WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

High output marine alternators- anyone running?

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Anyone running a high output alternator? Like a Mechman or Balmar etc. Seems like the marine high output alts cap out at 170 amps But you get most of it at idle which is a good thing. Thinking of swapping mine. Anyone currently running one. Any issues?

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I wouldn't run a non marine in a enclosed engine hatch. I've installed mechman alternators in cars they are pretty solid do they make a marine unit?

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
I wouldn't run a non marine in a enclosed engine hatch. I've installed mechman alternators in cars they are pretty solid do they make a marine unit?

yeah, they make a marine 170

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Well, that is good and bad. Bad is unlike in your car and or high on fentinal under a cops knee, these do not get enough air to breathe. Most guys that I’ve seen run these will replace them with more frequency than a stock 70 amp unit. They put out a lot more heat. Nice to have I get why. But can’t see the unreliability issues.

So, how big is that stereo?

fishing fool

Reaction score
Stop by wired4sound and get some AGM batteries, full river or odyssey.

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
Stop by wired4sound and get some AGM batteries, full river or odyssey.

I have odyssey’s but with my stock 496 70 amp alternator it was pissed trying to bring agm’s back up I found a stock replacement marine 120 amp haven’t really put it to the stress test yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishing fool

Reaction score
Depending on how much stereo you are running with the right amount of battery you do not need them hooked up to the boat at all. Just need a starting battery for the boat.

Adam had BIG stereo and was running 5 group 31 batterys just for the stereo and could run all day. Go home and plug in to two inverters to charge them back up.

I have odyssey’s but with my stock 496 70 amp alternator it was pissed trying to bring agm’s back up I found a stock replacement marine 120 amp haven’t really put it to the stress test yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Let's say you actually did have an alternator that actually could put out 140 amps...

You would need a 0 or 1 gauge cable coming off the alternator to take advantage of that.

So be careful when upgrading electrical components. You'll need to upgrade all the related wiring as well.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Let's say you actually did have an alternator that actually could put out 140 amps...

You would need a 0 or 1 gauge cable coming off the alternator to take advantage of that.

So be careful when upgrading electrical components. You'll need to upgrade all the related wiring as well.

I have a standard battery cable going straight to the battery switch. Will be replacing all the cables with welding cable this winter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rrrr

Reaction score
I have a standard battery cable going straight to the battery switch. Will be replacing all the cables with welding cable this winter.

Why welding cable? Ancor marine wire has finer stranding for better conductivity and 105°C (221°F) rated insulation. It's also tin plated for corrosion resistance and available in red and black. Number 2 AWG will carry the load, it's rated for 170 amps at 75°C.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Make sure you use marine grade heat shrink on all your connections. The kind with the glue on the inside of it.

Moisture and wiring don't mix.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Why welding cable? Ancor marine wire has finer stranding for better conductivity and 105°C (221°F) rated insulation. It's also tin plated for corrosion resistance and available in red and black. Number 2 AWG will carry the load, it's rated for 170 amps at 75°C.
Got this cheap. Like 100 bucks for 100 foot.