WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Holly smokes!!!!!

nameisbond

Reaction score
I bought two packs of smokes the other day. Little corner store. They charged me $31 bucks. That's $15.50 per pack. Rip off. Was paying $27.60 for two packs at a Circle K in my old hood, 20 minute drive. I'm going to try another store nearby, grocery store chain. I hate the chain, owners are liberals. If they are $31 or more. I'll do a 20 minute drive, need to check the mail at old house anyway and buy a carton.

attitude

Reaction score
Buy a vape and slowly reduce the nicotine amount over time, within a couple months you won’t be spending any money on any nicotine products.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I bought two packs of smokes the other day. Little corner store. They charged me $31 bucks. That's $15.50 per pack. Rip off. Was paying $27.60 for two packs at a Circle K in my old hood, 20 minute drive. I'm going to try another store nearby, grocery store chain. I hate the chain, owners are liberals. If they are $31 or more. I'll do a 20 minute drive, need to check the mail at old house anyway and buy a carton.

WTH is that at?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I remember back in the early 70’s when my dad smoked he could get a carton of Pall Mall reds for $3.25. But then again a Big Mac was only 55 cents. That was also a time when he’d go across the street to the other gas station because they were 2 cents a gallon cheaper and would save 30 cents on a tankful.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I like smoking, but do have a vape around somewhere.

Vancouver prices are pricey.

nameisbond

Reaction score
When I started in 1984, a pack here was $1.75.

port austin pirate

Reaction score
I like smoking, but do have a vape around somewhere.

Vancouver prices are pricey.
I have read that while if you quit smoking the negative effects will subside and body will return to normal, but that the effects of vapeing will be with you forever even if you go cold turkey on it, something people thinking of vapeing may want to check out.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I paid $40.+ for 5 cans of Skoal in CA the other day.

I pay apx $25 for the same 5 cans in AZ

I try to time my stay out here at my sons house based on diesel and Skoal requirements.....lol

rrrr

Reaction score
If I had continued to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day since I quit on January 1, 1999, the number of packs up to today's date would have totaled 8,089. Using an average cost of $6.00 per pack over that period of time, I would have spent $48,534.00. If I had deposited the $180 saved monthly and earned the Dow Jones industrial Average historical return of 7.03% over that 22 year time period, an additional $114,037.00 would have accrued, for a total of $165,571.00. That's quite a large amount of money, considering it would have required just a few dollars a day from me.

The 8,089 packs contained 161,780 cigarettes.

By smoking those 161,780 cigarettes, 145,602 milligrams of tar would have been deposited in my lungs, 105,157 milligrams of nicotine would have been released into my circulatory system, and 1,456,020 milligrams of carbon monoxide would have been absorbed by my circulatory system.

All of this is, of course, predicated on the assumption I would have not died from cancer or other health impairment at some point, caused by smoking for an additional 22 years.

Quit now.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
If I had continued to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day since I quit on January 1, 1999, the number of packs up to today's date would have totaled 8,089. Using an average cost of $6.00 per pack over that period of time, I would have spent $48,534.00. Those 8,089 packs contained 161,780 cigarettes.

By smoking those 161,780 cigarettes, 145,602 milligrams of tar would have been deposited in my lungs, 105,157 milligrams of nicotine would have been released into my circulatory system, and 1,456,020 milligrams of carbon monoxide would have been absorbed by my circulatory system.

If, of course, I had not died from cancer or another health impairment caused by smoking for an additional 22 years.

Quit now.

Impressive calculations but cigs weren't $6. a pack over the years....maybe $3 average going back that far up till now.

Doesn't matter really but thought I would point that out and good on you for quitting.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
If I had continued to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day since I quit on January 1, 1999, the number of packs up to today's date would have totaled 8,089. Using an average cost of $6.00 per pack over that period of time, I would have spent $48,534.00. If I had deposited the $180 saved monthly and earned the Dow Jones industrial Average historical return of 7.03% over that 22 year time period, an additional $114,037.00 would have accrued, for a total of $165,571.00. That's a large amount of money, considering it would have required just a dollar a day from me.

