WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

High Blood Pressure**ADVISE NEEDED**

Bear Down

Reaction score
Good morning All,

Was hoping to get some insight before I jump on the medication band wagon.. I am 44, in good shape, not over weight and hit the gym 3-4x a week and am really active with the kids. Not a clean eater, but don't eat junk food either and don't drink coffee much, about 4 cups a week. I've dealt with High Blood Pressure for years, typically in the 130 ish range which is not much. But last year it went up to the 140s and on my panel, my cholesterol was a little high. This year I have graduated to the 150's and a little higher on the cholesterol. Last year they put me on Microzide (water pills) and really didn't do much. This year they want to put me on Lisinopril 20mg, which from research is an ACE inhibitor I think. Any feedback or history with this medication from the brain trust? or recommendations on alternatives? I guess I can loose some weight, but if I do, i'll have to shed muscle and go from medium build to thin. I work in a high stress field, plus being in a Bears Fan doesn't help either. Thanks All

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
I've been on Lisinopril for the last couple years. 44 also. HBP runs in my family. I haven't had a problem with Lisinopril. Mine was doing the same thing, slowly creeping up. Started out on 10mg now up to 30mg. If I worked out more and quit my job it would probably drop down to where I wouldn't need it.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Good morning All,

Was hoping to get some insight before I jump on the medication band wagon.. I am 44, in good shape, not over weight and hit the gym 3-4x a week and am really active with the kids. Not a clean eater, but don't eat junk food either and don't drink coffee much, about 4 cups a week. I've dealt with High Blood Pressure for years, typically in the 130 ish range which is not much. But last year it went up to the 140s and on my panel, my cholesterol was a little high. This year I have graduated to the 150's and a little higher on the cholesterol. Last year they put me on Microzide (water pills) and really didn't do much. This year they want to put me on Lisinopril 20mg, which from research is an ACE inhibitor I think. Any feedback or history with this medication from the brain trust? or recommendations on alternatives? I guess I can loose some weight, but if I do, i'll have to shed muscle and go from medium build to thin. I work in a high stress field, plus being in a Bears Fan doesn't help either. Thanks All

Get rid of the job. Stress kills and is no joke. Watch all the sodium intake .

Bear Down

Reaction score
I've been on Lisinopril for the last couple years. 44 also. HBP runs in my family. I haven't had a problem with Lisinopril. Mine was doing the same thing, slowly creeping up. Started out on 10mg now up to 30mg. If I worked out more and quit my job it would probably drop down to where I wouldn't need it.

For the past 2 weeks I've been started to somewhat condition my body to be more cardio focused (which I hate). I've used my gym time to cardio and will focus on running in the next 30-60 days in hopes that my help with my blood pressure, because lifting isn't doing it for me. I don't drink daily, but I do weekly on the weekends (4-6 drinks), its a joy I look forward to when I want to unwind, makes the noise go away and just enjoy it, so I rather not go dry, which I don't think I am that point yet.

Keymyster

Reaction score
I went on Lisinopril (10 mg.) around 8 months ago. Didn't really do much for me except gave me a cough. Told the doctor I'm going off and now trying Super Beets. Made by humann. Now my blood pressure seems to be doing a lot better with no cough. See how this goes.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Get rid of the job. Stress kills and is no joke. Watch all the sodium intake .

I am by no means a salt person and in fact never add it to my food, but I suppose I should start monitoring sodium intake in the interim on what I do eat. Good point. I'm 22 years into this career... fat chance I will the lotto, plus being the sole income of a family of 5, I am taking zero risks on a new career venture..

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I think it was in the 90's... for some reason I never remember that #

The bottom number is the important one. You need to get a blood pressure machine and take your BP first thing in the morning. Then in the afternoon. You will see the difference your job does on your bp. Costco sells a pretty good one that is applied by your phone.

Bear Down

Reaction score
I went on Lisinopril (10 mg.) around 8 months ago. Didn't really do much for me except gave me a cough. Told the doctor I'm going off and now trying Super Beets. Made by humann. Now my blood pressure seems to be doing a lot better with no cough. See how this goes.
That is the side effect of Lisinopril that I worry about. My brother passed from Lung Cancer at 46 and was a non smoker. It started as a small cough but he ignored it for 5 months, so I want to make sure that I don't follow the path and miss the signs because I think its the medication.

