WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

High desert life?

MohavValley

Reaction score
Been looking at moving "up the hill" to Hesperia on the mesa, Apple valley, oak hills, phaelan.

Housing is cheaper, more land, closer to river Johnson valley, Vegas, G is about the same.

Anybody live up there now? How's the crime and the people, any advice?

Firemanjoe

Reaction score
I’ve lived in the high desert since I was a boy. Now I live in Apple Valley and I work for Apple valley fire. Like anywhere, there are areas that are nicer and there are areas that are higher in crime. It depends what you’re looking for, but i would be happy to show you around or give any details.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Been looking at moving "up the hill" to Hesperia on the mesa, Apple valley, oak hills, phaelan.

Housing is cheaper, more land, closer to river Johnson valley, Vegas, G is about the same.

Anybody live up there now? How's the crime and the people, any advice?
Where do you work?
That was the big factor when we considered it decades ago.

I work with a gal (In Mira Loma) that lives in Apple Valley.
She loves living there but hates the commute.
Snow in the mountains has been a hassle, accidents, and holiday traffic of people exiting the city, as well as all the Friday night going to river, Vegas, desert, etc traffic.
Can make it a 2 plus hour tug from 15/60 or longer.

shane-o

Reaction score
I would definitely factor in the commute!!! I love it in the HD buttttttt the commute down the hill gets worse every day. Like firemanjoe said its like anywhere else you have your good areas and your shit holes. I would stay around the oakhills hesperia area or apple valley area. but if ya have to commute down the hill you wont like apple valley due to being so deep off the freeway. Just my two cents.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Take a good look at that parking lot of cars headed up the cajon daily and fridays:eek:. That steered me away from buying up there years ago.

69hondo

Reaction score
I live in Hesperia and drive up and down the hill everyday. It fucking sucks but that being said I still love it up here. I can leave from my house in my buggy or dirt bikes and be gone all day. That much closer to the river or Vegas which might not seem like much until its going home sunday. Like said above there are good parts and bad anywhere. Definetely do some research before settling on where. Any questions hit me up been here since 87.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I have a friend who lived in Phelan and liked it. But then again, he moved to Fallbrook instead.

I had a foreclosure project up in Apple Valley. I stopped in at the Chamber of Commerce to ask some questions about town. They called the neighborhood where I had to "Felony Flats." LOL

Traffic kills joy.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I had a yard off of central for 10 years, and worked there just as many. I can tell you that the locals say that there is two kinds of weather in the high dez. Hot and windy, and cold and windy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have a friend who lived in Phelan and liked it. But then again, he moved to Fallbrook instead.

I had a foreclosure project up in Apple Valley. I stopped in at the Chamber of Commerce to ask some questions about town. They called the neighborhood where I had to "Felony Flats." LOL

Traffic kills joy.
My cousin lives in felony flats... pretty bad area and I grew up Nextdoor to Pomona... we have another instructor that lives here. He’s been in Victorville 15 years. We work in Buena Park. He leaves at 330 to get here at 5. We leave here at 430 he gets home at 630 or 7. He doesn’t go home every night. I couldn’t do it. Only reason he does it is because his mortgage is 1500 a month. His wife stays home and doesn’t have to work. He won’t ever own a lake house or a new boat but it works for him and his family

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
I have lived in Phelan now for going on 41 years, my family moved here in 1978, I love it here but it isn't for everyone. If you would like some specific info about this area or even the High Desert in general just send me a PM. These pics are from a photographer friend.
58377477_10216316265552011_3721226486355591168_n.jpg
57726659_10216316473717215_4268510615284219904_o.jpg

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I moved up to Hesperia about 10 years ago to save some money. Unfortunately after my 1 year lease ran out I moved back down the hill as I couldn’t handle the commute. Driving during rush hour both ways was awful. I couldn’t imagine how bad it is today.:eek:

I would suggest driving up/down the hill during your normal commuting times before making a decision.

redone76

Reaction score
I have lived in Phelan now for going on 41 years, my family moved here in 1978, I love it here but it isn't for everyone. If you would like some specific info about this area or even the High Desert in general just send me a PM. These pics are from a photographer friend.
View attachment 747594 View attachment 747593
I like Phelan a lot but I drove through Pinion Hills on my way home from El Mirage a couple weekends ago and was blown away at how nice the city looked.

AEA

Reaction score

Traffic kills joy.

Where is the area called "Felony Flats" ?

