WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Holy Grail Hallett 270 - Starting the Project

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This will be a long thread that might last a year or more as we work on the boat and try to restore it to it's former glory, or rather beyond it's former glory.

So as most of you know I picked up a Hallett 270 from Preston at Horizon Motorsports last week. The boat features twin Scorpion 377 motors, and has some kind of unique features to it. It's got a ginormous belly tank in it, and the guy actually had an auxiliary fuel pump put in so that he could fill up jet ski's up at Mead when they cover longer distances. There's a bunch of other cool stuff that's just older and needs to be redone as well, that we'll get into as we continue on down the path.

Up first, lets take a look at what we are working with.

The Test Drive

RD

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So starting off, the gel on the boat is a six or a seven. I'm sure most people selling would call it an 8 or even higher but I'm picky as shit and come from the Schiada camp. The good news is it's all restorable, and it isn't "gone" per say. Most the shit I'm talking about wouldn't even show up in pics.

IMG_4240.jpg

The button activated an old school foot wash down on the bow.. remember this boat was built in 98! Pretty far ahead of it's time.

IMG_4242.jpg

Steve had somebody buff the top, and it's ok.

IMG_4243.jpg

There's a couple of spots where there was gel repairs done in the past and the clear has chaulked up.. I think these are going to be easy fixes.

IMG_4246.jpg
IMG_4247.jpg

The swim step is pretty dull. I can teak oil the wood and bring it back to new easy enough. I'm contemplating ditching the wood for gator step in those grooves. Not sure if that is a good idea or not and would welcome input.

IMG_4248.jpg

Ski pole is coming out and getting polished.

IMG_4249.jpg

The interior must have been redone. This is like a 9/10 and it is factory Hallett or Arko.

IMG_4252.jpg

Under the bow appears to be all original but it again is an 8 out of 10. It's amazingly clean for its age. Couple things here and there but nothing worth tearing out and replacing it all. Especially since we have three kids that have made this their new home away from home.

IMG_4253.jpg

There is old school indirect lighting with rope lights.. honestly I really like the old school soft lighting that bulbs give you. It's all probably gonna go by the way side in favor of new LED stuff.

IMG_4254.jpg

There's a giant built in cooler on the starboard side. This is what's left after a full day of kids and four adults drinking out of it.

IMG_4255.jpg

Bottle holders on both sides and on the port side cabinets and shelves radio etc.

IMG_4257.jpg

Bed up front with a mirror that opens up. There's decent storage up there and that's where the cockpit cover and some other stuff currently resides.

IMG_4258.jpg
IMG_4259.jpg

Old school stereo that I'm sure was ok back in it's day, but barely works now.. it's all going to the wayside.

IMG_4260.jpg

Twin Scorpions
IMG_4261.jpg

This could definitely be cleaned up.

IMG_4262.jpg

And this
IMG_4263.jpg

And that
IMG_4264.jpg

Tube headers on the scorpions is a nice touch.
IMG_4265.jpg

This is the auxiliary fuel station I was talking about earlier. You pull that hose and and you can transfer fuel to other vessels.

IMG_4266.jpg

That's pretty much the lay of the land so far. I gotta get it washed up and cleaned out over the next couple days, and then figure out where to start.

Last edited:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Should be a cool project, can't wait to see some updates

renodaytona

Reaction score
Look like it's going to be a fun project to make it how you want it. I think the teak on the swim step is nice but the gator step would be a nice update and a bit safer for the kids.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I had a full teak swimstep very hard to keep them looking good since they are always wet.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Ran a Holley blue to pump into ski's on our 27. Step bottom tank is 115, straight bottom is 125.

One thing I will say Dave is if you are taking the cockpit interior out, take the time to cut the foam out, pull the tank and remount it. With the age of the boat you are guaranteed to have a tank issue sooner than later. Also inspect/replace the filler and vent hose if needed.

The foam holds moisture against the aluminum and causes it to corrode.

On the step they went to plastic inserts.

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Ran a Holley blue to pump into ski's on our 27. Step bottom tank is 115, straight bottom is 125.

One thing I will say Dave is if you are taking the cockpit interior out, take the time to cut the foam out, pull the tank and remount it. With the age of the boat you are guaranteed to have a tank issue sooner than later. Also inspect/replace the filler and vent hose if needed.

I'm currently doing this with mine. 1989 270T. Tank is currently at IMCO being fabbed. Original tank was full of holes and corroded, bad. Got the tank out and no more foam. IMCO will add tabs to the tank to secure to the bulkheads.

oldschool

Reaction score
I can't believe you took your kids out in that death trap. Boat looks bitchen as is, but I'm sure it will be even better when you do some the things you've talked about. Teak looks good, but is a bit of a pita, got or step would be trick. I would check the tank, sounds like there is potential for issue there. All around great boat though, good for you and your family.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

The boat is a twin step.. So you think I would still have this problem?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I'm currently doing this with mine. 1989 270T. Tank is currently at IMCO being fabbed. Original tank was full of holes and corroded, bad. Got the tank out and no more foam. IMCO will add tabs to the tank to secure to the bulkheads.

