WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Home AC repair.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
This is the new age we live in. Get smart about these types of repairs, research and save. Assume any technician showing up at your house for anything is going to include a bill you didn’t expect.

Did I mention I’m pulling the heads off an 85k Escalade to replace lifters tomorrow?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
So let me ask you this..... Was it the capacitor replacement for $419 or was it just the capacitor part for $419? If it was just the part then I agree. If the total repairs was $419 which includes the pets and labor then he’s doing exactly what you’re asking. 🤷🏻‍♂️

do you ask McDonald’s how much the cheeseburger is if you assemble it yourself? Or bring your own cheese?

I can only speak for what I know, but the Company I work for charges flat rate on all repairs, whichis the total cost for parts,labor for the specified repair.

It was an $89 diag, plus $417 for the capacitor with installation "included".

As for the hamburger, no I don't Nd I usually eat them the way they come. I'm not a picky eater. But I've never had a restaurant try and charge me hundreds of dollars for a hamburger either. I've paid $40 for a good fucking hamburger and been happy about it too.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I agree with this. I believe the tech in question did the customer a seious disservice as it rarely is just a cap that fails. He jumped to the quick and easy repair and didn’t do his “potential” customer right by taking a short cut. I can almost guarantee that if he checked the fan motor or compressor one of them will be over amping and will take out the new cap too in short time. So the real repair is the motor replacement or correcting the hard starting compressor. The OP should be more upset he paid for a “diagnostic” and got short changed by the tech not doing a thourpugh diagnosis of what the real problem was. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Funny you should mention that because I asked him specifically to check the fan motor before he left and he refused insisting it was only the capacitor. (And to be fare, I took the capacitor off after he left using nothing but my Keychain wrench because I don't keep tools at home) and took it back to work with me where my meter was. The capacitor is confirmed bad.

The entire ac unit and handler in my house is only 5 years old and I've lived here 3.5. Though that is a valid point, its probably not all that applicable in my case although I have had worse luck.
20200816_093809.jpg

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
It was an $89 diag, plus $417 for the capacitor with installation "included".

As for the hamburger, no I don't Nd I usually eat them the way they come. I'm not a picky eater. But I've never had a restaurant try and charge me hundreds of dollars for a hamburger either. I've paid $40 for a good fucking hamburger and been happy about it too.

So a $40 hamburger with a food cost of $1-$1.50 is ok. But a $400 capacitor with a cost of $22 is criminal? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
So a $40 hamburger with a food cost of $1-$1.50 is ok. But a $400 capacitor with a cost of $22 is criminal? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Food cost was probably closer to $12 on this particular burger. (Plus the labor to assemble it) 😂😂😂😂

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that because I asked him specifically to check the fan motor before he left and he refused insisting it was only the capacitor. (And to be fare, I took the capacitor off after he left using nothing but my Keychain wrench because I don't keep tools at home) and took it back to work with me where my meter was. The capacitor is confirmed bad.

The entire ac unit and handler in my house is only 5 years old and I've lived here 3.5. Though that is a valid point, its probably not all that applicable in my case although I have had worse luck. View attachment 912996

Something killed that 5 year old cap. Low voltage, voltage surge, amperage on start up, fan drAw, compressor draw, Etc etc etc. like I said I would be more upset with the incomplete diagnosis than the cost to replace the cap.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Something killed that 5 year old cap. Low voltage, voltage surge, amperage on start up, fan drAw, compressor draw, Etc etc etc. like I said I would be more upset with the incomplete diagnosis than the cost to replace the cap.
My trane did the same thing, I replaced the motor that came with double capacitors.

Turnup

Reaction score
I could care less, its capitalism and the ability to open the phone book or Google maps to find the next guy is the benefit of a free market system.

thedan

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
How much should an oil change cost? Using logic in this thread(besides the insurance/workman’s comp/benefits/employees/brick/mortar costs). Each customer pays for a new 15mm wrench, a new jack, new jack stands(not Harbor Freight), a new drain pan, a new filter socket, a new funnel, etc. $350? At some point, the shit is paid off, minus depreciation, maintenance, and replacement costs. An established business is taking advantage of its customers if those new costs are figured into EVERY new service call, which I believe is happening here. It’s hard to run a business in CA, so I sympathize, but shit gets ridiculous way too often too!