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Hondo, that pic is "Dad of the Year" contender Bud!! Well done.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
For the most part, it seems like there's not enough off ramps for the people getting off the freeway. I use to live in the valley, I could also never do the commute.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Like others, your biggest issue is going to be whether you can deal with the commute. The commute down the hill has been terrible for 30+ years. The Daily Press regularly ran articles in the late '80s and into the '90s of people leaving at 3:30 to 4:30am to commute to LA. I'd bet the commute to downtown LA (or other areas closer in) is far worse today.

I lived in Hesperia, then Victorville from 1988 to 2000 (I basically left in 1996 to attend Chico State though). My Mom now lives in Jess Ranch (Apple Valley), and my Dad has lived in Phelan since 1988. Dad loves it. Mom, I guess too. I hated it, and rarely return. The desert was great, the wind I just couldn't deal with.

I'll defer to those currently living there for places to live...

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
My Grandparents built a house and moved to Phelan in 1988. Grandma rarely left the house, Grandpa hated it. I spent a lot of weekends up there as a kid. Great place if you're into to desert toys.

Grandma is long gone and Grandpa passed about 3 years ago...so I spent some time up their working on the house. All I remember is it's always fucking windy. I hate wind.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Been up here since '92, commute has gotten far worse. I work odd hours and seldom deal with it, but my wife deals with it every day. There's a new housing project in the works called Tapestry Homes. It is scheduled to bring more that 15,000 housing units. So I can't imagine the drive is going to get any better. And maybe it's just me, but it seems like the number of pajama pants and face tattoos has skyrocketed over the past 10 years or so.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Have friends and family lived and/or live there. The commute is the worst. I would consider heading east to Yucaipa or Beaumont/Banning before moving “up” o_O

MohavValley

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I figured commute would be a major factor but I work from the house, so no commuting for me. Old lady teaches in SB/Rialto area and commutes against traffic 76 mi RT every day now. It takes her 1.5 hrs every day min currently. If we moved up the hill the distance would be the same but not sure on the time with traffic, per my phone it's about the same time it takes her now. Plus there are a couple districts up the hill that have a better pay scale than where she's at now so she'd be making more working up the hill than what she makes now if she can get in.

I'd be able to reduce my mortgage down to a point that I'd have it paid off in 6.5 years and I'd have my toys at my house vs. in storage and I'd have a workshop and garage space for the cars, which I have to park on the street now.

So...it really all comes down to quality of life the area & neighbors have to offer.
I'm looking at 4 areas,
1) The mesa around Ranchero & Peach
2) The mesa/oak hills (East of 15 to main to Santa Fe, to Ranchero)
3) Oak Hills/baldy mesa/Phealan (west of 15 to Phealan Rd, to Johnson Rd, south to the valley) on a paved road only here.
4) Apple valley, Desert Knolls area from river bed to the 18, south to yucca Loma or sitting bull.

I've looked at crime maps and baldy mesa shows less crime but houses are more expensive and I don't know if it's just less police dept reporting or actually less crime? The mesa shows a lot of crime, so I assume get some big dogs and secure your property good. Apple valley shows moderate crime so I guess it's be the same as the mesa?

I checked out Phx & Preskit and with how expensive houses are there for what you get, the High Desert was a better alternative as it's more than 100* a lot less days than phx. And houses are less than the skit.

Last edited:

hawgty55

Reaction score
Im listing this week. Will be listing in the 400k rang 2125sqft 1300sqft garage 4bd 2.5bath and office 1.3 acres contingent on purchase of house in Texas.
20181127_160006.jpg
Screenshot_20190421-143145_Maps.jpg
20180729_152855.jpg

hawgty55

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I figured commute would be a major factor but I work from the house, so no commuting for me. Old lady teaches in SB/Rialto area and commutes against traffic 76 mi RT every day now. It takes her 1.5 hrs every day min currently. If we moved up the hill the distance would be the same but not sure on the time with traffic, per my phone it's about the same time it takes her now. Plus there are a couple districts up the hill that have a better pay scale than where she's at now so she'd be making more working up the hill than what she makes now if she can get in.

I'd be able to reduce my mortgage down to a point that I'd have it paid off in 6.5 years and I'd have my toys at my house vs. in storage and I'd have a workshop and garage space for the cars, which I have to park on the street now.

