WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Holy crap this could have ended badly!!

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
So we're heading out for 5 weeks with the 5th wheel and so I do a bunch of stuff before I head out including 5 new tires at Discount.....looks like they forgot to torque the lugs on this wheel when they were through. IMG_0218.jpg

I checked everything, kicked tires, checked temps of tires and hubs everything except torque the nuts of course before I left and then a couple of times along the way and everything was fine but when I turned off the freeway in Mammoth I noticed the rear wheel wobbling around the corner. Pulled into the chain up area and wholly crap only 3 lugs left (out of 8) and the 5 studs were sheared off[emoji15].
I tightened the other 3 as best I could and by the time I got to the RV park 2 more had gone....and this at 5-10 MPH.

In any case I am in a spot here and hooked up but now I need to get this damn thing fixed. The 2 places in town that I went to this morning both said bring it in.....which of course I can't and the only mobile guy in the area hasn't called me back yet....

Oh well I am gonna see if I can get the wheel off and go from there.

Hopefully there is no hub damage and I can replace the studs.....we'll see how that goes.

Has anyone out there had any experience with anything like this??....these are 7k Dexter Nev-R-Lube axels with disc brakes if that makes a difference.

Sheez....what a way to start a vacation[emoji849]

Raffit78

Reaction score
Paul,

Consider yourself lucky that you made it to a destination without the wheel coming off. That could have been so much worst. Hopefully it's a minor fix by hammering out old studs and putting new ones on. This has happened to me as well, but it wasn't all 5 studs. Just one.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I have a F150 with aluminum outlaw II wheels that look almost the same as those. It takes about 3 times re-torquing them to get them set and stay set. I literally drive it around the block and re-torque and repeat again and check frequently. I don't know the aluminum rim has a hard time or if the studs stretch or something... I have completely tore the studs off a wheel. Also, most of the time the holes on the wheel are all reamed out and the wheel is ruined after that happens..

bagged97taco

Reaction score
My buddy had a similar situation involving discount tire, only he wasn't so lucky. Both passenger side trailer wheels fell off. You talk about damage. I'm surprised the trailer didn't flip over.

fishing fool

Reaction score
I'm going to say that the wheel has oval holes allowing it to move causing the studs to break off

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Wow,

Bet the Mgr at Discount won't be pleased to see this picture...Glad you're safe for now, you just might be there a little longer than you planned, could be worse.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Post a pic of the hub when you pull the wheel.

I have a tire company that comes to the house. I pull them, they mount/balance while I watch. Then I know they are reinstalled and torqued.

All of the shops I have worked in cars almost left with loose wheels because these asshats don't take the time to check and double check.

Glad you are safely there!

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
So we're heading out for 5 weeks with the 5th wheel and so I do a bunch of stuff before I head out including 5 new tires at Discount.....looks like they forgot to torque the lugs on this wheel when they were through. View attachment 577370

I checked everything, kicked tires, checked temps of tires and hubs everything except torque the nuts of course before I left and then a couple of times along the way and everything was fine but when I turned off the freeway in Mammoth I noticed the rear wheel wobbling around the corner. Pulled into the chain up area and wholly crap only 3 lugs left (out of 8) and the 5 studs were sheared off[emoji15].
I tightened the other 3 as best I could and by the time I got to the RV park 2 more had gone....and this at 5-10 MPH.

In any case I am in a spot here and hooked up but now I need to get this damn thing fixed. The 2 places in town that I went to this morning both said bring it in.....which of course I can't and the only mobile guy in the area hasn't called me back yet....

Hopefully there is no hub damage and I can replace the studs.....we'll see how that goes.

Has anyone out there had any experience with anything like this??....these are 7k Dexter Nev-R-Lube axels with disc brakes if that makes a difference.

Paul, the good news it not just your nuts. Got 5 new tires a few weeks ago (yes the spare too) but the guy at the shop said "they may loosen, bring it by after some miles are run, but not too many." Sure enough, one of the nuts was finger tight (or loose ☺) and I watched him torque all 24 a few weeks earlier. Tandem axles are brutal. So, moral if the story, always check your nuts.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Maybe that wheel already had issues in the past and the lug holes were slightly egg shapes never seating properly.