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Service guy most likely is paid commission on what he can sell you. Your 5 year old AC isn’t going to be replaced soon, so he sized you up for the 500 bill and lost.
Somebody has to pay for advertising and to keep 100 service trucks on the road.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Where does one find the old refrigerant that isnt available in california anymore due to stupidity?asking for a friend. Feel free to pm me.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
So need to get maintenance done on my AC unit any fair company's in the La Mirada area?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I completely agree that people should not maintain their systems. It makes job security for someone like me. 😂😂

If you think having a maintenance done and a couple hundred bucks in repairs every year is bad wait until someone like me steps in your door and we are not talking hundreds of dollars anymore it’s thousands or tens of thousands.

just had a guy write me a $16,000 check because he YouTube how to change the control board and when he hooked it back up he ran line voltage through the low-voltage side. 😂😂😂

I have a feeling your gonna be walking through my door here soon... Im gonna need the whole fucking tamale... My stuffs as old as i am and decided it wanted to trip breakers rather than work during this heat wave...

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I have a feeling your gonna be walking through my door here soon... Im gonna need the whole fucking tamale... My stuffs as old as i am and decided it wanted to trip breakers rather than work during this heat wave...

Seeing lots of that. Especially with such an uptick in people working from home. Systems are being put under much more stress. And bing used much much more.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
So need to get maintenance done on my AC unit any fair company's in the La Mirada area?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Tempco out of Artesia. Ask for Adam. I have used him and my parents as well. Done a lot of work for us. Fair prices. 562 860 0450

702sandman

Reaction score
Here in vegas my company (Desert Valley Heating & Cooling ) will charge $185 for a bad cap with diag and install... there’s so many shady companies here in town it is real bad...the ones that show up in white uniforms are the best 🤦🏼 You know your about to get bent over for sure. I’m all about making a buck but I really like to sleep well at night so each of my tech know if they sell something that’s not needed they will be fired on the spot. What really sucks right now is the dealers we buy our parts from are raising prices faster than we can blink. They blame metal costs, tariffs , and just normal increases and the shitty part is I have to pass this on to you guys. At some point we we really need to reel these prices in. It’s like boat prices right now or basically any toy pricing it’s out of control.

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Here in vegas my company will charge $185 for a bad cap with diag and install... there’s so many shady companies here in town it is real bad...the ones that show up in white uniforms are the best 🤦🏼 You know your about to get bent over for sure. I’m all about making a buck but I really like to sleep well at night so each of my tech know if they sell something that’s not needed they will be fired on the spot. What really sucks right now is the dealers we buy our parts from are raising prices faster than we can blink. They blame metal costs, tariffs , and just normal increases and the shitty part is I have to pass this on to you guys. At some point we we really need to reel these prices in. It’s like boat prices right now or basically any toy pricing it’s out of control.

Please post the name and contact info of your company so the inmates know where to find a reputable ac company in Vegas.

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
The entire ac unit and handler in my house is only 5 years old and I've lived here 3.5.
20200816_093809.jpg
Being a 2015 AC model, wouldn't this repair been covered under Trane Warranty?

Might be worth calling Trane to register your AC & heating furnace unit serial numbers for future problems?

Reach Trane Warranty Registration Center at 1-855-260-2975 for assistance.

