WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HF Predator 3500 10% off with Coupon

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
A6A935A2-1D89-4A5C-B11E-F0C090D75E09.png

3770B2DF-C2D4-49E1-9CA0-8319B44476D0.png

You won’t see this again in either price nor availability for a long time if at all.
Especially availability.
I’m buying an extra spare. When they finally puke I remove the fluids and dumpsters them.

Last edited:

satellitemike

Reaction score
What does something like the one on the bottom go for?
And how long will the carb last before needing to be rebuilt, if you take care of it w treated fuel and running it dry before shutting it down?

sintax

Reaction score
I thought they stopped the coupon game! I really need a couple of their 44” tool storage chests but I don’t think they’re going to go back to that $400 price range

Reactions: TPC

racektm

Reaction score

Nordie

Reaction score
Wow that's tempting, only thing that sucks is I don't have a 220 plug anywhere in my house. I would need to get a transfer switch installed.

Xring01

Reaction score
Wow that's tempting, only thing that sucks is I don't have a 220 plug anywhere in my house. I would need to get a transfer switch installed.
Hummm, 3500kw is probably to small of a unit, to justify the cost / expense /time of installing a complete transfer switch.e
If you gonna go that far, then I would be considering a much larger generator.

Just remember, your wifes average hair drier is pulling 1800 watts... some are 2500.... So truly consider the load you are backing up, and develop a plan for that load and your budget.

Nordie

Reaction score
Hummm, 3500kw is probably to small of a unit, to justify the cost / expense /time of installing a complete transfer switch.e
If you gonna go that far, then I would be considering a much larger unit.

Just remember, your wifes average hair drier is pulling 1800 watts... some are 2500.... So truly consider the load you are backing up, and develop a plan for that load and your budget.

I agree, this would be to keep my fridge going in case of an outage, not power the entire house. Could always buy bigger. If it was summer it would definitely run the swamp cooler as well.

I see your point though

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I miss the 20% coupon game at HF... Can't tell you how many of the free flashlights and voltage testers I have lying around. Don't go in nearly as much since they stopped coupons and changed to the HF CC gig!

I researched the HF gens for a long time and ended up going with the Wen.

I liked the feature that it runs the carb dry with the flip of a switch and already has the RV plug.

sintax

Reaction score
Like these? I just bought two of them, $399 each.

I'm looking for 2 of these

sintax

Reaction score
I miss the 20% coupon game at HF... Can't tell you how many of the free flashlights and voltage testers I have lying around. Don't go in nearly as much since they stopped coupons and changed to the HF CC gig!

I liked the feature that it runs the carb dry with the flip of a switch and already has the RV plug.

same, i've pretty much just stopped spending money there randomly. Now I only go when I need something disposable

sintax

Reaction score

no matter what you need a transfer switch. Back feeding is very bad and kills linemen.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
What does something like the one on the bottom go for?
And how long will the carb last before needing to be rebuilt, if you take care of it w treated fuel and running it dry before shutting it down?
There is a real easy carb bowl drain with tube.
I’ll drain this and post pix after run-time.
Run Star Tron
BB104987-A50E-497E-A0A8-13C5DC7EE7F1.jpeg

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I used Sea Foam and I ran the gen once a month for 15 mins past year with no issues. I used dinosaur oil for the break in and I varied the load for the first few hours. After 10 hours and two oil changes I put synthetic oil in.

Bunch of mods for the Predator on YT for things like draining the fuel and better wheels.

4Waters

Reaction score
I agree, this would be to keep my fridge going in case of an outage, not power the entire house. Could always buy bigger. If it was summer it would definitely run the swamp cooler as well.

I see your point though
This would run all your lights TV fridge..... no microwave and probably no coffee maker unless you make sure all the fridges and freezers are off or unplugged while it's brewing

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Why do you continue pimping this chineese crap on a boating forum?

4Waters

Reaction score
Why do you continue pimping this chineese crap on a boating forum?
Quit bitching about others negativity🤣🤣

Seriously, we as well as several other inmates live in Simi where SCE loves to turn off the power any time it's breezy so when a deal comes up its good to post it. Several of my neighbors lost everything in their fridge twice earlier this year.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

How much was that?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The rechargeable pencil flashlight is Da Kine'.
Wife and her nurse friends love 'um.
Super bright, excellent.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I thought they stopped the coupon game! I really need a couple of their 44” tool storage chests but I don’t think they’re going to go back to that $400 price range
Me too. It's why I jumped on this.
Ya run them 100 hours outta the box.. If they last that long they'll last years.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Ok new exchanged. I’ll put in a properly gapped NGK and most likely won’t have an issue with this one.
Didn’t want to trouble shoot the last one. Hit and run with new and start over

6F22A5A5-EC53-41C5-AF8C-3D90943ECB29.jpeg

timstoy

Reaction score
It blew up already? What was the price with the coupon, they must have stock since you got a replacement.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
How much was that?
I bought it a year ago.... Wen had a special and at the time it was cheaper than the Predator.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
It blew up already? What was the price with the coupon, they must have stock since you got a replacement.
7 and change.
Probably a carbon’d up sparkplug but I’m way too busy to Fuck with it. Faster to just exchange it.

