sirbob

Reaction score
A7C74314-3D41-459D-ACEC-6043591B1DFA.jpeg
B8600F3F-C641-4963-94CA-E4B12ECA4358.jpeg
5C040668-12E7-467C-B5FE-92D91B164A4E.jpeg

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
Thats one cool picture.... brings the old to new. However I gotta say somehow that boat of yours still looks out of place there. Maybe after a month it'll fit in.

it blends better than expected but I have to agree - the wooden Chris Craft that normally is in that spot would be much more appropriate as far as many are concerned here!

jesco

Reaction score
That boat house is BADASS!!!! You got some great shots of your boat, some poster worthy to send back to them to hang in the boat house. hahahaha

sirbob

Reaction score
That boat house is BADASS!!!! You got some great shots of your boat, some poster worthy to send back to them to hang in the boat house. hahahaha

it would never get hung - one of the kids thought they were doing something nice for the camp and installed dimmers on the lights. The family went nuts because somebody changed something!

They still have the caretaker cut ice blocks from the lake and keep them in the ice house (no electricity- just covered in saw dust) and all cocktails are made with lake ice / for that matter it’s the only ice here😊

They like their traditions here!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
it would never get hung - one of the kids thought they were doing something nice for the camp and installed dimmers on the lights. The family went nuts because somebody changed something!

They still have the caretaker cut ice blocks from the lake and keep them in the ice house (no electricity- just covered in saw dust) and all cocktails are made with lake ice / for that matter it’s the only ice here😊

Its been my experience that anytime I'm in a place using block ice its always a very special location!

Taboma

Reaction score

And even now, the ice is still frozen ? Is that lake water so pure you can drink it, no boiling ? I think I'd be passing on the any drinks on the rocks :oops:

sirbob

Reaction score
And even now, the ice is still frozen ? Is that lake water so pure you can drink it, no boiling ? I think I'd be passing on the any drinks on the rocks :oops:

Straight from the lake...

Taboma

Reaction score
Straight from the lake...

Nooooo, really ?? Drink straight from the lake, intentionally ?? I'm sure I accidently ingested a few hundred gallons of Lake Arrowhead H20 during my youth, but never actually intentionally downed a glass of it. Although we did have a spring by the house we filled gallon containers from, man it was yummy stuff coming out of those rocks.

Unfortunately unable to view your vids.

sirbob

Reaction score
Got to Boston today - about 6.5hrs from where we were the last 12 days...

I have a meeting at Copley Center in Boston until Wed. I’ll be heading to Michigan Wednesday pm and hope to be in the UP by Friday for a whole different type of boating!!

I found a boat yard that let me drop the boat for a few days while I’m in the city center - no boat parking in the city!

929DAF3C-F3DD-49C7-9520-05071D228DE5.jpeg

sirbob

Reaction score
So are you known as the super cool dad with the super bad boat?

It is fun to hear people that haven’t seen the type of boats we run out
west. I’ve had people blowing horns and chatting us up at stop lights in Boston.

I had a Puerto Rican guy pull up next to me in his pick up truck and asked me if I would adopt him as his kid so that he would be able to come boating with us. Ha ha Ha!

Boy thats Greek right there.... let me take a swing.... medical field?

Yes - this was a neurosurgeon talking about how to treat brain aneurysms!!

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
I picked up the boat this afternoon from the yard I had stored in while I was working in Boston. These guys were so accommodating and so nice to help me out, they sent somebody to open the yard on Sunday afternoon when they were closed and I had a chance to walk around the yard to see all the projects that are going on. It turns out they’re a bit of a combination of a maintenance yard and a salvage yard. They dismantle boats and they tell me they ship parts all over the world for boats, check out the video - these guys mention the website etc.

sirbob

Reaction score
It turns out the town is Herkimer New York, I went into the Waterfront Grille on the canal right where I shot the earlier video and I ended up once again meeting the nicest group of people at the bar. One fellow is from Herkimer and also has a place in Boco Raton Florida. He is a big power boater, has run cigarettes, been to LOTO open to the rendezvous for the cigarettes and sells exotic sports cars out of upstate New York and Boca Raton. We seem to know a lot of the same people. 300+ million people In this country? It’s a small world…

Give Sam a call if you’re looking for a European sports car or something like that.

FDECA171-8407-4D31-AE5E-4A9D67322AA3.jpeg

Last edited:

nowski

Reaction score
Great Thread and thanks for taking us along on your journey!!!

Question? I remember your thread about having your boat shipped to New York, What changed your mind to take the journey yourself???

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

sirbob

Reaction score
Turns out as I was cutting across Ohio, I realized I was going to pass a house I lived in 43 years ago! So I stopped to see the Nieghborhod I lived in from age 10-16. We moved to CA in 1978 from this house.

