WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Highways, byways and waterways of America - Summer '21

sirbob

Reaction score
I have referenced and eluded to a trip I have been thinking about for a long time and was reluctant to commit to the trip until I knew for sure I could do it.

Well, I'm doing it!

The plan started from a "hair brained idea" to take my boat to Upper Lake Sarnac in upstate New York. Some will recall, I've posted pictures from there before - wooden boats galore and lots of incredible old Adirondack great camps. An old friend has had one of these camps in their family for generations and we have been lucky enough to have been invited every few years to spend time there in the the summer with our families.

One of the things I always dream about is having my boat on other lakes - I see lots of great places to boat but I never seem to have my boat with me when I see these lakes!

Well, this trip I will have my boat.

My plan is to be on the road 6-8 weeks and I will probably cover at least 6000 miles. I feel like this might turn onto a "Red Couch" coffee table book! Google it - basically a red couch gets taken to lots of unusual places and is photographed for the book.

And for Ziggy and company, I'll apologize now for not being able to see the vids I'm going to post. All the good shit your going to miss ;)

IMG_9617.jpeg

IMG_9631.jpeg

Ready...

Begin!

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
Ok - right off the bat, the roads heading east on the 40 in AZ SUCK towing!

Averted the first disaster - haha. I'm used to driving 318 miles from the house to Havasu on 1 tank of gas. I gassed up for the departure form Havasu and hit the road. One small problem, my computer that tells me gas consumption and miles till empty is used to NOT towing the trailer. So way before I would normally stop for gas and not having looked at my gas gauge once, in the middle of nowhere - my low fuel alarm goes off!

I was lucky to find a turn off that had gas and cows.

IMG_9638.jpeg
IMG_9640.jpeg

Thinking I was on top of it for the next's stop, I realized almost too late that even though I was watching the milage this time, the suggested miles until emtpy where not even close to what I really had. I see a sign that says Gallop 30 something miles / I read the gauge it says I have 55 miles, heck I'll make that. Only to look a few min later and it says you have 35 miles until empty and I've only gone about 5 miles! I pulled off at what turned out to be the last exit before New Mexico. I never would have stopped here in a million years... But it turned out to be the first nice surprise along the way!

Navajo Nation!

IMG_9652.jpeg
IMG_9650.jpeg

Neat rock carving at the gas station...

IMG_9656.jpeg
IMG_9658.jpeg
IMG_9660.jpeg
IMG_9655.jpeg

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
Over all I left Havasu about 1pm Thursday afternoon after 7 new tires and a full set of new bearings were put on the trailer that morning.

IMG_9664.jpeg

IMG_9662.jpeg

Crashed at a very sketchy Motel 6 (I don't think they really were / maybe in the past but no longer based on the condition of the place) It was 10 pm and I had made it past Albuquerque and was ready to get a little rest.

Early AM departure...

IMG_9666.jpeg

The roads in TX were pretty good except for a couple short spots.

IMG_9667.jpeg

IMG_9668.jpeg
IMG_9670.jpeg

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
Day two of driving was intended to be a very long one.

I've seen a fair number of giant crosses along the way...

IMG_9672.jpeg

This is a great little town in OK, Clinton OK (pardon the name) it was there before the "clintons"

IMG_9677.jpeg
IMG_9676.jpeg

But the real nice surprise was yet to come in OK...

Last edited:

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Take your prop off. Make a stop on Oneida Lake when you finally get to NY. Let me know if you need any shop tools / break fix facility in CNY.

brgrcru

Reaction score
So awesome !!
Have a great , safe trip and time .

Subscribed

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
So awesome!! Safe travels and I look forward to reading about your trip. Dave said make sure you save all of your videos and when you come back he can have our video guy take them off your phone and make a mini documentary of what you have.

stingray11

Reaction score
Since you are going to NY I would stop by the finger Lakes for a ride. Lake Seneca is a beautiful lake with many waterfalls dropping into the lake. Also Thuousand Islands is a really great boating destination, been to both many times, have fun.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Enjoy the trip and thanks for bringing us along! Our business partners did a similar trip last year towing their classic Cobalt and exploring lakes all over the US while visiting customers. They enjoyed TN so much they ended up buying a waterfront home there and upgraded to a newer boat along the way so you never know what will happen on a road trip!