Bear Down

Reaction score
The bottom number is the important one. You need to get a blood pressure machine and take your BP first thing in the morning. Then in the afternoon. You will see the difference your job does on your bp. Costco sells a pretty good one that is applied by your phone.
I think I will do just that today.... Thank you for the insight....

RodnJen

Reaction score
I’m not asking because it’s a bit too personal for a public board, but you may want to ask yourself about alcohol consumption and sleep. Both can play hell with each other and BP.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I am by no means a salt person and in fact never add it to my food, but I suppose I should start monitoring sodium intake in the interim on what I do eat. Good point. I'm 22 years into this career... fat chance I will the lotto, plus being the sole income of a family of 5, I am taking zero risks on a new career venture..

Trust me, you are no good to your family if you stroke out. I was in your shoes and was lucky to be able to retire at 43. No amount of money is worth it.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I’m not asking because it’s a bit too personal for a public board, but you may want to ask yourself about alcohol consumption and sleep. Both can play hell with each other and BP.

Very true with this statement. If you don’t sleep well, have asleep study done.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Go see a doctor.
I did, went last week which is when I was prescribed Lisinopril 20mg... just really would like to avoid medication altogether or if I have to take medicine, want to see whats the best. I guess what I am saying since the doctor said "Lets see how Lisinopril works" leads me to believe he is trying to figure out what works best for me.. Just want to avoid any pit falls.

dave29

Reaction score
I've been on Lisinopril 20mg for 8 years. Had no side efects and it lowered my blood pressure to an average of 130/70. 4 weeks ago I developed a cough. Went to the doc's had a chest xray that showed nothing in my chest. Doc had me on Advair for a week to see if my breating improved. It did not so she's switching me to another blood pressure med. We'll see how that works out.
This time of year it seems as though everyone is sick or coughing.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Very true with this statement. If you don’t sleep well, have asleep study done.

I am way better at sleep than before, 5 years ago, I would say sleep was a big factor, but not not so much now..

Asleep by 9- 10p.m, up at 330 a.m., at work by 4 a.m..Weekends up at 7 a.m. full 8 hrs or more.

Dry during the week, occasional beer/cocktail midweek if we have dinner somewhere, but typically dry until Saturday and Sunday 2-4 drinks (good ones). But at get togethers, I do tend to binge drink, not pass out or blackout, just a good run, but that is maybe once a month at the most.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Asleep by 9- 10p.m, up at 330 a.m., at work by 4 a.m..Weekends up at 7 a.m. full 8 hrs or more.

5-6 hours of sleep would absolutely kill me.
I need 7 hours or I get migraines...and other heath issues start to creep in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
High blood pressure doesn't give any real symptoms until it's too late.
My doctor first prescribed lisiniprol but it left me feeling dehydrated so I changed to Amlodipine
I hated taken pills so I quit. Then it hit me like a train.
BP is like an over inflated tire and can burst at any time
Literally ended up in the ER last week with an $1800 bill.
BP was 199 over 123
I take my meds now and going for my physical next month

Attachments

• IMG_20200130_184109_011.jpg
    IMG_20200130_184109_011.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 124

Bear Down

Reaction score
5-6 hours of sleep would absolutely kill me.
I need 7 hours or I get migraines...and other heath issues start to creep in.

I've always worked early hours, it's part of my industry... I start later , so that's how I get to squeeze in a couple more hours. Before I had to wake up at 130-200 am... 4 hours a night. To this day I wake up more refreshed and alert after sleeping a solid uninterrupted 4 hrs than sleeping 8hrs.. dont know why, just works that way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Universal Elements

Reaction score
My doctor first prescribed lisiniprol but it left me feeling dehydrated so I changed to Amlodipine
BP was 199 over 123

Good for you, glad you caught it in time. Could have been a lot worse.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
You said it yourself.... "you are in good shape, but not a clean eater"... Don't step over a dead body looking for a crime scene. Change your diet if you are trying to avoid medication and see how that works. I am a 10mg lisiniprol user for about 8 years. I can control it with diet and get off the meds but I choose buffalo wings over the last mile that would get me off of lisiniprol.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sodium intake and job stress...or family stress. Sodium is a big kicker. Watch sodas. We think of salt in food, not in drinks. Mountain Dew has a ton of sodium, as do some of the others. Work and family stress can be a tough one though. It needn't be major life altering stuff. It can be kids' grades or relationships, or a new piece of equipment at work...stuff you really wouldn't think bothers you much.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Start looking at labels. Its insane how much sodium is in everything we eat. Fast food especially. I have gotten azy but need to get back on the low sodium diet.

Bear Down

Reaction score
You said it yourself.... "you are in good shape, but not a clean eater"... Don't step over a dead body looking for a crime scene. Change your diet if you are trying to avoid medication and see how that works. I am a 10mg lisiniprol user for about 8 years. I can control it with diet and get of the meds but I choose buffalo wings over the last mile that would get me off of lisiniprol.
Fair enough and great statement of truth... same here on the last mile, I guess it all depends how bad I want to be off meds.

Singleton

Reaction score
My BP was ticking higher at the annual checkup and dr stated if that continues, then meds will be issued.
To avoid the meds, I did a few things
- at least 30 minutes of good cardio 3 times a werk
- strength training twice a week
- started eating cleaner, 1/2 cup coffee in am, no soda, fresh ingredients
- drink at least my body weight in oz of water daily (200lbs = 200oz water a day)
- cut back drinking, few drinks weekend only
- made sure to get 7 hr sleep nightly

BP numbers have returned back to normal and no meds

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
My friends dad had high blood pressure and high cholesterol for years and got tired of the handful of pills and lifestyle he felt stuck with. So he met this one nutritionist and he told him to do 20/4 Intermittent Fasting and keep the sodium intake and carbs low in his diet during his 4 hour eating window. The other 20 hours have as much water as possible along with plain black coffee. After about 6 months he lost 25 lbs and was feeling better and was able to drop half of his medications and after a year he had completely normal levels in cholesterol and blood pressure, had lost about 50lbs and didn’t experience joint pain anymore and felt energized and clean after the whole experience. All with mild work out activities and generally being active with walking and small resistant workouts 2 times a week. Since that one year he just watches his food still and a couple times a year he does the 20/4 Fasting schedule for 3 months a couple times a year to keep healthy and clean up his body. That was over 5 years ago and he still is healthy and free of his medications.

Not saying its a cure all but do some googling and youll find some stories about it working. I know a few people personally that have lost 100s of pounds and lowered numbers by doing IF.

Bear Down

Reaction score
My friends dad had high blood pressure and high cholesterol for years and got tired of the handful of pills and lifestyle he felt stuck with. So he met this one nutritionist and he told him to do 20/4 Intermittent Fasting and keep the sodium intake and carbs low in his diet during his 4 hour eating window. The other 20 hours have as much water as possible along with plain black coffee. After about 6 months he lost 25 lbs and was feeling better and was able to drop half of his medications and after a year he had completely normal levels in cholesterol and blood pressure, had lost about 50lbs and didn’t experience joint pain anymore and felt energized and clean after the whole experience. All with mild work out activities and generally being active with walking and small resistant workouts 2 times a week. Since that one year he just watches his food still and a couple times a year he does the 20/4 Fasting schedule for 3 months a couple times a year to keep healthy and clean up his body. That was over 5 years ago and he still is healthy and free of his medications.

Not saying its a cure all but do some googling and youll find some stories about it working. I know a few people personally that have lost 100s of pounds and lowered numbers by doing IF.
I've been dabbling with this for the past 3 weeks... Since I eat dinner about 5 -6 p.m. and start work early, I've can typically get to around noon time, but struggle after that. Coffee 1st thing in the morning helps, but workouts SUCK because I have zero strength due to the fast. Was he fasting daily for those few months?

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
BP was 199 over 123
With those numbers your lucky you didn’t stroke out
Very lucky

Keymyster

Reaction score
That was one of the first questions was when I went to the doctor. SLEEP He even gave my wife a questionnaire about my sleep habits.

JD D05

Reaction score
I went on got a eye exam at the age of 34 eye doc says you have high BP. I went to my doc and he put me on a med that didn't work. He than put me on Lisinopril and it works great. For me it runs in the family, usually if your dad or grandpa had high BP the med that worked for them will work for you.

