WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

High School 1989

Gelcoater

Reaction score
8B9B73EB-1D67-4A1C-B615-41E7E90EED32.jpeg

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Where in Detroit? Dearborn? I grew up in the Detroit northern suburbs, moved out in ‘87 to Denver. Still return often, love the summers and boating in MI.

‘89 pffft. You guys are kids😂
How far north?

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I wonder if most people feel that way? Class of 2008 myself. I felt like those were the absolute best days for Havasu right before the crash. All kinds of cool boats of all sizes that lots of people had, not just the few and far between of MTIs and DCBs like this go around. I was at the river every other weekend in those days, year round. Some great times.

Dont know if I told any of yall, but I stopped at MCs Market down at Parker Dam the last time I was in town and the owner still recognized me after more than 10 years since the last time I walked through those doors. He greeted me with a loud happy, "Junior!!! How are you??!!"

'00-'08" was the peak for Havasu/Parker as far as I was concerned. I love the place still, but those are the days my memories are from
08 is the year we built and brought the boat to Havasu, although we wouldn't move here until 2010. A lot has changed in that short time. Class of 70 BTW.:oops:

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
Who had a smoking section at their high school?
We mainly had “no smoking areas”. It was a continuation school. We earned time to get out of class 10 minutes early. This was to smoke. Great Fukn times. Class of 84 here!!!!

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
We mainly had “no smoking areas”. It was a continuation school. We earned time to get out of class 10 minutes early. This was to smoke. Great Fukn times. Class of 84 here!!!!
We had a legit smoking area and it was PACKED at snack with all these young smokers. LOL

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
Something else is that video was not taken with a cell phone and then downloaded right away to social media like today.

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
We had a legit smoking area and it was PACKED at snack with all these young smokers. LOL
Yea. Our whole school was mostly smoking area. They mainly posted the no smoking area.

Me and a friend had a place that we could “obtain” cartons of cigarettes on the weekends. We would take orders on Friday and when I pulled in the parking lot on Monday everyone would meet me and pick up their orders.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
Yea. Our whole school was mostly smoking area. They mainly posted the no smoking area.

Me and a friend had a place that we could “obtain” cartons of cigarettes on the weekends. We would take orders on Friday and when I pulled in the parking lot on Monday everyone would meet me and pick up their orders.
I think they started putting the brakes on that shit soon after I graduated.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Anyone? Curious whether my HS was a unicorn.
I’m pretty sure there was one at Napa high when I went there 79-82. I didn’t smoke then but gathered that’s where the smokers hung out. 😁

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
C
No. regular HS in the IE. I always wondered how common that was.
Corona High had one until the very early eighties.
I was Class of 79 at Notre Dame in Riverside. The ease with which we left campus with (and without) permission was ridiculous. Sold cold beers out of my buddy's van at many dances.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
At my high school…….

It was OK for a teacher to date a student, if the student was over 18. My English teacher was dating one of my hot classmates. It was so open, I am just assuming it was legit. They made no secret of it.

Back then, it wasn’t uncommon to smoke pot with the hip teachers. At the parties after the football games, it was usually one of the coaches that bought the kegs of beer. Teachers would be at these parties too.

My drama teacher was a real stoner. It was like being in a class taught by Tommy Chong. It’s why I took drama. He was funny as hell too, and a dam decent surfer.

I truly had the ultimate high school job……… Monday thru Thursday, I worked at a waterbed showroom at The Mall. I was the only employee, on these days. I got there at 3 and closed at 9. I held court on a modern living room set up, where you walked into the store. This was the place to hang out. Fast Times at Ridgemont High did not have my character, but if it did, it would have been a blockbuster! Lol I had my first threesome with a pair of Hot Dog On A Stick girls.(it was a good test of the waveless mattress) Of the 25 different bedroom sets throughout the showroom……… Only the ones that were in the display windows went unused by me. That left me approx 20 other bedroom displays to use……. And that I did! I didn’t even have to go hunting……. Every hook-up came to me. Mainly the girls that worked at the mall. My friends were all super envious. I actually sold quite a few waterbeds too! Lol This May seem hard to believe, but I actually learned a lot on that job. Mainly how to sell and how to close. The girls were just a nice by-product of the job.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
We didn't have a smoking area, but everyone that smoked did it at the east end of the campus. The street was Arden, and they were the Arden stoners. The security guard, BooBoo was on board. I wasn't a smoker, but I was in the same class as @mash on it . We are bad, we are great, we are the class of 88!

Last edited:

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Corona High had Mr. Hussen who lived for a while at the local nudist colony. The things he would say to my Ditto pants wearing sister and her friends, would get you fired today easy.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Smokers corner at Workman High!

kurtis500

Reaction score
“ Lol I had my first threesome with a pair of Hot Dog On A Stick girls.”

LOL!! I knew a couple hotties that worked there in high school. Metrocenter in Phoenix though.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Yep! Thats exactly what it looked like in high school in 89

Open campuses were a thing, in all 4 years of high school I spent 1 lunch on campus... good times

My school had an open campus, but 2 kids were killed in a car accident (during lunch) the year before I started HS. They closed the campus my Freshman year. ☹ I am the youngest in my family, so I got to hear all the great stories of an open campus, but never got to live it

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
We had an Unofficial smoking section. It was a big tree stump up on a hill. We called the people that hung out there Hill Monkeys. I had many friends that smoked, but I never did.

Backlash

Reaction score
Laramie Senior High in Wyoming. Class of 91. We had an open campus and a continual running bet with our smoking hot math teacher. She would let us sneak out through the window to go get donuts for the class. Her only request was to "Do it quietly." That NEVER happened because my buddy drove a '67 Corvette to school. Hard to be quiet with a 327 an a manual trans. 🤣 Man those were good times!!

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
Boca High Class of 1987. Last day of school.

I smoked the tires leaving the parking lot my last day in my 68 LeMans. Got on the road and red and blue lights flashing behind me. Cop gave me a BS fix-it ticket. Said my headlights were too low because the back was jacked up. Next day I let air out of the airshocks (LOL) and got it signed off.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
We had one, it went away the summer of 86. Lots of people came back upset in our Jr year. Amazing to think back that today you can hardly smoke in public, but in the 80s, we had HS smoking sections.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Graduated in 76, freshman and sophomore smoking was allowed anywhere outside the buildings. Junior and senior years they had designated smoking patios. Principal was able to beat your ass with his paddle which ceased in 74 or 75. Got my ass beat a few times in that office. Bend over, hands on the table with feet spread and damn that big ass paddle would set your ass on fire.
1659979855795.png

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Where in Detroit? Dearborn? I grew up in the Detroit northern suburbs, moved out in ‘87 to Denver. Still return often, love the summers and boating in MI.

‘89 pffft. You guys are kids😂

Yes, Dearborn. Went to Maple Street Elementary.