All of this is, of course, predicated on the assumption I would have not died from cancer or other health impairment at some point, caused by smoking for an additional 22 years.

Quit now.
Nor did you calculate the health care costs into your equation 😉🙂

nameisbond

Reaction score
Found a slightly cheaper source, gas station. $29 something for two packs.

I should quit, but I like smoking. Going to buy a carton at the Circle K near my old house.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Found a slightly cheaper source, gas station. $29 something for two packs.

I should quit, but I like smoking. Going to buy a carton at the Circle K near my old house.
I liked Coca-Cola or sugary sodas in general, to the tune of a 2litre or more per day. Had an epiphany, quit it cold turkey and haven't had but a couple in 4+ years.
Our mind is the strongest tool we humans have in our shed. Once you consciously make the choice to quit(any habit really) it truly is simple. When we resist that choice we fail, repeatedly.
I'm not telling you should quit, I'm saying you can IF you want to. I have plenty of vices I've chosen to ignore still😁

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
If you value life at all....

3-SIGNS-THAT-YOU-WILL-QUIT.jpg

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Beer prices are getting out of hand also. I'm not talking about 30 packs light beer so much but quality micro brew 6 packs of IPA's. I could easily spend $60 a week. Maybe this is a good time to stop the madness.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I liked Coca-Cola or sugary sodas in general, to the tune of a 2litre or more per day. Had an epiphany, quit it cold turkey and haven't had but a couple in 4+ years.
Our mind is the strongest tool we humans have in our shed. Once you consciously make the choice to quit(any habit really) it truly is simple. When we resist that choice we fail, repeatedly.
I'm not telling you should quit, I'm saying you can IF you want to. I have plenty of vices I've chosen to ignore still😁

I was the same, drank a crap ton of soda. 64 oz big gulp during the day and about 6pack with dinner. I felt my joints were hurting so quit it cold turkey. This was 6 yrs ago now with no carbonated soda (sprite too).

but I do dream about drinking time to time.

Now if I can only get myself to eat better I would be good.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I was the same, drank a crap ton of soda. 64 oz big gulp during the day and about 6pack with dinner. I felt my joints were hurting so quit it cold turkey. This was 6 yrs ago now with no carbonated soda (sprite too).

but I do dream about drinking time to time.

Now if I can only get myself to eat better I would be good.

You drank a 6 pack of coke with dinner? How did you even do that?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You drank a 6 pack of coke with dinner? How did you even do that?

It was from dinner till I went to bed. I drink more than the average person.

Not alcohol, mostly ice tea now that I don’t drink any soft drink. When a waitress says she’s never meet someone who drinks as much, it’s a problem.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I am going to order about 60-80 cans of Cherry Skoal before I hit the road on my across country trip. It is the only one I will use and it isn't always readily available.

Some of the counter people go "We don't have any cherry but have peach (or some other flavor.) It just like cherry"

I say...."Ya, well watermelon tastes like chocolate right?"

I hate it when they do that....lol

I am 36 years into this shit.....

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...There is a pack of Virginia slims in my refrigerator... I have no real idea where they came from...They are free for the taking...wait a minute...I don’t wanna be responsible for what they might aid and abed... probably just gonna trash em???...

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
...There is a pack of Virginia slims in my refrigerator... I have no real idea where they came from...They are free for the taking...wait a minute...I don’t wanna be responsible for what they might aid and abed... probably just gonna trash em???...

Assisted suicide?

rrrr

Reaction score
Impressive calculations but cigs weren't $6. a pack over the years....maybe $3 average going back that far up till now.

Doesn't matter really but thought I would point that out and good on you for quitting.

This calculator uses a formula to assign inflation costs to cigarettes between 1997 and 2020. Beginning with $3 per pack, the 2020 cost is $15.08 per pack, so I believe it's an accurate representation of the cost per pack. This does not consider tax increases during the 23 year period, which in most states have been substantial.

