WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

High School

Wadernation

Reaction score
Almost sounds like me. Did you go to HS in San Diego? St. Augustine for me.

haha Yup! class of 2006

there was something about college that flipped the switch and all i did was party and chase chicks. the good ol days :drink

Scott E

Reaction score
As and Bs in HS, I think I graduated with a 3.8 GPA. Went to Cal Poly Pomona after HS and slacked off and graduated (2.6 overall, 3.0 in major specific classes) with a BS degree in Human Resources Management. Worked all thru college at my current employer. Went back to grad school, University of Redlands, at 39 with my employer paying the tab for MS in Information Technology. Have been working at the same employer since freshman year of college, now here I am 26 years later.

mbrown2

Reaction score
School was EASY! Life was a bitch! Was told in HS that I had "it"! That the hardest thing to live with was a "potential".... 39 years later, I'm retired at 54 realizing that I should have been somebody. Potential ain't shit without drive! I'm good, but with a little push, I know things would have been different. I was my dad's biggest disappointment..... Still miss him!

Retired at 54 is no joke...obviously you did some things right. I would think your dad would be proud of that.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Retired at 54 is no joke...obviously you did some things right. I would think your dad would be proud of that.

... I have always wondered why I'm always broke could be because I retired at 40 with no particular plan ...lol...

HBCraig

Reaction score
As and Bs in HS, I think I graduated with a 3.8 GPA. Went to Cal Poly Pomona after HS and slacked off and graduated (2.6 overall, 3.0 in major specific classes) with a BS degree in Human Resources Management. Worked all thru college at my current employer. Went back to grad school, University of Redlands, at 39 with my employer paying the tab for MS in Information Technology. Have been working at the same employer since freshman year of college, now here I am 26 years later.

Loyalty isnt a common trait anymore. Well done

I slacked off in HS and the first year in college. During grad school for my masters and doctorate, I got one B. I considered it a job and thats what I did full time.

Scott E

Reaction score
Loyalty isnt a common trait anymore. Well done.

Thanks! New hires are blown away when I tell tell them how long I've been with the company and that I started at 19.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I breezed through high school with a 3.5. Not great, but not bad. The only thing I struggled with was math. I don't remember ever working hard for any of my classes. *shrug* I was always too busy with volleyball (HS and club), friends, parties and my boyfriend. lol I graduated and went to San Diego State University. I had to change my major halfway through because of math, but ended up graduating with a degree in English 4 years later. Not many do it in 4 years at SDSU. I never had stellar grades, but did just fine with a 3.4. I do regret not trying harder and actually following through with what my initial major was supposed to be, but it all worked out in the end, as there is no way that I would be making the kind of money I make now if I was a teacher. Learning to balance school and grades with partying and having fun in college was probably the biggest lesson I learned there.

I've never had an employer ask for transcripts. In my opinion, they just want to see that you can commit to something and see it through to the end.

Dalton

Reaction score
I wouldn't go back to my high school years for a million dollars! While there I think I remember my gpa being 1.6 [emoji23] never did graduate. For my dad having a degree in psychology and my mother being a Juris Doctor they were surprisingly open to the idea of me not finishing HS, but they were also into the arts and more alternative things and didn't want to put any heavy constraints on me possibly, I'm only in my mid 20's so things could always go down hill, but for how things started they couldn't be going any better now. Someone could have 5 degrees and be homeless or never have graduated and be a millionaire, I suppose it comes down to your innate resourcefulness.

C-2

Reaction score
So, are we ever going to get the reason behind the question?

-----------

Myself, I did okay in high school, and graduated my senior year with straight A's --just to prove I could. I also started working at age 14, and was almost self-sufficient by age 16 (mom paid for the car insurance). Reflecting back, I'm not sure high school did anything for me, but I enjoyed it.

Then, I went to community college and realized I was not academically prepared for it. As a result, my grades suffered, and I dropped out after a year.

Fast forward 32 years, and I returned to the same community college. This time around, my GPA is 3.9 and my overall CalState GPA is finally back at 3.0.