Safe travels!!! I can only imagine the looks and questions you'll get in that part of the country at every stop.

-Zack

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
As SJP suggested, I would take the prop off to prevent theft along the way. If you aren't worried about that, at least put it in gear so that the prop isn't spinning for 3000 miles.

Although I think this is probably too late for the trip there as you are probably there, or close already. But good practice for the return trip.

jesco

Reaction score
This is FRICKEN AWESOME!!!! Safe travels!!!

OkHallett270

Reaction score
Might depend on which plates you're vehicle is sportin' 🤷‍♂️
This ⬆️ I lived in Houston for a while, an area where Texans are not known for friendly driving. Before I got my Texas plates I was getting honked at and flipped off on the regular. I was just driving the way I always do. I consider myself to be a good/safe driver and I have driven in some of the worst traffic areas in the country. After I swapped my okie plates for my Texas ones I never got another finger or honk. Still plenty of cut offs but that’s just Houston. Subbed to this thread! Looking forward to following your adventure! Thanks for sharing!

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
Awesome! Double check your cover but mine goes over the swim steps with the straps. The inner liner does not.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Dang it, I can't see any of the videos so far😉😁🤣
Now we all know why you were seeking a good tow cover👍
Travel safe my friend.🙂
Watch out for the other wandering rdp member with his 5th wheel cause he DGAF.

gqchris

Reaction score
As SJP suggested, I would take the prop off to prevent theft along the way. If you aren't worried about that, at least put it in gear so that the prop isn't spinning for 3000 miles.

Although I think this is probably too late for the trip there as you are probably there, or close already. But good practice for the return trip.
At that point,the Outdrive can be pulled of in under 1 min as well. I think picking the spots for night time is more important. When I worked at LBYS you would be amazed how quick a drive can be yanked off!

havasuhusker

Reaction score
This is so cool! What an epic journey you're going on. Can't wait to read all about it and view the pictures.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Very cool trip indeed. Will the fuel mileage calcs adjust or are you just gonna do a little shower math from now on?

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your adventures . Looking forward to the rest of the trip . Have a fun and safe trip .....

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Sounds like an epic trip! Btw who made your cover? I'd take your prop off..those things tend to grow legs in certain states more than others.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
SirBob, your tow vehicle is on my short list. What mileage are you getting? How much does the boat weigh? Would love to hear a critique of your tow vehicle and options. I already know that the Navigator has the 400hp motor, over the Expeditions 375. I think it might even have slightly different gearing.

I owned a diesel Excursion for years and regret selling it. Now I just want whatever the best SUV tow vehicle is today. I think thats the Expedition/Navigator.

The trailer looks perfect! Triple axle!

Sorry for the hijack, but my questions seen trip related. I am looking forward to following this thread and seeing the many pics and narration you are going to post. Also looking forward to seeing those classic wood boats, in which upstate New York is famous for! I envy you! Enjoy your trip!

sirbob

Reaction score
SirBob, your tow vehicle is on my short list. What mileage are you getting? How much does the boat weigh? Would love to hear a critique of your tow vehicle and options. I already know that the Navigator has the 400hp motor, over the Expeditions 375. I think it might even have slightly different gearing.

I owned a diesel Excursion for years and regret selling it. Now I just want whatever the best SUV tow vehicle is today. I think thats the Expedition/Navigator.

The trailer looks perfect! Triple axle!

Sorry for the hijack, but my questions seen trip related. I am looking forward to following this thread and seeing the many pics and narration you are going to post. Also looking forward to seeing those classic wood boats, in which upstate New York is famous for! I envy you! Enjoy your trip!

Thx for the complements on the trailer / package.

Typically around town and highway combined I get about 17.5 mpg

With the trailer it makes a big diff what the geography is. I’ve had some runs where I’m getting 14ish and other tanks I’m only getting 11 something.