I'd see about calling a mobile tire company like Pete's Road Service.

wallnutz

Reaction score
This happened to me with my trailer, and I was the one that tightened the lugs. My aluminum wheels would work the lugs loose some how. After checking them two or three times they would would stay tight. They looked just like your wheels, so check the rest of them. Safe travels!:thumbsup

wallnutz

Reaction score
I have a F150 with aluminum outlaw II wheels that look almost the same as those. It takes about 3 times re-torquing them to get them set and stay set. I literally drive it around the block and re-torque and repeat again and check frequently. I don't know the aluminum rim has a hard time or if the studs stretch or something... I have completely tore the studs off a wheel. Also, most of the time the holes on the wheel are all reamed out and the wheel is ruined after that happens..

Paul, the good news it not just your nuts. Got 5 new tires a few weeks ago (yes the spare too) but the guy at the shop said "they may loosen, bring it by after some miles are run, but not too many." Sure enough, one of the nuts was finger tight (or loose ☺) and I watched him torque all 24 a few weeks earlier. Tandem axles are brutal. So, moral if the story, always check your nuts.

Damn I type slow, you guys are on it.:thumbsup

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
The important question though, are you going to Bluesapoolooza?:D

Paul65k

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the feedback. Fortunately I did buy 5 tires so the spare is new and if he wheel is bad .....doesn't look to bad sitting there but if it took out the studs it's likely hat the wheel if fucked too....I'll know when I can get it off......this sucks.

Dylan

Reaction score
I would call discount tire and ask how they want to proceed...

Bummer situation. I'm down in San Diego and have the same hubs. I can pull mine off and ship it to you worst case scenario.

I also agree that the rim will be ovaled out and will need to be replaced.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Its very irritating to see the kind of work they do these days....I had discount tire put tires on my truck and I watched the guy put them on with an impact gun, and I told the Mgr. I wanted them torqued properly with a torque wrench. I then retorqued them when I got home because you cant trust the calibration of all torque wrenches. Paul I certainly hope you can repair this, and it doesn't ruin any of your vacation!

dribble

Reaction score
Maybe that wheel already had issues in the past and the lug holes were slightly egg shapes never seating properly.

I'd see about calling a mobile tire company like Pete's Road Service.

Which didn't present itself until immediately after Discount Tire had all four wheels off. That would be a major coincidence.

Paul65k

Reaction score
OK so I got the wheel off and the rotor and the hub looks very solid[emoji41]

IMG_0220.jpg

Here is the hub with Rotor off
IMG_0224.jpg

And I was able to get the one remaining stud out with my 4lb sledge. IMG_0225.jpg

Now I need to head to NAPA and see if I can get 8 studs and lug nuts then to the hardware store for a large punch to get the other 7 out.

Hopefully I can get this wrapped up and start drinking again[emoji6]

Yellowboat

Reaction score
might want to pick up a cheap c clamp at napa too put those studs back in. that or a fat stack of washers and a big lug wrench. I also roll with a cheap craftsmen torque wrench in my truck, just for torqueing lug nuts. you can get them on sale for $40 a couple times a year. I would not build a motor with it, but for lug nuts, its close enough.

PS a anti sieze
PHP:
on the threads is always a good idea.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Wow, glad it worked out.

Sheesh.

I check the lug nuts myself, everytime.

When we got a flat in Fontana on the way to the raftup, the guy at the tire shop looked at me like I had a dick sticking out of my forehead when I broke out my breaker bar to check the lugs myself after they put the tires back on.

So we're heading out for 5 weeks with the 5th wheel and so I do a bunch of stuff before I head out including 5 new tires at Discount.....looks like they forgot to torque the lugs on this wheel when they were through.