From what I can gather from other research, $6 per pack is an accurate average.

Nor did you calculate the health care costs into your equation 😉🙂

This website gives a figure for increased health costs over the time period.

Smoking-related illness in the United States costs more than $300 billion each year, including:
  • Nearly $170 billion for direct medical care for adults
  • More than $156 billion in lost productivity, including $5.6 billion in lost productivity due to secondhand smoke exposure

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
This calculator uses a formula to assign inflation costs to cigarettes between 1997 and 2020. Beginning with $3 per pack, the 2020 cost is $15.08 per pack, so I believe it's an accurate representation of the cost per pack. This does not consider tax increases during the 23 year period, which in most states have been substantial.

From what I can gather from other research, $6 per pack is an accurate average.

This website gives a figure for increased health costs over the time period.

Smoking-related illness in the United States costs more than $300 billion each year, including:
  • Nearly $170 billion for direct medical care for adults
  • More than $156 billion in lost productivity, including $5.6 billion in lost productivity due to secondhand smoke exposure

This website provides average cost figures per decade

OK then.....

rrrr

Reaction score
Once you consciously make the choice to quit(any habit really) it truly is simple. When we resist that choice we fail, repeatedly.

When someone says "I'm trying to quit", they have already chosen failure. When the positive is stated, "I have quit", and the person has resolved that fact in their mind, the framework of success is there.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I can't wait for the border to open. Assuming the Duty Free shop survives the shut down. They have cartons for $18.

Stopped by the old house, still getting mail there. Got gas. $1.36 per liter VS here almost neighboring towns $1.51 per liter. Two packs (gas station didn't have enough for a carton) was $29 with a bag of chips. I should move back there, its cheaper.

530RL

Reaction score
It was three bucks a carton at the PX when I was a kid.

And every C ration had a five pack of cigs in it.

And more doctors smoked Camel than any other brand. 🤭🤭🤭🤭

nameisbond

Reaction score
I'm going to cut back on smoking. Almost at two packs a day. Add in my restaurant meals, even McDonald's for my order is $15 something. I'm probably spending $50 to $60 per day on stuff I don't need. Last nights Mexican food was $30, plus smokes at $29, is too much out the door. To make things worse the Mexican restaurant billed my credit card $300 instead of $30. I just happened to check my credit card online or I wouldn't have seen the overcharge. Just to see how much I'm spending. A full tank of gas today was $135, plus $29 for smokes and a bag of chips. How the fuck does the average family survive at these prices.

petie6464

Reaction score
COPD It's a 1000 x worse than what you think. You have my sympathy.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Fuk them cigarette's! 😑 40 years X up to 2.5 packs a day! -- They was getting about 2 bucks a pack in the 90's ($.40/$.50 cents when I started) and hit just under $4 buck a pack when I said "If they ever reach $5 bucks a pack! I'll quit!" .... Well! ... I Cold Turkey Quit before they reached $5!

Had to go into ER one night! ... Got myself an Angiogram, stent, and haven't smoked a cigarette in over 20 Years!

But I sure like my Cigars! :)

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Quit 2 years ago cold turkey and couldn't be happier. You can do it.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
If I had continued to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day since I quit on January 1, 1999, the number of packs up to today's date would have totaled 8,089. Using an average cost of $6.00 per pack over that period of time, I would have spent $48,534.00. If I had deposited the $180 saved monthly and earned the Dow Jones industrial Average historical return of 7.03% over that 22 year time period, an additional $114,037.00 would have accrued, for a total of $165,571.00. That's quite a large amount of money, considering it would have required just a few dollars a day from me.

Quit now.

Very thorough post but you didn’t address the carbon emissions into the atmosphere and its impact on global warming / climate change :rolleyes:o_O:eek:

“How dare you?!”

1615230555854.jpeg