WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

High Blood Pressure**ADVISE NEEDED**

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Possible sleep apnea?

Go get super beets.. it’s all natural and works incredibly!

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Been on meds for years.. High bp runs in my family. I couldnt take the lisinopril cough..it never stopped. Been on losartan potassium and amplodipine which help greatly. Now if if i could just stop drinking soda and control my stress levels id be off them... But for now meds are a must..

cofooter

Reaction score
As has been said, your diet/lifestyle affect your BP results. Mine is typically good but if I have it measured after a bender, or change in eating habits, it definitely shoots up toward unhealthy. If you really want to know what your BP could be, I'd go clean for a month, cut all of the crap out that can affect your BP and get measured. At least then you'll know if it is something you can control via lifestyle change, or if you really need meds to control it.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
some good advice in here.... but the FIRST thing you should do is buy a machine that reads your blood pressure ($35-50 on amazon), and start taking it 3-4 time per day and log it in a journal. You would be surprised how much blood pressure fluctuates throughout the day, and you have doctors trying to put you on lifetime medication based off 1 reading every 6 months to a year.

Monitor it yourself for 30 days, and then go from there.

My reading is always higher at the doctors office.... because I HATE being in a hospital. I logged my readings in a journal for 30+ days along with my weight and what I had ate that day.

oldschool

Reaction score
If you’ve been checked for an Aortic Aneurism or Dissection, get checked. One of the main contributing factors is high BP over an extended period of time. Aren’t you in produce?

Bear Down

Reaction score
If you’ve been checked for an Aortic Aneurism or Dissection, get checked. One of the main contributing factors is high BP over an extended period of time. Aren’t you in produce?
I haven't been checked for that , i'll discuss on my next appointment next month. Yes I am in produce, in DTLA.. export/consolidation

Bear Down

Reaction score
Possible sleep apnea?

Go get super beets.. it’s all natural and works incredibly!

I don't think so... I am a heavy sleeper, so I just sleep Loudly..LOL...

My wife is a very slight sleeper, she says I snore, especially after a bender, but not bad though cause she would wake me up if I did.

oldschool

Reaction score
I haven't been checked for that , i'll discuss on my next appointment next month. Yes I am in produce, in DTLA.. export/consolidation
Ok, I thought so, I think we spoke before. I work for a citrus /grape shipper in the valley. Definitely ask about it, I never knew I had one till I had a couple CT scans due to an accident.

Wedgy

Reaction score

My wife is a very slight sleeper, she says I snore, especially after a bender, but not bad though cause she would wake me up if I did.

HBP "The Silent Killer..." Sleep Apnea will kill you too. I'd wager you may have it. My SIL with no HI, worked for the School District up in Kingman. She ignored her HPB, never sought treatment... RIP Debbie. Your Dr. may have mentioned Stroke...

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Good morning All,

Last year they put me on Microzide (water pills) and really didn't do much. This year they want to put me on Lisinopril 20mg, which from research is an ACE inhibitor I think. Any feedback or history with this medication from the brain trust? or recommendations on alternatives? I guess I can loose some weight, but if I do, i'll have to shed muscle and go from medium build to thin. I work in a high stress field, plus being in a Bears Fan doesn't help either. Thanks All

I had a Liver Transplant with all the meds they game me my Blood pressure went up to the high 150's, So they gave me Amlodipine 10mg once a day.
Now its down to 128-130
I thought the high blood pressure was going to be a problem with my CDL ( Commercial Driver's License ) But with the Amlodipine no problem.
Just DO NOT tell DMV or the CDL Doctor you are on Amlodipine or mark the CDL DMV form you take blood pressuer meds, All will be fine.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Ok, I thought so, I think we spoke before. I work for a citrus /grape shipper in the valley. Definitely ask about it, I never knew I had one till I had a couple CT scans due to an accident.
thanks for the insight

drop me an e-mail [email protected] and see if we can connect business wise... Maybe you can help me reduce costs and stress LOL.

Bear Down

Reaction score
HBP "The Silent Killer..." Sleep Apnea will kill you too. I'd wager you may have it. My SIL with no HI, worked for the School District up in Kingman. She ignored her HPB, never sought treatment... RIP Debbie. Your Dr. may have mentioned Stroke...
I didn't see much concern in face or urgency.. just one of those, "lets keep it in line". maybe if I was older or overweight he might have been more urgent.. IDK...