Edit: Looks like you are covered for 10 years.
Limited Warranty #3039143 (< You need to know this number)
System 1 (Model# BAYHTR1510BRKC) (Serial# 1522B1HF0X) (Residential Extended) Functional Parts : Term End Date is 07/10/2025 (10 Years )
(Model# TEM6A0C42H41SAA) (Serial# 15123K552V) (Residential Extended) Functional Parts : Term End Date is 07/10/2025 (10 Years )
(Model# 4TWR5042G1000AA) (Serial# 1522523T2F) (Residential Extended) Functional Parts : Term End Date is 07/10/2025 (10 Years )
With the purchase of your equipment, you may be eligible for a labor warranty from your installing dealer. Contact the installing dealer to inquire if your system may qualify for repair labor free of charge.
Congratulations, your Limited Warranty was successfully submitted. This is important information. Please retain for your records. Please retain proof of the installation dates for your products (i.e. invoice) to verify the registered warranty for any future claims. For complete, comprehensive Limited Warranty terms and conditions, please refer to our Limited Warranty in the Use and Care information that accompanied your product, or contact your installing dealer.
Trane Limited Warranty Customer Service Number 1-855-260-2975

Taboma

Reaction score
I completely agree that people should not maintain their systems. It makes job security for someone like me. 😂😂

If you think having a maintenance done and a couple hundred bucks in repairs every year is bad wait until someone like me steps in your door and we are not talking hundreds of dollars anymore it’s thousands or tens of thousands.

just had a guy write me a $16,000 check because he YouTube how to change the control board and when he hooked it back up he ran line voltage through the low-voltage side. 😂😂😂

I thought I read you sold and retired ??

J.P.

Reaction score
The cost for operating multi service vehicles will eat your lunch gas, maintenance insurance etc. If your a one man show the overhead is way less.

wishiknew

Reaction score
i just payed $162 dollars for 2 lbs of freon (410A) and a $98 dollar trip charge only to not fix the problem a different guy came the next day and put water on the compressor to cool it off and it worked for about 6 hours and I payed him $150 dollars . unit is still not fixed .The bottom line is I called him so I payed but now what do I do Call them back for a $1000 dollar board replacement or get one of my friends to go from socal ????

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
i just payed $162 dollars for 2 lbs of freon (410A) and a $98 dollar trip charge only to not fix the problem a different guy came the next day and put water on the compressor to cool it off and it worked for about 6 hours and I payed him $150 dollars . unit is still not fixed .The bottom line is I called him so I payed but now what do I do Call them back for a $1000 dollar board replacement or get one of my friends to go from socal ????
ThAts an odd one. Again this is why am accurate and thorough diagnosis is so important. To avoid multiple trips. I’m

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I never said maintenance was a bad idea. I also never said your business practices are nothing more than honest.
But I doesn’t sound like your stepping in my door anyways. Ha.
Unless it’s to drink beer

Me stepping in any RDP members house nowadays would be highly unlikely. I don’t pick where I go anymore. I wake up they tell me where to go for the day, when I get home I leave my phone/iPad in the truck Till the next day. No managing, no decisions, no employees. It’s like a vacation. 😂😂

Taboma

Reaction score
Me stepping in any RDP members house nowadays would be highly unlikely. I don’t pick where I go anymore. I wake up they tell me where to go for the day, when I get home I leave my phone/iPad in the truck Till the next day. No managing, no decisions, no employees. It’s like a vacation. 😂😂

Well hell yeah, a paid full time vacation is much better than being retired 🥳 😁 At least it pays better 🤑

I'm going to edit this by saying --- you were certainly a knowledgeable spokesperson, with a very good attitude and delivery for your previous company. 👍👍👍

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Well hell yeah, a paid full time vacation is much better than being retired 🥳 😁 At least it pays better 🤑

I'm going to edit this by saying --- you were certainly a knowledgeable spokesperson, with a very good attitude and delivery for your previous company. 👍👍👍

Don’t kid yourself......I’m still working, in fact I work harder than an ugly stripper nowadays. But I work when I want and don’t when I don’t. All the employee issues, bitching customers, scheduling, management, cash flow, etc are handled by others above my pay grade.
I get to focus on only one thing and that’s what I’m best at.....providing solutions to people’s comfort issues.

my previous shop is still one of the best out there and handsdown one the most technical HVAC contractors In the biz. They turn out a lot ofhigh end stuff that most companies couldn’t even imagine. I will miss doing that type of stuff as that was fun and challenging.