We had an 89 also. I had the tabs added also. Be prepared to fab something up if you are doing the install. The new tank will be shorter and not run bulkhead to bulkhead.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The boat is a twin step.. So you think I would still have this problem?

Nothing to do with the bottom design. Age of the boat and the way they were installed. The foam is the main issue. Your tank could be fine. If you remove the foam and rubber mount the tank you will never have an issue.

Ours was fine until one trip it wasn't.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I'm guessing you will have everything out to do the stereo/wiring.

One of those might as well while I am in there type of things.

Andy B.

Reaction score
Nice boat I would love to have a bow sprayer that's cool!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Nothing to do with the bottom design. Age of the boat and the way they were installed. The foam is the main issue. Your tank could be fine. If you remove the foam and rubber mount the tank you will never have an issue.

Ours was fine until one trip it wasn't.

Maybe I misread the post. At the end it said "on the step they went with plastic inserts." What did that mean?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Be interested to know the cause of the yellowing. I noticed a section on the side of my 240 that had a faint yellow spot last time out.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
It would be cool to see all new gauges, leds and really modernize the boat up to date. This is a dream boat of mine but I want twin 600hp small blocks in it. Like LS motors. Can you show what Steve did to the drives?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My boat has that "chalky" clear happening where gel repairs were done in the past. I'd like to see how its fixed here

tkrrox

Reaction score
Be interested to know the cause of the yellowing. I noticed a section on the side of my 240 that had a faint yellow spot last time out.

Mine came from gas weeping out of the breather. A PITA to get rid of. I made a hose that slips over the breather and runs over the side so when it's in storage or sits it will just drop to the ground

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My boat has that "chalky" clear happening where gel repairs were done in the past. I'd like to see how its fixed here

I would think they just sand off the clear and reshoot it with new clear. Not sure Pedro is coming by today to take a looks at what it's gonna take to make it "new." (Literally new ;) )

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I love it. My boat is a 96, and looks just like yours in the cabin, same colors, same material.. I even have the same old school rope lighting..lol. It appears your missing the little mirror "Disco Ball" looking accents that I cherish so much however ;)

Looks like it ran fine.. I was expecting it to be chine walking, porpoising uncontrollably and throwing you out as soon as you started to turn from all the "Rumors" :p:D

Welcome to the OCBC (Old Closed Bow Club) :p

You should get that thing fitted for a nice keel guard ;)

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Mine came from gas weeping out of the breather. A PITA to get rid of. I made a hose that slips over the breather and runs over the side so when it's in storage or sits it will just drop to the ground

I found out about the breather spilling fuel the fist time I parked it down hill with the tank full and it got hot. What a mess ran all they way into the front storage in the bow.

The yellow spot I found last time out was on the passage side and centered in the boat and half way down. Trying to get it to adrenaline for a detail.

I'll be watching to see how Saleen does and I will be looking at getting some areas touched up but hey are very minor. Just the yellowing has me freaked out.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I love it. My boat is a 96, and looks just like yours in the cabin, same colors, same material.. I even have the same old school rope lighting..lol. It appears your missing the little mirror "Disco Ball" looking accents that I cherish so much however ;)

Looks like it ran fine.. I was expecting it to be chine walking, porpoising uncontrollably and throwing you out as soon as you started to turn from all the "Rumors" :p:D

Welcome to the OCBC (Old Closed Bow Club) :p

You should get that thing fitted for a nice keel guard ;)

I was running right behind you on the way back from Steam Boat. This has a solid canvas Bimini that is good for about 35 mph other wise I would have caught up to say hello.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

No shit, the snowflakes here made it seem like the '70-'80s drivers-ed scare tactics "Unsafe at Any Speed"

Brian

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I was running right behind you on the way back from Steam Boat. This has a solid canvas Bimini that is good for about 35 mph other wise I would have caught up to say hello.

Didn?t even see you.. I think you got a great boat though. I met Dkhanjob in the channel one day earlier this year, bent his ear for about an hour about his boat. Sure seemed like a great set up. He?s definitely be worth talking too if you get the chance.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I would keep the rope lights, it's so much more pleasant lighting than LCD's IMO.

Have you thought about covering the glass areas of the swim step with gator and refinishing/sealing the teak?

Old School is cool. Always. Unless you are talking about fuel leaks, and wiring issues...that stuff is ok to update :thumbup: :p

Sounds like she runs strong, I did not see any real handling issues with the vid you posted....even when you gave her a bit of a goose.

Stoked for you man, it even matches your Schiada! :)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
First Stop is to Barrett Custom Marine in the AM. The plugs have a slight leak that he wants to address before the birthday weekend! We'd feel kinda stupid if this thing sank on the dock in the keys. (it wouldn't happen but I'm weird about leaks)

Pedro from Saleen came over today to take a look at our gel problems and it's going in on Tuesday for the first go around on making her a dime piece!! He's got some ideas and wants to try a few different things.

