WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hidden EFI injection in a Blower Hat

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
A good friend brought this pickup to DaveH to check out some EFI related issues, The original shop had hidden all the injectors inside the blower hat to hide them, which was a cool idea, but just had some bad execution and the entire setup was leaking fuel. This stuff is like 10+ years old probably now, so we fixed it all.

IMG_20181022_162133.jpg

So they had this rail setup hanging inside the hat, bulkhead fittings with silicone:

IMG_20181020_142238.jpg

Rails were all tapped with NPT pipe fittings, i always say the same thing when i see this, pipe fittings are for your sprinklers not your fuel system, you can see how the tapered fitting has blown out the thin wall of the rail:

IMG_20181020_142317.jpg

the correct fitting is an AN ORB but not that many people take the time to do them because it requires properly porting the rail for the oring and proper compression of it, this requires special cutters, or special fixtures (i have both).

Also these inlet and outlet NPT fittings run in at 45 degree angles, if you know anything about how pipe threads seal, this is very bad ju ju.

IMG_20181020_142304.jpg

IMG_20181020_142258.jpg

Pipe threads required several uninterrupted threads to create a sealing mate, this entire thing was leaking like a soaker hose.

I scrapped all of it and started from scratch, started by machining out the entire rear of the blower hat, and machining a separate piece of billet with all proper ORB fittings, O-ring seals on the fasteners, and o-ring seals on the injector driver connector, then welding it into the hat:

IMG_20181018_175719.jpg

IMG_20181018_175736.jpg

IMG_20181019_113105.jpg

The brass tubes act as alignment dowels for the fuel, and have o-ring grooves on the outside that face seal to the newly machined fuel rail, which is actually a full billet fuel manifold, the 4 bolt holes are also o-ring sealed so that no air leakage will occur either:

IMG_20181018_175658.jpg

The above piece that is welded in mates to this newly machined rail/manifold:

IMG_20181018_175745.jpg

Mating end:

IMG_20181018_175749.jpg

It's also a full flow through, so fuel goes in one end, and out the other as opposed to two dead end rails, which could cause vapor locking issues, the transfer gallery, connected the left and right manifolds is ORB capped and safety wired:

IMG_20181018_175756.jpg

Injector wiring is all hermetically sealed in a fuel safe shrink wrap, including the connectors, custom made by the injector supplier this way for us. All ready to be sealed into the bulkhead connector here:
IMG_20181018_183751.jpg

Adel clamps and lots more safety wire everywhere, this old blower casting was not totally symmetrical, and was probably hand shaped, so even though the welded in manifold is visually in the center at the back of the hat, it's actually all slightly offset internally, you can see the injector hold downs are a little different left to right. They are also o-ring sealed and supported with cross bolts from the exterior of the hat.
IMG_20181019_113110.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
This ended up being a lot of really nice machining, that nobody will ever be able to see hidden under the hat :p

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This ended up being a lot of really nice machining, that nobody will ever be able to see hidden under the hat :p

Dude that looks like a fuck ton of work you did there!

Hope the owner appreciates the work you did, but holy shit...

WHY??? :p

(and the WHY is not to you, but the owner) Good grief.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Soooouper cool Racey. Sometimes peeps have done what you are going to do. Already. Just sayin. :)

Brian

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
That is impressive. I love it. It is a shit ton of work that very few people will ever realize what truly is going on there.

Stellar work [emoji106]

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Dude that looks like a fuck ton of work you did there!

Hope the owner appreciates the work you did, but holy shit...

WHY??? :p

(and the WHY is not to you, but the owner) Good grief.

I told them, dude lets just put a 1" injector plate between the hat and the blower, there is plenty of hood clearance, run some external rails, super simple. NOPE! i don't wanna see it!

OK then, time to get to work :p

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I told them, dude lets just put a 1" injector plate between the hat and the blower, there is plenty of hood clearance, run some external rails, super simple. NOPE! i don't wanna see it!

ANYONE can put it on a riser dooooood.....peepswithskillsputinwork

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Soooouper cool Racey. Sometimes peeps have done what you are going to do. Already. Just sayin. :)

Brian

No doubt, this isn't reinventing the wheel, it's just making a wheel (one of) the correct ways. Which just requires time and attention to detail. :cool:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
It always costs a lot more too not see it.

Is it just me or is there a crack in the 9th pic? Or is that just gunk in a parting line of the casting?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
It always costs a lot more too not see it.

Is it just me or is there a crack in the 9th pic? Or is that just gunk in a parting line of the casting?

Parting line of the casting, i looked at it pretty thoroughly, and got the whole thing real hot preheating it, the crack never came to the other side.

It does look pretty gnarly though. but there were several of those artifacts in the internal casting.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Big shame of it is...you can't see it. Very nice sir.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

I saw a setup on an blown injected with a hat at the run to the sun this weekend, that used 8 lines that looked like regular mechanical injection but had electrical injectors at the hat.

BamBam

Reaction score
IMG_2141%20(640x418).jpg

I saw a setup on an blown injected with a hat at the run to the sun this weekend, that used 8 lines that looked like regular mechanical injection but had electrical injectors at the hat.

Probably this set up is what you saw. Fairly common set-up. I like it, but it sounds like the owner who wanted it hidden wanted it hidden.

Racey - Beautiful work. I love the whole thing

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Beautiful work. Have not seen Gene's truck in years. I don't know how many years Bill Herrick worked on that project.

SLT Kota

Reaction score
Beautiful work! Do you have any more pictures of the car it went into?

bonesfab

Reaction score
Just to let you know Hilborn sells that now pre made.