EBT531

Reaction score
It must be a havasu thing or you have really bad luck. I've used two different companies. #1 changed a capacitor. $75 to come out and $50 for the part which is like $22 on amazon. #2 Just hit me $815 to fix a leak and install 9lbs of freon. I dont think either price was that bad considering its AZ summer.

On the other side, I had a guy some out when my old house compressor went out. For the outside unit, install and freon charge he wanted nearly $3k! I went online and found the exact same make/model unit new in FL for $1200 with shipping. Found a guy who charged me $300 to connect and charge it so I saved 50%. The installer said no way could he have touched the price I paid for the unit and copied the website down in case he needed a unit in the future.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Don’t kid yourself......I’m still working, in fact I work harder than an ugly stripper nowadays. But I work when I want and don’t when I don’t. All the employee issues, bitching customers, scheduling, management, cash flow, etc are handled by others above my pay grade.
I get to focus on only one thing and that’s what I’m best at.....providing solutions to people’s comfort issues.

my previous shop is still one of the best out there and handsdown one the most technical HVAC contractors In the biz. They turn out a lot ofhigh end stuff that most companies couldn’t even imagine. I will miss doing that type of stuff as that was fun and challenging.

Didn't you own a HVAC company? not anymore?

jet496

Reaction score
Turbo Capacitors cost about $50 bucks so they could sell it for $100. The only reason to sell them that instead of the correct one is because they carry it on their truck & it can be made for any capacitance so it's a handy dandy versatile capacitor. That being said. It should've been a quick fix, 1 hr charge, truck charge & capacitor.

As far as a 4 hour minimum someone else mentioned, we have all repeat business & my customers would not have that. Hell you could get 32 hours billed in an 8 hour day that way. LOL. Nope, we just want to be paid for our actual time & materials at a reasonable 30% mark-up. Make a shitload that way so no need to go further.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Turbo Capacitors cost about $50 bucks so they could sell it for $100. The only reason to sell them that instead of the correct one is because they carry it on their truck & it can be made for any capacitance so it's a handy dandy versatile capacitor. That being said. It should've been a quick fix, 1 hr charge, truck charge & capacitor.

As far as a 4 hour minimum someone else mentioned, we have all repeat business & my customers would not have that. Hell you could get 32 hours billed in an 8 hour day that way. LOL. Nope.

I don’t know of any decent home service business (HvAC, plumbing, electrical, etc) that operates on that pricing structure, and those that do would be out of business shortly. The business has to be ran as a business in order to be there for the repeat business.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
The owner of said company reached out to me today after seeing my negative review (my 2nd review ever online). He told me I was "slandering his good name" and asked me to change it.

We had a very long back and forth email exchange today sharing everything from business models to actual and acceptable markups and labor charges.

He was very honest in our private exchanges and though I don't agree with him in the least, I agreed to soften the language of my review for that reason alone. However, the content of the review did not change at all and I ended our private conversation in telling him he still oughta be ashamed of himself.

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I was an owner in a company, Left to pursue some other opportunities

I'm sure the stress is a lot less, congrats on the change i'm sure it wasn't easy....... good luck with the new opportunities.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
.....and my $15 dollar capacitor has me running again. I'm still completely baffled by this guys pricing structure which he actually shared with me.....

And here I thought I was expensive working on engines, transmissions, drives, electronics, ac and dc electrical, stereos, plumbing, generators, and marine hvac. If you ask me, I am far more versatile and carry more knowledge. Currently considering a career change.🤔🤔

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
.....and my $15 dollar capacitor has me running again. I'm still completely baffled by this guys pricing structure which he actually shared with me.....