Starloans

Reaction score
YOU MUST LOOK AT THE ENTIRE PICTURE OF YOUR HEALTH.

Family history
Alcohol intake
Salt
Fat
Sugar
Caffine
Exercise
Less RDP

I've been on BP Meds since 1987. I hate it. I was still active duty. My family has a history of health probs including heart, BP and diabetic. I'm overweight now. MOST of my BP probs are weight related. You could lose some weight and may offset some of the high BP. Plus I'm old. And the older you get the more you have to do to control health issues. EVERYTHING you eat out in public is loaded with SALT, SUGAR and FAT. Eat at home more. Or make your own food and take it with you. You must pay more attention to that stuff. Exercise is important. Drink less.

You are at a fork in the road. Change your lifestyle or take meds. Sorry. I'm more than 10 older than you and I wish I could go back to where you are now.

My primary health provider is pretty dam good. It took him a few months to get it right but my BP is under control. Usually127/84 at any give time.

YOU MAY NEED A COMBINATION OF MEDS to control your BP. Sorry.

I used to take a diuretic and I hated it. Heres what I take now.

Lisinopril 20MG
Amlodipine 5MG
Metprolol 25 MG

That sounds extreme but it's not too bad. Ask your primary provider about combo drugs in small doses instead of just one higher dose. Usually a good provider can look at your blood work, and EKG and family history and make a good determination of your meds.

YOU MUST PARTICIPATE IN YOUR HEALTHCARE. If you go to a doc and say I have this prob, they will throw a pill at your. Instead, ask questions. Be honest about your health. Tell the doc your goals. Ask them the best way to get there. Most docs are frustrated with patients because they don't do what is recommended. So they treat the symptom instead to solve the problem.

Have you had a STRESS TEST??? That where they hook you up to a machine and put you on a treadmill. Get one.

Good luck

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Mine is 144 over 86, without taking bp meds. Just started metoprolol, 12 mg, I'll see how this works out. Lots of water and low sodium diet has helped. Exercise too.

Dan'l

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Been on BP meds for close to 20 years now, and I'm only 48. I went to donate blood and they wouldn't take it because my BP was 163/118. They told me either go straight to my doc or they would call an ambulance. HBP runs in the family, and I had no idea I had it. Tried a few different meds to see what worked for me and Lisinopril was the right one. The first one (don't remember the name) made me feel like I couldn't breathe and was constantly trying to catch my breath. Your doc's comment of lets see how this works is right on. Some do well with one med, some don't and need something different. I'm now on a combo of Lisinopril and HCTZ. BP now averages 125/80.

Diet, Exercise, and keeping the extra lbs off helps tremendously, but isn't the fix all for everyone.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Lisinopril for last few years, high BP runs hard in my family. DR dropped my dosage this year after dropping weight and working out more. no side effects. what ever you do, get it under control. High BP is a silent killer.

petie6464

Reaction score
Many good recommendations as to modifications to lifestyle in order to bring your BP into safe ranges. Sometimes medications as discussed are in order at least in some capcity and time. Not a common thought or planned treatment by many however it's your body and ultimately your decision. The diastolic BP is very important; Think of it as the resting pressure in your arteries and organs. If that number is in an unsafe range it can cause damage to those organs so obviously getting that down is extremely important, an ACE my be something to consider. Hopefully through lifestyle change you could get off of the medication, however that part of this approach is where most fail. Get a treatment plan started now.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Been on BP meds for close to 20 years now, and I'm only 48. I went to donate blood and they wouldn't take it because my BP was 163/118. They told me either go straight to my doc or they would call an ambulance. HBP runs in the family, and I had no idea I had it. Tried a few different meds to see what worked for me and Lisinopril was the right one. The first one (don't remember the name) made me feel like I couldn't breathe and was constantly trying to catch my breath. Your doc's comment of lets see how this works is right on. Some do well with one med, some don't and need something different. I'm now on a combo of Lisinopril and HCTZ. BP now averages 125/80.