Last edited:

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Quit bitching about others negativity🤣🤣

Seriously, we as well as several other inmates live in Simi where SCE loves to turn off the power any time it's breezy so when a deal comes up its good to post it. Several of my neighbors lost everything in their fridge twice earlier this year.
all you rich people in Simi can afford to buy a Honda!

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
I like my 3500. I'm on my second one. First quit after 6 hours. Best thing ever is running this quiet kitty 25' away from the toybox. I don't miss the old days of the built-in Onan 5500 shaking and buzzing the toybox all evening.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Time to do that here
So much better than the smaller stacked units. It is huge and heavy. Be ready with a few guys to lift it up.

sintax

Reaction score
Good luck on the toolboxes. Took me 4 tries to get my delivery undamaged.

nice!

I plan on doing the 2 of the smaller 44" boxes and nesting them into a metal frame with a solid core wood top and getting a sheetmetal top bent for the final work surface. Similar to this.

20141223_100357.jpg

77charger

Reaction score
Still have my honda from 2009 which already had time on it.Still going strong but its a 3000eu and been solid i have had friends buy champion,and hf gens telling me how they are just like a honda only to crap out 2 days into a week long camp trip.Sure warranty took care of them but what good is it when you are far from service.

As for smaller hondas like a 2000 its a crapshoot where id rather gamble and buy a half price type gen.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Honda EU3000 won't run in extreme heat nor roll the 15K BTU AC. I have 2 of them, friend has 2 and that's our's and other friends experience.
It's the main reason we went to HF. We run them in extreme heat fully loaded days on end - no issues. I found if they last 100 hours they last 5000. A few fueling precautions and proper maint and they'll be reliable.

If Honda eventually makes a 3500 that can take the heat and run the AC we'll certainly check them out but for now the HF 3500 is the only whore in town.

Last edited:

HitIt

Reaction score
I have a Predator 3500. Love it. So quiet even when the microwave is running and will run one AC. That said, when I go on a trip my Honda 2000 is always with me as backup. It's like a boot knife.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I run the shit out of mine when we dry camp. And I don’t need to run the Onan.

Much quieter and much better on fuel.

I’m Glamis right now for 4 days. Run the big one during the day when we need more than 1 ac. Other than that run this guy.

796C5E75-73C0-4CD1-99DB-CDCA5C76C4FF.jpeg

Mike K

Reaction score
I have learned about a different type of generator.
But thank you for the heads up on Predators.
Ive been looking and learning about gas generators for a month now.
I really wanted a Champion but the Predator with the coupon is awesome.
I was already to go and get the 3500 cuz I’m an Inside Track Member
Then I added up all the watts I need in case electricity goes out.
So now I want around 9000 watt Generator .
Still good with Predator … with coupon $1700
But … I just found out about Solar Generators.
In particular a company called “Bluetti” .
They have a solar generator that will give 10,000 watts .
Hey … even if there lying … 8500 is still enough for me.
You charge them with a couple of solar panels, or wall charge at home , cigarette lighter while you drive to your job site or campsite. t
It seems to be the way power stations are going.
$1500 plus $200 for panels gives me 10,000 watts and recharges everyday (at home or camp site in 4 hours)
and … the Predator weighs 300 lbs and the Bluetti 1500 is 40 lbs.
So … you charge up these new solar generators and they can even run a huge refrigerator ( my hot button)
and they stay charged up for a long time. Big reefer 2100 watts for 16 hours ( that’s fine cuz the panels will charge it up the next day)
You can keep them in the house too.
Quiet no lawn mower sound.
Also makes me think about the CA upcoming lawn mower ban in CA …
Does that mean gas generators too? Probably.
Anyway … these Solar generators seem pretty cool and I thought I’d pass on what I just learned.
Funny how when we are about to spend some serious money we research the hell outta it … glad I did.
And again… thank you for posting that coupon … without that I wouldn’t have done this homework.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
You charge them with a couple of solar panels, or wall charge at home , cigarette lighter while you drive to your job site or campsite. t
$1500 plus $200 for panels gives me 10,000 watts and recharges everyday (at home or camp site in 4 hours)
So … you charge up these new solar generators and they can even run a huge refrigerator ( my hot button)
and they stay charged up for a long time. Big reefer 2100 watts for 16 hours ( that’s fine cuz the panels will charge it up the next day)
Anyway … these Solar generators seem pretty cool and I thought I’d pass on what I just learned.
Funny how when we are about to spend some serious money we research the hell outta it … glad I did.
And again… thank you for posting that coupon … without that I wouldn’t have done this homework.