So...it really all comes down to quality of life the area & neighbors have to offer.
I'm looking at 4 areas,
3) Oak Hills/baldy mesa/Phealan (west of 15 to Phealan Rd, to Johnson Rd, south to the valley) on a paved road only here.
4) Apple valley, Desert Knolls area from river bed to the 18, south to yucca Loma or sitting bull.

I've looked at crime maps and baldy mesa shows less crime but houses are more expensive and I don't know if it's just less police dept reporting or actually less crime? The mesa shows a lot of crime, so I assume get some big dogs and secure your property good. Apple valley shows moderate crime so I guess it's be the same as the mesa?

I checked out Phx & Preskit and with how expensive houses are I High Desert was a better alternative as it's more than 100 a lot less than phx. And houses are less than the skit.

You've obviously done your homework and yes your definitely looking in all the right locations.

outboardrick

Reaction score
Lots of High Desert folks on here.... I lived in Hesperia from 1969 till 2002, went to Joshua Circle Elementary School, Hesperia Jr. High and Apple Valley High. Worked at Valley High Toyota/Honda from 1978 till 2002..... I wonder if I ever ran into any of you clowns :)

Firemanjoe

Reaction score

I'm looking at 4 areas,

I checked out Phx & Preskit and with how expensive houses are there for what you get, the High Desert was a better alternative as it's more than 100* a lot less days than phx. And houses are less than the skit.

There are a few other places in the south end of Apple valley that would fit your wants also.

MohavValley

Reaction score
Joe, what are some street boundries I should be looking at? ( I'm a RE broker so I have access to the MLS).

Also any of you guys ever have "security issues", GTA, burglary, theft, etc?

Trying to judge how bad it really is, I live in SGV and there's crime in my area just want to know if it would be out of the pan and in to the fire or if it'd be better or the same?

69hondo

Reaction score

I'm looking at 4 areas,

I commute to about the same area your wife does bloomington/rialto from Hesperia. I leave the house at 5am and it takes an hour, going home can be anywhere from an hour to who knows but there are other ways up the hill if need be. My wife is also a teacher in Hesperia school district.

69hondo

Reaction score
Joe, what are some street boundries I should be looking at? ( I'm a RE broker so I have access to the MLS).

Also any of you guys ever have "security issues", GTA, burgurly, thieft, etc?

Trying to judge how bad it really is, I live in SGV and there's crime in my area just want to know if it would be out of the pan and in to the fire or if it'd be better or the same?

My parents have been on the mesa since 87 and not one incident. I have been in my house since 01 and not had any problems either. I dont live on the mesa though.

Bails

Reaction score
Check out Spring Valley Lake area. If you live there you can boat there.

MohavValley

Reaction score
Hondo,
How's Hesperia & Apple valley School districts & the kids & parents?

She's in at ,7-7:30 and off at 3:00pm so according to my phone it's about 45-1hr each way unless there's a accident or "construction", seem about right?

Last edited:

69hondo

Reaction score
Hondo,
How's Hesperia & Apple valley School districts?

Hesperia Is a great school district. one of the highest paid from what my wife tells me. I dont know about the pay and benefits in apple valley but I do hear that their district is very good as well.

Firemanjoe

Reaction score

Also any of you guys ever have "security issues", GTA, burglary, theft, etc?

I would look in the area of roundup and maybe Allegra vista or Navajo (a couple mile radius) Theres some decent homes in the area with plenty of large shops and it’s not too much further than the Mesa in Hesperia.

Lifes Rough

Reaction score
I have been in Pinon Hills now for, 16 years and love it. I live on a paved road, Have natural gas etc. Like a normal city house on 2.5 acre. Not sure about now but when we moved here the Snowline school district was rated # 3 in the state

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Moved to Hesperia in 1971 from Inglewood. Lived in Apple Valley since 1988. I too went to Joshua Circle, Hesperia Jr. High, Apple Valley High. Class of 80'.
I didn't care for it when we moved - no sidewalks etc- but we soon had dirt bikes and were at the river every summer so it became home quickly.

Like all places there are good and bad areas, it seems you're looking in the right places.

outboardrick

Reaction score
Moved to Hesperia in 1971 from Inglewood. Lived in Apple Valley since 1988. I too went to Joshua Circle, Hesperia Jr. High, Apple Valley High. Class of 80'.
I didn't care for it when we moved - no sidewalks etc- but we soon had dirt bikes and were at the river every summer so it became home quickly.

Like all places there are good and bad areas, it seems you're looking in the right places.
Yore 5 years younger than me :)

Carrera205

Reaction score
Crime has gone up rapidly in the last 10 years. Most of the areas resemble the bad parts of Los Angeles. The cajon pass is a nightmare. If you have to commute down it for work prepare yourself for HOURS of traffic and the possibility in the winter of being stuck on it during snow storms. I own a home in spring valley lake and it is one of the last areas that are decent however that area is now seeing an influx of crime and section 8 housing. Its cheaper to live in the HD yes which can attract the wrong type of people. I have lived there for 26 years and my parents still live there. Their home is one of the last on their block that is actually taken care of and has a lawn and Doesn't look like a dump with broken down cars on it. I finally was able to move to OC. Where I am in an apartment but crime is almost non existent and I know my kids will grow up n a decent area. I would advise against moving there but that's just my 2 cents. Look at the map for violent crime or the Facebook group ''Victor valley news group''. If you do move there under no circumstance move to Adelanto, Eagle Ranch in VV or VV north.

Last edited:

LAVEYNICK

Reaction score
Crime has gone up rapidly in the last 10 years. Most of the areas resemble the bad parts of Los Angeles. The cajon pass is a nightmare. If you have to commute down it for work prepare yourself for HOURS of traffic and the possibility in the winter of being stuck on it during snow storms. I own a home in spring valley lake and it is one of the last areas that are decent however that area is now seeing an influx of crime and section 8 housing. Its cheaper to live in the HD yes which can attract the wrong type of people. I have lived there for 26 years and my parents still live there. Their home is one of the last on their block that is actually taken care of and has a lawn and Doesn't look like a dump with broken down cars on it. I finally was able to move to OC. Where I am in an apartment but crime is almost non existent and I know my kids will grow up n a decent area. I would advise against moving there but that's just my 2 cents.

People seem to forget that spring valley lake is in Victorville. Yes it’s badass inside your small lake community but once you leave the small community, your in Victorville.

Carrera205

Reaction score
People seem to forget that spring valley lake is in Victorville. Yes it’s badass inside your small lake community but once you leave the small community, your in Victorville.

Exactly. And I bought there for the lake life and the exclusivity or so I thought. Besides work I would try and not venture too far from there for that reason.

Carrera205

Reaction score
Here's some story time for you. On the last day of my move to OC I was in the UHAL and my fiance got stuck at the light on bear valley and the 15 freeway. Someone cut thru the AMPM and cut in front of her keeping her behind at the light instead of behind me. She got irritated because that person broke the law to try and avoid the traffic that is always there. She honked the horn and two large males (gang bangers) came out of the car screaming and hollering and went to her widows pounding on the window trying to break it out. Mind you our 4 month old was in the back seat. my fiance cracked the window to let them know she was a female and thankfully they got back in their vehicle. She called me crying hysterically and I knew that moment we made the right decision to leave that place because thats the type of people up there now. Just go visit the Walmart on the 15 and bear valley one evening and you will see.

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
I’ve lived in the high desert since I was a boy. Now I live in Apple Valley and I work for Apple valley fire. Like anywhere, there are areas that are nicer and there are areas that are higher in crime. It depends what you’re looking for, but i would be happy to show you around or give any details.

So...do you know Shrek?

calkid

Reaction score
Where is the area called "Felony Flats" ?
Basically Thunderbird Rd between highway 18 and Central Ave. Others may argue the boundaries but that is the general area. 30 year resident and builder in the High Desert/ Hesperia.

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
I think everyone does. But to answer your question, I’m his engineer.

Small world. My oldest, and one of my closest friends. Met in 4th grade, he was in my wedding, and now we still boat and camp together all the time. Lol

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
I grew up in A.V. Off of Apple Valley Road/Yucca Loma. Nice quiet area. Graduated from A.V. High School

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have been in the high desert since 1987.

It has changed allot since then. There areas that are much better than others.

I love one the east side of Apple Valley. My neighborhood is decent and there is better.

My home is in the low 300k range. Look it up for reference 21144 Beaujolais way.

There is a nice small tract just under construction by hwy 18 and Apple valley road. Nice homes big RV access 400k.

If I had the money I would buy a place at the top of the pass on the west side of the freeway Oak Hills.

I have been commuting for 11yrs to Colton/riverside. It is getting worse but I leave at 330am and on the way back home by 3pm.
55min to get to work home in less than 1.5hrs