I checked everything, kicked tires, checked temps of tires and hubs everything except torque the nuts of course before I left and then a couple of times along the way and everything
was fine but when I turned off the freeway in Mammoth I noticed the rear wheel wobbling around the corner. Pulled into the chain up area and wholly crap only 3 lugs left (out of 8) and the 5 studs were sheared off[emoji15].

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Ho Lee Fuck :eek

Good thing you got it pulled over in time.:thumbsup

nowski

Reaction score
I'll just call you Mr. Lucky!!! Before having that drink I'd be buying a mega millions lottery ticket....

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
In the field, a C clamp and a deep socket works like it was its job to reinstall studs. ;)

Arbor press works the best. :)

...or gently with the sledge.

port austin pirate

Reaction score

View attachment 577405

View attachment 577406

And I was able to get the one remaining stud out with my 4lb sledge. View attachment 577407

Now I need to head to NAPA and see if I can get 8 studs and lug nuts then to the hardware store for a large punch to get the other 7 out.

Paul very lucky to have caught this, As all the guys have said, torque those puppys in the right pattern, bring em up by stages, check em again after a few miles and again after a few more miles, Dont know why but alum wheels seem to have to be retorqued couple times. happy you caught this,have a good one

nowski

Reaction score
In the field, a C clamp and a deep socket works like it was its job to reinstall studs. ;)

Arbor press works the best. :)

...or gently with the sledge.
I recently showed my son the old C clamp trick. Ever try removing a pressed bushing out of a blind hole??? These old guys still have a trick or two up our sleeves...

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I recently showed my son the old C clamp trick. Ever try removing a bushing out of a blind hole??? These old guys still have a trick or two up our sleeves...

gresed rag trick? I have done that so many times its not even funny.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Lucky you for sure.

I had a truck tire fall off my truck right before I got on the FWY after LEAVING a Ford Dealership with my just serviced truck many years ago. Same deal and it could have killed me and others on the FWY as the tire would have probably bounced into oncoming traffic. They made it all right but damn....

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I recently showed my son the old C clamp trick. Ever try removing a pressed bushing out of a blind hole??? These old guys still have a trick or two up our sleeves...

Yep, I do it all the time. The old school way is to use a tap, and be very careful. :yikes

nowski

Reaction score
gresed rag trick? I have done that so many times its not even funny.
I'm not sure about the rag trick but grease is used.

Load the blind hole up with grease.

Here is the important part: If the bushing inside diameter is .500" use a .499" / .498" gauge pin, put it into the I.D. of the bushing and hit the gauge pin with a hammer. The hydraulics of the grease and force of the gauge pin will force the bushing out...

buck35

Reaction score
Had some bushings on the backhoe boom that were toast and stuck . Father in law said to run a weld bead around the inside . Did so, let it cool and it damn near fell out. :cool

PaPaG

Reaction score
Paul PM Sent. I have to add I may even have an additional spare you could borrow if the right size and needed as backup.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Had some bushing on the bachoe boom that were toast and stuck . Father in law said to run a weld bead around the inside . Did so let it cool and it damn near fell out. :cool

Works good for a steel bushing or bearing race.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

Here is the important part: If the bushing inside diameter is .500" use a .499" / .498" gauge pin, put it into the I.D. of the bushing and hit the gauge pin with a hammer. The hydraulics of the grease and force of the gauge pin will force the bushing out...

Hit a gauge pin with a fuckin hammer?

You are never allowed to use my tools. :yikes :)

What happens if the bushing is eggshaped or worn wonky?

There are a couple machinists in here that should also roast you for the blasphemy.

Ill stick with the tap method and leave my gauge pins for inspections.

Brian

Yellowboat

Reaction score

Same thing only you pack in thin strps of rag with the grease. Lets you get by with a much looser fitting "piston" thr blue shop towels or an old t shirt work great

nowski

Reaction score
Paul, just glad to hear that your safe!!! Sounds like this thread is going to have a Happy Ending... :champagne:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Paul, just glad to hear that your safe!!! Sounds like this thread is going to have a Happy Ending... :champagne:

If this trailer is rockin' don't..... oh nm he is getting back on the road... :D

500bbc

Reaction score

Better with grease and a locating dowel.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

View attachment 577405

View attachment 577406

And I was able to get the one remaining stud out with my 4lb sledge. View attachment 577407

Get a few washers large enough to go over the studs, the proper studs, and a couple of open ended lug nuts for the studs.

