the time to check Chinese expansionism and manipulation of free trade. The booming US economy is well positioned to absorb the negative domestic effects.

Last edited:

jimsplace

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure this is a TL;DR for liberals, because all they know is hate Trump, America is racist, and our economic system brutalizes 99% of the population. But, I'll try anyway.

Sounds just like Trump

In the early 1930s, the political and military goals of Germany were becoming obvious to anyone willing to investigate. Unfortunately, those people were in short supply, and most others were duped by Hitler's rhetoric about peace.

David Lloyd George, Great Britain's prime minister between 1916 and 1922, was one of those.

After a trip to Germany in September 1936, Lloyd George wrote an article titled “I Talked to Hitler” in the Daily Express newspaper.

"As to his popularity, especially among the youth of Germany, there can be no manner of doubt. The old trust him; the young idolise him. It is not the admiration accorded to a popular Leader. It is the worship of a national hero who has saved his country from utter despondency and degradation. . . .

He is as immune from criticism as a king in a monarchical country. He is something more. He is the George Washington of Germany — the man who won for his country independence from all her oppressors. . .

Hitler fought in the ranks throughout the war, and knows from personal experience what war means. . . .

It is now an avowed part of the Hitler policy to build up an army which will be strong enough to resist every invader from whatever quarter the attack may come. I believe he has already achieved that measure of immunity. . . .

There is no attempt to conceal these facts. Re-armament proceeds quite openly, and they vaunt it.

Yes, I recall. It's part of history to be learned.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Sounds just like Trump

Ah TDSplace we Trumpkins welcome all, whether you’re black, brown, yellow or gay. There’s just one requirement, you love this!

upload_2019-7-14_22-30-30.gif

:)

HotRod82

Reaction score
Sounds just like Trump

UMMM.........you forgot the part about Mr. George betraying his country, committing treason, taking a payoff from the third reich, then the whole thing being covered up by the royal family. Mr. George was not duped, he knew EXACTLY what he was doing. One historian wrote - "be it in purgatory or hell, george will be at the head of the table".

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Sounds just like Trump

9387F1B8-7EB0-409D-A597-1A45B2BF931A.png

jimsplace

Banned
Reaction score
Equivocating Trump with Hitler exposes your complete ignorance about the Third Reich and the horrors it inflicted.

It also affirms my opinion you're a fool.

We know what your opinion is worth, too.

jimsplace

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like the tariffs are working and countries like the US, Vietnam and Taiwan are reaping the benefits.... So sorry chi chi chi china

Benefiting?

I wasn't aware the US was benefiting. Tell us who.
Everything I've seen from Washington keeps saying, "Well in the long run." So, what benefits are you aware of currently?

rrrr

Reaction score
Benefiting?

I wasn't aware the US was benefiting. Tell us who.
Everything I've seen from Washington keeps saying, "Well in the long run." So, what benefits are you aware of currently?

Hereya go. I shouldn't bother, you'll just dismiss the thousands of American jobs this action will ultimately produce.

President Trump will sign an executive order on Monday to require that the bulk of the steel and iron used in federal contracts is sourced from U.S. firms., according to a top trade adviser, the latest move by the White House to bolster domestic commodity producers.

The action is slated to mandate that 95 percent of steel and iron used for government projects is provided by American firms, the White House’s Peter Navarro told FOX News on Monday, an increase from the existing threshold of 50 percent. Trump will also suggest that the content threshold for other commodities be increased to 55 percent, up from the current 50 percent, and eventually rise to 75 percent, Navarro said.

Trump previously imposed double-digit tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, one intended to curb the use of those commodities from countries like China. Those duties were lifted on Canada and Mexico as the three nations seek to advance an update to the North American Free Trade Agreement.

He also signed an executive order shortly after assuming office to reduce the number of waivers to federal contractors, leading to a 15 percent drop and decade-low spending on foreign goods, according to Navarro.

Profits at top U.S. steel firms have risen to record highs under the Trump administration and top producers are expanding operations in the country.

Nucor is building a $1.35 billion facility that will produce roughly 400 full-time jobs, while Steel Dynamics is constructing a new $1.8 billion flat-roll mill that is expected to spur 600 new jobs.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/industr...ased-use-of-us-steel-iron-in-federal-projects

jimsplace

Banned
Reaction score
Who is "we". I don't know of ANYONE on this forum that has a low opinion of 4r but the few liberal communists that make RD's site smell at times! You coming in here has made it stink real bad!!:(:(

This forum has too many dumb questions already.
You say who is, "WE" and then go on to reference, "But the few."
More than one is a, "WE," so me, and anyone else.

You answered your own question. Thank you.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
This forum has too many dumb questions already.
You say who is, "WE" and then go on to reference, "But the few."
More than one is a, "WE," so me, and anyone else.

You answered your own question. Thank you.
Tommy told me not to engage with you and I didn't do it, so I'll take his advise and consider you dead and gone!!

Andy B.

Reaction score
Yeah Yahoo imagine that how about a real news source?:D

Andy B.

Reaction score
A slump is not the same as a recession as you stated nice play on words!

530RL

Reaction score
A slump is not the same as a recession as you stated nice play on words!

The definition of a recession is a fall in two consecutive quarters. That is what the fed data showed in manufacturing.

Don't shoot the messenger, I was just presenting the Trump administration's own data that they themselves compiled and released.

Sandlord

Reaction score
man the life boats
Despite jumping in June, manufacturing fell by a 2.2 percent annual rate in the April-June period, and total industrial production lost 1.2 percent, in both cases the second consecutive quarterly decline, the Federal Reserve said Tuesday

jimsplace

Banned
Reaction score
man the life boats
Despite jumping in June, manufacturing fell by a 2.2 percent annual rate in the April-June period, and total industrial production lost 1.2 percent, in both cases the second consecutive quarterly decline, the Federal Reserve said Tuesday

How can that be, everyone keeps posting how great Trump is doing. And, Trump does too.
MTFG -- "MAKE TRUMP & FAMILY GREAT"

Wombat

The Great Southern land
Reaction score
I
The definition of a recession is a fall in two consecutive quarters. That is what the fed data showed in manufacturing.

Don't shoot the messenger, I was just presenting the Trump administration's own data that they themselves compiled and released.

I wonder if this drop off will influence the US Federal Reserve to drop a .25% in rates (that will make Trump and Wall st happy) ;).

We in Australia after a very successful recent election of the Liberal party (similar to Republican party) have dropped rates .25% for June and then again in July with talk of another possible .25 or .20% in late July or early August.:)

It has already stimulated the housing market, but more importantly it has started to impact favourably in the manufacturing sector.:)

There is positive discussions that these drops will impact the mining sector substantially with large coal mines in Queensland and WA already gearing up, plus as the issues regarding US/China tariffs continue we in Australia are one of the top 2 in supply of rare earth metals ( l believe China is number 1) this sector is ready to increase as well.;)

Last edited:

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Even the almighty Trump is having a hard time keeping the house of cards standing. :(

All I know is.......................FUCK CHYYYYYYYYNA!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)