WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Home Depot selling power tools that won't work unless they're activated at a register

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Trying to deter theft using Bluetooth to enable the tools at checkout. Kind of reminds me of gift cards that have no value unless they're activated. This could probably work with things like expensive electronics.

My concern is that shoplifters will still steal this stuff and try to sell it to unsuspecting people. That, and stealing stuff from customers after purchases are completed.

pixrthis

Reaction score
I think stores should be able to beat the living piss out of the shop lifters. They catch them in the act. But can’t touch them and let them walk out with the stuff.
Completely agree, hard to believe anybody doesn’t.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Could see possibly doing it on cordless stuff, just because the technology is different. The old school. Corded stuff though, don't see it. They would have to reconfigure everything. Been just a cord-switch-motor forever.

WYRD

Reaction score
Could see possibly doing it on cordless stuff, just because the technology is different. The old school. Corded stuff though, don't see it. They would have to reconfigure everything. Been just a cord-switch-motor forever.
Hilti has been using this technology for a few years now

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Hilti has been using this technology for a few years now
Glad my staff's old...but now I wonder if the "used"/pawn market is going to explode. Seen the vids and even had people here talk about work trucks getting jacked. I hope it doesn't make that worse.

Taboma

Reaction score
Sounds like something else to break down the road... what exactly could they put in an electric power tool to make it not work?

I guess we will find out soon.
We've all opened an old drill or saw to replace a cord, there's no rocket science contained within. So I must admit to being curious how some bluetooth activated kill switch is going to prevent popping open the case and jumpering the device. Or this means, tools will now contain some board with micro-processor controls, rather than a simple switch or speed controller and when it breaks, there's no options but to toss it. :mad:

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
The tool guy at our company yard says that Makita has a technology that will only allow tools that have programmed batteries work with them. So if someone steals a tool or battery from our company, it won't work without the programmed battery to the tool and vice versa.

Taboma

Reaction score
My cordless can be opened, I've repaired a few cordless yard tools, and there's no magic inside, well, not yet anyway.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The tool guy at our company yard says that Makita has a technology that will only allow tools that have programmed batteries work with them. So if someone steals a tool or battery from our company, it won't work without the programmed battery to the tool and vice versa.
Sounds like every battery will now be $200

That system will be easily hackable inside of 6 months anyway.

Taboma

Reaction score
Well fuck, I guess I better plan on keeping my large cache of old-tech Makita cordless tools in good order then. Some of the yard tools I've been forced to choose other brands because Makita has gone safety bonkers, to the point that the tool functionality has been compromised. I love my Makita stuff, I'm still using batteries that are 11 years old and the only thing I've broken is an impact driver, but it was clearly my fault.
I've hacked a few batteries to allow them to work in other devices Makita deemed were wrong, they now are completely universal with any number of my Makita tools. But if they start this micro-processor chip crap, I'm out.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, on a side note, if the technology becomes prohibitive, all these tools were made to make life easier...
That means the job and work were done by hand before.
I had never seen a wire nut socket on a drill before this year. Cool, but never knew they existed.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Well, on a side note, if the technology becomes prohibitive, all these tools were made to make life easier...
I had never seen a wire nut socket on a drill before this year. Cool, but never knew they existed.
I still have my yankee and I’m not afraid to use it. Batteries never die and no chip will shut it off.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Some wealthy entrepreneur will hack it so he can send out his troup of smash-n-grabbers.

DLC

Reaction score
plan A-
If you catch someone shop lifting you should call 911 for an Ambulance only ! Because you should be able to lop off a finger !! Ambulance would take them to the HOT IRON zone

plan B-
snipers!

Im surprised stores like Depot, Lowes, cvs, wall greens and Walmart / Target all the big stores don’t post online pics of shop lifters!

Taboma

Reaction score
Funny, how I could wire almost anything with a couple of hand tools and a Yankee if I was back in the later 60's doing residential production work.
Now, I see these young guys with huge bags and a cordless tool for everything. If you listen carefully, you can hear a choir of Chiropractors rejoicing. 😁

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Wire nut socket????????????????? You mean twisting a plastic covered sleeve involves a TOOL?????????

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Im surprised stores like Depot, Lowes, cvs, wall greens and Walmart / Target all the big stores don’t post online pics of shop lifters!
Privacy violation, without a conviction, it’s slander. Good luck getting a prosecution let alone a conviction.

Reactions: DLC

Taboma

Reaction score
My favorite was getting pinched!!! Oh how I loved that!!:eek:
Oh yeah, that too, not to mention those cute holes in the drywall --- Oops !!!!!!!
I was wiring homes in Fountain Valley and Huntington Beach using ALUMINUM, so all receptacles were sidewired --- Ouch, Ouch, Ouch !!!!!!!

Taboma

Reaction score
Wire nut socket????????????????? You mean twisting a plastic covered sleeve involves a TOOL?????????
Oh yeah it's so cool, in the hands of youthful "Instant Journeymen" it not only twists the bare conductors in the wire nut, but the entire length of the conductors all the way to the back of the box. :oops: God Help you, if you ever have to un-twist that mess, you will be inventing word groups never thought possible. 🤣

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
In 2 days some China programmer will have the system beat. Unless the tool has some way to call home to periodically check it’s validity then it’s just as simple as breaking the encryption during activation. Which can EASILY be done with Bluetooth (they mention using Bluetooth during the activation process and low power Bluetooth is extremely cheap to implement) sniffing hardware. It’s an extremely insecure communication method.

Imagine having to run a Milwaukee app on your phone so your tools can “activate.”

But they cost 25% less…

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Oh yeah it's so cool, in the hands of youthful "Instant Journeymen" it not only twists the bare conductors in the wire nut, but the entire length of the conductors all the way to the back of the box. :oops: God Help you, if you ever have to un-twist that mess, you will be inventing word groups never thought possible. 🤣
That’s why the screw gun goes in reverse too :)

Taboma

Reaction score
That’s why the screw gun goes in reverse too :)
Yup, the wire nut spins right off, but those two or three or more conductors wound up like a rubber band on a balsa airplane, they're just leering at you and laughing. The other minor problem is that conductor that you nicked while stripping, that broke off when it was over torqued, but it's still wound up with the bundle, hiding, knowing you'll be back. 😂
Nope, I want to feel the wire nut as it secures the conductors, although I have used a hand held larger diameter torque multiplier tool 3M used to make, for the large blues.

blueflaminhot

Reaction score
The idea is to add more obstacles to make thieves move on to other more easily resellable items. Just like putting a lock on your boat trailer, you think if they really wanted your trailer they can’t take it? Adding more obstacles means maybe they will look elsewhere first.

retaocleg

Reaction score
there will be a hacker work around by the time it goes mainstream.....why not just make theft illegal again?🤷‍♂️

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Seems easier to me to just lock the tools in a cage. Have paper “power tools” that they scan at the register. You pay then they open the cage and hand you your tool
They'd have to hire people to do that. The hot ticket is eliminating people. They tried to direct me to the self check out one day while waiting in line for the cashier. The lady said, "you can check your own items over there", I politely told the lady, "I don't work here.".

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Sounds like you would just have to open them up and bypass it

If it's like the Milwaukee "One-Key" stuff the security is in the motor controller i believe, the brushless motors arent like the old scool ones, it takes more than just applying positive and negative to the motor. They need the AC generated by the Motor Control.

They are cool for jobsite guys, your ohone unlocks the tool rendering it useless to theft by the trades

I do worry about whay happens years down the line when the apps aren't supported etc