This is my third Navigator and this is WAY better towing the the others.

Little things like having the light plug on the opposite side of the exhaust (no face full of fumes while plugging in) is huge. The electronics also are a big help- this thing is like a big rig in the way it senses a long prolonged brake vs a slower speed and uses the gears to slow me down on downhills or getting off the freeway. It also has some neat features to isolate engine temp on the gauge when it’s in trailer mode - it keeps track of total miles with a trailer hooked up to, it automatically shuts of the back up beepers So you don’t hear that shit while backing up with trailer mounted.

It seems like every day I’m learning a new trailer trick with this Navigator- when I used it in Havasu I never realized all the upgrades they made to it - get it out and tow 3000 miles in a few days and I’m loving it!

I keep telling myself that this was really made to tow not just and add on.

I don’t have hard numbers on the weight but I’ve been told the boat weighs around 6500 - then trailer and gas and all the toys etc.???

Javajoe

Reaction score
Bad ass bud. Cover looks nice and tight. Enjoy your trip 👊🏼

sirbob

Reaction score
Sounds like an epic trip! Btw who made your cover? I'd take your prop off..those things tend to grow legs in certain states more than others.

I don’t know who made the cover - when I bought to boat I got it from John West (Ultra owner at the time)

sirbob

Reaction score

I love this !!

I’m going to send it to the friend that has the camp...

He also is shipping his 50 something ft wooden Italian sail boat to UP Michigan right now - I e been sending him pics and he is sending me his.

He has a YouTube channel dedicated to the restoration it just completed - the boat name is Susanna.

20BCD7E1-CA67-41C8-99E3-10CFC2B9B509.jpeg
54DDF825-140D-4812-B83D-D89D56D3E4E4.jpeg

They put it in the water today in St Ignus MI.
8A2963F4-AC41-4337-8286-43C17256AF49.jpeg
B98B5E4E-8B5A-4FF4-8679-00088B724E0E.jpeg
EFA2B6B7-0B07-469E-A1EA-AAFD8EEE9762.jpeg

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
St Ignace. Those pics look like https://www.ejmertaughboatworks.com in Hessel. Check out Les Cheneaux Islands.

Leave it to RDP to know that - he just bought the old Boardwalk Inn on main st St Ignus and the boat will be kept up there from now on. I know the marina is in front of the hotel but I wasn’t sure of exactly where they are putting it in the water. I’d guess you might be correct!

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Leave it to RDP to know that - he just bought the old Boardwalk Inn on main st St Ignus and the boat will be kept up there from now on. I know the marina is in front of the hotel but I wasn’t sure of exactly where they are putting it in the water. I’d guess you might be correct!
I stand corrected, that makes sense then. I thought Hessel because of the wooden boat festival. That is so cool he bought the boardwalk!!

sirbob

Reaction score
I stand corrected, that makes sense then. I thought Hessel because of the wooden boat festival. That is so cool he bought the boardwalk!!
It’s going to be really something when it’s done - complete redo top to bottom / adding a restaurant and bar etc - don’t want to give away too much but it will be nice when it’s done! I’ll be there late July for a few weeks - looking forward to seeing if my boat will make it to Mackinaw island or of the water is too big??

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
It’s going to be really something when it’s done - complete redo top to bottom / adding a restaurant and bar etc - don’t want to give away too much but it will be nice when it’s done! I’ll be there late July for a few weeks - looking forward to seeing if my boat will make it to Mackinaw island or of the water is too big??
Feel free to hit me up, I've been to Mackinaw many times, by boat and by snowmobile
20190815_143740.jpg

sirbob

Reaction score

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I have referenced and eluded to a trip I have been thinking about for a long time and was reluctant to commit to the trip until I knew for sure I could do it.

Well, I'm doing it!

The plan started from a "hair brained idea" to take my boat to Upper Lake Sarnac in upstate New York. Some will recall, I've posted pictures from there before - wooden boats galore and lots of incredible old Adirondack great camps. An old friend has had one of these camps in their family for generations and we have been lucky enough to have been invited every few years to spend time there in the the summer with our families.

One of the things I always dream about is having my boat on other lakes - I see lots of great places to boat but I never seem to have my boat with me when I see these lakes!

Well, this trip I will have my boat.

My plan is to be on the road 6-8 weeks and I will probably cover at least 6000 miles. I feel like this might turn onto a "Red Couch" coffee table book! Google it - basically a red couch gets taken to lots of unusual places and is photographed for the book.

And for Ziggy and company, Ill apologize now for not being able to se the vids im going to post. All the good shit your going to miss ;)

View attachment 1016960

View attachment 1016961

Ready...

Begin!

thats the spirit! Go get it and have an awesome time

Taboma

Reaction score
Thx for the complements on the trailer / package.

Typically around town and highway combined I get about 17.5 mpg

With the trailer it makes a big diff what the geography is. I’ve had some runs where I’m getting 14ish and other tanks I’m only getting 11 something.

This is my third Navigator and this is WAY better towing the the others.

Little things like having the light plug on the opposite side of the exhaust (no face full of fumes while plugging in) is huge. The electronics also are a big help- this thing is like a big rig in the way it senses a long prolonged brake vs a slower speed and uses the gears to slow me down on downhills or getting off the freeway. It also has some neat features to isolate engine temp on the gauge when it’s in trailer mode - it keeps track of total miles with a trailer hooked up to, it automatically shuts of the back up beepers So you don’t hear that shit while backing up with trailer mounted.

It seems like every day I’m learning a new trailer trick with this Navigator- when I used it in Havasu I never realized all the upgrades they made to it - get it out and tow 3000 miles in a few days and I’m loving it!

I keep telling myself that this was really made to tow not just and add on.

I don’t have hard numbers on the weight but I’ve been told the boat weighs around 6500 - then trailer and gas and all the toys etc.???

Have you used the backup knob yet ? I'm guessing the Navigator has one like our trucks do. My EB Raptor enjoys a lot of refreshment when towing, only advantage I've got is the 36 gallon tank.

sirbob

Reaction score
Cushing OK, the pipeline crossroads of the world!

I stopped here when I needed gas and was considering staying the night or moving on I was looking for a reason to stay...

IMG_9680.jpeg

IMG_9685.jpeg

I parked the truck in front of this old Kawasaki / Texaco station to take a picture...

And from behind me while I was standing in the street taking this pic - somebody yells at me to come in and have a beer. I turn around and some guy has his head out the door of the block building below. I have no idea what's behind that door. Its not a bar or public business. Just a guy offering me to come in and have a beer.

I decide to head in...

I walk into a local gathering that has been going on for 35 years every Friday at 5pm. The city attny was there the past city attny was there the past and current Mayor were there, a local attny family owns the building and was there briefly but left shortly after they invited me in. A lesbian couple that were Suche' Fox (sp?) Indian were really great people, another guy was a famous local boxer from the 50's etc etc.

What a great chance encounter - The short video below gives only a small look at what ended up being a late night. I ended up drinking there with them for a while, then we all went to dinner at a local place. They were so enamored by my trip they wanted to show me all around town. We ended up in a bar to end the night after dinner!

I have heard from them already asking for updates on my trip!

IMG_9684.jpeg

This was a great burger. It had deep fried jalapinos on it!

IMG_9689.jpeg

This town used to have a bigger oil field than Saudi Arabia in the day! Today it still stores more barrels of oil than an other place on earth. They reffer to it as the pipeline cross roads of the world because it is! basically most oil ran into or out of this town for most of the last 100 years!

With remote working becoming so big - this is the kind of town that is ripe for being discovered again. Although I was left thinking the locals kind of like the way it is.

A lap of town the morning after.

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
Have you used the backup knob yet ? I'm guessing the Navigator has one like our trucks do. My EB Raptor enjoys a lot of refreshment when towing, only advantage I've got is the 36 gallon tank.

I wish I had a 36 gallon tank! Mine is 25 I think.

And no - I don't have the backup knob. Maybe I'm too macho but I didn't want to spend the money for something I was telling myself I didn't need. :)