530RL

Reaction score
So, are we ever going to get the reason behind the question?

-----------

Myself, I did okay in high school, and graduated my senior year with straight A's --just to prove I could. I also started working at age 14, and was almost self-sufficient by age 16 (mom paid for the car insurance). Reflecting back, I'm not sure high school did anything for me, but I enjoyed it.

Then, I went to community college and realized I was not academically prepared for it. As a result, my grades suffered, and I dropped out after a year.

Fast forward 32 years, and I returned to the same community college. This time around, my GPA is 3.9 and my overall CalState GPA is finally back at 3.0.

Interesting in the sense that my experience was the opposite.

Our high school was really tough and as a result college at U of A was an absolute breeze. Almost remedial.

What the school is has more bearing than what the grades were.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I did fairly well in High School. I was in a couple honors classes and I pissed off quiet a few classmates cause I would never do the homework, never study, but would typically set the grading curve if there was one. It really pissed them off when I was the highest score on our AP Physics semester final by a solid 8%. My overall grades weren't that great, primarily due to getting a D in my 2nd year of Spanish. Still graduated with a 3.6 overall.

Went to Pasadena City College out of high school and was kicked out due to missing too much class. Yet I'd get A's on all my tests. I HATE the way the system is set-up. Then went to Cypress College for HVAC classes. Decided to change my career focus after a year and a half of that to law enforcement. Wasn't getting into a department (most all froze hiring at that time and being a white male, I was fucked) so I enrolled in LA Valley College and took Administration of Justice classes. Got most of that degree completed, then I decided to move away from the LA area and up to the central coast. Eventually found my way back into the HVAC/R trade.

Besides on the job learning (my dad's late business partner taught me more regarding the HVAC trade than any other school/teacher/etc), high school actually taught me the most that I currently use. Primarily physics, chemistry, and algebra. Yes, I use algebra almost daily.

jones performance

Reaction score
i dont recall what my gpa was in high school, but i believe it was around a high 2 or low 3. i never failed any classes but did squeak by with a couple d's. got A+'s in industrial classes and other electives. went to trade school after and had a 3.9 gpa.

i dont think it has effected me negatively, i certainly could have done better if i had did better in highschool and went to college, but so far the paths i have chosen have suited me well. i will be starting a new path next year in a new place and am going to be taking some classes to learn what i need to know to help me succeed at what i want to do.

C-2

Reaction score
What the school is has more bearing than what the grades were.

Yes, I totally agree.

I don't blame the school; I blame myself for being so naive, and for not trying harder at the time.

Ultra247

Reaction score

Hey Scott,

I'm with you on this one. I started at my employer at 16 working in high school. Straight A student until senior year when I found girls and partying. High school was easy. Show up, take the test, get an A and you're good!

Went to college and it didn't work that way. 6 years of working full time and going to college full time and I got my Engineering degree. Stayed with the company and 10 years later did my MBA. After 20 years with the company, I left because I wanted to run a company and I didn't think that it would ever happen where I was. In 10 years, I ran 5 different companies. It was quite the ride.

One day, I got a call from my old company and the owner asked if I would come back and run it. I now run a global manufacturing company that I started my career with when I was 16 and that was a lot of years ago. I've got over 30 years with the company with coming and going. Talk about blowing the doors off of the New Hires!!! I started as a part time high school kid!!

Life is pretty good! I'm not retired yet but we just bought our place in Havasu.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4.185 in the early days of AP classes. Not a fan, had way too many options and got pigeon holed by the family. Once I started my own business I became a lot happier!

LuckyDaze

Reaction score
Graduated highschool with high honors, was in all AP classes and even took some college courses. Got into college and fell apart. Took me too long to graduate college, but I did so while working two jobs and wound up with a degree in finance and another degree in management. Don't really use my degrees either. I would have done better had I joined the military out of HS but my family wouldn't let me and I didn't realize I was an adult at 18.

Wound up doing what I love though.(fixing broken houses and renting them) love swinging a hammer I guess