Yeah, I better check on the Sleep Apnea as well, I'm typically tired at the end of the day, but who wouldn't be getting up this early for 22 years.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Loud snoring is a sign of sleep apnea.
And apnea can lead to high BP and the release of even more stress hormones, which are very bad.

But you do say you wake up refreshed, which is generally a sign that you don’t have sleep apnea.

Are you often tired throughout the day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TCHB

Reaction score
I did, went last week which is when I was prescribed Lisinopril 20mg... just really would like to avoid medication altogether or if I have to take medicine, want to see whats the best. I guess what I am saying since the doctor said "Lets see how Lisinopril works" leads me to believe he is trying to figure out what works best for me.. Just want to avoid any pit falls.
You can always go for a second opinion which I think is always a good idea.

ultrajet

Reaction score
Pharmacist here . Lisinopril is a great place to start given your numbers . Cough is common side effect. It’s nothing to be concerned about just annoying . If it becomes a problem have your doc switch you to an ARB( angiotensin II receptor blocker) like losartan . Get same benefits as ACE inhibitor but less issues with adverse effects . Beta blockers are an option but being that you’re an active guy it’s probably not a good choice due to problems with fatigue . Calcium channel blockers like amlodipine could be an option if you fail on the ACE inhibitor or ARB. Water pills only as a supplement to help rid excess sodium . Other than that eat as healthy as you can , drink less if you can , increase cardiovascular fitness , less stress , adequate rest , etc . Good luck!

Reaper1

Reaction score
Be careful with the Lisinopril. Was on it for years and had an allergic reaction. Tongue swelled up after Desert Storm one year and I ended up in the ER. Now I'm on Hydrochlorathiazide and Amlodipine. Lost 40 pounds one year and asked the doc if I could stop taking meds. He said with my family history it would be beneficial to stay on them. As stated above, it's all about the diet, exercise, sleep and better way of life. Good Luck!

mobldj

Reaction score
just got back from my doc.take losartin.todays bp was 90 over 65.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Loud snoring is a sign of sleep apnea.
And apnea can lead to high BP and the release of even more stress hormones, which are very bad.

But you do say you wake up refreshed, which is generally a sign that you don’t have sleep apnea.

Are you often tired throughout the day?

No I'm not technically, but by 5 or 6 pm sitting on a couch I start to get tired. Between work early morning and 2 hours at the gym , I'd assume most would. But I'm not sleepy at work or during daylight, as long as I'm active I'm golden

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bear Down

Reaction score
Pharmacist here . Lisinopril is a great place to start given your numbers . Cough is common side effect. It’s nothing to be concerned about just annoying . If it becomes a problem have your doc switch you to an ARB( angiotensin II receptor blocker) like losartan . Get same benefits as ACE inhibitor but less issues with adverse effects . Beta blockers are an option but being that you’re an active guy it’s probably not a good choice due to problems with fatigue . Calcium channel blockers like amlodipine could be an option if you fail on the ACE inhibitor or ARB. Water pills only as a supplement to help rid excess sodium . Other than that eat as healthy as you can , drink less if you can , increase cardiovascular fitness , less stress , adequate rest , etc . Good luck!
Great information, will be pushing myself to get heavy into cardio in addition to my weight training program.. thanks for the insight into the medication options!

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
For the one that want a natural help to low blood pressure (help)
Eat/ use
Eat garlic a lot
Fresh beats
Super beets
Flax seed
Fish oil soft gels
Hibiscus tea cold or hot brew
NO Salt

Plus I use meds , both are low dose
Diltiazem
Hydrochloride

If it wasn’t for the natural food
I would have to take a larger dose to keep the blood pressure in check
For me less drugs is better

Bear Down

Reaction score
For the one that want a natural help to low blood pressure (help)
Eat/ use
Eat garlic a lot
Fresh beats
Super beets
Flax seed
Fish oil soft gels
Hibiscus tea cold or hot brew
NO Salt

Plus I use meds , both are low dose
Diltiazem
Hydrochloride

If it wasn’t for the natural food
I would have to take a larger dose to keep the blood pressure in check
For me less drugs is better
Appreciate the natural alternatives... I think super beets will be a priority and focus on lowering sodium. For the life of me I dont know the sodium scale on foods, carbs calories and fats I'm good at...

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
..:I keep my blood pressure medication on my nightstand and every morning I look at it as I get up and get dressed... OK not funny... I do take Enalapril and should also be taking Metaprolo...But if my blood pressure is down I leave out the metaprolo...
... Just checked my BP which is 128/82 close enough for me:cool:

Last edited:

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Appreciate the natural alternatives... I think super beets will be a priority and focus on lowering sodium. For the life of me I dont know the sodium scale on foods, carbs calories and fats I'm good at...

A burger and fries will jack my pressure up 5-8 points . Lot of salt in this type of food. it Sucks

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Be careful with the Lisinopril. Was on it for years and had an allergic reaction. Tongue swelled up after Desert Storm one year and I ended up in the ER. Now I'm on Hydrochlorathiazide and Amlodipine. Lost 40 pounds one year and asked the doc if I could stop taking meds. He said with my family history it would be beneficial to stay on them. As stated above, it's all about the diet, exercise, sleep and better way of life. Good Luck!
Same here . Had the cough. Be on it for few years
Than my lips got swollen
Ended up in ER

ultrajet

Reaction score
Same here . Had the cough. Be on it for few years
Than my lips got swollen
Ended up in ER

Yes this a very rare side effect of ACE inhibitors called angio edema . Tongue and lips swell and nothing will stop it other than stopping the medication and time . Some patients end up having to be intubated to breath due to swollen tongue . Very scary but extremely rare . It is not an allergic reaction so Benadryl and steroids have minimal effect . Less problems with ARBs and now that they are available as generic and cheaper these days I would recommend them over the ACE inhibitor unless you’re a diabetic where the ACE is preferred therapy for hypertension.

pronstar

Reaction score

Good article here:

Bear Down

Reaction score
Good article here:

I love chicken and sandwiches...culprits in this article.

In looking at the super beets nutritional value and that of fresh beets, it has a ton of potassium and vitamin c. Would taking supplements of these 2 assist?

pronstar

Reaction score
I love chicken and sandwiches...culprits in this article.

In looking at the super beets nutritional value and that of fresh beets, it has a ton of potassium and vitamin c. Would taking supplements of these 2 assist?

I bet they would assist if you’re deficient.
I have to take daily Vitamin D supplements due to a deficiency.

Just note that supplements do just that...they supplement good eating habits.

They don’t counteract poor eating habits [emoji106]

BingerFang

Reaction score
Great information, will be pushing myself to get heavy into cardio in addition to my weight training program.. thanks for the insight into the medication options!

x2 on cardio and good food. My dad is 5'7 and was about 215lbs, high blood pressure and taking medication for it. About just over a year ago I convinced him to buy a mountain bike so he could start riding with me and my buddies. He's now turning 61, off his blood pressure meds, 180lbs wearing 34 jeans and can outride most of my friends. He cut out drinking during the week, stopped eating bread, tortillas, rice, potatoes (chips & fries included) and he's now a stud. You can do it man!

Bear Down

Reaction score
x2 on cardio and good food. My dad is 5'7 and was about 215lbs, high blood pressure and taking medication for it. About just over a year ago I convinced him to buy a mountain bike so he could start riding with me and my buddies. He's now turning 61, off his blood pressure meds, 180lbs wearing 34 jeans and can outride most of my friends. He cut out drinking during the week, stopped eating bread, tortillas, rice, potatoes (chips & fries included) and he's now a stud. You can do it man!
Carb reduction, increased Cardio and watching sodium intake is what I will fight to overcome. I am great at drinking water. I am typically at 80-90 oz per day...its pretty easy, but occasionally 40-50 oz day, but rare. Dig the DASH diet

D19

Reaction score
Medical Doctors are not trained in finding the actual cure or problem that is causing the disease, they are trained to manage disease by way of medicine. They have almost no training in nutrition.

Before you add medicine to your life routine, look into adding minerals and vitamins to your diet that you body needs to function properly.