WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

High School

rchelm19

Reaction score
What were your grades in high school and how do you think it affected you?:drink:drink

milkmoney

Reaction score
I was required by my parents that A's were acceptable and if I got a B then next report card it better be an A... So I had no choice ...

I feel I didn't learn anything in the last two years of high school. I think college and work experience helped me more in life than high school did [emoji202]

mbrown2

Reaction score
Went into high school a 4.0 student...came out a 2.0...way too many distractions with partying, girls, and sports...Did it affect me no...the steps I took after high school put me on the right course.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Not good in HS and barley made it out. Since then I think I have done pretty good for myself though.

untitled14.jpg

Wadernation

Reaction score
College prep catholic HS. A's and B's. Went to SDSU..went crazy party status..failed my first few semesters. Surprised i got through it but graduated. I think it was helpful for the long run though.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
What were your grades in high school and how do you think it affected you?:drink:drink

There is two kinds of education.

The kind you get between the ears and the kind you get between a rock and a hard place.

I was an average student in High School. In college, 3.85 for undergrad, 4.0 for Graduate school.

I can say I learned a few things in High school that served me well, but for the most part is was a waste of time.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
There is two kinds of education.

The kind you get between the ears and the kind you get between a rock and a hard place.

I was an average student in High School. In college, 3.85 for undergrad, 4.0 for Graduate school.

I can say I learned a few things in High school that served me well, but for the most part is was a waste of time.

I think you learned what took me too long in College.

I was a 4.0 in high school, and it really didn't take that much effort. I went to college, freshman year, didn't really study, still 4.0. 2nd year, I load up on the upper division classes, and guess what, finally ran out of talent, 1.6 gpa first quarter. I never learned how to work the process of things beyond my natural ability, I reduced the workload and was an A/B student again with tons of studying and dedication, it no longer was easy, I worked my ass off, I found the point where natural ability ended for me, but it did take time and I graduated college I think with barely a 3.0. I wish high school would have challenged more so I would have realized that eventually I would have to put in real work and need true study skills.

Grades in high school did make getting into the school and programs I want pretty easy, I feel it was worth it, but as someone that doesn't even use my college degree, I am not saying they are the only thing that matters. My degree is in psych, but I do analytics in the chemical engineering field, you can learn everything you need in a job, if you can get it, but knowing "how" to learn, either from school or experience, is the most important, may paths to the same destination, school can definitely be that for some, but not the end of the road if the learning to learn happens in the field so to speak. :thumbsup

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Straight A's, editor in chief of the school paper and honor roll. Spent half my life chasing oil around the world and the other half working in power plants. It may not look like my high school and college years has anything to do with my career but an education is never wasted.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Terrible grades.

Knowing what I know now, it affected me deeply.

When I look around and see all the buckets of money some people make? Knowing that just a few years of college and the right degree could have me on that path? Or even just a good business degree?

I've done Ok because I've worked Hard. At least I knew enough to do that.

RodnJen

Reaction score
3.2 in high school, 2.2 in undergrad and 3.9 in grad school. I wish I would have worked harder in all three. If for nothing else, just so it would have opened up a few more doors for me along the way. I actually got a lot out of high school. College and after was just applying what I already learned to the next level.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
3.2 in high school, 2.2 in undergrad and 3.9 in grad school. I wish I would have worked harder in all three. If for nothing else, just so it would have opened up a few more doors for me along the way. I actually got a lot out of high school. College and after was just applying what I already learned to the next level.

Out of curiosity, what are your two degrees in? I still debate on doing a masters, but I graduated undergrad like 15 years ago, so its been a long time, and I change my mind a bit on what degree would best serve me now.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what are your two degrees in? I still debate on doing a masters, but I graduated undergrad like 15 years ago, so its been a long time, and I change my mind a bit on what degree would best serve me now.

Business Admin./Accounting from Fullerton and Master of Public Policy & Administration form Long Beach. I also held my Series 7, 63 & 65 for a time but didn't really like sales. Didn't do grad school until my mid-30's, hence the better grades.

rivergames

Reaction score
Ahhhhh High School. Fun times at most of the 5 high schools I went to! Somehow I graduated at Venice though :skull

Luckily I've always been talented with construction and mechanics!

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Business Admin./Accounting from Fullerton and Master of Public Policy & Administration form Long Beach. I also held my Series 7, 63 & 65 for a time but didn't really like sales. Didn't do grad school until my mid-30's, hence the better grades.

Going to be 37 myself in a couple of months, I am out of direct sales myself these days, but do quite a bit of sales analytics and some program management, definitely need to start climbing some rungs on the ladder though, I made more in sales at a much lower level, glad to see someone has had success in grad school later in life, thanks :thumbsup

riverroyal

Reaction score
barely graduated. D average. Straight to construction, after a year of surfing and fucking off. My only regret is Id like a new career. BUT, had a gotten all A's and went to college Id probably want a new career!
In general IM much better than I should be. It wasn't looking very promising during high school. But I could make a pipe out of anything :rolleyes

riverroyal

Reaction score
on the flip side, son number 1 is on year 2 at university, All semesters on the deans list. Son number 2 is straight A's in high school. The must see my pain:)

Your ad here

Reaction score
Average student. B's and C's 9th and 10th grade. 11th still did good and 12th I just scraped by. Got tired of the college BS being pushed down our throats and no vocational classes. 12th grade I did independent study for the required classes and took ROP and community college classes for the vocational classes I wanted to take that Tesoro didn't offer. I could be doing better but the effect I feel is that HS doesn't really prepare anyone for life. I graduated in 2007.

DWC

Reaction score
Barely graduated high school. Made up 4 classes in the last month at night school. Did 3 yrs at Mt. Sac before they told me I really shouldn't be there anymore. One of the few regrets I have is not taking it serious. Had to work a lot more hours, spend more time on the road and take a bunch of ass whoopins to offset the lack of a degree.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Cal High School Proficiency graduate here... mid term during my junior year.
Went right to Palomar college to get an Associates in Accounting.
Got straight A's then my teacher encouraged me to do something else.
He was a CPA and was bored so he became a teacher and did taxes.
So I decoded to enroll in Drafting school and got an Associates in Drafting and Design and worked my way into Design Engineering.
CAD was the newest thing after I graduated, so I continued college to learn the latest CAD tools.

I may have done better had I ignored the teacher and continued to become a CPA.
But I'm earning a really good salary.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Did decent in HS with probably a 3.6-3.8 average. I can't remember. The purpose of HS was to get to college. The purpose of college was to enable me to get a better initial job. Now that the initial job has passed, my employers just look at my current sales numbers and portfolio. They don't care about anything else.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I got all the letters, though only through the grace of a science teacher did I not get an F on a report card. I found high school not the least bit challenging or interesting. Looking back I would have been better served graduating early.

Sailed through trade school and later my apprenticeship.

To date, no one has ever asked to see a report card or GPA or even my ACT scores.

The real takeaway of high school was the motivation to get out.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

For me... undergraduate degrees in Electrical Engineering and Physics (Syracuse). Master's Degree in Applied Physics (Cornell). But, I worked full-time as an undergraduate and it took me 7 years to get my degrees. I did my Master's in 3 while I worked full-time as well.

I worked in a factory (GE) for all of that (15 years) and I worked on the line, stock rooms, fork truck driver, machinist, and engineer

I always say degrees in hard sciences will serve you well. MBA's are the bane of my existence.

High School was easy and if you went to class and payed attention you really didn't have to do much. I got mediocre grades because I didn't do homework, but aced the tests.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I effed on in high school, too much partying and caring about trucks and girls. With that being said I went to summer school from 9th to 11th grade. Having summer school replace your semester grade was great and I received a 3.2 gpa
I then effed off not wanting to go to college or work and finally one day I realized I want a boat and a house. So I put my head down and worked hard to get where I am at. I bought a boat last year and own a condo in Orange County. I have some college. Never graduated and I make the most for most people my age. However I am trying to further my career and not having college is not helping me. I think that is stupid that I need a college degree to even get an interview when my job experience speaks volumes, but it is what it is. By not going to college I am not mounded in debt though. Long story short an I at where I want to be? Just about. Did having good grades in ha help or prevent me? Not at all! I think hs today is a waste of time and not needed. Maybe English and math but everything else shove it.

cofooter

Reaction score
Almost flunked out of high school, continued barely getting by in first two years of community college before I got serious. Finished Bachelors with a good GPA, later went for Masters and graduated with honors. Setting goals turned it around for me, a discipline I lacked when I was younger.......

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
I got A's & B's in high school and pretty much the same in College.

We had accounting class in high school as an elective. I got 105% in the class with all the extra credit and I ended up getting the "Business" award at graduation. :D

My kids do well in school but to me grades are not everything. I want them to be a balanced human being. I want them to fail at some things and then dig themselves out of it. There's a lot more to that but I gotta go do some more tax returns. :p

JD D05

Reaction score
3.3 with no effort...should have put less in.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I think 3.0.

Didn't get my shit straightened out until after college. Then I realized we can make money by working smart.

The after college training is the most important thing whatever that may be for you.

As was said already, HS gets you into college, college gets you the job. What happens then after college is what is important.

I turned out alright. Got trained (myself) and then started the business and we are doing alright ;) There is plenty of opportunity out there for hard workers that are not dumb asses.

With that being said there is a lot to be said for getting into the right "big-named" college that gives the graduate more opportunity.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... really didn't learn anything in high school it was more or less just a big party this it was a couple years before drugs hit the campuses ... but I took all college preparatory courses as my mother was a schoolteacher and forced me into it ... after high school the party was still on worked in a gas station then got a job at Litton Industries the big electronics corp...worked my way up in my four years there but realized I was working around some very educated people ...when I left there I went directly to college... in my two years of college I really learned how to learn... I was going to transfer from community college to UCLA until I read the curriculum available ...I didn't want to do any of it for the rest of my life so I did not transfer...Probably learned more at Litton than I would have had I finished my bachelors at UCLA ...Dunno???... also learned in life hang out with smart people who know their shit it rubs off...
...for years I have thought I had a 3.5 in college but I recently found a grade sheet that had two C's on it so maybe I've just been fooling myself for all these years???...

Advantage 1

Reaction score
B average in good old Brea-Olinda. Wildcats, class of 1989

B average in CSUF - Titans, class of 1994

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
I graduated high school about 10 credits short. How they never caught it, I don't know and don't care. Lol

I think I was about a B- to a C average. I fucked around during high school and was barely there during my senior year. I was gone surfing, snowboarding, and skateboarding all the time.

My worst subject was math ... which is ironic because I work with numbers all day.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
I did not do very well, considering the misunderstood realm of ADHD back then, and it was tough to focus and do what I was supposed to do to get good grades...how does it affect me now, well I work 2 jobs and work hard, and im doing ok, could be a lot better, but it is what it is... I do wish I had gotten better grades, and gone to college of come sort.

Victory32

Reaction score
School was EASY! Life was a bitch! Was told in HS that I had "it"! That the hardest thing to live with was a "potential".... 39 years later, I'm retired at 54 realizing that I should have been somebody. Potential ain't shit without drive! I'm good, but with a little push, I know things would have been different. I was my dad's biggest disappointment..... Still miss him!

kiethco

Reaction score
1.7 gpa in high school, went to college years later and made the Deans list. I don't think in my case high school had an impact. I did feel woefully unprepared for anything but factory work. Back then schools were great at prepping the masses for the industrial age.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Thinking back...

I was a good student my freshman and sophomore years. Went to summer school, had good grades and was ahead on credits.

Started going to the river almost every weekend sometime in my junior year.

That was the beginning of the end for me! LoL

copterzach

Reaction score
Mostly A's and B's in high school. Spent most of my time rodeoing. Got a full ride to a junior college for 2 years and a full ride to Texas A&M. All on a rodeo scholarship. Got my degree in Animal Science Pre Vet. Tried 3 times to get into vet school. No luck. So I got a job with Round Rock fire department north of Austin. Three years later started flying. So my high school and college learning really didn't help much.

I think the ass kickings from my parents and working on a work over rig and at the ranch taught me more than any schooling I got.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Graduated HS by the skin of my Teeth, Junior College for two years with AA because "it was the thing to do" in the 70's , went to work and graduated from the school of "hard knocks" , Own and operate three successful businesses

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I did horrible in High School and I'm sure people thought I was doomed. However I had the good fortune of being born to smart parents who continued to steer me in the right direction even though I wasn't a school person. Instead of going to college I went to the river. I worked and made descent money enough to buy jet skis and dirt bikes and go to the river constantly. My parents always stayed on me to do better.

One thing I always knew about myself was that given a good opportunity I would run with it and kick but and be successful and I was fortunate that opportunity came along. Hard work and a little luck is the short version of my story.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Was fortunate to attend a good public Calif HS with some (not all) good teachers. The best was a very liberal (I was and remain conservative) US History teacher. He taught us that most all historical events have two avenues of thought. Often, each have some merit. Don't lose sight of that. Some of today's politics make that difficult to even imagine. I did well in HS. I feel it prepared you for whatever you wanted to be prepared for. I went on to college and did well. At first look, my college major does not relate to my later life long occupation. But, it prepared me for life. I guess that's what it is all about. I enjoyed most of my career and it supported my family well. I am now comfortably retired. Not rich, but comfortable. Like I said, I was fortunate to attend a good high school and learned, and remembered, some lifelong lessons. I hope that kind of public HS education is still available today.

HST4ME

Reaction score
I hated high school and 99% of the people and teachers in it. Luckily a few understood my strengths and steered me to them. I finished with a 3.5 mainly due to job co op and night classes at a local community college where the maturity level was much higher. Had it been a more conducive environment rather than like a mid 80's jock and preppie against the outcasts movie it probably would have been more enjoyable.

College was meh and boring. 3.7 ishd that but my heart and mind were elsewhere. Part of my major was music which led me on a cool journey in life and I'd like to do my masters soon. At 44 I work for myself, no kids or wife, everything I have is mine and the snap on dude is the only person i owe money to. Next step is getting out of this goddamn state of winter curse. After 30 years in the marine field I at least deserve that lol.

530RL

Reaction score
I was raised by my parents and grandparents and they made one thing perfectly clear.

You don't work for perfect grades because you are going to use trigonometry later (you do even when you don't realize it), but you work for perfect grades because achieving those grades can only be accomplished if you learn to apply whatever skills are necessary to tackle whatever task is thrown at you, and tackle it efficiently, smartly and perfectly. They didn't care if I had to work hard or not, they only cared about the results and wanted me to understand how to separate activity and effort from results. Because results is all that people pay for whether it be with a grade or a large check.

It was simple for me to understand and made me recognize what school was really about. It was about learning how to achieve results.

Maybe that is why I don't have children....... :D

K-DOG

Reaction score
College prep catholic HS. A's and B's. Went to SDSU..went crazy party status..failed my first few semesters. Surprised i got through it but graduated. I think it was helpful for the long run though.

Almost sounds like me. Did you go to HS in San Diego? St. Augustine for me.

Singleton

Reaction score
High School was an adventure. Mostly of my grades were B's with a few A's and C's. Once I turned 16 (sops year), I was working either at a pizza joint or at Rawhide in Scottsdale so I could help my mom keep us in the same house without selling it before I graduate.
College was C's until I hit my major classes. I walked out of UofArizona with a dual degree and a 4.0 in MIS, 3.8 in Accounting, and my overall accumulate was a 2.89. Those degrees have paid for themselves multiple times over the last 20 years.