"Solar generator"

Bluetti looks to be a really well designed and made "battery box" with rechargeable batteries. It's a "portable power station"

Good overview: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradmo...rtable-power-station--b230-expansion-battery/

Walmart sells 'em:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Highly unlikely and that ban may be ruled unconstitutional like the rest of Newsomes decrees.
I use ours in the desert with the RV.

outboard_256

Reaction score

interesting but have you checked how long you can run this solar generator before it needs to be recharged. It might give you 10,000 watts of power but for how long? If it only weigh's 40 pounds it can't have that much batteries and the solar panels won't be able to keep up with any big draw. I was thinking about turning my toy hauler into a big solar generator (lots of solar panels on roof, big invertor, lots of batteries). For me to meet my current needs of my 3500 generator it would cost 10 times more and I would be still worried I wouldn't get a full charge if I didn't have enough sun light (clouds, tree's, winter time, etc). Having enough batteries to last all day and night is usually a big bank, then you need another big bank of solar panels to be able to charge it back up in a day. Just wasn't worth it unless I was living in it full time.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
interesting but have you checked how long you can run this solar generator before it needs to be recharged. It might give you 10,000 watts of power but for how long? If it only weigh's 40 pounds it can't have that much batteries and the solar panels won't be able to keep up with any big draw. I was thinking about turning my toy hauler into a big solar generator (lots of solar panels on roof, big invertor, lots of batteries). For me to meet my current needs of my 3500 generator it would cost 10 times more and I would be still worried I wouldn't get a full charge if I didn't have enough sun light (clouds, tree's, winter time, etc). Having enough batteries to last all day and night is usually a big bank, then you need another big bank of solar panels to be able to charge it back up in a day. Just wasn't worth it unless I was living in it full time.

You have to start doing the real world monitoring and energy audits on you loads to get your solar stuff sized correctly or determine the feasibility of running off grid solar/batteries. If you don't have an amp clamp and power meter and know exactly what you need and when you need it, its hard to just guess...

With the bluetti 200 you have 2000 watt hours of storage, so an coleman rv AC would run about an hour and a half assuming it never cycled off, longer if its not just running WOT. A residential fridge would run about a day and a half etc etc

Where solar and batteries payoff is when you use it all the time, not just for a weekend here and there or a couple weeks 2 or 3 times a year...

Its hard to put a price on silence and endless power once you get your solar built right... I was afraid of the ability to recharge off of solar at first since I am fully off the grid, but now it never crosses my mind.

I would need a pair of predator 3500 in parallel to match my solar inverter output, which was 6.8 times more expensive going solar over gas.....

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I got really motivated to build an off grid e-power system for the house. I ended up reseaching what I needed and purchased everything over a couple of months. 4 full size panels, two SLA 200 AH batteries (over 100 lbs each), vented/sealed battery box, low consumption pure sine inverter, smart MPPT controller, combiner box, ground rods & cables, custom quick connect battery leads, connectors, switches, fuses etc. Everything needed for a 1,000 watts via a 24v to 110 inverter with batteries in series. Enough to run led lights, a 450w cook burner, radio and the like.

Just after acquiring everything, fire fear caused Edison to shut our power down multiple times so I punted. Installed a switch at the panel and bought a 6500 inverter style generator. Works like a charm.

That said, I still have the solar stuff laying around. Thinking about buying one of those small home depot utility trailers, putting a square rack on it and hinge installing (vertically) the solar panels to it with the equipment mounted in the middle. The panels would flip up horizontally when in use and held in place with rods. Don't need it but could be a fun project.

05859285-3AD8-437A-BCEF-122D75CBD496.jpeg
E28AEF20-2BFD-40EE-8088-E8A08F425D22.jpeg
89A9A196-BDF4-43C1-815E-63F1AEDD6F2E.jpeg
64C9D80A-E0ED-4462-A3C9-F410243A182B.jpeg
A1B04BCB-6CE3-4BF8-BC21-5AD79AC7CDA5.jpeg
49D9691B-6F82-4647-98E4-6F68CDA22BB5.jpeg
7927AD54-1CE9-4306-B589-020E727C5AFB.jpeg
120F8B10-59E0-4AB5-903C-BDA20F79C86C.jpeg
D7CBB7F1-2F13-42D8-B58F-0D78F5599A87.jpeg