Diet, Exercise, and keeping the extra lbs off helps tremendously, but isn't the fix all for everyone.
I'm on Benazepril(lotensin) and HCTZ combo for the last 3-4 years now.
Usually test at 125/70 +/- a few points on each. Before meds I was pumping in the 170/95+ range.
I've not really noticed any side effects or if I did it's just normal now.

pronstar

Reaction score
I hate the word “diet” because it implies temporary.

“I’m on a diet”...but soon I won’t be.
“I’m on a diet”...but I can have cheat meals.
“I’m in a diet”...and if this one doesn’t work, I’ll try another.

IMHO we don’t need diets.

We need good eating habits that we can physically and mentally stick to, with little effort/thought.

If it’s too complicated, requires too much thought or effort, then we aren’t gonna stick to it...it’s that simple.

Eat real food.
Lots of plants.
Don’t be afraid of fat.
Avoid sugar, simple carbs and anything with a long ingredients list.

The best best foods to eat don’t have nutrition labels.
And no one gets fat from eating fruits/veggies.

And supplements are just that...they supplement a good diet, they don’t replace it, so don’t rely on supplements to counteract poor eating habits, because it ain’t gonna work.

You keep putting garbage into your body, it’s gonna catch up to you.

Celiac has forced me to change my eating habits, and my lifestyle.
But I don’t diet.

I still get folks who want to take me to “this awesome sandwich shop” on my cheat day.

When you have good, lifelong eating habits, it’s what you do, it’s who you are.
There’s no alternate option.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I have a family history of high BP and heart disease. Been on 20mg of Lisinopril for years now with no side affects and it controls my BP pretty good.
Now if I could control my sodium and alcohol intake I'd be in a much better position. I'm 61 now.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I hate the word “diet” because it implies temporary.

“I’m on a diet”...but soon I won’t be.
“I’m on a diet”...but I can have cheat meals.
“I’m in a diet”...and if this one doesn’t work, I’ll try another.

IMHO we don’t need diets.

We need good eating habits that we can physically and mentally stick to, with little effort/thought.

I couldn't agree more. When I say diet, I don't mean "diet". I mean good eating habits that don't put us in a calorie excess.

boater250s

Reaction score
I've been taking high blood pressure medication for 26 years. High blood pressure isn't something you should take lightly. You could be the most fit person and still need to take medication. In my case is genetics, my grandparents, parents and siblings had high blood pressure. One of my young daughters is borderline right now. There's a reason they call it the silent killer, you can feel you are in the best health and still have this illness.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I will try and keep this fairly simple, i'm a 15 yr paramedic so i may end up going a little too deep but hopes this helps.

There are few different types of medications used to control hypertension, what works for some may not others and there will be a trial and error period. Its important to know the different meds and their mechanism of action. Lisinopril is what is known as an ACE inhibitor, thus meaning that it effects a certain chemical that regulates blood pressure that is found in the lungs. ACE stands for angiotension converting enzyme, that is what is found in the lungs which is why some people develop the cough. Metoprolol, labetolol and most meds that end in "lol" are beta blockers, that means they control blood pressure by regulating heart contractility via chemicals. Beta blockers and calcium channel blockers both work to control rate and blood pressure chemically, (dont mix the 2 together btw). The other type of medication used is HCTZ (hydrochlorithiazide) which is essentially a water pill, it works by removing excess fluid from around the pericardium (sack that surronds the heart).

The heavy hitter medications are the calcium channel and beta blockers, being that they control the rate, and contractility of the heart, they will not allow the body to compensate if there is a drop in blood volume or pressure. When i mention compensation, im referring to when there is a fluid shift or loss of volume, the heart rate will increase to keep perfusion, but if the rate is controlled the body cant do so and people end up getting dizzy and passing out.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

pronstar

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. When I say diet, I don't mean "diet". I mean good eating habits that don't put us in a calorie excess.

[emoji106]

So much of life’s successes derive from our frame of mind.

Rather than trying something...actually becoming something is often the motivation we need to make big changes.

Same with understanding the “why” we do things:
I need to change how I eat.
Why? Because my doctor told me I have high cholesterol.
- vs -
I need to change how I eat.
Why? Because I want to be active and part of my grandkids’ lives.

And trust me, completely changing how we eat ain’t easy at first. Old habits die hard, especially habits we’ve had all our lives.