And here I thought I was expensive working on engines, transmissions, drives, electronics, ac and dc electrical, stereos, plumbing, generators, and marine hvac. If you ask me, I am far more versatile and carry more knowledge. Currently considering a career change.🤔🤔
I've been lurking on this thread and must agree with you 100% on the prices people get for capacitors. My Pentair heat pump for the pool has gone thru 2 capacitors in 5 years and a friend with the same heat pump has gone thru 3 in I believe 8 years and the pool stores get a small fortune for them. I finally found them on ebay for about $70.00 shipped for the first couple of them, I installed theirs also but the last I bought I got 2 for $21 shipped. Same fricking part but it wasn't in a Pentair bag.

To go with the thing about something else must be going, the pool supply distributor here, that all the pool stores buy from, told me they have a hard time keeping them in stock this time of year due to the heat. Is 123 degrees to hot?? 😁

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I don’t know of any decent home service business (HvAC, plumbing, electrical, etc) that operates on that pricing structure, and those that do would be out of business shortly. The business has to be ran as a business in order to be there for the repeat business.
Sounds like you subscribe to the "One Hour Heating and AC. business plan.😂 I've never been charged a 4 hr. min by any AC. Co., plumber or electrician and never will, and I've used the biggest name in Havasu.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like you subscribe to the "One Hour Heating and AC. business plan.😂 I've never been charged a 4 hr. min by any AC. Co., plumber or electrician and never will, and I've used the biggest name in Havasu.

I Never said anything about a minimum hourly charge?? I don’t believe in charging time and materials. Flat rate pricing is pretty much the industry norm nowadays.🤷🏻‍♂️

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I've been lurking on this thread and must agree with you 100% on the prices people get for capacitors. My Pentair heat pump for the pool has gone thru 2 capacitors in 5 years and a friend with the same heat pump has gone thru 3 in I believe 8 years and the pool stores get a small fortune for them. I finally found them on ebay for about $70.00 shipped for the first couple of them, I installed theirs also but the last I bought I got 2 for $21 shipped. Same fricking part but it wasn't in a Pentair bag.

To go with the thing about something else must be going, the pool supply distributor here, that all the pool stores buy from, told me they have a hard time keeping them in stock this time of year due to the heat. Is 123 degrees to hot?? 😁

All of the installs I have done in AZ I order high ambient kits for them. Which is basically a hard start kit. Wouldn’t be any different for the pool heat pump.

boatdoc55

Reaction score
All of the installs I have done in AZ I order high ambient kits for them. Which is basically a hard start kit. Wouldn’t be any different for the pool heat pump.
Thanks!! What kind of blew my skirt up was on the initial cap I asked a pool guy about it and he said he refers all heat pump issues to the HVAC guy's. :D Great I said, I've got a good one of those..

oldschool

Reaction score
All I know is my AC went out last night and I can’t get anyone here till Monday. Looks like I’ll be in the pool all weekend.

bocco

Reaction score
There's a time and place to make money off of people. Replacing a capacitor isn't one of them. That's when you come clean with them and take care of them. Then when they need a complete system put in you're the first guy they call because they trust you, then they tell their neighbors etc... That's how it works, at least for me. I have a pool guy that's so solid I would pay him whatever he wants because he's earned my trust. $500 for a 20 min quick fix and you're dead to me.

Correct point right here. I will be buying a new system next year unless my 30 year old system dies sooner. I won't be calling the guys that ripped me off replacing a relay 2 years ago.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Correct point right here. I will be buying a new system next year unless my 30 year old system dies sooner. I won't be calling the guys that ripped me off replacing a relay 2 years ago.

Have you looked into Mini Splits?

boatdoc55

Reaction score
You guys are gonna be real pissed when you find out McDonalds is making 1,000% mark up on a large coke lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's why the wife and I don't buy them. Always have the soft side with us with the sodies. Takes 30 seconds to throw the soda and ice pack in the soft side and away we go.

hallett21

Reaction score
That's why the wife and I don't buy them. Always have the soft side with us with the sodies. Takes 30 seconds to throw the soda and ice pack in the soft side and away we go.

Let’s not lie fountain is better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk