WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

High Def TV Takes

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
MOJO TV has been running the movie CHRONOS.
Give it a look,, a really cool pix.

I took the neighbor girl to Costco to buy HDTVs for her local sports bar and what a difference over her old standard TV's.
She had no clue whatsoever about HDTV.
Blindsided her as to the quality difference.

We went back and she bought several more.
Her dad is brass with the LAPD, and I think she is the "ghost owner" of the bar. LEOS can't own bars.

Prices are right.
The Vizios are good, and prices hard to beat, but like RD said, ya get what ya pay for with items for the home.

I put a cheapie HDTV Vizio in the kids room, for the Playstation 3 and Ali and I have the Sony Bravia, a big difference in pix quality.

Our cable company is slow to add HDTV channels, may switch to direct TV and direct internet.
Anyone use Hughes sat tv?

Boatcop just got a HDTV.
What ever became of Boatcop? Don't see BC on the boards much anymore.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm not sure which one my dad bought, but I hate it. (He loves it) I might be blind as a bat, outta shape, but my hearing is like a dog.. His TV uses some sort've color wheel that spins, and as soon as you turn it on it puts out this super high pitch whining sound (spinning the wheel). Most everyone in the house can't hear it, but it drives me nuts, to the point where that's all I can hear when I'm watching TV over there unless the volume is turned up ridiculously.

My advice say away from the color wheel deals.

As far as Boatcop, his presence does seem a little more quiet lately.. I know he called "Laird" (some surfer guy) on hotboat a fag and some people jumped his shit for it, other then that maybe crime is on the rise in Parker and he's busy? LOL

RD

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
We have a 4 year old Sony 57' rear-projection TV and a Dishnetwork 622 DVR box. It runs two TV's, the Sony in HD and a smaller SD TV out in the garage.
I am happy with the Sony, obviously there are better pictures out there now, the technology moves so fast it is hard to keep up. Dish Net and DirectTV, IMHO, are good for the consumer because they keep the pressure on each other to increase the number of HD channels being offered. The pendulum swings back and forth, but neither is ever going to get way out in front of the other.
I've been with Dish since shutting down my 10' C-band system probably 10years ago.
The big deal now being discussed on DBStalk.com is how each service is doing "HD Lite" to get more bandwitdh out of expensive Sat. transponders.

The future is going to be interesting, I think the days of OTA TV, and even Sat TV are numbered. FIOS, and other stuff are going to push down the costs of delievering programing, leaving all the Sat TV providers in the dust.

Angry Inch

Hung like a light switch.
Reaction score
I wouldn't go with Directv, or any other dish, for your ISP. Go with DSL if you ditch the cable.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We have a 4 year old Sony 57' rear-projection TV and a Dishnetwork 622 DVR box. It runs two TV's, the Sony in HD and a smaller SD TV out in the garage.
I am happy with the Sony, obviously there are better pictures out there now, the technology moves so fast it is hard to keep up. Dish Net and DirectTV, IMHO, are good for the consumer because they keep the pressure on each other to increase the number of HD channels being offered. The pendulum swings back and forth, but neither is ever going to get way out in front of the other.
I've been with Dish since shutting down my 10' C-band system probably 10years ago.
The big deal now being discussed on DBStalk.com is how each service is doing "HD Lite" to get more bandwitdh out of expensive Sat. transponders.

The future is going to be interesting, I think the days of OTA TV, and even Sat TV are numbered. FIOS, and other stuff are going to push down the costs of delievering programing, leaving all the Sat TV providers in the dust.

Hope so.
What ever became of wireless cable?

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I bought one of those vizio's at costco. I dont watch alot of tv but it seems pretty good for the price. When I was doing my parents house they kinda went apeshit on the equipment, the tv is a pioneer elite (picture is really nice) the rest of the equipment is denon, centrally located whole house system. I stayed there while they were out of town and all that hightech crap just pissed me off. its all controlled by this overpriced remote control that you need a degree from MIT to operate. they think its the greatest thing ever, as long as they like it.

GottaJet

Reaction score
I've got a 50" Panasonic plasma and Direct TV. I love them both, and Direct TV just about doubled the number of HD channels recently.