IMG_4267.jpg

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Maybe I misread the post. At the end it said "on the step they went with plastic inserts." What did that mean?

I meant the swim step. Sorry about that. Where the teak is they use a plastic insert.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Looks like a shit ton of work, to get it how you're gonna want it to be! Should be a fun project.

Was Jim able to help you out at all??

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ok so the plugs in the back of the boat were leaking and the starboard transom assembly was leaking a little bit. (Both of these issues Steve told me about by the way).

Took it down to Barrett this morning. They installed the new style drains.

IMG_4278.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

Tightened the transom assembly, and no more leaks.

They also pulled the ski pole for me so I can get that polished and re-installed and we are coming up with a plan to modernize the transom of the boat and make it look new.

IMG_4280.jpg

This all changing
IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Hullbilly

Reaction score
First Stop is to Barrett Custom Marine in the AM. The plugs have a slight leak that he wants to address before the birthday weekend! We'd feel kinda stupid if this thing sank on the dock in the keys. (it wouldn't happen but I'm weird about leaks)

Pedro from Saleen came over today to take a look at our gel problems and it's going in on Tuesday for the first go around on making her a dime piece!! He's got some ideas and wants to try a few different things.

View attachment 588851

Lol I see Pedro stopped hitting the iron....I tried telling him he couldnt hang with the big kids!

Awesome project!!

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Ok so the plugs in the back of the boat were leaking and the starboard transom assembly was leaking a little bit. (Both of these issues Steve told me about by the way).

Took it down to Barrett this morning. They installed the new style drains.

View attachment 589200

View attachment 589201

Tightened the transom assembly, and no more leaks.

They also pulled the ski pole for me so I can get that polished and re-installed and we are coming up with a plan to modernize the transom of the boat and make it look new.

View attachment 589202

This is all changing soon.

View attachment 589203
What is wrong with the steering?

4Waters

Reaction score
Leave the teak it looks so nice when it's oiled up. My ex's dad's boat had a 100% teak swim step, I oiled it up everyday until it stoped soaking it up and then it was just a once a month thing, looked so damn nice.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with the steering.. Just switching to the new style hoses etc..

This

Aren't the imco hoses just covered in plastic? I think you can razor blade them off and it's braided stainless underneath.

Verify before you cut...lol

e911

Reaction score
Boat looked good passing us in the channel last weekend

bocco

Reaction score
Who makes those drain plugs? I like em.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Good looking boat, looking forward to see the progress pix. But I have to ask, how much do you think you will be into this when all said and done to make it your "dime piece"?

I only ask because I struggle with this now... My boat is paid for, its 17 years old, it needs some love- interior, gel, trailer. But at the end of the day it works and I struggle putting money into it at this point with 3 young kids. But I would imaging I could easily dump $20K if not more to get it up to today's standards.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Good looking boat, looking forward to see the progress pix. But I have to ask, how much do you think you will be into this when all said and done to make it your "dime piece"?

I only ask because I struggle with this now... My boat is paid for, its 17 years old, it needs some love- interior, gel, trailer. But at the end of the day it works and I struggle putting money into it at this point with 3 young kids. But I would imaging I could easily dump $20K if not more to get it up to today's standards.

I don't really think it's fair to talk prices w RD. He gets better discounts than us 😜

Singleton

Reaction score

Trailer = 4500 to 6k, depending on size and work
Interior = figure 10k
Gel = no idea, never had a full gel redo quoted

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Interior = figure 10k

I just priced out building a new Extreme triple axle for a 27. 8500. Pretty solid deal. Interior should be 6-8k.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Interior = figure 10k

You are right. Stopped by Adrenaline on Sunday to get a quote and was around $5k
Interior- figuring $10K
Gel- Who knows.
Stereo is descent but a few years old- probably worth changing out to new stuff with interior out $5K
Motor- Has already been rebuilt once- so do you keep running it until something goes south or rebuild- $5-7K
Outdrive- $2500 ???

Break Out Another Thousand!! At the end of the day its all worth it, I love it the kids love it and I love that the kids love it and its still cheaper than buying something new.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Who makes those drain plugs? I like em.

To make it a legit dime piece it would be considerable amount of money.. I'm just shooting for above average. Lol

IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

So I had the bezel and ski pole polished.. that program didn't quite go back together as easy as I thought it would. I'm likely going to change the whole setup into something a little more "me."

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This is the boat when I dropped it off yesterday. Needless to say some of this stuff is hard to take pics of. The gel needed to be gone through to make it even somewhat presentable.

Some wetsanding and buffing will clear a lot of this shit out.

IMG_4486.jpg

IMG_4487.jpg

IMG_4493.jpg

IMG_4494.jpg

IMG_4496.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4500.jpg

Boat at Saleen

IMG_4484.jpg

Last edited: