WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HOLY CRAP!

C-2

Reaction score
Unbelievable

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Safer Barriers, F1, they are way better than those dumb ass metal fences. Though I agree with the assessment on the video, they need to look hard at the design of the car and the fuel tanks because that shouldn't happen in modern racing. Especially not at the F1 level where money is practically unlimited.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Motherfuckin goddam iron man!
In other sporting news this week,
32ECE2F2-D664-4AC5-B00F-EE39ED6D7DFB.jpeg

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I don’t come close to following f1 anymore, but orange flames?
I can watch a lot of crashes but when the fires start I pretty much start to loose my shit.

Mototrig

Reaction score
Oh my gawd I was holding my breath. Amazing he survived

Universal Elements

Reaction score
My God!! With all the technology in F1, that's the best they can do for fire safety crew? A bunch of fire extinguishers?

Thats, what I said. No comparison to Indy or NASCAR.Uh, they need to spend some money on their fire & rescue equipment plus training.

RaceTec

Reaction score
Training and response were horrible with that one... Glad he got out when he did and the halo around the cockpit did its job. Having been at and seen many crashes especially open wheel when I saw this one I was amazed how well he did!!! Modern fire suits and that equipment, HANS and all saved his life... The failure of the chassis was insane.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Training and response were horrible with that one... Glad he got out when he did and the halo around the cockpit did its job. Having been at and seen many crashes especially open wheel when I saw this one I was amazed how well he did!!! Modern fire suits and that equipment, HANS and all saved his life... The failure of the chassis was insane.

The other thing to remember is the race had just started, so the fuel cell(s) were about as full as they could possibly be. Had this happened later in the race the fire may have been far less intense due to lack of fuel to burn.

This is an interesting read on the fuel cells in F1: http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/fuel_cell.html

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
It's hard to believe he walked away from that... Unbelievable

scottchbrite

Reaction score
My God!! With all the technology in F1, that's the best they can do for fire safety crew? A bunch of fire extinguishers?
I couldn’t agree more. Watching the untrained safety crew was really upsetting. As much as I cant stand the NHRA, their Safety Safari is probably some of the best out there.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I95 Speedway has a better response team than that!! That was pitiful to say the least. Mega MILLIONS racing and a showing like that, Jesus Christ!!!!!!

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I don’t come close to following f1 anymore, but orange flames?
I can watch a lot of crashes but when the fires start I pretty much start to loose my shit.

F1 cars carry 40 US Gallons of racing gasoline, nothing special like methanol. As they are not allowed refueling during a race, they have to have all the fuel on board at the start of the race necessary to complete it. It's not like they can decide to only carry enough fuel to get them to the first planned pit stop...

Tom Slick

Reaction score
F1 safety is pretty damn good considering they haven't had a fire like that in nearly 3 decades. Considering that the accident happened essentially on an area of the track that generally would not see an accident, let alone of this magnitude, the 35-40 second response time from emergency workers was pretty good. That said, it's a miracle that he survived and the Halo proved itself that night as not only a major safety advancement, but also one heck of an armco barrier destroyer.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
F1 cars carry 40 US Gallons of racing gasoline, nothing special like methanol. As they are not allowed refueling during a race, they have to have all the fuel on board at the start of the race necessary to complete it. It's not like they can decide to only carry enough fuel to get them to the first planned pit stop...
Thank you. My first thought was that don’t look right. 40 gal. Wow

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Now i thought i was lucky when i crashed the Ferrari that is on a whole new level

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Grosjean pulling that move exiting turn 3 on lap 1 is the most grosjean move I have seen. Glad he is okay, but man what a bad decision.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Grosjean pulling that move exiting turn 3 on lap 1 is the most grosjean move I have seen. Glad he is okay, but man what a bad decision.

He is a terrible driver..glad he made it out safely, but for fucks sake he has made some dumb ass maneuvers...that being his final one.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
He's no "Iron Man" in my book he's an idiot who cut somebody off on lap 1! And the same person who called him an Iron Man points out the drama laden men's soccer....... What about ALL the dramatic tactics put into that video? Complete BS! That video makes you think he was in there for 30 min. And they don't even show an aerial shot cause it might show how he cut a guy off so bad and that's what really caused the crash.

So he got a little hot 😂 , I credit the technology and safety equipment, NOT this guy who remembered how to unbuckle his seat belt. Don't get me wrong, I know I couldn't do it but ignoring the drama put into that cinematic grammy deserving masterpiece of a video, is the ONLY way he gets to be mistakenly called Iron Man.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
He's no "Iron Man" in my book he's an idiot who cut somebody off on lap 1! And the same person who called him an Iron Man points out the drama laden men's soccer....... What about ALL the dramatic tactics put into that video? Complete BS! That video makes you think he was in there for 30 min. And they don't even show an aerial shot cause it might show how he cut a guy off so bad and that's what really caused the crash.

So he got a little hot 😂 , I credit the technology and safety equipment, NOT this guy who remembered how to unbuckle his seat belt. Don't get me wrong, I know I couldn't do it but ignoring the drama put into that cinematic grammy deserving masterpiece of a video, is the ONLY way he gets to be mistakenly called Iron Man.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Ya ya was it it drama video sure. Does anyone think he was in there for minutes like the video time line played out, I doubt it. Was he racing to win on the first lap? Looks like it. Did his car do it’s job and save his life, absofuckinglutly. Do I think anyone that hits a wall then goes in flame at 140 then climbs out on there own is pretty dam tuff? Dam straight. Don’t like my comparison to a known cry baby soccer players smashed pinky 😂

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Ya ya was it it drama video sure. Does anyone think he was in there for minutes like the video time line played out, I doubt it. Was he racing to win on the first lap? Looks like it. Did his car do it’s job and save his life, absofuckinglutly. Do I think anyone that hits a wall then goes in flame at 140 then climbs out on there own is pretty dam tuff? Dam straight. Don’t like my comparison to a known cry baby soccer players smashed pinky 😂

proverbial hat tip

Cdog

Reaction score
Crazy stuff. I watched it live. Honestly my biggest fear in a race car is burning alive. I have a piece of aluminum & fiberglass between me & the fuel cell.

Fun fact. Grosjean spent more time on fire than Marzaspin spent racing Grosjeans car last week.