The Nieghborhod has held up well with all the houses still looking like a nice place to live today.

This was just outside Cleveland in North Ridgeville.

My mom was excited to see the old house and loved that I sent her some pictures.

B3EA89BA-C3C3-4867-AA29-EE682716CB47.jpeg
339E1C61-DA29-4545-9D2E-B0BEF94B60D1.jpeg

This was the first place I worked and learned how to weld / fab etc when I was 13, I worked there until we moved.

sirbob

Reaction score
Great Thread and thanks for taking us along on your journey!!!

Question? I remember your thread about having your boat shipped to New York, What changed your mind to take the journey yourself???

At first it was the cost. @ $4 a mile it’s a bunch. I’ve done a little over 4100 miles so far.

But after thinking about it more I thought doing it would be more fulfilling on a lot of levels.

I daydreamed about doing it. I started the planning. But never really fully committed, thinking I could still pull out anytime. But in the last three or four weeks before it became a real commitment to do it or not, I just decided to do it.

It’s been fun and stressful and time to think and Ive met interesting people along the way.

I don’t mind a good drive - But getting stuck between 2 simis in the pouring rain coming down a steep grade for 4 miles with the wind blowing and visiblity about 20’ while the trailer feels like a dog wagging it’s tail at 70 mph can be stressful. 😳😬

nowski

Reaction score
At first it was the cost. @ $4 a mile it’s a bunch. I’ve done a little over 4100 miles so far.

But after thinking about it more I thought doing it would be more fulfilling on a lot of levels.

I daydreamed about doing it. I started the planning. But never really fully committed, thinking I could still pull out anytime. But in the last three or four weeks before it became a real commitment to do it or not, I just decided to do it.

It’s been fun and stressful and time to think and Ive met interesting people along the way.

I don’t mind a good drive - But getting stuck between 2 simis in the pouring rain coming down a steep grade for 4 miles with the wind blowing and visiblity about 20’ while the trailer feels like a dog wagging it’s tail at 70 mph can be stressful. 😳😬

I admire your sense of adventure. I'm glad you were able to turn a dream into reality, a trip to be remembered...

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Turns out as I was cutting across Ohio, I realized I was going to pass a house I lived in 43 years ago! So I stopped to see the Nieghborhod I lived in from age 10-16. We moved to CA in 1978 from this house.

The Nieghborhod has held up well with all the houses still looking like a nice place to live today.

This was just outside Cleveland in North Ridgeville.

My mom was excited to see the old house and loved that I sent her some pictures.

View attachment 1025908 View attachment 1025909

This was the first place I worked and learned how to weld / fab etc when I was 13, I worked there until we moved.

View attachment 1025910
Whenever I go back to my childhood home I always appreciate how much the trees have grown. I bet your mom noticed that.

sirbob

Reaction score
So today...

sirbob

Reaction score

sirbob

Reaction score
4.5 hrs later I was over the bridge and on the water...

quick run to Macanac Island

1CFC602A-45F1-494E-BB75-EEC45476E9BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I

So today...

View attachment 1026287
View attachment 1026288
[/

Welcome to Michigan....that’s why it is so green.

Now go pour a glass of wine and eat some fudge. Lol

If you get a chance, hit Traverse City. It‘s amazing and which ever arm you pick to launch in, West or East Grand Traverse Bay will give you a humbling experience. You are boating for hours and still in a “bay.” There is nothing better than this time of year “up north.”

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… I started going backwards through the videos and was able to see about five or six of them before they started buffering???… Maybe by iPhone 35 there will be the option to post directly to YouTube… problem solved…One of my video cameras that I haven’t used in eight or nine years has the option to post directly to YouTube???..,

sirbob

Reaction score
The reality of preparing for a long tow...

sirbob

Reaction score
Mackinaw island - no cars / lots of fudge.

We crossed over from Saint Ignace in my boat - flat as it looked about half way the current and wakes from commercial ferry’s let me know my boat is made for flat water!

Most of the water is epic here but I have to stay away from the ferry’s wakes!

7F4788DB-2F13-4542-A719-F73D286AFE50.jpeg
04E2587F-54FE-40AE-8F6F-8C0DBFC646D0.jpeg
99A305DD-1944-4ED4-8D41-858739258A8B.jpeg
3D944835-D8F1-48AC-9799-1812B0FAF043.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
… I started going backwards through the videos and was able to see about five or six of them before they started buffering???… Maybe by iPhone 35 there will be the option to post directly to YouTube… problem solved…One of my video cameras that I haven’t used in eight or nine years has the option to post directly to YouTube???..,

I phone has it actually. I jist need to teach Jim how to do it real quick