Grease 2-3 washers, grease the stud splines, stack washers on the hub with new stud coming through, install an open end lug backwards with the taper out on the new stud, screw the lug down and it will pull the stud in easily and evenly. Much better than pounding them in.

I don't like using my normal lug nuts for this, so buy some sacrificial ones if possible. You will need to because you have closed lugs anyway.

nowski

Reaction score
Hit a gauge pin with a fuckin hammer?

You are never allowed to use my tools. :yikes :)

What happens if the bushing is eggshaped or worn wonky?

There are a couple machinists in here that should also roast you for the blasphemy.

Ill stick with the tap method and leave my gauge pins for inspections.

Brian
It's maybe a $10 dollar item :rolleyes. It's the fastest and cheapest way to remove a bushing IMO. Once used it doesn't go back into the gauge set, paint it with some dykem and keep it separated from the rest. It can be used over and over again if needed. I've replaced hundreds of bushings over the years, you typically replace bushings when they are worn and wonky don't you? BTW it's cheaper than the tap method but, to each his own...

Meaney77

Reaction score
Had a similar situation on my 5th wheel, we were heading back from a Thanksgiving weekend out in Johnson Valley. Just as I got onto the 15 after coming down the Cajon Pass, I looker and see a wheel bouncing down the freeway- it was mine... Luckily no one was hurt, it could have turned out really bad. We ended up ratchet strapping the axle up and limping it to a dealer in Claremont. About the last thing I wanted to deal with after a long weekend.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
I lost the wheel off a myco tandem trailer with a 32 ft boat on coming down from berryessa about 70 miles after shop just installed new kodiak brakes and new tires. Same deal lugs loosened, snapped all studs and ruined my wheel. Lots of fun getting axle strapped up to limp down hill into napa.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
It's maybe a $10 dollar item :rolleyes. It's the fastest and cheapest way to remove a bushing IMO. Once used it doesn't go back into the gauge set, paint it with some dykem and keep it separated from the rest. It can be used over and over again if needed. I've replaced hundreds of bushings over the years, you typically replace bushings when they are worn and wonky don't you? BTW it's cheaper than the tap method but, to each his own...

My point was if the bushing is worn wonky the grease will just spray out of the sloppy part, no?

Considering you can reuse the tap for what it is intended for afterword....I'd disagree. ;)

Buthaaaaaymangoforit. :)

CobraDave

Reaction score
So what is the best way to ratchet strap a wheel. I normally see them wrapped every which way no rhyme or reason...where do u connect the hooks?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
So what is the best way to ratchet strap a wheel. I normally see them wrapped every which way no rhyme or reason...where do u connect the hooks?

Around the chassis and the axle.

Ties it up from touching the ground and lets the other axle(s) do work.

Best to use a chain. :)

Or a 4x4 under the good axle if it has linked leaf springs.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Around the chassis and the axle.

Ties it up from touching the ground and lets the other axle(s) do work.

Best to use a chain. :)

Or a 4x4 under the good axle if it has linked leaf springs.

Dave on your boat trailer (and mine) with Torsion axles you would actually strap up the hub. Strapping up the axle will do nothing, as the "axle" is bolted directly to the trailer frame and is really just a housing to hold the torsion hubs.

You'd remove the wheel and strap around the hub, or you may get by just pulling the wheel off, and not strapping anything.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Dave on your boat trailer (and mine) with Torsion axles you would actually strap up the hub. Strapping up the axle will do nothing, as the "axle" is bolted directly to the trailer frame and is really just a housing to hold the torsion hubs.

Noted.

I have never had a torsion spring trailer, my bad.

Yep, torsion axle, take off the wheeldonedeal.